LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby doublem on Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:13 pm

taxes are confusing. I really don't pay much attention to them honestly.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Geezer on Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:23 pm

http://www.aei-ideas.org/2012/07/julias ... -year-job/
There are different break even points for when you're better off just going with the flow versus working harder to improve yourself. The only thing that creates real wealth is productivity. The direction we are headed will never be solved by getting enough added tax money from rich people to run the federal government for 8 days. Actually the best thing that could happen from a fiscal cliff jump is would be for people to understand that the tax hikes on everyone still wouldn't cover the trillion dollar credit card Washington approach. That lesson wouldn't be learned though because of the free lunch fantasy that Americans choose to believe.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shyster on Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:24 pm

doublem wrote:taxes are confusing. I really don't pay much attention to them honestly.

You are far from alone. Did you know that attitude was one of the main motivations for collecting taxes through payroll withholdings? When people have to write a single big check for all of the taxes they're paying, they have a much better handle on what they're paying, and they're much more motivated to figure out ways to avoid paying that tax (note: avoiding a tax is not the same as evading a tax). But when the taxes are nibbled away paycheck-by-paycheck, people pay less attention to the mounting balances.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:33 pm

shmenguin wrote:
mac5155 wrote:It would appear if you make more than $40k a year you cannot deduct student loan interest in 2013. Is this correct?

What is it currently, like 50 or 60?

Oh Idk, this will be the first year where my AGI will even sniff 40k lol
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:23 pm

Still think the administration is being completely transparent with respect to Benghazi?

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2012 ... bout-Libya
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby tifosi77 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:04 pm

Sorry, Breitfart is a no-fly zone for my internet.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:07 pm

Shyster wrote:I found a great online calculator that will let you directly compare pre- and post-cliff tax impacts. Go to http://interactive.taxfoundation.org/ta ... calculator. You can even punch in your deductions and exemptions and see how those may be affected.

According to that calculator, our taxes would $7,500 over the cliff. Under the Obama plan, our taxes would go down about $1,000.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:49 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
Shyster wrote:I found a great online calculator that will let you directly compare pre- and post-cliff tax impacts. Go to http://interactive.taxfoundation.org/ta ... calculator. You can even punch in your deductions and exemptions and see how those may be affected.

According to that calculator, our taxes would $7,500 over the cliff. Under the Obama plan, our taxes would go down about $1,000.

And the uncontrolled spending would continue unabated.

It's the ultimate in kicking the can down the road.

You get that right?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby tifosi77 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:06 pm

Wasn't making a case, just reporting results.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hockeynut! on Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:49 pm

Dang, $7560/cliff and $6313/Obama for me. :(
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:50 am

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... chief.html

PRINCE Harry has killed his first Taliban commander, The Sun can reveal.
The 28-year-old gunship co-pilot was called on to unleash a missile strike to eliminate a senior terror leader.
Harry has proved a massive hit with comrades in Helmand, Afghanistan, who have nicknamed him Big H.
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:37 am

tifosi77 wrote:

Just a "curb"
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:46 am

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:

Just a "curb"

Someone has a good memory. :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:51 pm

If someone would pass legislation saying every non-FICA dollar of taxes over the current rates had to go to debt service and ONLY debt service, then it honestly wouldnt bother me that much. I'm sure we could find a way to manage.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:17 pm

tifosi77 wrote:If someone would pass legislation saying every non-FICA dollar of taxes over the current rates had to go to debt service and ONLY debt service, then it honestly wouldnt bother me that much. I'm sure we could find a way to manage.

That doesn't eliminate the deficit or account for future increased levels of spending.

It's good you wouldn't mind it, because given this administration's penchant for wanting to tax its way out of debt, it wouldn't be hard to imagine us all being asked to bend over and pay even higher rates after realization that going to pre-Bush tax levels still doesn't fix the problem. If some is good, more is better! The middle class that Obama claimed to care about is going to get pounded with the elimination of the 10% bracket.

Personally, I'm not thrilled about paying to pick screwed pooches such as initial payments on reverse mortgages, food stamps for 15% of the country being rammed through on the farm bill, selling stake in GM at a loss (General Motors is alive!) etc, etc.

Merry Christmas, all. :fist:
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:50 pm

mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:28 pm

shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:33 pm

The media is above the law. Aren't they? :pop:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby npv708 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:56 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Still think the administration is being completely transparent with respect to Benghazi?

First off, Bolton is one of the worst people I've ever had the displeasure of meeting. He is a terrible, terrible human being, and a grade-A jagoff who, was made US Ambassador to the UN during a recess appointment, even though he didn't see any use for the UN, and couldn't pass the Senate nomination process when he lost Republican support.

Secondly, lets take a look at who's been calling Hilary Clinton out for faking this.

- Breitbart
- Former Rep. Allen West
- John Bolton

What a reputable list of well-respected people...

Third, even Greta, who has her own show on Fox News, called her colleagues out for this..
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:59 pm

npv708 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:Still think the administration is being completely transparent with respect to Benghazi?

First off, Bolton is one of the worst people I've ever had the displeasure of meeting. He is a terrible, terrible human being, and a grade-A jagoff who, was made US Ambassador to the UN during a recess appointment, even though he didn't see any use for the UN, and couldn't pass the Senate nomination process when he lost Republican support.

Secondly, lets take a look at who's been calling Hilary Clinton out for faking this.

- Breitbart
- Former Rep. Allen West
- John Bolton

Third, even Greta, who has her own show on Fox News, called her colleagues out for this..

Because all of the different things that have happened are just one big happy coincidence right?

Come on, dismiss any one of them, but all of them?

ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Geezer on Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:34 pm

npv708 wrote:

- Breitbart
- Former Rep. Allen West
- John Bolton

Breitbart's dead so his calls are likely muffled.(I'm sure you knew this and are referring to his website but why pass up a chance at an easy cheap shot at a frequent debate foe). I can't disprove her got-the-convenient0flu-fell -down-and-got-concussed story. But right after Benghazi she skipped to Peru for a llama convention or some such nonsemse, showec no backbone by letting Susan rice do her stellar news show lie a thon and then Hilary skipped some other hearing because she was "exhausted". I can't find any reason for her opponents not being publicly skeptical of her. This also follows the fake "resignations" of 3 state department employees.

If you follow the trail of events from the disgraceful security arrangements, the way the 9/11 potential was totally ignored, the lack of any kind of a plan for such attacks, the non-response during the attack and having no available military response should have Hilary and others fired. The main question I have is whether Clapper is a bigger liar than she is. I know you'll disagree with all of my assertions.

Answer me one question. We have Marines guarding the American embassy in Jamaica but this administration and secretary of state outsourced protection to the 17th Martyrs brigade ,which is a muslin radical militia. The attackers were affiliated with the Martyrs brigade. The brigade is named after radical Muslims who were killed in attacks carried out because of the Danish cartoonist.
My question is how can anyone defend this kind of decision making? IMO it's way beyond stupid decision making; it borders on criminal negligence.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby npv708 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:47 pm

Question for both EPP and Geezer:

What do you think could possibly come out of an open Senate hearing (chaired by a Democrat, who just happens to most likely be the next Secretary of State...) on Libya with Clinton that hasn't been brought up in the individual Senate meetings with Ambassador Rice and the Senate and House hearings with Burns (Deputy Secy of State) and Nides?

If you've read the report released and watched the hearings, you're hearing many of the same talking points that have already been detailed to death. The State department did not properly handle security requests from Libya and it resulted in the death of 4 Americans.

Here's the big question: What would Hilary Clinton actually have to hide from? Seriously, do you think some massive revelation that her and Obama teamed up and intentionally left the consulate unprotected and then covered it up?

Be serious now, you guys haven't been happy with what Rice, Burns, and Nides have said, why would that change with Hilary?
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:57 pm

npv708 wrote:
Here's the big question: What would Hilary Clinton actually have to hide from? Seriously, do you think some massive revelation that her and Obama teamed up and intentionally left the consulate unprotected and then covered it up?

Looks like you answer that question yourself.

npv708 wrote: The State department did not properly handle security requests from Libya and it resulted in the death of 4 Americans.

Who is incharge of that Department? And who does she report to?

Hello?

No one said it was intentional. But it certainly was a case of gross negligence that has been swept under the rug by the Obama Administration.

You admit as much yourself, or am I reading you wrong?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby npv708 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:08 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
npv708 wrote:

Looks like you answer that question yourself.

npv708 wrote: The State department did not properly handle security requests from Libya and it resulted in the death of 4 Americans.

Who is incharge of that Department? And who does she report to?

Hello?

No one said it was intentional. But it certainly was a case of gross negligence that has been swept under the rug by the Obama Administration.

You admit as much yourself, or am I reading you wrong?

Okay.

- Resignation of three senior level career State department officials is not "being swept under the rug by the Obama Administration."
- Implementing 29 Recommendations from the report is not sweeping something under the rug.
- Coming out in 2 open hearings and saying the systematic failure of the State department security means is not sweeping something under the rug.

and for the record, Hilary has still agreed to testify at both open/closed Congressional hearings, but after she recovers. What is the problem with that?
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:14 pm

Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR