LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed May 01, 2013 10:07 am

shafnutz05 wrote:http://ca.news.yahoo.com/many-muslim-world-want-sharia-law-land-survey-160939872.html

Suicide bombing was mostly rejected In the study by the Washington-based Pew Forum, but it won 40 percent support in the Palestinian territories, 39 percent in Afghanistan, 29 percent in Eygpt and 26 percent in Bangladesh.

Over three-quarters of Muslims in the Middle East and North Africa, South Asia and Southeast Asia want sharia courts to decide family law issues such as divorce and property disputes, the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life said on Tuesday.

Views on whether women should decide themselves if they should wear a headscarf vary greatly, from 89 percent in Tunisia and 79 percent in Indonesia saying yes and 45 percent in Iraq and 30 percent in Afghanistan saying no.

Majorities from 74 percent in Lebanon to 96 percent in Malaysia said wives should always obey their husbands.

Fascinating.

I'd love to know how these results were obtained? For instance, did they ask a proportional amount of Men AND Women?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Pitt87 on Wed May 01, 2013 10:54 am

tifosi77 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:I heard Limbaugh going bananas about this the other day. The kid was one block beyond the police lockdown with a bullet hole in his neck; he wasn't going anywhere, they would have found him. And it's not like private citizens did all the sleuthing and apprehending; they still called the cops. (Ooooh, evil state!)

Has it been 'proven' that he suffered the GSW to the throat before the boat was riddled with 200-300 bullets?

I've been curious about why the police shot that boat full of holes when they had him trapped inside it. Maybe there was a reason but I haven't heard it.

(And lets not get into a discussion about him being a terrorist who had killed and maimed citizens and was accused of shooting a cop. At the point at which they identified his body in that boat, he wasn't an immediate threat, unless he fired from inside the boat or screamed that he was going to blow everyone up - which I haven't heard)

Nothing has been 'proven' yet, but he had lost a significant amount of blood when he was picked up and most outlets I've read say that all indications are that the throat wound was self-inflicted. No gun was recovered at the scene, however, so if it was self-inflicted he did it sometime between the overnight shootout and the boat shootout.

And as far as why they riddled the boat with hundreds of rounds, the reason I've read is an officer saw the tarp lift up and thought something was coming out of it (like a gun or a bomb) and he opened fire with one shot. The rest of the officers on the scene heard that one shot and thought it was coming from the boat, and so everyone within 30 yards of the boat opened up until the cease fire was ordered.

Regardless, that's a lot of bullets leaving guns and not making holes in bad guys.

Pitt87 wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:I heard Limbaugh going bananas about this the other day. The kid was one block beyond the police lockdown with a bullet hole in his neck; he wasn't going anywhere, they would have found him. And it's not like private citizens did all the sleuthing and apprehending; they still called the cops. (Ooooh, evil state!)

Point is... the best form of protection is, always was, and probably will always be, a vigilant public. There is no power better than numbers...

While I do not - in any way - disagree with your sentiment, that is not how it was being presented on the radio.

That's right. The way its presented is that the Police located the suspect and brought him to justice. But that's a bit of a stretch; reality is that they entered the private residences of individuals, set a curfew (though I don't recall hearing of any arrests), and some dude walking his dog discovered this guy.

I appreciate the work the police officers do, but they are not ALWAYS heroes. Heroes are ordinary people that do extraordinary things. Not a lot of courageous acts from Police during the manhunt...
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby columbia on Wed May 01, 2013 1:46 pm

Gay rights push threatens immigration deal
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/04/g ... 90807.html
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed May 01, 2013 3:42 pm

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2013/05/01/Breaking-Pentagon-Confirms-Will-Court-Martial-Soldiers-Who-Share-Christian-Faith

Weinstein is the head of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, and says Christians--including chaplains--sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ in the military are guilty of “treason,” and of committing an act of “spiritual rape” as serious a crime as “sexual assault.” He also asserted that Christians sharing their faith in the military are “enemies of the Constitution.”

So President Barack Obama’s civilian appointees who lead the Pentagon are confirming that the military will make it a crime--possibly resulting in imprisonment--for those in uniform to share their faith. This would include chaplains—military officers who are ordained clergymen of their faith (mostly Christian pastors or priests, or Jewish rabbis)--whose duty since the founding of the U.S. military under George Washington is to teach their faith and minister to the spiritual needs of troops who come to them for counsel, instruction, or comfort.

only right wing outlets are reporting this at the moment. I'd say it's not 100% confirmed yet
Last edited by PensFanInDC on Wed May 01, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed May 01, 2013 3:45 pm

Wow that is utterly ridiculous.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed May 01, 2013 3:46 pm

I should say, and I will edit my post, that only right wing outlets are reporting this at the moment. I'd say it's not 100% confirmed yet.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 01, 2013 3:48 pm

something something atheists in foxholes something something
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed May 01, 2013 3:51 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:something something atheists in foxholes something something

Careful...you might get court martialed
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Wed May 01, 2013 3:54 pm

That Weinstein guy is a major Hartnell but that URL link is just as ridiculous. The Pentagon was commenting on existing regulation, it's not anything new:

"The Pentagon confirmed to Fox News that Christian evangelism is against regulations.

“Religious proselytization is not permitted within the Department of Defense, LCDR Nate Christensen said in a written statement. He declined to say if any chaplains or service members had been prosecuted for such an offense.

“Court martials and non-judicial punishments are decided on a case-by-case basis and it would be inappropriate to speculate on the outcome in specific cases,” he said."

The article also says, “Leaders at all levels must balance constitutional protections for an individual’s free exercise of religion or other personal beliefs and the constitutional prohibition against governmental establishment of religion,” the regulation states.

Military leaders were admonished not to use their position to “promote their personal religious beliefs to their subordinates or to extend preferential treatment for any religion.”

That's all pretty much common sense, imo. Now if Weinstein gets his way that's a whole other can of worms.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed May 01, 2013 3:55 pm

Does the military define proselytization?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 01, 2013 3:55 pm

Agree w/ hockeynut, I was dubious of the source as well. The answer is probably somewhere in between, but yeah, Weinstein is a dbag
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed May 01, 2013 3:57 pm

And again, for the record, I did stipulate the post with a disclaimer.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Wed May 01, 2013 3:59 pm

Typical attempt by the right-wing noise machine to make a mountain out of a molehill.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed May 01, 2013 4:07 pm

Just as bad as the left making a molehill out of a mountain
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed May 01, 2013 4:10 pm

Oh snap!

I see what you did there..... he said something, and then you said the exact opposite and burrrrrrned him.

:P
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Wed May 01, 2013 4:17 pm

A self-proclaimed leftist comments on gun-control efforts:

Dear Gun Control Democrats: 6 Ways to Make a Better Argument
http://kontradictions.wordpress.com/201 ... et-better/

I agree with all of these, although in regard to number 6 I haven’t personally come across may people who are left wing and pro-gun.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 01, 2013 7:02 pm

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/advisor/businesses-may-sticker-shock-health-care-210259362.html

Small business owners may be experiencing sticker shock now that insurers are revealing the rates they want to charge under the new health care law.

So far, in Rhode Island, insurers are requesting premium increases of up to 14 percent for small business coverage when the Affordable Care Act is fully effective Jan. 1. They're also in double digits in Maryland.

Small businesses, especially those that are required, for the first time, to start providing coverage under the Affordable Care Act have been waiting for some clue about how much it will cost. Many are worried that paying for health care will hurt profits and have held back on hiring, spending or expanding. The information that's been released to date is providing some insight, but not enough for small businesses to be comfortable about making big financial moves.

Lawyers who advise small businesses on benefits have been getting more phone calls from clients since the rate filings.

"There is an increasing level of angst about what it will cost. The numbers are out there, but they're not final," says Eileen Elliott, an attorney with Dunkiel Saunders in Burlington, Vt., who specializes in health care law. Her law firm, which provides insurance for its 14 employees, is also waiting to find out what its options will be.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Wed May 01, 2013 7:07 pm

My insurance through Highmark went up 37% last year. I have a huge deductible and have never "used" my insurance. Awesome.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 01, 2013 7:09 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:My insurance through Highmark went up 37% last year. I have a huge deductible and have never "used" my insurance. Awesome.

That sucks man. We have ours through Aetna, and thankfully my wife (God bless her) gets a really awesome plan. My own company's healthcare plan is awful, with the same large deductibles that I'm sure you have.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Wed May 01, 2013 7:15 pm

Being self employed, my options are pretty limited. Between car, health, home, liability, etc. etc. insurance, I drop around $8K a year on various insurances.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 01, 2013 7:21 pm

Is there a special insurance for your photographic equipment? (since it's your livelihood) Tax break?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Wed May 01, 2013 7:23 pm

Yeah, I can deduct my liability and gear insurance. :)
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Wed May 01, 2013 11:14 pm

This is how you prepare to lose a House seat in SC to a Democrat:

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Thu May 02, 2013 9:54 am

You can almost imagine the moment light bulb going off over his head as he was watching the RNC and the whole Clint Eastwood thing. "That would have been so much better if he had a life size Obama cardboard standup thingy on stage. Hang on a minute...................."
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Thu May 02, 2013 10:05 am

:lol:

Living right on the border, I get to hear about the crazies from both states. :pop:

BTW, his opponent is Stephen Colbert's sister.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR