LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby npv708 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:25 pm

Somebody give Hilary an Oscar, cause if you think she still faking, that's one heck of an acting job...
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:34 pm

So, we all going over the cliff tomorrow? Is America going to be destroyed come January 1st or can i go back to not paying attention?
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:37 pm

npv708 wrote:Somebody give Hilary an Oscar, cause if you think she still faking, that's one heck of an acting job...

The only acting job she's done (and did deserve an Oscar) was standing firmly by Bubba back in the 90s
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:40 pm

That woman I wrote about who pushed a man in front of a train in the NYC subway and killed him. Well, they got her. Earlier I read she was going to get 25 years to life. They now first want to give her a psychiatric test. It got me pretty pissed off. She said she has hated Hindus and Muslims since 9/11, and thought that man looked like a Muslim (turns out he was a Hindu). She said she would go out and beat up people she thought were Muslims. She's not crazy. She's just a massive B. I don't want to get the whole death penalty debate going again, but you know what I would do with her.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20121228/US.Subway.Push.Death/
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:04 am

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:29 am

Happy Debt Cieling Day!

In typical DC fashion, that can is also kicked down the road thanks to some creative Treasury movements.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:55 pm

If I was a democrat, I'd be pissed they are calling this a "fiscal cliff". These are the wonderful Clinton tax rates that will save mankind. After all everything that has gone wrong the past 10 years are due to people getting to keep more of their own money - ie the Bush tax cuts. I think discussing fiscal policy is fine, one can even have a healthy discussion, but to demonize the Bush tax rates for 10 years, ever since the day they were voted on, then turn around and call it some kind of fiscal cliff is nonsense.

Hell I remember when the Bush tax rate cuts only affected the top 1%, now they magically are a fiscal cliff that will hit the middle class. Maybe something changed with them? It's not like an income tax bracket chart is all that complicated - but who knows.

If you think the Clinton Tax Rates will fix the economic woes of this country - then this is no fiscal cliff - it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Personally I think it's exactly what Obama and the democrats in the senate/house want. The bonus is that they can call it a fiscal cliff, and blame it on republicans. I have to applaud, but with the media carrying the water on this - confusing things like income taxes and capital gains taxes as they cover the issues - it's like idolizing the poker play who stacked the deck.
DropEmJayBird
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:03 pm

It's funny because the Bush tax cuts were better on the middle class than just about anything Obama has proposed.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:19 pm

I'm convinced the R's want the "fiscal cliff" to happen too. They know taxes are bound to increase for the 1% but they don't want to have to vote for tax increases. This allows the taxes to go up on the 1%ers and they can claim it was all the D's fault.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:24 pm

It doesn't matter what happens. The GOP will be blamed.
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby doublem on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:35 pm

cut taxes on the 250 plus, yep.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:24 pm

doublem wrote:cut taxes on the 250 plus, yep.

What's your point 2xM?

What about proliferate spending? Why always the concentration on tax increases for the >250k. Even if that were conceded it doesn't amount to more than a spit in the ocean compared to unbridled spending...

Neither tax increases or cutting big government are unilateral solutions... They have to be taken together. I do get that you have an axe to grind that some people have more than you, but simply confiscating their wealth isn't going to fix the problem.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby doublem on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:30 pm

it's my jealous I get it, I get it. Is that the best you can do?
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:31 pm

doublem wrote:it's my jealous I get it, I get it. Is that the best you can do?

Answer the question...
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby doublem on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:32 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:

Answer the question...

I want to cut spending in a lot of areas. sure. is that the question?
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:38 pm

doublem wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

Answer the question...

I want to cut spending in a lot of areas. sure. is that the question?

Where? What's your solution on the spending side? Is it the same as the ridiculous proposal to raise SS benefits slower than the rate of inflation so that even more seniors drop below the poverty line?

Word out of Washington this afternoon is that they finally came to their senses and dropped that ridiculous proposal.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby doublem on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:43 pm

I would cut military spending by like 75%, I would cut these rid public works pension for people that work for Penndot and stuff like that.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:45 pm

Looks like the "deal" that will ultimately be arrived at is to approximately maintain the status quo. Consider the can kicked. So much for deficit reduction.

For laughs, I hope they extend the payroll holiday one more year.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:46 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:I'm convinced the R's want the "fiscal cliff" to happen too. They know taxes are bound to increase for the 1% but they don't want to have to vote for tax increases. This allows the taxes to go up on the 1%ers and they can claim it was all the D's fault.

The reason I keep hearing is if taxes go up they can then vote to cut everyone else's tomorrow so they technically never vote to raise taxes.

This is all stupid. Either cut spending $ 1 trillion now or raise everyone's taxes $1 trillion or meet in the middle. But we will get a whopping $100 billion in tax increases at best but really will be less since economic activity will decrease and people will get better at hiding their money and spending will still increase until $2 trillion deficits are normal.

Get rid of them all.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:58 pm

The fact outside of a handful of GOP Sens and Congress folk no one in Washington could give a hoot about the deficit.

...and cutting Defense spending is a joke. Who exactly is going to keep the world's shipping lanes open when the U.S. has a Navy the size of Belize?
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Geezer on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:59 pm

doublem wrote:I would cut military spending by like 75%, I would cut these rid public works pension for people that work for Penndot and stuff like that.

Do you realize PennDot pensions have nothing to do with the federal budget?
There is definitely a pension and benefits problem with public employees; but that will never be touched. Have you seen those people in action when politicians try to limit their bargaining power in states? Unions,especially public unions, are the cadre and money machines for the Democratic party.
I was hoping Republicans would put their money where there mouths are and call for an end to defined pensions for elected officials and all their staffers. That would be a step in the right direction and would be immensly popular with voters.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:08 pm

Alejandro Rojas wrote:The fact outside of a handful of GOP Sens and Congress folk no one in Washington could give a hoot about the deficit.

...and cutting Defense spending is a joke. Who exactly is going to keep the world's shipping lanes open when the U.S. has a Navy the size of Belize?

Maybe you Canadians could step up your game, so the US wouldn't have to spend so much? :wink:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Geezer on Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:12 pm

Don't Canadians have Draconian taxes on beer? I'm disappointed we haven't heard the Draconian cuts term yet.

I think I'd like people from Draconia but I've never met any.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:22 pm

doublem wrote:I would cut military spending by like 75%, I would cut these rid public works pension for people that work for Penndot and stuff like that.

I'm all for cutting back Military spending, but 75%? Over what time period? In what areas?

I'd love to make you the point man on announcing base closures. :) I don't know of you're old enough to remember the last time we had wide scale base closures, it was almost comical.

The number of bases we maintain around the globe is nuts... I see no need to continue to maintain some of our military prescense in say England :pop:

As for cutting Penn Dot pensions as a way to reduce federal spending... I'm not sure there's anyway to respond to that, um, ah, yeah.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:07 pm

So AJ is P_G?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR