LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:25 am

Gaucho wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:I think it would be nigh impossible unless you didnt mind crossing into ridiculous.

Hahaha. Love that movie!
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:35 am

bhaw wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:I wonder how hard it would be to go "made in china" free.

I'd imagine way harder than you think. It may have been in that same article, but I read that some people have looked into it and you'd have a hard time finding some items (and you'd be throwing out A LOT of stuff you've bought).

for those that are interested, theres a "made in america" store near buffalo that is pretty self explanitory. kenny the kangaroo read about it in the wall street journal. they have a real tough time finding t shirts to sell because practically every single one is made elsewhere.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:42 am

bhaw wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:I wonder how hard it would be to go "made in china" free.

I'd imagine way harder than you think. It may have been in that same article, but I read that some people have looked into it and you'd have a hard time finding some items (and you'd be throwing out A LOT of stuff you've bought).

I haven't read this book, but a family tried to do this with mixed results: http://www.amazon.com/Year-Without-Made ... in+the+usa

I often think, whilst looking at cheap holiday decorations or the like, what the Chinese adolescents that manufactured said product think about the U.S. :lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mac5155 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:56 am

Fiancee's biweekly paycheck was $31 less, and mine looks to be about $60 less (bimonthly). almost $200 a month that I need to somehow compensate for while saving for a wedding isn't going to be easy.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:21 pm

We were in the red so we cut cable and a few other things to just about break even. Now we are in the red again. Good thing im not rich so my taxes wont go up.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:26 pm

mac5155 wrote:Fiancee's biweekly paycheck was $31 less, and mine looks to be about $60 less (bimonthly). almost $200 a month that I need to somehow compensate for while saving for a wedding isn't going to be easy.

If that's a reflection of the FICA tax, then that's what your paychecks should have been all along.

I'm sorry, I'm just having a hard time understanding how people ever thought the FICA holiday was a good idea in the first place. As long as FICA is in place, there is no connection between Social Security and the deficit; the program is prohibited by law from spending more than is required to pay out in benefits, any surpluses going into the SS Trust Fund in the form of Treasury bonds. It's structurally impossible for SS to contribute to the deficit...... provided the FICA tax is in place. If it's not in place at its full rate, then any shortfalls must be made up out of the Treasury's general fund, and THAT means it can be contributory to the deficit.

In fact, I assert that the requirement to by T-bills with any surpluses is one of the big structural deficiencies inherent in SS. It creates a 'Rob Peter to pay Paul' kind of scenario where the general fund gets an artificial short-term boost, but that money must still be paid back to the SS Trust Fund. (This was the chicanery of the Clinton budget 'surpluses' of the 90s, the Clinton admin simply stopped recognizing the IOU to the Trust Fund as debt that must eventually be repaid and instead recognized it as revenue to the general fund.) I think it makes more sense to simply put any FICA surpluses in escrow and let them accrue until needed. I'm not an accountant (as may be plainly obvious), but that seems a much better option than allowing the general fund to mooch off the program and put future benefits at risk because of an inability to satisfy the bond issue.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Factorial on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:49 pm

Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:53 pm

That is part of the reason the reform entitlements/boost the DOD "budget hawks" are such scam artists.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:53 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Fiancee's biweekly paycheck was $31 less, and mine looks to be about $60 less (bimonthly). almost $200 a month that I need to somehow compensate for while saving for a wedding isn't going to be easy.

If that's a reflection of the FICA tax, then that's what your paychecks should have been all along.

I'm sorry, I'm just having a hard time understanding how people ever thought the FICA holiday was a good idea in the first place. As long as FICA is in place, there is no connection between Social Security and the deficit; the program is prohibited by law from spending more than is required to pay out in benefits, any surpluses going into the SS Trust Fund in the form of Treasury bonds. It's structurally impossible for SS to contribute to the deficit...... provided the FICA tax is in place. If it's not in place at its full rate, then any shortfalls must be made up out of the Treasury's general fund, and THAT means it can be contributory to the deficit.

In fact, I assert that the requirement to by T-bills with any surpluses is one of the big structural deficiencies inherent in SS. It creates a 'Rob Peter to pay Paul' kind of scenario where the general fund gets an artificial short-term boost, but that money must still be paid back to the SS Trust Fund. (This was the chicanery of the Clinton budget 'surpluses' of the 90s, the Clinton admin simply stopped recognizing the IOU to the Trust Fund as debt that must eventually be repaid and instead recognized it as revenue to the general fund.) I think it makes more sense to simply put any FICA surpluses in escrow and let them accrue until needed. I'm not an accountant (as may be plainly obvious), but that seems a much better option than allowing the general fund to mooch off the program and put future benefits at risk because of an inability to satisfy the bond issue.

Frankly, I'd rather put that 6.2% into my 401k, have my employer match it, and let me be my own savings account.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:10 pm

shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:15 pm

:face:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thepittman on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:16 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Image

:lol:
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:17 pm

Whatever happend to quality journalism?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:23 pm

Eh, I think compared to most media outlets in the world today, The Economist ranks near the top in terms of quality.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:34 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Eh, I think compared to most media outlets in the world today, The Economist ranks near the top in terms of quality.

ABSOLUTELY
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby DelPen on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:48 pm

The only way to cut taxes to those who don't pay any income taxes is to reduce another deduction, in this case it was FICA.

And is anyone else sickened that these clowns in Congress are going to keep the same "leaders" in place? All of them should be tossed from any podium and no longer be given a forum to speak since they have been completely ineffectual at their jobs.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:59 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Eh, I think compared to most media outlets in the world today, The Economist ranks near the top in terms of quality.

That cover is a dud, though.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BigMcK on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:21 pm

Gaucho wrote:Whatever happend to quality journalism?

Piers Morgan wonders about that as well.

:wink:
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:37 pm

BigMcK wrote:

Small wonder when you have to deal with smug arseholes like Larry Pratt.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:39 pm

Lol Piers Morgan... He threatened to deport himself because of gun laws.

Don't let the door blah blah blah. Don't think anyone would care.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BigMcK on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:52 pm

Gaucho wrote:
BigMcK wrote:

Small wonder when you have to deal with smug arseholes like Larry Pratt.

Lesson learned? He should stick to dealing with Hollywood lightweights instead of a person that wasn't impressed by his resume of dealing with Hollywood lightweights.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Postby Geezer on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:46 pm

mac5155 wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:

Frankly, I'd rather put that 6.2% into my 401k, have my employer match it, and let me be my own savings account.

Well who wouldn't? If I revealed what I've paid (+employers match) since 1965 I'd be living large under that scenario. But social security is also a transfer payment. The lower end of income workers get a bigger payoff than middle class folks. I'm actually okay with that since the main goal of social security was to keep elderly people out of abject poverty after working all their lives. The only thing I obect to is the hypocritical opposition to raising the eligibility age by the Democrat imbeciles led by Pelosi,Reid and spendaholic Barry who'd rather bankrupt the country to buy free lunch votes.
This is a painless easy fix. The Dems would rather bone the populace to win elections.And the lemmings lap it up.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:48 pm

You know, John Boehner looks a lot like Gaucho.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:54 pm

That is odd, I was just reading a tweet about Boehner...
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:55 pm

Plus I am wearing lederhosen...
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR