LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby BigMcK on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:24 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:From the standpoint of the effect on the economy, the only thing that matters is that Joe Sixpack has less money to spend.

Joe Sixpack has less to spend while Joseph Government gets more to spend. Joe Sixpack doesn't understand why and isn't going to be happy about having less to spend.

The impact will be felt mostly on Main Street. One more hit on the head of the little guy.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:30 pm

Great, I'll be supporting my parent's retirement earlier than I expected.

And Social Security will be gone in 25 years when I'm eligible.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Geezer on Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:43 pm

Representative Nadler's $1 trillion dollar coin idea
http://economy.money.cnn.com/2013/01/04 ... ?hpt=hp_t2

As good as most progressive approaches
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:05 pm

Geezer wrote:Representative Nadler's $1 trillion dollar coin idea
http://economy.money.cnn.com/2013/01/04 ... ?hpt=hp_t2

As good as most progressive approaches

Leave it to the con artists politicians to come up with something this ridiculous... :face:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:29 pm

http://newyork.newsday.com/news/nation/ ... -1.4407323

Criticism of The Journal News, which published a gun permit database last month, broadened Friday with Rockland law enforcement officials saying the map listing the names and addresses of those with gun permits is endangering lives. Inmates at the Rockland County jail are taunting corrections officers by saying they know the guards' home addresses -- information they got from the list published by Westchester-based newspaper, Rockland County Sheriff Louis Falco said.
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby steelhammer on Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:28 pm

Since environmental issues are always inherently political for some reason: http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/01/lead-crime-link-gasoline
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:03 pm

Alejandro Rojas wrote:http://newyork.newsday.com/news/nation/journal-news-gun-permit-map-endangers-officers-officials-say-1.4407323

Criticism of The Journal News, which published a gun permit database last month, broadened Friday with Rockland law enforcement officials saying the map listing the names and addresses of those with gun permits is endangering lives. Inmates at the Rockland County jail are taunting corrections officers by saying they know the guards' home addresses -- information they got from the list published by Westchester-based newspaper, Rockland County Sheriff Louis Falco said.

I heard there were a few names on the list that were battered ex-wives or girlfriends of violent men whose addresses were previously undisclosed or otherwise unknown to said batteree.

The Journal News displaying a complete lack of integrity and callous disregard for the responsibilities inherent in the exercise of two separate Constitutional rights.

The real comedy, of course, is that it now allows criminals easier access to addresses that don't have guns in them (handguns, at least). Which makes it much easier when planning a robbery in a neighborhood.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:38 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
The real comedy, of course, is that it now allows criminals easier access to addresses that don't have guns in them (handguns, at least). Which makes it much easier when planning a robbery in a neighborhood.

Well, they didn't have a gun when the list came out... Come on by and find out what I got for Christmas.. :pop:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:31 am

OMG, anyone who's up this morning... you have to hear what Nancy Pelosi is saying on "Face the Nation"

The woman is completly clueless...

"If I were President..." - Nancy Pelosi <=- Just the thought of that makes my head spin
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:45 am

Bah, politics.

LET'S GO PENS
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kaizer on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:47 pm

i love how when a few republicans say things that make sense, the headlines read: "GOP MORE DIVIDED THAN EVER"
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tifosi77 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:01 pm

Kaizer wrote:i love how when a few republicans say things that make sense, the headlines read: "GOP MORE DIVIDED THAN EVER"

:lol: :thumb:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:22 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
Geezer wrote:Big Al mind meld with Al Jazeera
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/01/ ... urrent-tv/
I was never a Beck fan but Gore's admitting that his network is in the same belief group as Al Jazeera is rather disgusting. Al Jazeera's view mimics Goebbels.

:lol:

The characterization of al Jazeera..... "anti-American terror mouthpiece"....... :lol: That's not propaganda or anything. :fist:

Al Jazeera is one of the better news organizations in the world, and the fact that they are able to do some of the reporting they do given the restrictions on their operations (like having their NYSE credentials pulled for - *gasp!* - making the war in Iraq seem less-than-rosy) is impressive.

I was very surprised to hear this news, but also pretty happy. I watched Current TV News quiet a lot before Gore took it over and felt they often featured deeper reports than your typical media network. So then, to my surprise, the channel took a complete nosedive when Gore bought it. I thought he was going to do well.. expand and grow, but, to be honest, I haven't had a use for it in years. I didn't like it. So now Al-J buys it, which means we may have a quality network for international news reports in the States. Just the opposite of what Geezer says, this is what is needed. We do not get correct news from our daily news sources and Al-J has been horribly mischaracterized by some in our government and other media. I don't watch their reports daily, but when I do need a story to learn, I never see any anti-US rhetoric, just good and honest reporting.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:26 pm

It would be a more "loyal" channel, if it were owned by an Australian and a Saudi prince.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:00 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:or you could look at it this way: for the past few years, you received a free $150 a month for the past two years because of the tax break. the government gave you a bonus for the past two years. the rate is going back to 6.2%, which is what it was for a very long time.

Where can I send them a thank you note for giving me more access to the money I make the last 2 years? :lol: For me, it amounts to $1500-$2200 less in take home pay over the year. That's fairly significant. I wouldn't be as concerned if that money provided some kind of benefit for giving it up.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:13 pm

I have to admit though... my health plan KILLS my take home. For being in a company with 10,000 employees, our group plan sucks with United. I paid less for a significantly better plan (also with United) in my last company, which was sub 1000 people. I swear that buyers get super lazy in terms of negotiating when it's a large company. The "deals" you get as an employee with preferred vendors are worthless if you have a computer and 30 seconds of time to search for a better one.

Can't wait for "health care reform" to kick in and work this whole thing out :lol: (sarcasm present)
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:19 pm

bhaw wrote:... I swear that buyers get super lazy in terms of negotiating when it's a large company.

That's a generous assessment.

More often, the reasons aren't as, well, above board.

I know an HR employee for a local Fortune 500 here who was responsible for negotiating their plan.

This person used to take their two weeks and head to Lake George NY with their kids. After negotiating the plan, they now spend those two weks at a "friends" time share in Orlando. Last year another neighbor was in the area and they had dinner together. They stopped by the timeshare and there were items in the unit which clearly indicated that said unit was owned by... you guessed it, the health insurer. :face:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:23 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
bhaw wrote:... I swear that buyers get super lazy in terms of negotiating when it's a large company.

I know an HR employee for a local Fortune 500 here who was responsible for negotiating their plan.

This person used to take their two weeks and head to Lake George NY with their kids. After negotiating the plan, they now spend those two weks at a "friends" time share in Orlando. Last year another neighbor was in the area and they had dinner together. They stopped by the timeshare and there were items in the unit which clearly indicated that said unit was owned by... you guessed it, the health insurer. :face:

Yeah, that seems highly likely to be common as well. I need to start doing some homework on getting my own insurance in place.

If I pay for my own insurance out of pocket, do I have the ability to use it as a write off on my taxes at the end of the year?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:53 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
Geezer wrote:Big Al mind meld with Al Jazeera
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/01/ ... urrent-tv/
I was never a Beck fan but Gore's admitting that his network is in the same belief group as Al Jazeera is rather disgusting. Al Jazeera's view mimics Goebbels.

:lol:

The characterization of al Jazeera..... "anti-American terror mouthpiece"....... :lol: That's not propaganda or anything. :fist:

Al Jazeera is one of the better news organizations in the world, and the fact that they are able to do some of the reporting they do given the restrictions on their operations (like having their NYSE credentials pulled for - *gasp!* - making the war in Iraq seem less-than-rosy) is impressive.

I was very surprised to hear this news, but also pretty happy. I watched Current TV News quiet a lot before Gore took it over and felt they often featured deeper reports than your typical media network. So then, to my surprise, the channel took a complete nosedive when Gore bought it. I thought he was going to do well.. expand and grow, but, to be honest, I haven't had a use for it in years. I didn't like it. So now Al-J buys it, which means we may have a quality network for international news reports in the States. Just the opposite of what Geezer says, this is what is needed. We do not get correct news from our daily news sources and Al-J has been horribly mischaracterized by some in our government and other media. I don't watch their reports daily, but when I do need a story to learn, I never see any anti-US rhetoric, just good and honest reporting.

Certainly is no Russia Today.
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ulf on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:54 pm

bhaw wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

Yeah, that seems highly likely to be common as well. I need to start doing some homework on getting my own insurance in place.

If I pay for my own insurance out of pocket, do I have the ability to use it as a write off on my taxes at the end of the year?

If you itemize and your insurance + medical expenses are > 7.5% of your AGI, yes.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:04 am

Before anyone accuses me of being a party "tool". I actrually think the Hagel and Brennan appointments are pretty damn good.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:23 am

I've really liked Hagel for a while now. He was one of the few Senators that seemed to have a backbone and didn't just tow the party line - something that is increasingly rare on D.C. I can't believe some of the R's are throwing such a fit about his nomination.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:32 am

Hockeynut! wrote:I've really liked Hagel for a while now. He was one of the few Senators that seemed to have a backbone and didn't just tow the party line - something that is increasingly rare on D.C. I can't believe some of the R's are throwing such a fit about his nomination.

Opposition to Hagel isn't limited to the Republican side of the aisle.

14 years ago, he opposed an ambassador's nomination because he referred to him as "openly, aggressively gay". That doesn't exactly sound like a beacon of tolerance :pop:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:35 am

The media and Democratic love affair with Republicans that "buck the party line" is always entertaining (albeit totally understandable). McCain was the original "maverick Republican" gold standard, and he received glowing treatment from the major media outlets, right up until he ran for president against the Chosen One. Currently, I would venture to say that Chris Christie is working hard to grab that title, and he is enjoying the hell out of the positive press he is getting.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:48 am

Maybe they should just drop the pretense and have Bibi select someone.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR