LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Geezer on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:15 pm

The latest lefty who would have made an excellent commissar. Part of the It-takes-a-village-to-raise-an-idiot crowd. Jeezuz H bleeping Ch**t on a bleeping crutch. A government that can't do jack sh*t right should take charge of raising kids?
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 ... t-parents/
\
This imbecile is more dangerous than all the handguns,assault ri8fles, explosives, and dirty bombs that exist in this country.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,775
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:24 am

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby MWB on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:25 pm

Unless I'm missing something, or unless there's more than just this 30 second spot, people are reading a ton into that clip. For example, it doesn't say anything about the government taking control of raising kids.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,748
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Geezer on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:36 pm

MWB wrote:Unless I'm missing something, or unless there's more than just this 30 second spot, people are reading a ton into that clip. For example, it doesn't say anything about the government taking control of raising kids.

You're right. It just argues that children aren't the responsibility of parents but are community "property". This follows the liberal view of "societal responsibility" versus personal responsibility. Not a surprising view from those who want government to support their kids while vehemently opposed to people teaching their kids the archaic view of self sufficiency
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,775
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:24 am

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Geezer on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:52 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03 ... ng-babies/
Do we need a law that failed abortions don't result in sort of potential humans or whatever one considers them can be smothered,starved or fed to stray dogs if an abortionists fails to deliver a dead fetus? Regardless of your abortion views does a fetus that beats the odds and survives deserve to be subject to the whims of the mother / family whether to terminate the obstinate fetus or not?
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,775
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:24 am

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby MWB on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:26 pm

Geezer wrote:
MWB wrote:Unless I'm missing something, or unless there's more than just this 30 second spot, people are reading a ton into that clip. For example, it doesn't say anything about the government taking control of raising kids.

You're right. It just argues that children aren't the responsibility of parents but are community "property". This follows the liberal view of "societal responsibility" versus personal responsibility. Not a surprising view from those who want government to support their kids while vehemently opposed to people teaching their kids the archaic view of self sufficiency


Again, a lot of speculation there. If that's what was there, I'd completely agree with you. I think it's very possible that the person is advocating for the "It takes a village" approach. And I'm not sure what's wrong with that. That philosophy would take no responsibility away from the parent. It means that the community as a whole sees more of an interest and investment in the kids. For example, if someone sees a kid who has troubles, maybe s/he tries to help him instead of say, "Oh, there's another bad kid again. Won't be surprised to see him in jail in 3 years." As it is now, too many people don't give a crap about kids unless they do something wrong, then they just get mad at them. That includes the bad parents. More people involved, more people interested, more people advocating, along with COMPLETE involvement of the parents would increase the likelihood of more good kids and better communities. This has nothing to do with the government.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,748
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:04 pm

She should have chosen her words more wisely for sure, but she probably meant that communities need to get together and maybe take kids off streets by investing in their own neighborhoods more and perhaps creating some afterschool programs to keep kids away from the stupid stuff. If that's what she meant, then maybe I'll agree. A lot of problems occur because kids have no direction and nothing to do so that's when bad influences creep in. Many kids don't even have parents to talk to, so it is any wonder that some drug dealer becomes their friend and parent as one? Maybe some kids who don't have a parent involved in they life could use a teacher or coach to keep their eye on them. It's not a bad idea, but is it achievable? People have their own problems these days. School dropout rates are alarming, though.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,340
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Rylan on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:07 pm

Dropouts isn't alarming, but the lack of trade professions is.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,213
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby MWB on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:23 pm

Lack of trade schools is definitely a problem. One that contributes to dropout rates.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,748
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby columbia on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:28 pm

@MWB
This might be of interest. They've had a radio series this week on the Common Core:
http://www.southerneddesk.org/?p=9067
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,888
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: دعنا نذهب طيور البطريق

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:29 pm

Rylan wrote:Dropouts isn't alarming, but the lack of trade professions is.


That's also a problem I've been reading about. But going back to the dropout rate, well, I don't feel like doing any serious googling now, but just a few first links on this issue in NYC I clicked...

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/NY-GRADUATION-RATES-TRAGIC-FOR-BLACK-HISPANIC-BOYS-171043271.html

For African-American and Hispanic male students, New York has the worst four-year high school graduation rate in the country, according to a study by the Schott Foundation for Public Education.

In fact, the researchers say, a meager 37% of black and Hispanic boys are graduating for New York high schools in four years. (78% white students)

http://www.oms.nysed.gov/press/GraduationRates2012OverallImproveSlightlyButStillTooLow.html

Graduation rates for the state’s Big 5 city school districts have generally increased over the past five years. Graduation rates in the Big 5 for the 2007 cohort are as follows:
•Buffalo: 54% (47.4% for the 2006 cohort; see slide 23 for details about changes in Buffalo’s cohort size and the impact those changes had on the district’s graduation rates)
•New York City: 60.9% (61% for the 2006 cohort)
•Rochester: 45.5% (46.1% for the 2006 cohort)
•Syracuse: 48.4% (45.9% for the 2006 cohort)
•Yonkers: 66.2% (63.2% for the 2006 cohort)

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/education&id=8697126

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and Schools Chancellor Dennis M. Walcott announced that the four-year graduation rate for New York City public high schools held above 65 percent in 2011, an increase of 19 points since 2005 and the tenth consecutive year of gains.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,340
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:30 pm

I would be satisfied if it was 90% across the board not hanging around 50 or 60.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,340
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby MWB on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:42 pm

columbia wrote:@MWB
This might be of interest. They've had a radio series this week on the Common Core:
http://www.southerneddesk.org/?p=9067


Thanks, I'll check that out.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,748
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:27 pm

MWB wrote:Lack of trade schools is definitely a problem. One that contributes to dropout rates.


:thumb: :fist:
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,916
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:16 pm

Yikes...

http://now.msn.com/cancer-clinics-turning-away-medicare-patients-due-to-sequester

The sequester-related budget cuts that have caused headaches minor (no more White House tours) to major (closing air traffic control towers) could also have deadly consequences. Cancer clinics nationwide are turning away thousands of patients with Medicare, because the reduced funding that began April 1 makes it too expensive to administer chemotherapy drugs. Many of the clinics say that rejecting Medicare patients is the only way they can stay in business during sequestration. The reason for the cuts is that chemo drugs are Part B Medicare drugs, which makes them part of the sequester-related cuts. Nice work, Congress. Way to have your constituents’ backs.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/04/03/cancer-clinics-are-turning-away-thousands-of-medicare-patients-blame-the-sequester/
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,340
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby bh on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:23 am

Sarcastic wrote:Yikes...

http://now.msn.com/cancer-clinics-turning-away-medicare-patients-due-to-sequester

The sequester-related budget cuts that have caused headaches minor (no more White House tours) to major (closing air traffic control towers) could also have deadly consequences. Cancer clinics nationwide are turning away thousands of patients with Medicare, because the reduced funding that began April 1 makes it too expensive to administer chemotherapy drugs. Many of the clinics say that rejecting Medicare patients is the only way they can stay in business during sequestration. The reason for the cuts is that chemo drugs are Part B Medicare drugs, which makes them part of the sequester-related cuts. Nice work, Congress. Way to have your constituents’ backs.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/04/03/cancer-clinics-are-turning-away-thousands-of-medicare-patients-blame-the-sequester/
Yeah, this is certainly a black eye for all involved. Our governmnet is broken. This whole thing is pretty senseless.

I am starting to question the effectiveness of Chemo however...
http://www.chrisbeatcancer.com/freakono ... treatment/
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,605
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:48 am

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:00 am

senators manchin and toomey are reportedly near a bipartisan deal on universal background checks for gun purchases. interesting that it is some junior senators from this region that are the ones pushing this forward.my gut tells me that even if they can rustle up 60 votes to get past a filibuster in the senate that this bill will be DOA in the house tho.
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:47 am

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:02 am

It's interesting that a conservative Democrat and a conservative Republican are spearheading this bipartisan gun control effort.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 60,559
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:53 am

PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,916
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:25 am

In sequester-related nonsense, the Navy has canceled the remainder of the 2013 Blue Angels air show demonstration schedule. All civilian outreach can only be conducted with 'local assets', and the pilots will conduct a normal flying schedule to maintain proficiency in the aircraft but will not be practicing aerobatics.

It's a personal thing for me, as most of you probably know. But this is actually kind of a big deal. The U.S. airshow industry churns at over $1 billion annually, and that has been decimated by the sequester. Some big shows will still be able to go on, like MCAS Miramar and the CA Capital Air Show. But others (NAS Oceana, Dayton) are simply canceling. And the shows that have gone on after cancellation by a military demo team have seen massive drops in attendance. We're only two months into the show schedule and over half the shows around the country have been shuttered already.

Cos this is where the DoD bloat is. The ~$40 million a year the Blues cost to operate is killing the Defense budget.

In other news, the F-35B - which has been testing vertical takeoff and landing since 2011 - just made its first night VTOL landing last week. I suppose that's something.


Pew pew!!
Last edited by tifosi77 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,085
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:25 am

shafnutz05 wrote:In my experience, 90% of the nasty comments after prominent political figures die come from the left. Both sides have the extremists that will make an ass out of themselves, but it seems to be much more accepted on a mainstream level when prominent conservatives pass away.

It's sad, but certainly expected.

In my experience, closer to 100% of the negative comments when a political figure dies comes from the opposite side of that figure's politics. And, somewhat interestingly, almost all of the praise comes from the same side.

Weird, innit?

columbia wrote:
Morrissey wrote:...even her own cabinet booted her out.

Something that many would do well to remember..... her own insiders were responsible for her eventual downfall.

The only people I can reasonably say still admire her are Rush Limbaugh and Jeremy Clarkson.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,085
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:27 am

I have an honest question amid all of this sequester stuff.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/09/white-house-hosts-memphis-soul_n_3049026.html

President Barack Obama hosted a night of "Memphis soul" music at the White House on Tuesday, where he welcomed a slew of A-list performers.

Obama opened the evening's festivities by asking, "Let's face it, who does not love this music?"

"Memphis soul," as its known, is described as a mix of soul, gospel and blues. Obama said the unique blend of musical styles created in segregated Tennessee in the 1960s was special because it "played an important part in our history." He also noted the music sought to bridge racial divides and "create a little harmony with harmony."

The president, along with First Lady Michelle Obama and daughters Malia and Sasha, welcomed singers Ben Harper, Booker T. Jones, Justin Timberlake, Queen Latifah and Cyndi Lauper, among others.

The event marked the 10th concert for the "In Performance at the White House" series.


How does this look to the average American?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 60,559
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:35 am

he had a concert at the whitehouse?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,922
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:37 am

shafnutz05 wrote:I have an honest question amid all of this sequester stuff.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/09/white-house-hosts-memphis-soul_n_3049026.html

President Barack Obama hosted a night of "Memphis soul" music at the White House on Tuesday, where he welcomed a slew of A-list performers.

Obama opened the evening's festivities by asking, "Let's face it, who does not love this music?"

"Memphis soul," as its known, is described as a mix of soul, gospel and blues. Obama said the unique blend of musical styles created in segregated Tennessee in the 1960s was special because it "played an important part in our history." He also noted the music sought to bridge racial divides and "create a little harmony with harmony."

The president, along with First Lady Michelle Obama and daughters Malia and Sasha, welcomed singers Ben Harper, Booker T. Jones, Justin Timberlake, Queen Latifah and Cyndi Lauper, among others.

The event marked the 10th concert for the "In Performance at the White House" series.


How does this look to the average American?


I'd say those with an axe to grind (the right) will be sure to point out just how absurd it is, those who support Obama at all costs (the left) will say this was planned before the sequester and is being funded by private donors anyway, and the average American doesn't give a ****.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,031
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:41 am

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:40 am

To me, it's no different than the $40 million for the Blue Angels. It's marginal stuff that doesn't really have any meaningful impact on the budget. I would be much more put off if programs like this were cut in the name of 'budget savings' than I am snarked off that they're allowed to go on in the midst of guys like the public defender in Ohio who recently laid himself off so that most of his staff could keep their jobs.

No one in Washington has the stones to take a cleaver to things that need cleaving because in many cases those things represent bacon for their home constituency. So we end up having these half-arsed snips at the periphery that cuts things that you and I and other 'average Americans' can point to and roll our eyes at, while we go to our jobs at some F-35 sub building a helmet sight that doesn't work.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,085
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:42 am

tifosi77 wrote:To me, it's no different than the $40 million for the Blue Angels. It's marginal stuff that doesn't really have any meaningful impact on the budget. I would be much more put off if programs like this were cut in the name of 'budget savings' than I am snarked off that they're allowed to go on in the midst of guys like the public defender in Ohio who recently laid himself off so that most of his staff could keep their jobs.

No one in Washington has the stones to take a cleaver to things that need cleaving because in many cases those things represent bacon for their home constituency. So we end up having these half-arsed snips at the periphery that cuts things that you and I and other 'average Americans' can point to and roll our eyes at, while we go to our jobs at some F-35 sub building a helmet sight that doesn't work.


Your hard-on for the F-35 seems to have exceeded the recommend safety threshold. I've seen commercials on this stuff. You might want to consult a doctor. :lol:
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,031
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:41 am

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


e-mail