LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby SoupOrSam on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:46 am

SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:48 pm

Would any of the conservatives here support Jeb Bush for POTUS?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:11 am

At the Supreme Court today, Justice Antonin Scalia told his fellow Justices how privileged he felt to serve on the highest court in the land, adding, “I can say stuff here that got me fired at Kinko’s.”
Responding to quizzical looks from his fellow Justices, Scalia related a little-known chapter from his career, when he briefly worked for the copying establishment in the mid-nineteen-seventies.
“They were pretty uptight,” he reminisced. “It seemed like every time I opened my mouth I got hauled into H.R.”

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/b ... z2MlU0jdf6

:lol:

Spoiler:
That's not real, of course. :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:21 am

columbia wrote:Would any of the conservatives here support Jeb Bush for POTUS?

I don't mind Jeb, just not sure if I want another Bush running. I didn't realize, he pulled 80% of the Cuban vote in 2002 :shock:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jopaz on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:32 am

Maybe this belongs in the weather thread, but I will post here any way. The Federal Govt. is "closed" today due to the snow. Why not make this an unpaid day for the employees that do not work? The essential people are working, nobody really notices that the govt offices are shut down for a day, and this is better than laying off people due to the sequester.
This might have to be negotiated with unions, etc., but it makes a lot of sense. I would be curious to know how much money could be saved for each snow day. Maybe the same logic could apply to some of the other government holidays like Presidents day and Columbus day. Seems like an easy path to cost savings.
Jopaz
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:56 am

shafnutz05 wrote:

I don't mind Jeb, just not sure if I want another Bush running. I didn't realize, he pulled 80% of the Cuban vote in 2002 :shock:

I thought he was okay until the Terri Schiavo nonsense. It hasn't helped that he began disavowing his book the same day it was published.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:00 pm

I'm all for this if they can fix the inherent problems with the NICS database.

Gun advocates split with NRA on background checks
Some of the gun lobby’s strongest allies are breaking with the National Rifle Association to support proposals that would expand background checks for private firearm sales.

In behind-the-scenes talks with congressional staff members and others, gunmakers, dealers and other Second Amendment advocates have offered support for more instant criminal background checks, buoying the hopes of gun-control supporters, including President Obama, who has put a top priority on extending criminal checks to private sales.

The trade group for the nation’s leading firearm manufacturers said it will not actively oppose the expansion of background checks, which are designed to prevent guns from reaching criminals or the seriously mentally ill.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:48 pm

Some states require it, others don't. Leave it at that. The Federal government should have no say in the commerce that happens within a state's borders.

A lot of these "common sense" laws though already exist in areas where there is high gun crime, they just aren't enforced when they are broken on a regular basis.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:25 pm

DelPen wrote:Some states require it, others don't. Leave it at that. The Federal government should have no say in the commerce that happens within a state's borders.

It is true that, constitutionally, the Federal government doesn't have much say in commerce that happens within a state, but the Supreme Court rulings in cases such as Wickard v. Filburn and Gonzales v. Raich give the Feds a pretty broad scope to regulate things that, while not technically interstate commerce, have an overall effect on interstate commerce.
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Factorial on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:52 pm

Not me.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:54 pm

Factorial wrote:

Not me.

You're not really in that demographic, bro. :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:57 pm

But IF I was I wouldn't. Rubio or bust.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shyster on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:05 pm

Pucks_and_Pols wrote:It is true that, constitutionally, the Federal government doesn't have much say in commerce that happens within a state, but the Supreme Court rulings in cases such as Wickard v. Filburn and Gonzales v. Raich give the Feds a pretty broad scope to regulate things that, while not technically interstate commerce, have an overall effect on interstate commerce.

Personally, I view those cases as being every bit as misguided and wrongly decided as, for example, Korematsu v. United States or Plessy v. Ferguson.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby redwill on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:06 pm

Factorial wrote:Rubio or bust.

Christie or burst? AIIGHHH!
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:50 pm

Shyster wrote:
Pucks_and_Pols wrote:It is true that, constitutionally, the Federal government doesn't have much say in commerce that happens within a state, but the Supreme Court rulings in cases such as Wickard v. Filburn and Gonzales v. Raich give the Feds a pretty broad scope to regulate things that, while not technically interstate commerce, have an overall effect on interstate commerce.

Personally, I view those cases as being every bit as misguided and wrongly decided as, for example, Korematsu v. United States or Plessy v. Ferguson.

Really? You would compare regulation of commerce (wheat, pot, and guns) to institutionalization of racism and internment of citizens against their will? I think I see what you are getting at from a libertarian perspective with the restriction of freedoms and such, but telling someone how they can cultivate crops seems a pretty far stretch from those cases you rightfully label as historically misguided.
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:53 pm

DelPen wrote:Some states require it, others don't. Leave it at that. The Federal government should have no say in the commerce that happens within a state's borders.

A lot of these "common sense" laws though already exist in areas where there is high gun crime, they just aren't enforced when they are broken on a regular basis.

The reason why I'm for it is I support a national licensure program. I know a lot of 2A supporters hate the idea ("gun registry!!"), but it's been suggested here (and I keep forgetting who put it forward to give proper attribution) that if people voluntarily sign up for a federal gun license they are exempt from the background check requirement for the term of the license; the requirements for obtaining and holding such a license would be the same for passing a background check, so if you do something that would show up on a background check, you lose your license and can't buy any more guns without going through NICS.... which will presumably have you red-flagged.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:11 pm

Pucks_and_Pols wrote:Really? You would compare regulation of commerce (wheat, pot, and guns) to institutionalization of racism and internment of citizens against their will? I think I see what you are getting at from a libertarian perspective with the restriction of freedoms and such, but telling someone how they can cultivate crops seems a pretty far stretch from those cases you rightfully label as historically misguided.

Yes, I make that comparison. Economic freedom is no less important than personal freedom. A man with no right to the fruit of his own labor is a slave just as surely as if he had chains around his neck.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:17 pm

Shyster wrote:Yes, I make that comparison. Economic freedom is no less important than personal freedom. A man with no right to the fruit of his own labor is a slave just as surely as if he had chains around his neck.

While economic freedom is important, I would not place it on the same level with basic human rights and civil liberties. When someone is convicted of a crime what is usually seen as a harsher punishment, paying a fine, or going to jail? There is a bright line for me between reasonable government regulation of your economic activity (again within reason, and I don't think the cases being discussed here even come close to crossing into extraordinary cases of "wage slavery" that you allude to) and gaining direct control over your person.
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:26 pm

No mention of Rand Paul's filibuster?

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2013 ... omination/
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:37 pm

During his Filibuster, Paul also said he approved of the Supreme Court's 1905 Lochner decision and advocated for the revival of the Privileges and Immunities clause:
http://joshblackman.com/blog/2013/03/06 ... ilibuster/
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:37 pm

"...no American should be killed by a drone on American soil without first being charged with a crime..."

So the assassination by drone concept is fine...... as long as the trial and conviction part comes first. Got it.

(I'm sure that's just in-artful phrasing on his part, but it struck me as funny)

Apparently an Alitalia pilot reported seeing a drone in the airspace around JFK airport yesterday. So we got that going for us.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:04 pm

This is an awesome example of how the filibuster should be used, seeing something drastically wrong and alerting the American people that you will not stand for it. Too many times in recent years, and both sides are guilty of this, it has been a procedure tool for stalling the majority agenda.
Cudos to Rand Paul, I only wish some senator had the guts to lay out an opposition like this before the iraq war.
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:07 pm

This filibuster is just awesome, awesome stuff, and what politics should be about. Nice to see a high profile stand against domestic drone use.

Paul has no chance of stopping the nomination, but he's bringing attention to one of the more pivotal liberty issues of our time.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:59 am

I hate the stupid cloture filibuster, this is the real deal.

Rand should have borrowed some of his dad's adult diapers, unless he did and they were full after almost 13 hours.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:03 am

Filibusters are like Devils hockey.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR