LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Gaucho on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:59 pm

There's more than one?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:00 pm

:chugs:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:02 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:Knew it was inevitable. Starting in 2014 all our health plan options will be gone, they will be providing HSA's exclusively. Thanks Barry

Seems to be the direction my company is heading in as well.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:35 pm

Realtime war: Israeli military liveblogs, tweets attack on Hamas
http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/14/3645 ... et-warfare
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BigMcK on Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:41 pm

In an effort to head off complaints, our conference call on benefits was prerecorded with a FAQ attachment to the notice. Surprised this wasn't addressed until near the end.

"Few dispute that as our nation readies itself to comply with legislative mandates requiring insurance for everyone, health care costs will continue to rise. This new reality is leaving millions of insured families more vulnerable to catastrophic medical bills, even as deductibles and premium contributions are increased. Unfortunately, health care reform deals with access only, and not with costs. The expectation is that costs will continue to rise as the system absorbs the significant influx of individuals presently uninsured."

So the Fed's mandate that you have insurance with no regard to cost. Great law that will require a bail-out of those that pay more into the system for those that don't.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Postby mac5155 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:41 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:Knew it was inevitable. Starting in 2014 all our health plan options will be gone, they will be providing HSA's exclusively. Thanks Barry

Do either of your companies self-insure? I'm hoping since mine does that we will be somewhat immune to Obamacare but I'm not counting on it.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:55 pm

Forget that tickle me Elmo scandal (which fortunately wasn't one), Grover is not happy:
http://www.salon.com/2012/11/14/is_it_g ... _norquist/
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:11 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:Burghers... I think the ratio of who said what would be 1-50 in Obama's favor. Just, honestly.

I stand corrected.

If you have a different opinion, I respect that. I can only say how I stand and people can do with that whatever. Someone else can do the same. Just something like the abortion issue. I remember people talking about it for a couple days when it happened. That he just changed his mind 2 or 3 times in one day. They were laughing at it even on the Maher show. If you read that link I posted, it sounds like he's pro-life. But didn't he swear during last debate that he'll be a pro-choice president? I don't know. Of course, that was probably a lie too because he would elect a couple ultra-conservatives to the Supreme Court and then say it's out of his hands (I think 4 of them are in their 70's). My head is spinning.

I respect your opinion and you choose which candidate fits you and that is the way it's supposed to be.

I get it. However, it's just back and forth. You pick out a flip flop by Romney. I can pick out plenty by Obama and then you say "but Romney had more".

it's pointless. all of this silly social issue type that will never wver change and politicians including Barry (see gay marriage) flip on for whatever vote they are going for but MY guy had a change of heart. Your guy is a liar.

I focus on the issues I find most important. He destroyed Hilary in the primaries over an issue he fully supported before, then reverted back once elected. His previous rhetoric not just on the law but variations of for and against individual mandates, not a full single payer system. He also on ran on variations of a corporate profit based system (screw the big money companies! Yeah! Evil) then passed an employee size system.

I care because this law was PASSED and changed the culture of our country and our companies and how they do business.

You are focused on abortion quotes and some idiot on tv laughing about them as if his opinion means squat. When no law has been changed or effected since hippies played in the mud.
Last edited by BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jf on Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:27 pm

BigMcK wrote:In an effort to head off complaints, our conference call on benefits was prerecorded with a FAQ attachment to the notice. Surprised this wasn't addressed until near the end.

"Few dispute that as our nation readies itself to comply with legislative mandates requiring insurance for everyone, health care costs will continue to rise. This new reality is leaving millions of insured families more vulnerable to catastrophic medical bills, even as deductibles and premium contributions are increased. Unfortunately, health care reform deals with access only, and not with costs. The expectation is that costs will continue to rise as the system absorbs the significant influx of individuals presently uninsured."

So the Fed's mandate that you have insurance with no regard to cost. Great law that will require a bail-out of those that pay more into the system for those that don't.

Then your employer has to report the value of your health care to the federal government . Guess where that is all leading ?
jf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BigMcK on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:10 pm

jf wrote:Then your employer has to report the value of your health care to the federal government . Guess where that is all leading ?

Being that medical insurance isn't my forte, my guess for next open enrollment will be a short prerecorded message that says something like: "Go get it from Obama; we are done."

I am curious as to your thoughts?
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:34 pm

BigMcK wrote:
jf wrote:Then your employer has to report the value of your health care to the federal government . Guess where that is all leading ?

Being that medical insurance isn't my forte, my guess for next open enrollment will be a short prerecorded message that says something like: "Go get it from Obama; we are done."

they can't if they 50 employees, the law says if you have 50 workers, any of them working 30 or more hours must be offered coverage.

If not you will be fined $2000 per employees in your company. Not just emoyees not covered, fined for every employee you have.

Unless I misunderstood you question.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:56 pm

The easy way around that is to offer an HSA though, right?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:20 pm

mac5155 wrote:The easy way around that is to offer an HSA though, right?

There is minimum coverage requirements:

The minimum level of coverage required to meet the individual mandate was specifically designed to allow for the purchase of a qualified high deductible plan that would complement the HSA.

The ACA creates four benefit categories of plans plus a separate catastrophic plan to be offered through the Exchange, and in the individual and small group markets:

– Bronze plan represents minimum creditable coverage and provides the essential health benefits, cover 60% of the benefit costs of the plan, with an out-of-pocket limit equal to the Health Savings Account (HSA) current law limit ($5,950 for individuals and $11,900 for families in 2010)
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:35 pm

BigMcK wrote:

they can't if they 50 employees, the law says if you have 50 workers, any of them working 30 or more hours must be offered coverage.

If not you will be fined $2000 per employees in your company. Not just emoyees not covered, fined for every employee you have.

The fines are far less than what employers pay for coverage. The whole plan is to get people onto government single payer systems.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:43 pm

DelPen wrote:
BigMcK wrote:

The fines are far less than what employers pay for coverage. The whole plan is to get people onto government single payer systems.

well that depends to a point on the how company is set up. My company yes, with lots of full time employees, companies with more non exempt employees either way it's a huge hit on the bank accounts.

with a company like mine you could in theory cancel everyones coverage and pay the fine instead of offering new plans to qualified non exempt employees you have to under the new law.

I'm not arguing the point, just posting some info.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:03 pm

My last word on flip-flopping:

The election is over.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:48 am

Oil giant BP has agreed to pay the largest criminal penalty in U.S. history, totaling billions of dollars, for the 2010 oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, a person familiar with the deal said Thursday.

The person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak on the record about the deal, also said two BP PLC employees face manslaughter charges over the death of 11 people in the explosion of the Deepwater Horizon oil rig that triggered the massive spill.

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?secti ... id=8886429
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:50 am

Good.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:02 am

mac5155 wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:

Do either of your companies self-insure? I'm hoping since mine does that we will be somewhat immune to Obamacare but I'm not counting on it.

No
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:44 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:

No

Self-insurance was an option until this benefits period. Its been done away with and if you don't choose a healthcare option you get auto-enrolled into the HSA plan.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:49 am

Video: Glenn Beck Claims the Obama White House Set Up David Petraeus to "Discredit the Military"
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/politics ... -discredit

I was just listening to him and he is going with this theory again today.

It seems legit.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:50 am

Jindal throws Romney under the bus....

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la ... 3762.story
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:59 am

columbia wrote:Video: Glenn Beck Claims the Obama White House Set Up David Petraeus to "Discredit the Military"
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/politics ... -discredit

I was just listening to him and he is going with this theory again today.

It seems legit.

And of course the Liberal media is ignoring the scoop.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:01 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:

No

Self-insurance was an option until this benefits period. Its been done away with and if you don't choose a healthcare option you get auto-enrolled into the HSA plan.

the insurance exchanges should cover this
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:03 am

jf wrote:
BigMcK wrote:In an effort to head off complaints, our conference call on benefits was prerecorded with a FAQ attachment to the notice. Surprised this wasn't addressed until near the end.

Then your employer has to report the value of your health care to the federal government . Guess where that is all leading ?

single payor system?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR