LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Tomas on Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:35 pm

My friend from Denver just emailed me an "oops" moment. I won't link it directly, but just google:
broadwell KMGH-TV
(at your own risk)

On a more serious note, I found this Colbert segment (featuring his Super PAC lawyer Trevor Potter) very educational and quite chilling:
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/politics ... -pac-money
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:26 pm

What's this about Texas succeeding?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:33 pm

Texas never succeeds at anything...
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:35 pm

I lol'd

(secede)
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Geezer on Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:41 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/12/world/wed ... hpt=hp_bn2
Egyptian Islamists want to blow up the Sphinx and the pyramids. One of the leaders helped blow up the 3,00 year old Bhudda statues in Afghanistan.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:45 pm

Geezer wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/12/world/wedeman-ancient-monuments/index.html?hpt=hp_bn2
Egyptian Islamists want to blow up the Sphinx and the pyramids. One of the leaders helped blow up the 3,00 year old Bhudda statues in Afghanistan.

How about they blow up themsleves and go from there?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:47 pm

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:40 pm

I'm really surprised that no one (anywhere) has tried to blame Obama for bimbo-gate at the Pentagon.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kaizer on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:27 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I always wondered about this. If you shoot that stupid rifle all the time, you gotta have some hearing loss.

Hearing loss the most prevalent injury among returning veterans
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/13/14728839-hearing-loss-the-most-prevalent-injury-among-returning-veterans

“The military, in general, is just a high noise-producing environment,” Buchanan said. In the Navy, where most sailors work only below deck, there is " the constant drumming of the engines and metal-on-metal noise.”

i think this part is the main deal of the article, and its 100% true. so many work next to huge engines, inside those ships or on a flight line next to F-18's, harriers and whatnot, and just having an EA6B fly over you is enough to leave your ears ringing. on the rifle range you have ear plugs, but the combat guys didnt.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:08 am

Krauthammer: White House 'Held Affair Over Petraeus's Head' For Favorable Testimony On Benghazi
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-shepp ... z2CD4JZwXN
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:20 am

I really want to hear from a non partisan, unbiased, intelligent person why Benghazi is a scandal. How all of these things that are happened are being covered up, and why this cover is supposed to help Obama.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:23 am

There's a lot of good stuff on News Busters.
You need to keep an open mind, Troy.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:06 pm

Geezer wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/12/world/wedeman-ancient-monuments/index.html?hpt=hp_bn2

I'm so sick of that. They keep destroying human history. It's our history. A thousand from now, none of the country/culture war politics will matter. I'm sure we'll have a single government by then and, hopefully, get along better.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:20 pm

ulf wrote:they were both right. they were arguing two different things

I did some looking. That was Romney trying to be sneaky in blaming Obama for something that isn't even occuring. Let's tell it how it is. No BS.

As far as the second part, I remembered reading that Obama was taking leases away from companies that weren't doing diddly squat with the land and handing them over to ones who were willing to use it. Deserves a thumbs up.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/10/17/1030581/at-last-nights-debate-romney-told-31-myths-in-41-minutes/

3) “And the president’s right in terms of the additional oil production, but none of it came on federal land. As a matter of fact, oil production is down 14 percent this year on federal land, and gas production was down 9 percent.”

14 percent is a one-year number. “Overall, oil production on federal land under Obama is up from 566 million barrels in 2008 to 626 million barrels in 2011, a 10.6 percent increase.” Compared to the last three years of President Bush, there have been 241 million more barrels of oil produced from public lands in the first three years of Obama.

4) “Because the president cut in half the number of licenses and permits for drilling on federal lands, and in federal waters.”

There are slightly fewer permits in 2009 and 2010, from between 8,000-9,000 permits to over 5,000, and they have not been cut by half. The oil and gas industry is sitting on 7,000 approved permits to drill, where it hasn’t begun exploring or developing. Two-thirds of “acreage leased by [oil] industry lies idle” on public lands, according to the Department of the Interior.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:02 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:His blatant lies on healthcare, pre primaries, during primaries, his run for office and then while in office has been one of the most overlooked and under reported lies and scams in political history.

How did that many people vote for a guy who changed his stance to smash Hilary, destroy her on her ideas for plans on mandating individuals, run on a mild corporate based profit system, and then pass a law that has cpmpmay size based care and exactly what he trumped Clinton on?

What lies on healthcare are you talking about? That he originally wanted single-player? I think he still does, but it doesn't have a chance of passing at the moment, so I think he had to lower his expectations.

I remember he and Hilary going head to head when against one another, but they seem to be alright now.

Listen. Opinions are formed on many reasons and perspectives and so be it. That's why I don't really like going back and forth for longer than a few because it just turns stupid. I will just tell you that what I see in Romney is the single biggest liar and flip-flopper that I will see in my lifetime. He did that on pretty much every issue. I mean, as far as I'm concerned we had a Obama, someone that some may have disagreed with on policy or maybe that progress wasn't as quick as expected, and a guy, an actor, who formed his entire campaign and every opinion on polling. He'd change his opinion daily and that isn't a joke even. So he either has some kind of mental issue and can't decide or, more likely, lied out of his ass depending what audience he had and what would be more beneficial to say at the time based on a current poll of some kind.

I think people in the US have the attention span of a fly. Even something as important as Afghanistan. The guy changed his position from one debate to the next. First, being against it as it would be a signal to the bad guys to just wait it out longer. And then in the last one, he adopted Obama's position completely as his own. A 180 turn. Because pullout happend to be popular. You can't trust a guy like that. Sorry. At least, George W told you what he meant and if you didn't like it, tough luck. I knew how he stood.

Here's Romney on abortion:
http://americablog.com/2012/10/romney-flip-flops-twice-on-abortion-in-one-day.html

I said before that the man has no character and I stand by it.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:04 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
ulf wrote:they were both right. they were arguing two different things

I did some looking. That was Romney trying to be sneaky in blaming Obama for something that isn't even occuring. Let's tell it how it is. No BS.

As far as the second part, I remembered reading that Obama was taking leases away from companies that weren't doing diddly squat with the land and handing them over to ones who were willing to use it. Deserves a thumbs up.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/10/17/1030581/at-last-nights-debate-romney-told-31-myths-in-41-minutes/

3) “And the president’s right in terms of the additional oil production, but none of it came on federal land. As a matter of fact, oil production is down 14 percent this year on federal land, and gas production was down 9 percent.”

14 percent is a one-year number. “Overall, oil production on federal land under Obama is up from 566 million barrels in 2008 to 626 million barrels in 2011, a 10.6 percent increase.” Compared to the last three years of President Bush, there have been 241 million more barrels of oil produced from public lands in the first three years of Obama.

4) “Because the president cut in half the number of licenses and permits for drilling on federal lands, and in federal waters.”

There are slightly fewer permits in 2009 and 2010, from between 8,000-9,000 permits to over 5,000, and they have not been cut by half. The oil and gas industry is sitting on 7,000 approved permits to drill, where it hasn’t begun exploring or developing. Two-thirds of “acreage leased by [oil] industry lies idle” on public lands, according to the Department of the Interior.

But you are arguing semantics on one issue, referring to Romeny as some liar and wondering how anyone voted for him. As if all of us on the board couldnt come up wtih 1,000 things that Obama said that was pushing the truth in his advantage (healthcare which I arleady went into deatila about, tax breaks, taxes on the rich vs. capital gains vs. actual salaries, tax breaks for sending jobs overseas).

And you could retort with 1,000 things Romeny then said.

We coudl do this all day. Back and forth and at the end of it everyone would realize we just proved both were actua....gasp....l politicians.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:10 pm

Burghers... I think the ratio of who said what would be 1-50 in Obama's favor. Just, honestly.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:26 pm

Sarcastic wrote:Burghers... I think the ratio of who said what would be 1-50 in Obama's favor. Just, honestly.

I stand corrected.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ossa on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:28 pm

Ron Paul farewell speech is on now.

http://www.c-span.org/Live-Video/C-SPAN/
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:27 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:Burghers... I think the ratio of who said what would be 1-50 in Obama's favor. Just, honestly.

I stand corrected.

If you have a different opinion, I respect that. I can only say how I stand and people can do with that whatever. Someone else can do the same. Just something like the abortion issue. I remember people talking about it for a couple days when it happened. That he just changed his mind 2 or 3 times in one day. They were laughing at it even on the Maher show. If you read that link I posted, it sounds like he's pro-life. But didn't he swear during last debate that he'll be a pro-choice president? I don't know. Of course, that was probably a lie too because he would elect a couple ultra-conservatives to the Supreme Court and then say it's out of his hands (I think 4 of them are in their 70's). My head is spinning.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:28 pm

Knew it was inevitable. Starting in 2014 all our health plan options will be gone, they will be providing HSA's exclusively. Thanks Barry
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:37 pm

I think it's hilarious for people to list Romney's flip-flops (of which there are many) and then pretend Obama is this honest, upstanding dude that's just tryin' his best for America. el oh el
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Geezer on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:55 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I think it's hilarious for people to list Romney's flip-flops (of which there are many) and then pretend Obama is this honest, upstanding dude that's just tryin' his best for America. el oh el

Obama was flopping before his first election. He promised to use public funding only and challenged McCain to do the same. Then he found out he would easily surpass McCain's fundraising and he dropped that pledge like a red hot potato
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:56 pm

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kaizer on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:57 pm

is that a staal brother?
Kaizer