LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:27 am

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=4ee39663d6a08882947b465a73fa1a70&tab=core&_cview=1

The DHS Customs and Border Protection requires the following items, Brand Name or Equal, to the following:
LI 001: Carbon Bagpipe Drone Reed Set, 5, EA;
LI 002: Bagpipe Chanter Reeds-Easy, 12, EA;
LI 003: Bagpipe Chanter Reeds-Medium, 12, EA;
LI 004: Deluxe Bagpipe Bag Covers w/ Non-slip Grap Patch and Zipper, 5, EA;
LI 005: Drone Cords, 5, EA;
LI 006: Highland Bagpipe Tuner and Metronome with cases, 2, EA;
LI 007: Combination Tuner and Metronome, 6, EA;
LI 008: Black Polypenco Bagpipes w/ cases, 10, EA;
LI 009: Polypenco Bagpipe Chanter, 10, EA;
LI 010: Bellows Blown Blackwood Smallpipes in "A" w/ cases, 4, EA;
LI 011: Black waxed bagpipe hemp, 4, EA;
LI 012: Real Beeswax, 4, EA;
LI 013: Long Polypenco Practice Chanters, 10, EA;
LI 014: Bagpipe Tutor Book - VOL 1 C.O.P., 10, EA;
LI 015: Practice Chanter Reed, 10, EA;
LI 016: Rol of Pipe Bag Tie-In cord, 2, EA;
LI 017: Tapered Reamer, 1, EA;
LI 018: PiobMaster 2.3 CD ROM-Bagpipe music writing software, 1, EA;
LI 019: Pipe Band Base Drum Carrier, 2, EA;

So on and so forth. As tifosi stated earlier, this is probably a very minor expense (well, if multi-million dollar expenses can be deemed minor) in the grand scheme of things, but still all the more entertaining in the midst of the SEQUESTER OF DOOM
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:36 am

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:Disregarding the absurdity of the $3M cap, have any mechanics been proposed? Is the $3M limit applied to contributions, or the value of the account as a whole? If the latter, how will this be handled? Brokerage performs automatic sales once the account breaches the limit? Is there no concern for the arbitrage this will create?

You mean that they've complicated the tax code? You don't say!

Give a carpenter a hammer he'll build something, give a politician a pen, they'll write another law.

Tax code simplification will NEVER happen in the US and its way overdue. Anyone who thinks that the upper limit will stay at $3 million in 'real terms' is delusional. I haven't read this proposal but I'm willing to bet ANYONE that it isn't indexed for inflation. It'll be just like the AMT (only for the rich) until its not.

Washington is counting on the ignorance of the avg American. IMHO they're playing it safe.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:35 am

So can anyone possibly defend allowing a cloture vote on any piece of legislation that isn't even written yet?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:58 pm

If I'm not mistaken, cloture is just a mechanism to end the current debate on the floor or in committee. It has nothing to do, necessarily, with the drafting state of the legislation being debated.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:02 pm

tifosi77 wrote:If I'm not mistaken, cloture is just a mechanism to end the current debate on the floor or in committee. It has nothing to do, necessarily, with the drafting state of the legislation being debated.

It can be a closing of the debate on a draft, but does not neccessarily have to be, as you pointed out.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:48 pm

So... you think that South Carolinia is inhabited by nothing but 'red neck hicks' do you?

http://inamerica.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/ ... ?hpt=hp_c3

Good for her!
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Factorial on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:56 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:So... you think that South Carolinia is inhabited by nothing but 'red neck hicks' do you?!

Who thought that?
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:58 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:So... you think that South Carolinia is inhabited by nothing but 'red neck hicks' do you?

http://inamerica.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/ ... ?hpt=hp_c3

Good for her!

From the linked article:
"South Carolina ranks low nationally on LGBT rights. It bans same-sex marriage, does not afford employment, housing or hate-crime protections for LGBT people and has unconstitutional sodomy laws still on the books."

So, with few exceptions....... yeah.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:00 pm

Factorial wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:So... you think that South Carolinia is inhabited by nothing but 'red neck hicks' do you?!

Who thought that?

See Tifosi's post above... I love it when I get called out and before I can respond someone illustrates my point. :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:02 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:I would rather talk about chicks.

You mean like Elizabeth Warren? No thanks. :)

No. I was actually going to ask who is everyone's all time favorite playmate, but I'm not sure it would fly here. FYI, mine is Olivia Paige.

:fist:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kaizer on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:04 pm

if that was a gay dude, he'd be hanging from someones tailgate.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Factorial on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:09 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Factorial wrote:

Who thought that?

See Tifosi's post above... I love it when I get called out and before I can respond someone illustrates my point. :)

You said "nothing but 'red neck hicks'". Just because "many" of those in charge are 'red neck hicks' doesn't mean everyone there is a 'red neck hick'. I know someone who used to live in Columbia, SC and he's a real lib.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:13 pm

Factorial wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
Factorial wrote:

Who thought that?

You said "nothing but 'red neck hicks'". Just because "many" of those in charge are 'red neck hicks' doesn't mean everyone there is a 'red neck hick'. I know someone who used to live in Columbia, SC and he's a real lib.

Overstatement to make a point. Point made.

(And I think the guy you're mentioning might just be a closet conservative. :) )
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:16 pm

Factorial wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
Factorial wrote:

Who thought that?

I find that hard to believe. :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:32 pm

Kaizer wrote:if that was a gay dude, he'd be hanging from someones tailgate.

Really?

DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:19 am

redwill wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:Traditional IRAs are funded with AFTER tax income, and are tax-deferred only on the sale of items in it; people still pay taxes on distributions.

I understand that. Mitt's accountants do, too.

A serious question: Why are contributions to IRAs limited?

Pitt87 wrote:Also... you have the same protections from taxation under the law. You can't re-interpret the law because he's rich.

There's no re-interpretation going on here. The proposal, as I understand it, is aiming to change the law.

I'm not saying I agree with it. All I have been saying is that it's not about government hating the idea that Americans should save money. It's about, as EPP has said, increasing regulations. "Closing loopholes," as many politicians have been calling for. Sticking it to the super-rich, who may or may not deserve it. Breaking open these tax havens which should or should not exist.

Change the law to exclude people you don't think should be allowed to get a tax benefit. See the problem with that argument? The ACLU probably does....

IRA's are limited to benefit savers, not to encourage investors to avoid taxes.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Gaucho on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:26 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
(And I think the guy you're mentioning might just be a closet conservative. :) )

He might.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:15 pm

The US isn't really in good company, here:

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:19 pm

columbia wrote:The US isn't really in good company, here:

Spoiler:

What's the "per capita" take on that. I'l bet we look even worse when you consider it in those terms.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:31 pm

columbia wrote:The US isn't really in good company, here:

Spoiler:
Image[/

Nice chart, but possibly a bit deceptive. If you look closely at it, alot of countries where we do not have a great flow of information out of (China, North Korea, Iran for example) are listed as "minimum estimated" amounts.
I would be willing to bet my life savings that the actual amount of executions in North Korea FAR exceeds the six listed in this chart.
We are just starting to find out now about the cruelty of the death camps they run in that hermit kingdom, many of whose inhabitants only crimes are being relatives and children of people considered insubordinate by the State.

Here is a link to a story about the life of a young man who was born and raised in one of these camps and is one of the very few to escape.
http://live.wsj.com/video/behind-the-story-of-escape-from-camp-14/4A25B609-C411-4093-B8DE-C53E82068094.html#!4A25B609-C411-4093-B8DE-C53E82068094
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby columbia on Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:33 pm

I guess my point was that even being on that chart is not good.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:46 pm

depends if you believe in the death penalty or not. i think it should be rare and have a very high bar of proof of crime and intentions beyond even a reasonable doubt to be executed, but I do think there are some monsters out there who deserve this ultimate punisment. i would certainly feel much better about the burden of proof in this country being legit for the death penalty over the legal systems in Iran, Saudi Arabia, and North Korea.
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:01 pm

Nah, I think we should take care of everyone the way we did Christopher Dohner.

Accuse them of firing on law enforcement and refuse them due-process.

Case closed.

Spoiler:
I'm not serious, I'm 99% sure in CD's case he was guilty of everything he was accused of, but he does illustrate the slippery slope
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:18 pm

I'm for the Death Penalty if there is a way that you can prove 100% that the person did it. Which I guess proves difficult. Or if the person admits to doing whatever horrific crime they did. There are some people that I wouldn't even want to die humanely, I'd like them to die how they killed their victims, mostly slow and painful. That may make me sound like I'm inhuman, but some people don't deserve that decency.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:41 pm

OK, boys. What about the death penalty in this situation here. I just read the article and I am sick to my stomach.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20130412/US-Suicide-Teens-Arrested/

SARATOGA, Calif. (AP) — Eight days after being sexually assaulted while passed out at a party, and then humiliated by online photos, 15-year-old Audrie Pott posted on Facebook that her life was ruined, "worst day ever," and hanged herself, the family's lawyer said.

... and what a pretty girl... unbelievable this happened to her.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR