LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby viva la ben on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:22 pm

They need to ban those machines
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby blurryhaze312 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:31 pm

viva la ben wrote:They need to ban those machines

3d printers? Are you serious? Just because the possibility exists for someone to build a gun, you want to ban one of the most exciting newish manufacturing technologies??

It's been around for a while, but now that 3d printing is becoming a cheaper technology, people are doing great things. I know a guy that built a fully functioning robotic "animal" for the Carnegie museum in his own home.

You can make homemade explosives and other weaponry out of a slew of easily-obtainable items - should we ban those, too?
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:40 pm

blurryhaze312 wrote:

3d printers? Are you serious? Just because the possibility exists for someone to build a gun, you want to ban one of the most exciting newish manufacturing technologies??

It's been around for a while, but now that 3d printing is becoming a cheaper technology, people are doing great things. I know a guy that built a fully functioning robotic "animal" for the Carnegie museum in his own home.

You can make homemade explosives and other weaponry out of a slew of easily-obtainable items - should we ban those, too?

And I thought I was the only one who didn't have a sarcasm radar :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby DelPen on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:43 pm

All they fabricated was one part, the receiver. It's what holds the magazine, stock and trigger together:

What broke was the area where the stock and buffer tube connected to the receiver. You still, hoever, need dozens of more metal parts including an upper receiver and barrell. The only thing this would do is avoid a serialized receiver from being produced.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:43 pm

I hope to one day print out a 1990 version of Pamela Anderson android babe.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:44 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I hope to one day print out a 1990 version of Pamela Anderson android babe.

There's not enough plastic in the world...
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:46 pm

DelPen wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:I hope to one day print out a 1990 version of Pamela Anderson android babe.

There's not enough plastic in the world...

Very good. :lol:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby viva la ben on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:47 pm

Could the 3d printer print a 3d printer.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby blurryhaze312 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:50 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
blurryhaze312 wrote:

And I thought I was the only one who didn't have a sarcasm radar :)

It's too hard to tell lately when everyone is over exaggerating their view on the topic one way or another. :lol:
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:00 pm

viva la ben wrote:Could the 3d printer print a 3d printer.

:shock:

Spoiler:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:18 pm

Megan McArdle's article is by far the most logical, rational, and prescient response I have seen thus far to the Sandy Hook shootings:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... sacre.html
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:37 pm

I really don't care about the 'unconstitutional' argument. I think people sometimes hide behind the constitution, including all the free speech advocates who do all sorts of crazy things, nothing to do with speech, then say it's free speech and to bite them. Besides, maybe it's time to update the constitution. Although, you would have to be careful because you know the gov. would like to put something nasty in there.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:38 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I really don't care about the 'unconstitutional' argument. I think people sometimes hide behind the constitution, including all the free speech advocates who do all sorts of crazy things, nothing to do with speech, then say it's free speech and to bite them. Besides, maybe it's time to update the constitution. Although, you would have to be careful because you know the gov. would like to put something nasty in there.

Ammendments?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:40 pm

Also, if the mom didn't have guns in her house, she likely would have still been alive. Unless he stabbed her. But how would he do the attack on school with no gun? Just tells me that her mom owning her guns was the problem. Argument goes back to availability.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:41 pm

Guns don't kill people. Bullets do. :pop:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:42 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Ammendments?

I will not go into specifics of how or in what areas. I'm just looking at the right to bare arms thing. I have to be honest.. I'm not crazy about it. I'm just me and I know others care about that deeply. Just not sure it plays the same role now as it did then.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:43 pm

Sarcastic wrote:Also, if the mom didn't have guns in her house, she likely would have still been alive. Unless he stabbed her. But how would he do the attack on school with no gun? Just tells me that her mom owning her guns was the problem. Argument goes back to availability.

And availability IS NOT the problem.

.01% of gun owners use it to kill other humans. That's statistically insignificant.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:48 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:Also, if the mom didn't have guns in her house, she likely would have still been alive. Unless he stabbed her. But how would he do the attack on school with no gun? Just tells me that her mom owning her guns was the problem. Argument goes back to availability.

And availability IS NOT the problem.

.01% of gun owners use it to kill other humans. That's statistically insignificant.

I beg to differ. In this case it was. The overall % is what's insignificant here.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:51 pm

Again, no one has told me how the guns were stored or what the laws are in CT regarding same.

It's not that the mom had the guns that's the issue. She didn't kill anyone. It's that Adam had access to them.

I'm all for biometric locks in such a situation.
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ulf on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:51 pm

He wouldn't have looked anywhere else for guns? He would have just went on living his life because his mom didn't own guns? There's good arguments for gun control and this isn't one.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:51 pm

Going to pick up my girl and to dinner now. BBL.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:53 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I really don't care about the 'unconstitutional' argument. I think people sometimes hide behind the constitution, including all the free speech advocates who do all sorts of crazy things, nothing to do with speech, then say it's free speech and to bite them. Besides, maybe it's time to update the constitution. Although, you would have to be careful because you know the gov. would like to put something nasty in there.

Yes, I don't see why something being "unconstitutional" prevents change.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:53 pm

ulf wrote:He wouldn't have looked anywhere else for guns?

Where? Like a private sale with no background check? Outlaw those too and give 5 years to anyone who makes a sale.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:54 pm

Anyway. BBL.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:02 pm

It’s illegal in every state to sell cocaine or heroin, with penalties that are often a lot longer than 5 years, but cocaine and heroin are still widely available. And neither cocaine nor heroin are grown or manufactured in the United States in any significant quality. They’re both imported from other nations, many of them quite far away from the United States (like Afghanistan). They still get here. What would stop the same cartels that smuggle literally tons of cocaine and heroin into the United States from adding crates of handguns or rifles to those shipments? If the demand is high enough, the profit will be there, and those people have already demonstrated that they care more about profit than any silly laws.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NHR