LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:05 pm

Kim Jong-un announces "radical changes" for the new year and extensive reforms. Welp, go ahead.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:07 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:The Department of the Navy was, is and ever shall be, the primary tool for military intervention and security.

The Navy is international logistics. A very important component to be sure, but "Primary Tool"? I wouldn't want to have to argue that point with the late General Schwarzkopf.

I wouldn't want you to argue that, either, cos it's wrong. :lol:

When crisis erupts in the world, the president does not ask "Where is the nearest Army brigade?" Land forces (Army and Air Force) require land to operate from, meaning permission from some host country..... permission that, often times, is not forthcoming. For example, the Iraq assault in Operation Desert Storm was only possible because Saudi Arabia allowed U.S. forces to stage out of their territory. However, there were three carrier battle groups operating in the Red Sea and Persian Gulf within weeks of Iraq's invasion of Kuwait representing a tactical capability greater than the entire Iraqi air force at the time, and two more carriers eventually completed the order of battle. All the while patiently waiting for the land forces to build up over three months......

Nearly half the world's population - and its associated infrastructure - lives within 150 miles of the sea. An aircraft carrier represents 4.5 acres of sovereign U.S. territory and its battle group can steam wherever it pleases. Until either of these factors change, the Navy will be primary tool of 'diplomacy by other means'.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:11 pm

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:I've seen nothing about the payroll holiday being extended, so we will all be paying 2% more.

What a gimmick, as are all "temporary" tax policy changes.

I've always thought that 'holiday' nothing more than a semantic gimmick, anyway. At my take-home level 2% amounts to less than $100 every month. What economic activity am I going to generate with that $100 that I could not do without it? It's honestly less than negligible.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ulf on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:15 pm

For someone starting out on their own like me, I would love to not give up $900 next year, and save that instead.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:18 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
King Sid the Great 87 wrote:I've seen nothing about the payroll holiday being extended, so we will all be paying 2% more.

I've always thought that 'holiday' nothing more than a semantic gimmick, anyway. At my take-home level 2% amounts to less than $100 every month. What economic activity am I going to generate with that $100 that I could not do without it? It's honestly less than negligible.

It won't change my habits, but I could see a single teacher making $50k annually, living in an area where rent goes for $800-$1000/month for a one bedroom feeling squeezed.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:38 pm

tifosi77 wrote:

Most folks I know will just spend $1200 a year less on video games :pop:

Who needs the video game or entertainment industry anyway? ;)

tifosi77 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:The Department of the Navy was, is and ever shall be, the primary tool for military intervention and security.

The Navy is international logistics. A very important component to be sure, but "Primary Tool"? I wouldn't want to have to argue that point with the late General Schwarzkopf.

I wouldn't want you to argue that, either, cos it's wrong. :lol:

When crisis erupts in the world, the president does not ask "Where is the nearest Army brigade?" Land forces (Army and Air Force) require land to operate from, meaning permission from some host country..... permission that, often times, is not forthcoming. For example, the Iraq assault in Operation Desert Storm was only possible because Saudi Arabia allowed U.S. forces to stage out of their territory. However, there were three carrier battle groups operating in the Red Sea and Persian Gulf within weeks of Iraq's invasion of Kuwait representing a tactical capability greater than the entire Iraqi air force at the time, and two more carriers eventually completed the order of battle. All the while patiently waiting for the land forces to build up over three months......

Nearly half the world's population - and its associated infrastructure - lives within 150 miles of the sea. An aircraft carrier represents 4.5 acres of sovereign U.S. territory and its battle group can steam wherever it pleases. Until either of these factors change, the Navy will be primary tool of 'diplomacy by other means'.

I did conceed the logistics angle. But as there's only so much you can with ariel attacks and shelling. Eventually you need "boots on the ground".

It's like saying the most important part of Amazons business model is UPS :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby columbia on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:29 pm

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:35 pm

columbia wrote:The lottery of life

What? No Tahiti?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Geezer on Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:01 pm

http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2013/ ... nding-cuts
Roughly $1 in spending cuts for every $40+ in new taxes. I have to be careful of what I wish for; I was hoping something would be done about the debt and deficit. Something was done. Barry also went on record that future cuts would be done on his balanced approach; any cut would be offset by a tax increase(on any non friends of Barry I imagine). I always figured he'd embrace the California model and he has.

So his Simpson - Bowles commission recommended $3 in cuts for every $1 in new taxes and we got < 3 cents in cuts for every $1 in new taxes.
Outstanding work by our Washington drunken sailors.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:28 pm

Why would I want to be born in Singapore?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:46 pm

Gaucho wrote:Why would I want to be born in Singapore?

Livability/GDP/life expectancy?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:59 pm

Singapore is basically a dictatorship or at the very least an autocracy, so no thanks.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby viva la ben on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:08 pm

I don't understand how anyone could say no deal is better than any deal.
Everyone's taxes increase without a deal.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Hockeynut! on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:15 pm

Israel is in the top 20???
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:15 pm

viva la ben wrote:I don't understand how anyone could say no deal is better than any deal.

Taxes need to increase.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:23 pm

viva la ben wrote:I don't understand how anyone could say no deal is better than any deal.

No deal includes tax increases AND spending cuts. This deal is very heavily weighted towards tax increases and kicks the "spending cut can" down the road another two months.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:26 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:Israel is in the top 20???

I hear the shopping malls are very nice.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:34 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
bhaw wrote:So Cliff's Notes for the politically challenged:

Until I get my raise to $450k (:lol:), I will experience no difference in my taxes?

Is any part of your income derived from Dividends? Are you subject to the AMT?

If the answer is no, probably no change in federal income tax. No comment on the 'stealth tax' though.

Both are no, but the 2% payroll tax is a solid chunk of change.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:38 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:I did conceed the logistics angle. But as there's only so much you can with ariel attacks and shelling. Eventually you need "boots on the ground".

It's like saying the most important part of Amazons business model is UPS :)

In almost all scenarios, the boots on the ground aspect requires someone else's permission to accomplish. And the aerial campaigns in Bosnia and Libya have both shown that focused air power can bring about the desired outcomes in certain circumstances.

It's not perfect or without its limitations, but no matter how much you poo-poo it the Navy is the only means that military influence can be wielded without first needed to get the okay from another nation.

I've seen polling that indicates the public considers the Air Force to be the most important branch, but they can really only exert influence once the decision is made to being dropping bombs. An aircraft carrier parked off the coast of your capital city can have an amazing deterrent effect.

Gaucho wrote:Why would I want to be born in Singapore?

Hawker stands. Singapore is the only Asian country I desperately want to visit.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:44 am

tifosi77 wrote:

It was the only way to "cut" taxes on those who don't pay any federal income tax. But it's not about your $50-75 a month, multiply that by 150 million and that's how much is taken out of the economy. For people living paycheck to paycheck, even $25 is going to hurt but this never should have happened to being with. It's like my employer not putting my money in my 401k, adding it to my paycheck and calling it a raise.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:22 am

I found this to be exceptionally well-done.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:49 am

It's about three minutes too long.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:50 am

shafnutz05 wrote:

I found this to be exceptionally well-done.

I don't understand what this is?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:50 am

Gaucho wrote:It's about three minutes too long.

Yes, I confess it does get repetitive the longer you watch it, but I guess the creator wanted to be thorough.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:52 am

eddysnake wrote:I don't understand what this is?

A bunch of celebrities got together to do a PSA demanding "a plan" to combat gun violence. Of course, they didn't offer any insight on said "plan", it was more just a general call for action with sound bytes. Someone interspersed all of their contributions with all of the clips from film and television in which they all have profited from some type of glorified gun violence in the past.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR