LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Shyster on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:12 pm

A New York state-court judge has entered a permanent injunction blocking Bloomberg's soda ban:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/12/nyreg ... a-ban.html
Excellent. Bloomberg is the king of the nanny-staters, and I support anything that gets in his way.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:58 pm

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MWB on Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:43 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:Also if you couple the governments mass arming of DHS with it's agenda to take away as many guns from the public as possible it points toward something scary. Yup. I've become that guy.

What does it point towards? What is the play? The government gears up and forces the people to...what? I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm just wondering what people think could happen.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby npv708 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:10 pm

MWB wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:Also if you couple the governments mass arming of DHS with it's agenda to take away as many guns from the public as possible it points toward something scary. Yup. I've become that guy.

What does it point towards? What is the play? The government gears up and forces the people to...what? I

Drink smaller sodas...
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:13 pm

Trans-vaginal ultrasounds....
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:25 pm

I followed some other links with this bullet and armored vehicle purchase story to some right wing websites (I think and hope). The commenters under these stories feel that Obama will do something - manufacture a terrorist attack or allow one to happen near the 2016 election and cancel the election. I kept scrolling down waiting for someone to call the various versions of this story out as horse manure and craziness, but no one did.

Bizarre. But why were the majority of the 2 billion rounds expensive hollow points, when they are supposedly to be used for target practice?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Factorial on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:03 pm

Hannity's lead tonight? Big, bad, Obama canceled White House tours. :cry:
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:26 pm

Brooklyn neighborhood on police lockdown following protest
http://rt.com/usa/brooklyn-riot-police-protesters-127/

ruh-roh
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:04 am

No idea what happened in that incident, but if this kid did pull a .357 on officers, he deserved to get shot. And the rallying around his cause? Par for the course.

If the police are flat-out lying about what happened, not good.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:30 am

Factorial wrote:Hannity's lead tonight? Big, bad, Obama canceled White House tours. :cry:

I've gotten pretty sour on Hannity's act (was a loyal listener from 2004-2007ish) but the whole point of cancelling White House tours is to try making Republicans look evil, heartless, cold, etc etc etc.

The cost for White House tours is so minuscule and it has been an important part of our national identity for a long time - just think, in America anybody can visit the home of the President. It's the kind of thinking people take for granted now but it was an amazingly profound realization for poor immigrants escaping dictators, despots, and imperialism.

And it appears petty when you look at some of the other White House related expenditures - the cost of a dog walker, secret service detail for Adele and Beyonce to sing for Michele Obama, their separate air travel and vacation expenses. I'm not begrudging the Obamas of those things - I might think he's a lousy president but he is the president none the less - but it just rings hollow and hypocritical.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:40 am

I agree. Canceling White House tours was a deliberate, calculated, and unnecessary move to make the Republicans look bad in light of the sequester.

To add, Hannity is a complete joke. He makes Rush look like a renegade conservative. But I agree with ps33, the WH tours cancellation was completely unwarranted, and if anything, should make the Administration look bad. Especially in light of the extravagant expenses that have been spent on other unnecessary perks (Tiger, Beyonce, so on and so forth).
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:05 am

Like someone else mentioned here, if the Bamster skipped the golf outing with Tiger, those tours could've been saved another month.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby npv708 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:23 am

You guys do realize that most of the personal outings like say golfing with tiger, etc, are usual covered by Obama's personal finances and not govt money?
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:26 am

3D printing gunmaker forms company to flout copyright law, à la the Pirate Bay
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013 ... irate-bay/
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby npv708 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:29 am

I should also mention that the costs of WH tours are far from minuscule. It's not like pre-2001, when you could walk up an wait in line. There's significant procedures in place with admin costs, such as running security checks on each individual who applies for a tour.

Any body looking for an example of the sequester impact can head on down to the Senate office buildings. They closed half the entrances and the average wait to get in this morning was between 45-60 minutes.

ps. - I definitely passed Newt in the hall today.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:05 pm

npv708 wrote:Any body looking for an example of the sequester impact can head on down to the Senate office buildings. They closed half the entrances and the average wait to get in this morning was between 45-60 minutes.

Wow. Brutal. How will we survive? The Senate should rejoice. At least they can use this as an excuse for not getting anything done.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby npv708 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:25 pm

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:
npv708 wrote:Any body looking for an example of the sequester impact can head on down to the Senate office buildings. They closed half the entrances and the average wait to get in this morning was between 45-60 minutes.

Wow. Brutal. How will we survive? The Senate should rejoice. At least they can use this as an excuse for not getting anything done.

I'm sure you would just love a 30-60 minute wait simply to enter your office each day.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:34 pm

npv708 wrote:
King Sid the Great 87 wrote:

I'm sure you would just love a 30-60 minute wait simply to enter your office each day.

Am I supposed to feel bad for them paying the price for their own incompetence?
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby GaryRissling on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:48 pm

An illicit recording of Bradley Manning's statement to the court has been released. While I am an unequivocal supporter of wikileaks and Assange, I've had a much more difficult time deciding to what extent I support Manning's actions; admittedly due mostly to his age and level of experience and how that played into his motives; and whether or not he was selective in the material he leaked versus just "dumping" files.

That said his pre-trial treatment, that being of 1000+ days of isolated confinement, has been ridiculous.

While I obviously see the need for operational secrecy; I draw a large distinction between that and policy secrecy. While the public should not necessarily be privy to real-time operations; we should know the guidelines and general parameters under-which our military operates.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... -own-words

Edit to add:

Commentary by Daniel Ellsberg:

Such criminal, dangerous, and deceptive behavior by the government can only be changed if Congress and the public are informed of them. And when official secrecy allows the government to cover these facts up, the only way to bring them to the public is to break secrecy regulations.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/daniel-el ... 59353.html

Highly recommend checking out Freedom of Press Foundation run by Ellsberg, John Cusack, Glenn Greenwald, Laura Poitras (she did the NSA documentary), et al.

https://pressfreedomfoundation.org/
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GaryRissling on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:42 pm

It's surreal that we all feel affronted by Bloomberg's attempted soda ban because we all more or less fall into the targeted group. But gross violations of the civil liberties of another demographic are far less egregious as they don't affect us.

EW YORK — In more than six years of spying on Muslim neighborhoods, eavesdropping on conversations and cataloguing mosques, the New York Police Department's secret Demographics Unit never generated a lead or triggered a terrorism investigation, the department acknowledged in court testimony unsealed late Monday.

The Demographics Unit is at the heart of a police spying program, built with help from the CIA, which assembled databases on where Muslims lived, shopped, worked and prayed. Police infiltrated Muslim student groups, put informants in mosques, monitored sermons and catalogued every Muslim in New York who adopted new, Americanized surnames.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/2 ... 17149.html
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:49 pm

The Manning case is an example where I think everyone involved is in the wrong to some level.

shafnutz05 wrote:I agree. Canceling White House tours was a deliberate, calculated, and unnecessary move to make the Republicans look bad in light of the sequester.

When you've got to cut, you're going to cut the least important stuff first. That's like the military saving money by canceling their airshow support...... the total cost of a single-ship demo team might be $5 million to $7 million a year, times maybe 9 or 10 for the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels. So by canceling those programs, the Air Force is saving ~$150 million this year. Their FY2013 budget request is $154.3 billion. So cutting the demos results in a savings of about 0.00079%. Whoooooo! But it's a cut that directly impacts the public (all these show cancellations are putting an entire support industry in jeopardy), and so people - like me - can gripe about it to our Congressional leaders.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby GaryRissling on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:58 pm

tifosi77 wrote:The Manning case is an example where I think everyone involved is in the wrong to some level.

Yes...but only one guy is on trial, and the journalist who ran Manning's info has been labeled a terrorist and is holed up in a small embassy in London.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:18 pm

npv708 wrote:I should also mention that the costs of WH tours are far from minuscule. It's not like pre-2001, when you could walk up an wait in line. There's significant procedures in place with admin costs, such as running security checks on each individual who applies for a tour.

the number being thrown around is $18,000 per week - thats less than $1,000,000 per year.

and outside of Obama's book sales money what has he ever earned that wasn't earned and confiscated first from the private sector? and i dont think the president's salary is enough to cover flying several jumbo jets full of staffers, armed guards, drivers, etc etc. the cost of his christmas vacation was estimated to be over $20,000,000. thats 50 times his annual salary
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:44 pm

npv708 wrote:You guys do realize that most of the personal outings like say golfing with tiger, etc, are usual covered by Obama's personal finances and not govt money?

Trying to find something not from a hack I see this article: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-2 ... round.html

Obama, 51, paid for his own expenses, including green fees, lodging and food, Earnest said. Taxpayers pay for presidents’ travel and that of his entourage of staff and Secret Service personnel.

So he covers the "cheap" stuff but we all pay for the $180,000/hour trip to and from Florida totaling over $2 million for the round trip to Florida and back.

There's a public course in Poolesville, MD he can fly Air Force Two to next trip and play there. or maybe just stop playing golf all together until you write a budget?

There is no disputing the Obama's are living the high life right now while people, for example, in the NC Air National Guard are getting furloughed this spring. They are the people who fly the C-130's to get heavy equipment in and out of Afghanistan and help fight wild fires in this country. They also airlift emergency supplies to other disaster victims.

But let's mess with people's lives while the first lady gets the opportunity to have millions spent, regardless of where the money is coming from, on her 50th birthday party. That is a horrible example to set and should crush any pleads of "shared sacrifice" coming from everyone in Washington.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BigMcK on Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:06 pm

"Ooooops, sorry that we shot your truck by mistake and almost killed both of you. Here, we'll get you a new one to replace it." Or not...

Dorner case: Women shot by cops still don't have truck promised by LAPD

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2013/03/dorner-lapd-yet-to-keep-pledge-to-provide-new-truck-to-women-shot-by-cops.html
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

PreviousNext

Return to NHR