LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:22 pm

Rachel Maddow is such a shill for the Obama administration that I can't listen to her for more than three minutes.

And she makes no effort to disguise it.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Geezer on Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:41 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Rachel Maddow is such a shill for the Obama administration that I can't listen to her for more than three minutes.

She's more objective than Chris Mathews. Just sayin. Cut her a break; MSNBC in morning because the bombers weren't Mississippi NRA officials
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:39 pm

Some one should tell them Chechnya borders Georgia
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:13 am

DelPen wrote:Some one should tell them Chechnya borders Georgia

:scared:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:57 am

Gaucho wrote:

:scared:

Chechnya is in the US?

Spoiler:
:pop:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Geezer on Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:24 am

Shows what you know.Tenn., Bama, N. Carolina,S.Carolina and Florida border Georgia.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:39 am

Geezer wrote:

Shows what you know.Tenn., Bama, N. Carolina,S.Carolina and Florida border Georgia.

My question is:

Is Checnyian State in the ACC or SEC and does NAN think they are a "flight risk"?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Gaucho on Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:23 am

Did you know there are two Georgias? One is in the South of the United States, the other is situated right between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea. So confusing and yet so funny.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:32 am

Gaucho wrote:Did you know there are two Georgias? One is in the South of the United States, the other is situated right between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea. So confusing and yet so funny.

And I thought I was the only one that had a hard time detecting sarcasm. :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:36 am

Is it weird that I don't associate this situation at all with patriotism?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:41 am

shmenguin wrote:Is it weird that I don't associate this situation at all with patriotism?

Just Patriots day. :pop:

Spoiler:
I get what you're saying though. My attitude on that subject is starting to change as facts regarding the older brothers training for six months in Chechnyia start to come to light. There seems to be an ALQ connection unfolding, but that's still being investigated.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:43 am

I actually have a feeling of pity for the 19 year old. Honestly, I feel bad for him. I mean, I understand he helped to commit a crime that is incomprehensible and he deserves the trial and punishment. Yet, it seems that he was swayed by his brother and become indoctrinated. I just don't know...
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:03 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Did you know there are two Georgias? One is in the South of the United States, the other is situated right between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea. So confusing and yet so funny.

And I thought I was the only one that had a hard time detecting sarcasm. :)

You did it again. :lol:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:12 am

Rylan wrote:I actually have a feeling of pity for the 19 year old. Honestly, I feel bad for him. I mean, I understand he helped to commit a crime that is incomprehensible and he deserves the trial and punishment. Yet, it seems that he was swayed by his brother and become indoctrinated. I just don't know...

Don't ever be ashamed to feel compassion.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:01 pm

Geezer wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:Rachel Maddow is such a shill for the Obama administration that I can't listen to her for more than three minutes.

She's more objective than Chris Mathews. Just sayin. Cut her a break; MSNBC in morning because the bombers weren't Mississippi NRA officials

Mrs Tif likes MSNBC, so if I want to watch news during dinner hour that's what we have to watch. Maddow is the only one that's even remotely tolerable.

Rylan wrote:I actually have a feeling of pity for the 19 year old. Honestly, I feel bad for him. I mean, I understand he helped to commit a crime that is incomprehensible and he deserves the trial and punishment. Yet, it seems that he was swayed by his brother and become indoctrinated. I just don't know...

The more that comes out about this, the more I'm starting to feel that way as well.

Doesn't lessen his guilt by any means. But it sorta makes another layer of tragedy in this story.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:28 pm

all three cable news networks (and you can even include espn) are capable of really good journalism - developing sources, relaying breaking information, disseminating information, utilizing experts, etc. they just choose sensationalism, opinion, and self promotion most of the time.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:49 pm

shmenguin wrote:Is it weird that I don't associate this situation at all with patriotism?

We haven't really seen how this is hurting all the people yet. The death toll was fairly low and until they have some good ties to foreign terrorists groups and we actually see the stories of the dozens of amputees I'm not feeling the sense that this was an attack on America like 9/11 was.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:22 pm

Shyster wrote:
Sarcastic wrote: What needs to be done is the following. Make it illegal to sell guns privately to avoid a database and the background check. Create the database and then have every single gun owner show up or be inspected yearly by the police as far as those weapons are concerned. Maybe an owner can pay a few bucks for a home appointment. If, at any time, a gun that was previously purchased by a person is ever found to be used in a crime, the original owner should be taken to court to explain how his gun went missing and why he didn't report it.

I have some questions, if I may:

1. How will you convince a gun owner to enter his guns into a database? Say he doesn’t want to. If there is no database, then the government doesn’t know who is failing to register with the database. Sure you can make it illegal to not register, but that’s like making it illegal to drive more than 55 mph on a remote highway where drivers know with certainty that no cops are around for miles.

All new sales.

Hard to get all guns in the database at this point, but this is the exact failure of the government lacking the balls to force this issue years ago. But you have to start somewhere. And maybe you can add some incentive for existing owners to register the older stuff they have.

Listen. If you have to register your CAR and whatever else you can think of, there is no reason why one shouldn't register a GUN that can actually kill people.

This shouldn't even be an argument, but I believe it is because of all the dumb hicks in the South who think there is a war coming with the government and they just don't want to let go. And, of course, the lobby that keeps pushing and pushing the fight to ensure less regulations and more gunsales.

2. As I believe I’ve pointed out before, in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania we already have “universal background checks” for handguns. Yet like everywhere else, in Pennsylvania handguns are the guns of choice for criminals and many people with criminal records (who are ineligible to buy or own guns) are caught all the time committing additional crimes with handguns. Doesn’t that indicate that your proposal would be ineffective?

You pointed out the problem. Think all criminals who do that actually buy guns in Pennsylvania? Why would a crazy guy go buy there, when he can go to a private sale in another state (or an internet store from what I'm reading lately) and buy a gun without a check and without anyone knowing? There needs to be a country-wide federal law on that to tighten things up in this regard, and that includes the FBI sniffing out illegal gun sales on the web.

You either get serious about this stuff or you're going to leave things as they are. What I see from your side is that you guys have no answers.

3. What about unintended effects? If it’s harder for criminals to obtain guns from, for example, straw purchasers, then criminals may increase their efforts to steal them from law-abiding gun owners. Would it be acceptable for you for burglaries and home invasions to significantly increase merely for the sake of more background checks?

I don't know how a criminal would know if someone owns a gun or where they keep it. That's all just guessing at this point anyway.
Last edited by Sarcastic on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:39 pm

http://now.msn.com/adolphus-busch-iv-resigns-from-nra-over-background-checks
http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/376098/3/KSDK-Exclusive-Adolphus-Busch-IV-resigns-NRA-membership-

The National Rifle Association was successful in lobbying for the defeat of the Senate bill that woulld have expanded background checks on gun purchasers. But the organization lost a staunch supporter in the process. Adolphus Busch IV, a 38-year member and heir to the Busch family fortune, asked the NRA to remove him from its rolls, noting leadership called such checks "reasonable" in 1999 and saying the bulk of the group's members agree.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:39 pm

I've never met any 3rd Amendment activists (either for or against).
I wonder why?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:54 pm

columbia wrote:I've never met any 3rd Amendment activists (either for or against).
I wonder why?

And I bet a lot of people would love to repeal the 16th Amendment!
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:56 pm

columbia wrote:I've never met any 3rd Amendment activists (either for or against).
I wonder why?

I'm for it. :pop:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:06 am

I really don't understand "the gang of eight" trying to "make hay" in the immigration debate by using the Boston Marathon bombing tragedy.

First, the argument doesn't make sense to me, and secondly, it smacks of opportunism.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby doublem on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:02 pm

doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:59 pm

According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, in 2008 there were 49 militias in the US, and today there are 1360. Watching Bill Maher's latest episode...
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR