LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby columbia on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:03 am

They also deny the use of drones in certain situations.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:24 am

What the army should do is put a bomb in one of those drones and allow it to be captured. Then when Iran takes it to their evil underground lair....KABOOM!
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:26 am

The UN general assembly has overwhelmingly approved a resolution calling on Israel to open its nuclear programme for inspection.The resolution, approved by a vote of 174 to six with six abstentions, calls on Israel to join the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty (NPT) "without further delay" and open its nuclear facilities to inspection by the International Atomic Energy Agency. Those voting against were Israel, the US, Canada, Marshall Islands, Micronesia and Palau.

The vote came as a sequel to the cancellation of a high-level conference aimed at banning nuclear weapons from the Middle East. All the Arab nations and Iran had planned to attend the summit in mid-December in Helsinki, Finland, but the US announced on 23 November that it would not take place, citing political turmoil in the region and Iran's defiant stance on non-proliferation. Iran and some Arab nations countered that the real reason for the cancellation was Israel's refusal to attend.

Just before Monday's vote, the Iranian diplomat Khodadad Seifi told the assembly "the truth is that the Israeli regime is the only party which rejected to conditions for a conference". He called for "strong pressure on that regime to participate in the conference without any preconditions".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/de ... P=SOCxx2I2
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:27 am

Report: Bloomberg asked Hillary Clinton to run for New York mayor
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... york-mayor
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:23 pm

Listened to a podcast of face the nation this morning from sunday. First of all...pretty lame that they didn't take the commercial out, that was obnoxious. Second, Lindsey Graham referred to himself in the third person...what a jabroni.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:35 pm

GaryRissling wrote:
The UN general assembly has overwhelmingly approved a resolution calling on Israel to open its nuclear programme for inspection.The resolution, approved by a vote of 174 to six with six abstentions, calls on Israel to join the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty (NPT) "without further delay" and open its nuclear facilities to inspection by the International Atomic Energy Agency. Those voting against were Israel, the US, Canada, Marshall Islands, Micronesia and Palau.

Turnabout's fair play.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:57 pm

GaryRissling wrote:
Just before Monday's vote, the Iranian diplomat Khodadad Seifi told the assembly "the truth is that the Israeli regime is the only party which rejected to conditions for a conference". He called for "strong pressure on that regime to participate in the conference without any preconditions".

In other words, “We demand that Israel attend a conference aimed at banning weapons that it has but none of us (to date) have, which by the way are the weapons that Israel could use to ‘take the rest of us with it’ in the event that we all get together and try to destroy them, which has totally only happened, like, three times already.”

The headline for that story should be “Once Again, Israel Declines Request to Commit Suicide.”
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby GaryRissling on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:09 pm

Shyster wrote:
GaryRissling wrote:

In other words, “We demand that Israel attend a conference aimed at banning weapons that it has but none of us (to date) have, which by the way are the weapons that Israel could use to ‘take the rest of us with it’ in the event that we all get together and try to destroy them, which has totally only happened, like, three times already.”

The headline for that story should be “Once Again, Israel Declines Request to Commit Suicide.”

Iran would have just as strong of a case for using that argument, IMO.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:43 pm

Yeah, that's how I read the story, Gary. Various states in the Middle East - let's call them 'bad guys' - have for years been asked to consent to all manner of U.N. inspections regarding their nuclear programs. Meanwhile, other nations - let's call them 'Israel' - have largely escaped this level of scrutiny. Odd.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:02 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Yeah, that's how I read the story, Gary. Various states in the Middle East - let's call them 'bad guys' - have for years been asked to consent to all manner of U.N. inspections regarding their nuclear programs. Meanwhile, other nations - let's call them 'Israel' - have largely escaped this level of scrutiny. Odd.

I'm going to catch up on this thread later, but have you ever read or watched a documentary how Israel tricked Kennedy who was so completely set against Israel having nukes and why he was so hated by the Israeli gov. at that time? Pretty creepy. I'm talking false doors and rooms during an American inspections visit. Americans didn't find anything because they hid their nuke program so well.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:05 pm

BTW, what the hell is Israel doing. They're commiting diplomatic suicide, one nation at a time. Israeli ambassadors recalled by 5 nations already, with demands Israel stops with their idiotic expansion plan that is to, literally, kill the peace process.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:09 pm

Some big names on the list.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/soccer-pla ... tournament

LONDON (AP) — Dozens of leading footballers have signed a statement protesting UEFA’s decision to stage the European under-21 championship in Israel next year following the country’s recent military offensive in the Gaza Strip.

“We, as European football players, express our solidarity with the people of Gaza who are living under siege and denied basic human dignity and freedom,” the players said in the statement, which was also published on the website of former Tottenham and Sevilla striker Frederic Kanoute.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:33 pm

I have been critical of Israel's policies, and rightfully so, but reading things like that makes me a little uncomfortable. I don't think portraying the Palestines or their leadership as innocent victims is going to solve any problems.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:38 pm

Israel should be criticized for certain policies, but there is a tipping point for these things, when the anti-Semites will see an all clear signal and crawl out from underneath their rocks.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:20 pm

Gaucho wrote:I have been critical of Israel's policies, and rightfully so, but reading things like that makes me a little uncomfortable. I don't think portraying the Palestines or their leadership as innocent victims is going to solve any problems.

The regular people, I can see them as victims but Hamas is as much if not more to blame for their hardships than Israel is. Unfortunately if they question Hamas they will get murdered outright instead of maybe being collateral damage from an IDF strike. Lose-lose situation for them.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:37 pm

Gaucho wrote:I have been critical of Israel's policies, and rightfully so, but reading things like that makes me a little uncomfortable. I don't think portraying the Palestines or their leadership as innocent victims is going to solve any problems.

Didn't the article basically come down to European soccer players objecting to UEFA holding a U-21 tournament in a nation that has a questionable human rights record, and they object to Israel's role in the armed conflict of a couple of weeks ago. Not saying anyone has to agree with the position, but there's no denying it is a legitimate position which is not rooted in bigotry.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:45 pm

GaryRissling wrote:

Didn't the article basically come down to European soccer players objecting to UEFA holding a U-21 tournament in a nation that has a questionable human rights record, and they object to Israel's role in the armed conflict of a couple of weeks ago. Not saying anyone has to agree with the position, but there's no denying it is a legitimate position which is not rooted in bigotry.

No, of course not. It was meant as a general statement. However, the question - which I realize is maybe a little unfair - could be asked where the same football players were when human rights were violated elsewhere.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:46 pm

DelPen wrote:

The regular people, I can see them as victims but Hamas is as much if not more to blame for their hardships than Israel is. Unfortunately if they question Hamas they will get murdered outright instead of maybe being collateral damage from an IDF strike. Lose-lose situation for them.

Oh, it goes without saying that my criticism is generally directed at their respective leadership. As I said before, most Iraelis and most Palestinians would probably be more than happy and capable to coexist peacefully.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:57 pm

Or at least I hope so.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:23 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Yeah, that's how I read the story, Gary. Various states in the Middle East - let's call them 'bad guys' - have for years been asked to consent to all manner of U.N. inspections regarding their nuclear programs. Meanwhile, other nations - let's call them 'Israel' - have largely escaped this level of scrutiny. Odd.

That is a valid point. Personally, I don’t care what countries in the Middle East have nukes, so long as they aren’t flinging them at us. It would kinda suck if they flung them at each other, as the price of oil would skyrocket, but to be honest I don’t think that section of the planet would be much of a loss.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:24 pm

Hm...
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:40 pm

Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:54 pm

:thumb:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:39 pm

Israel accuses US of backing European settlement backlash
http://drudgegae.iavian.net/r?hop=http% ... klash.html
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:59 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't settlements work something like this:

Imagine a minority dominated ghetto in the US (could be LA, Detroit, NY, etc). Now imagine that the US government decides to build nicer subsidized housing in the middle of the ghetto that is only for white people. To keep the white people safe, the government sets up checkpoints manned by white people and security details comprised of course solely of white people who take whatever measures they need to in order to do their job, which is to protect the white people.

I'm kind of still learning how all this works, but is that not pretty much it in a nutshell?
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR