LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:01 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:Shaf, you know I was being ironic, right?

:D Yes, of course. I'm sure the vehicle owner was a rabid libertarian that day though.

:thumb:
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby stopper40 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:29 pm

Geezer wrote:
Gaucho wrote:His nickname clearly indicates that tifosi hates America and would much rather be Italian. 77 is probably code for GG, as in Greasy Ginny.

I've usually seen the derogatory term spelled guinea.
Free info from an Ellis Island History channel special. Many Italian immigrants arrived without documents. The immigration workers wroue "without papers" at the top of their forms. This was shortened to W.O.P. to indicate without papers. This evolved into wop.

Officials used to record immigrants' religions using symbols; for Christians they put a little cross. For Jews they put a small circle. A circle is called kiken (yiddish)? These eventually morhed into calling jews kikes.

I knew where wop came from, but I didn't know where kike came from. Learn something new on LGP everyday
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shyster on Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:53 pm

Sarcastic wrote: What needs to be done is the following. Make it illegal to sell guns privately to avoid a database and the background check. Create the database and then have every single gun owner show up or be inspected yearly by the police as far as those weapons are concerned. Maybe an owner can pay a few bucks for a home appointment. If, at any time, a gun that was previously purchased by a person is ever found to be used in a crime, the original owner should be taken to court to explain how his gun went missing and why he didn't report it.

I have some questions, if I may:

1. How will you convince a gun owner to enter his guns into a database? Say he doesn’t want to. If there is no database, then the government doesn’t know who is failing to register with the database. Sure you can make it illegal to not register, but that’s like making it illegal to drive more than 55 mph on a remote highway where drivers know with certainty that no cops are around for miles.

2. As I believe I’ve pointed out before, in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania we already have “universal background checks” for handguns. Yet like everywhere else, in Pennsylvania handguns are the guns of choice for criminals and many people with criminal records (who are ineligible to buy or own guns) are caught all the time committing additional crimes with handguns. Doesn’t that indicate that your proposal would be ineffective?

3. What about unintended effects? If it’s harder for criminals to obtain guns from, for example, straw purchasers, then criminals may increase their efforts to steal them from law-abiding gun owners. Would it be acceptable for you for burglaries and home invasions to significantly increase merely for the sake of more background checks?
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:53 pm

Geezer wrote:Free info from an Ellis Island History channel special. Many Italian immigrants arrived without documents. The immigration workers wroue "without papers" at the top of their forms. This was shortened to W.O.P. to indicate without papers. This evolved into wop.

Officials used to record immigrants' religions using symbols; for Christians they put a little cross. For Jews they put a small circle. A circle is called kiken (yiddish)? These eventually morhed into calling jews kikes.

I did not know that at all, thanks! :thumb:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:45 pm

I see the House passed CISPA today. **** them. Keep infringing on the Constitution
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:46 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I see the House passed CISPA today. **** them. Keep infringing on the Constitution

No no no, you have it all wrong. They're just doing what's best for us...
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby GaryRissling on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:58 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:I see the House passed CISPA today. **** them. Keep infringing on the Constitution

Again, it's why there's no point in voting. Gun control, abortion, etc will always be around because they are simple issues that pull in easy votes (and money). Occasionally you do have something a bit new like Obamacare, I suppose. But by and large cispa and privacy obliterating bills, bailouts, deficit spending, a morally corrupt foreign policy, etc are all agreed upon by mainstream Party members.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby doublem on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:24 pm

the bill of TEMPORARY privileges is getting smaller by the day.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hockeynut! on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:43 pm

http://gizmodo.com/5994997/every-repres ... ntact-them

Pretty much every Rep in my area voted for it. :face:
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:48 pm

GaryRissling wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

Again, it's why there's no point in voting. Gun control, abortion, etc will always be around because they are simple issues that pull in easy votes (and money). Occasionally you do have something a bit new like Obamacare, I suppose. But by and large cispa and privacy obliterating bills, bailouts, deficit spending, a morally corrupt foreign policy, etc are all agreed upon by mainstream Party members.

Comments like this concern me.

The reason the founding fathers chose a democracy was to give the people a voice in how the Governemnt was/is run.

Otherwise, eventually what you get is rebellion.

Democracy's aren't perfect, they have all kinds of warts, but "dropping out" is not the answer.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby doublem on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:03 pm

all voting does is saying that you are ok with the status quo. voting doesn't matter at all, it's literally meaningless.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby GaryRissling on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:05 pm

I'm not "dropping out". I'm very engaged in topics that concern me. Which is why there is no point in voting for candidates who don't address those topics. Voting for the lesser of two evils only ensures candidates will be worse the next time around. It would be much better if everyone had a standard a candidate had to meet before one would consider voting for that candidate; and if those standard rose over time. Bush and Obama are the sum total of what voting for the lesser of two evils amounts to; and I for one am less than satisfied with that outcome.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:07 pm

doublem wrote:all voting does is saying that you are ok with the status quo. voting doesn't matter at all, it's literally meaningless.

I half agree and half disagree.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:47 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
GaryRissling wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

Comments like this concern me.

The reason the founding fathers chose a democracy was to give the people a voice in how the Governemnt was/is run.

Otherwise, eventually what you get is rebellion.

Democracy's aren't perfect, they have all kinds of warts, but "dropping out" is not the answer.

We aren't a democracy, we are a representative republic. True democracies can be dominated by mob rule too easily.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:48 pm

You mean like ballot initiatives at the state level?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:57 pm

Gaucho wrote:
doublem wrote:all voting does is saying that you are ok with the status quo. voting doesn't matter at all, it's literally meaningless.

I half agree and half disagree.

Agreed
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:52 am

Yes.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:55 am

New Zealand MPs Sing Maori Love Song After Approving Gay Marriage

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/04/17/new-zealand-mps-sing-maor_n_3100103.html
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:11 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
Geezer wrote:Those GOP b*stards. Thankfully Dems don't gerrymander.

This is either the very first or only second time in our electoral history the party that won the popular majority vote is not the majority party in the House. Over a million more votes were cast for Democrats in Congressional races in 2012, yet the GOP emerged with their second largest majority in the body in six decades. There is a 4% gap between the percent of votes Democrats received and their share of representation in the House. I saw an infographic that showed in places like PA, OH and VA for every 1 vote required to elect a Republican it took between 2 and 3 votes to elect a Democrat.

That's poppycock.

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:By the way - I touched on this on the last page which also bugs me about these responses. It can be turned around quickly on you with the basic same argument.....dems chances get greater when people don't have to show IDs to vote.

I mean, just saying.

This line of reasoning is entirely devoid of any connection to reality. Aside from this being a basic corollary to the Weyrich claim; if Republicans' electoral chances diminish when the voting pool is larger, then the inverse (Democrats fare better in that situation) is self-evident.

Please cite us to the many many instances of voter fraud that IDs would have prevented, and this debate can continue. Otherwise, this is nothing more than talking point rehash.

And how many of the 2012 voter ID laws were bounced at the judicial level again?

Big words and big phrases don't change the line of critical thinking, you are too much internet and not enough thoughts. There are many laws that have been shot down or pushed through at many levels and that doesn't mean squat.

The freaking gun law was just bounced, that isn't evidence of anything in relation to opinions on why we need or do not need it.

If you really think the dems are pushing for no voter IDs as a means for personal freedoms and not political gain and the republicans are reversed and its just for political gain..... and also looking for any of the above mentioned evidence that is doing nothing more than proving my point when you were referencing it, taking one side while ignoring an obvious counter.

My original point was that a lot of these strong opinions are clearly biased because by stating one side you will have opened the same argument for the other side, period.

It's like those stupid Facebook posts (dems are for gun control but pro choice or repubs are against gun control but pro life......each statement or photo lists one of these and some idiot posts it and says exactly!).

You can use that example a lot in politics and the voter ID was just a clear and obvious example of why especially when related to your post a few days back which I was replying to. It's clear that both sides want it one way the other for political gain no matter what Internet research says.

My point was in relation to the content in your post and not to open the voter ID debate again.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:41 pm

ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:44 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:http://www.upworthy.com/this-new-zealand-politician-unleashes-one-of-the-funniest-gay-marriage-speeches-on-record-2

Brilliant. :thumb:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:15 pm

President Obama, George W. Bush, Bill Clinton all avoided talking Chechnya
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/04/o ... z2QxDQXydb
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:53 pm

columbia wrote:Does anyone here want to make an argument for one of those silly military tribunals?

He is a US citizen right?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:57 pm

Yes
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:06 pm

columbia wrote:Yes

Wouldn't mind seeing him in ADX Florence for his whole life. That sounds like a horrific place to live.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR