Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby Eismann on Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:11 am

PensFanInDC wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:I saw The Haunted World of El Superbeasto by Rob Zombie tonight. Great RZ flick...

I want the four hours of my life back from House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects.


They have their merits but they're not great in general.


I enjoyed House for its campiness mixed with some pretty decent atmosphere. Thought some of the characters had good creepy factor.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,873
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:14 am
Location: de minimus

Re: Movie

Postby shmenguin on Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:23 am

House of 1000 corpses is a good watch. It knows what it is and it does it well.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,185
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Movie

Postby Troy Loney on Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:11 am

shmenguin wrote:House of 1000 corpses is a good watch. It knows what it is and it does it well.


I can't really put my finger on it, but I think that movie embodies every element of culture and entertainment that I intuitively reject. I got a little bit through it just based on curiosity, but for me it would almost be like taking a tour of a working slave plantation
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,922
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Movie

Postby Dickie Dunn on Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:17 am

Begin Again (Keira Knightley, Mark Ruffalo, Adam Levine) was an enjoyable date night movie.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,345
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:05 am

Re: Movie

Postby canaan on Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:23 am

Troy Loney wrote:
shmenguin wrote:House of 1000 corpses is a good watch. It knows what it is and it does it well.


I can't really put my finger on it, but I think that movie embodies every element of culture and entertainment that I intuitively reject. I got a little bit through it just based on curiosity, but for me it would almost be like taking a tour of a working slave plantation

I'd love for you to expound on this.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 39,097
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: Movie

Postby skullman80 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:16 am

I liked The Devils Rejects better than House of 1000 Corpses, but liked both movies. Neither made any apologies for what they tried to be.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,751
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Movie

Postby Eismann on Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:26 am

canaan wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:
shmenguin wrote:House of 1000 corpses is a good watch. It knows what it is and it does it well.


I can't really put my finger on it, but I think that movie embodies every element of culture and entertainment that I intuitively reject. I got a little bit through it just based on curiosity, but for me it would almost be like taking a tour of a working slave plantation

I'd love for you to expound on this.


Image
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,873
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:14 am
Location: de minimus

Re: Movie

Postby PensFanInDC on Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:55 am

They are Zombie's homage to grindhouse horror. That is its merit. They are by no means classiscs but they do their job well.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,017
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Movie

Postby Eismann on Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:01 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:They are Zombie's homage to grindhouse horror. That is its merit. They are by no means classiscs but they do their job well.



Speaking of....I've been meaning to watch all of Machete. Only saw about the first 15 minutes or so. Worth the rest?
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,873
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:14 am
Location: de minimus

Re: Movie

Postby Why Not Us on Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:17 pm

IMO, House of 1000 Corpses and Devils Rejects are world's better than Zombie's Halloween remakes.
Why Not Us
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,961
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:31 pm
Location: In a crooked little town

Re: Movie

Postby PensFanInDC on Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:54 pm

Eismann wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:They are Zombie's homage to grindhouse horror. That is its merit. They are by no means classiscs but they do their job well.



Speaking of....I've been meaning to watch all of Machete. Only saw about the first 15 minutes or so. Worth the rest?


15 minutes is about all I could handle. Not a big fan of Rodriguez's recent stuff. But if you're into that I bet its great.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,017
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Movie

Postby PensFanInDC on Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:56 pm

Why Not Us wrote:IMO, House of 1000 Corpses and Devils Rejects are world's better than Zombie's Halloween remakes.


Don't get me started. Halloween is my favorite horror flick of all tome and he crapped on it. Decent idea to dig deep into Meyer's past but poorly executed. I actually saw a 2.25 hour version a biddy of mine got. Its the uber cut. Everything they shot and edited. Do you have any idea how long the rape scene originally was? Irreversible like length. Terrible...
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,017
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Movie

Postby Hockeynut! on Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:37 pm

I think the thing I hated most about Zombie's Halloween is the nihilistic view of the world. Carpenter's Halloween works because Michael is evil attacking "regular" people, because he's pure evil without reason and we can't understand his motives. He could be coming after us. In Zombie's world, he's basically a bad guy killing other bad guys and/or @$$holes. We don't care about them dying, heck, most of them deserve it. It's basically a late stage Friday the 13th/NOES film where you're rooting for the killer because the victims are so annoying. I know Zombie intended to show that Michael's rage was a result of an evil, hopeless world, but I find no enjoyment in watching that.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,284
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:55 am

Re: Movie

Postby Eismann on Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:01 pm

I have Ghost Protocol dvrd, FX version. Comcast says it's four stars. I think others have dumped on it here.

Wat sayest thou?
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,873
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:14 am
Location: de minimus

Re: Movie

Postby PensFanInDC on Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:43 pm

Do you want to see a Tom Cruise action movie? If yes then you will enjoy. I liked it but I expected exactly what it is when I went in.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,017
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Movie

Postby Dickie Dunn on Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:57 pm

I enjoyed Ghost Protocol. The thing I hated most about the movie was Jeremy Renner and I say that about every movie he's in.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,345
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:05 am

Re: Movie

Postby the wicked child on Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:54 pm

Finally busted out the Indy blu-ray set I got back when amazon had it on sale cheap and watched Raiders. Good times.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,870
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: :scared:

Re: Movie

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:50 pm

Gravity was not meant to be viewed without 3d
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,403
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: Movie

Postby Dickie Dunn on Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:59 pm

Warner Bros. panel at Comic-Con today:

Wonder Woman:

Spoiler:
Image


First teaser trailer featured Batman and Superman, with Batman in a previously unseen suit, which is said to look like this suit from The Dark Knight Returns:

Spoiler:
Image


Leaked images:

Spoiler:
Image


Spoiler:
Image
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,345
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:05 am

Re: Movie

Postby Kaizer on Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:56 am

ILikeTurtles wrote:Riddle me this; how does the normal Shredder live through a trash compactor in the first TMNT movie, but a super Shredder can't live through a pier collapse in the second?


1. Just crushed his helmet, the blood: food from the trash?
2. He drowned.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,401
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:02 am
Location: Crazy Town

Re: Movie

Postby eddysnake on Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:00 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:Warner Bros. panel at Comic-Con today:

Wonder Woman:

Spoiler:
Image


First teaser trailer featured Batman and Superman, with Batman in a previously unseen suit, which is said to look like this suit from The Dark Knight Returns:

Spoiler:
Image


Leaked images:

Spoiler:
Image


Spoiler:
Image



Wonder woman looks pretty gnarly, love the white eyes on batman
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,435
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: Movie

Postby Eismann on Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:06 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:I enjoyed Ghost Protocol. The thing I hated most about the movie was Jeremy Renner and I say that about every movie he's in.


Finished watching this morning. Thought it was pretty good, did like the last 30 minutes or so the best. I'd watch it again to put together some story pieces that I'm sure I missed.

Renner didn't bother or elate me. I think I liked the previous three better, though.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,873
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:14 am
Location: de minimus

Re: Movie

Postby columbia on Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:49 pm

The Mad Max trailer is up on the tubes.




I'm not really a fan of most filmmaking from the 80s (everything was so cheesy), so this universe might really benefit from an update.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,369
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Movie

Postby eddysnake on Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:26 pm

awesome. welcome back Mr. Miller. Keeping like the road warrior, I believe max has 16 lines of dialogue in this.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,435
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: Movie

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:05 pm

Kevin Smith's new low budget horror film TUSK.

FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,246
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Nobody Loves Me, Neither Do I...

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


e-mail