LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Geezer on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:19 pm

mac5155 wrote:did your healthcare premiums go up?

Yes and yes. I have retirement benefits plus coverage from my full time retirement job(which you younger guys should anticipate)
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Geezer on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:27 pm

mac5155 wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:I read elsewhere that in several months, those of us under 59 1/2 will be able to convert standard 401(k)s to Roth 401(k)s. This wasn't the case until this new fiscal cliff aversion bill. What it will allow us to do is pay tax on our retirement earnings now, instead of when we withdraw them when we retire. Useful for those of us with 25+ years 'til retirement: http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/01/10/ ... 01k-bonus/

it'll be interesting to see what happens if/when social security goes bankrupt and then they make all retirement savings tax free instead of giving us Social Security.

They will more than likely not make all retirement savings tax free.They will screw you royally unless they need you for an election victory. Than they'll screw future generations. "We don't have a spending problem" King Barry to Boehner. As long as 51% of the voters buy the free lunch b***** the young people in this country are doomed. Since 47% are eating the free lunch plus the dinner buffet it don't look good.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shyster on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:37 pm

mac5155 wrote:it'll be interesting to see what happens if/when social security goes bankrupt and then they make all retirement savings tax free instead of giving us Social Security.

What makes you think the government wouldn’t try to seize our retirement money for itself? Other countries have done that as they slid into bankruptcy and default. Here’s how it’s usually done: Pass a law that says that every investment fund must invest no less than a certain percentage of its money in specific government-approved assets. What assets? Why, the government’s own bonds! For example, say your 401(k) is invested in 5 mutual funds. The government passes a law that says a mutual fund must hold no less than 50% of its assets in government bonds. So half of the money in your 401(k) will end up loaned to the government (at gunpoint) in exchange for bonds that the government will likely never pay back. Boom—the government just took half of your retirement money.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Geezer on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:57 pm

http://bodyodd.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/0 ... snhp&pos=5
This does mesh with the white devil guilt tripper belief system since very few black and brown people have blue eyes.
:)
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BigMcK on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:13 pm

Geezer wrote:http://bodyodd.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/10/16436141-brown-eyes-appear-more-trustworthy-than-baby-blues?lite&ocid=msnhp&pos=5
This does mesh with the white devil guilt tripper belief system since very few black and brown people have blue eyes.
:)

Immediately thought of the experiment conducted by Jane Elliott on blue eyed vs. brown eyed children. Could only find bits of the video on youtube.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:06 am

Shyster wrote:
mac5155 wrote:it'll be interesting to see what happens if/when social security goes bankrupt and then they make all retirement savings tax free instead of giving us Social Security.

What makes you think the government wouldn’t try to seize our retirement money for itself? Other countries have done that as they slid into bankruptcy and default. Here’s how it’s usually done: Pass a law that says that every investment fund must invest no less than a certain percentage of its money in specific government-approved assets. What assets? Why, the government’s own bonds! For example, say your 401(k) is invested in 5 mutual funds. The government passes a law that says a mutual fund must hold no less than 50% of its assets in government bonds. So half of the money in your 401(k) will end up loaned to the government (at gunpoint) in exchange for bonds that the government will likely never pay back. Boom—the government just took half of your retirement money.

Gold, gold, gold, gold, gold, offshore, gold, gold, gold :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:51 am

Got a note from our HR department that the IRS issued updated tax tables and our next paycheck should have the normal amount of federal withholding taken out. :thumbup:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mac5155 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:55 am

so.. you think this issue affected more than just your company? My fiancee's check was super light too, but I didnt look at the paystub, just chalked it up to the extra 2%
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:20 am

mac5155 wrote:so.. you think this issue affected more than just your company? My fiancee's check was super light too, but I didnt look at the paystub, just chalked it up to the extra 2%

Yeah, I have a feeling that may be the case. Our payroll software either didn't update properly or the taxes were higher for the few days before the bill was signed into law. HR didn't specify which, but I would compare her last two pay stubs.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:48 am

Did yesterday's school shooting not get enough run in the media for the zealots on both sides to of the gun control debate to continue arguing their case?
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:55 am

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:Did yesterday's school shooting not get enough run in the media for the zealots on both sides to of the gun control debate to continue arguing their case?

used a shotgun, no deaths, no big deal.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:18 pm

lol, mac!
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:25 pm

Tsar Bloomberg is at it again....

http://politicker.com/2013/01/bloomberg-slaps-down-criticism-of-painkiller-restriction-plan/

He is certainly one of the biggest megalomaniacs that has ever graced the major political stage in recent memory.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:27 pm

man, first telling you the soda size you can buy, now telling you the medication you can get when you go to the ER.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:18 pm

mac5155 wrote:
King Sid the Great 87 wrote:Did yesterday's school shooting not get enough run in the media for the zealots on both sides to of the gun control debate to continue arguing their case?

Agree. No scary "assault weapon" + no "high-capacity" magazine = no possibility to advance current anti-both-of-those agenda = nothing to see here; move along.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:25 pm

Shyster wrote:
mac5155 wrote:

Agree. No scary "assault weapon" + no "high-capacity" magazine = no possibility to advance current anti-both-of-those agenda = nothing to see here; move along.

Isn't the non-reaction what you want?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:01 pm

columbia wrote:Isn't the non-reaction what you want?

Pretty much. I’m only opining on why the media did not seem to view this as a significant story.

Edit: Let me expand on this. If we were truly having a discussion in the United States today about ways to stop school shootings and similar events, we should be examining and discussing the event in California no less vigorously than we are looking at the recent shootings in Colorado and Connecticut. Who was the shooter? What was his motivation? Was he suffering from some sort of mental illness? How did he get the shotgun into the school? Where did he obtain that shotgun? But we aren’t. As the NRA representatives noted in response to their recent meeting with VP Biden’s commission, it is a fait accompli that the only “solutions” that will be pushed are various gun-control methods—like banning “assault weapons” and limiting magazine sizes—that various gun-control groups have been demanding for decades. A shooting that neither involved an assault weapon nor involved a gun with a large magazine doesn’t fit that specific agenda, so it’s not really news.
Last edited by Shyster on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BigMcK on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:41 pm

Many years back, we had a rash of houses that had been broken into in my old neighborhood. I put a note on my front door with an arrow pointing to the right and left. Under, I scribbled: "This house protected by Smith and Wesson. Bill on the left doesn't own a gun. Gabe on the right hates guns."

A couple days later, Bill meets me at our mailbox post and is yelling and cursing at me claiming that I am prodding the robber to break into his house because he doesn't own a gun. Gabe comes out of his house and joins us and says that he was mad at my sign at first, but figured a way around it. He put up a sign on his door with arrows each way and wrote: "Yes, I do hate guns; it would wake up my wife if I had to shoot one inside. Mck on the left owns guns. Jenner on the right, I don't know about."

I never had discussed with Bill or Gabe prior to this point if I had a gun and I honestly had no idea if either of them did. They both assumed based on a handwritten sign that I did. Gabe's sign never admitted that he owned a gun. Bill did admit that he didn't have one.

The robber moved on, I guess based on fear?
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Postby columbia on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:49 pm

Shyster wrote:

Pretty much. I’m only opining on why the media did not seem to view this as a significant story.

Edit: Let me expand on this. If we were truly having a discussion in the United States today about ways to stop school shootings and similar events, we should be examining and discussing the event in California no less vigorously than we are looking at the recent shootings in Colorado and Connecticut. Who was the shooter? What was his motivation? Was he suffering from some sort of mental illness? How did he get the shotgun into the school? Where did he obtain that shotgun? But we aren’t. As the NRA representatives noted in response to their recent meeting with VP Biden’s commission, it is a fait accompli that the only “solutions” that will be pushed are various gun-control methods—like banning “assault weapons” and limiting magazine sizes—that various gun-control groups have been demanding for decades. A shooting that neither involved an assault weapon nor involved a gun with a large magazine doesn’t fit that specific agenda, so it’s not really news.

I only heard of this event briefly this morning. I was distracted (aka getting ready for work) and the only comment I heard was "well, imagine how bad it could have been if the shooter had brought an assault weapon."
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:50 pm

Shyster wrote:

Also, body count wasn't high enough either.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:28 pm

They're trying their damnedest (at least, online anyway) to make this into something bigger.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:39 pm

Shyster wrote:Who was the shooter? What was his motivation? Was he suffering from some sort of mental illness?

It's sort of local to L.A., so there's been a bit more coverage of it in our news. The shooter was victim of bullying, and the two students that were specifically targeted were the perpetrators of the bullying.

Certainly not making an advocacy argument here, but if that turns out to be the case then I'm not nearly as concerned with that as I am with what happened in Newtown or Aurora.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:58 pm

columbia wrote:I only heard of this event briefly this morning. I was distracted (aka getting ready for work) and the only comment I heard was "well, imagine how bad it could have been if the shooter had brought an assault weapon."

In terms of lethality—especially at the close ranges one would be dealing with indoors—a shotgun is actually more lethal than a .223 rifle. The .223 round fired by most so-called assault weapons has a muzzle energy around 1200–1300 ft.-lbs. of energy for most common loads. A 2-3/4” load of 12-gauge buckshot carries a muzzle energy up around 1900 ft.-lbs. of energy. While that energy drops off quickly as distance increases, at across-the-room ranges the shotgun will still be packing more of a wallop than the rifle. While I wouldn’t want to be shot by either under any circumstances, if you offered me the choice I think I would take the rifle.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:01 pm

Presumably the argument was that many more people could have been shot....I don't know any of the details if it, just passing on how some are analyzing it.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:57 pm

columbia wrote:Presumably the argument was that many more people could have been shot....I don't know any of the details if it, just passing on how some are analyzing it.

It takes more effort to reload most shotguns than rifles, true. That doesn't mean they can't fire quite a few shots before reloading. My own shotgun has an extended magazine that holds 7 rounds for 2-3/4" shells, so if there's also one in the chamber I could fire 8 times before reloading. And there are shotguns that can accept detachable magazines just like rifles.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NHR