LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby MWB on Tue May 14, 2013 5:49 pm

Pitt87 wrote:In all seriousness... these are great anecdotes, but Finland is a country of ~5 million people with relatively low population growth rate. Hardly a reasonably comparison to the US.

If the money that is spend on testing and test prep went to proper teacher training instead, that would be incredibly beneficial. That proper initial training would curb other problems that arise and cost money later on.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tomas on Tue May 14, 2013 6:53 pm

Quite happy with one of my two home states. Minnesota just became the 12th state to legalize gay marriage. 38 more to go! :)
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Tue May 14, 2013 8:34 pm

:thumb: :fist:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Tue May 14, 2013 8:57 pm

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/14/18255647-feds-charge-89-people-including-doctors-nurses-with-medicare-fraud

In a major crackdown on healthcare fraud across the country, 89 people, including 14 doctors and nurses, were charged for their roles in various Medicare scams that bilked taxpayers of some $223 million through bogus charges, federal officials said Tuesday.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Tue May 14, 2013 9:33 pm

MWB wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:In all seriousness... these are great anecdotes, but Finland is a country of ~5 million people with relatively low population growth rate. Hardly a reasonably comparison to the US.

If the money that is spend on testing and test prep went to proper teacher training instead, that would be incredibly beneficial. That proper initial training would curb other problems that arise and cost money later on.

Not sure how this relates to a country with virtually no immigration and a relatively low birth rate. A significant factor in performance in schools in class size. Hard to argue that its not easier to reduce class sizes when there is literally a smaller volume and proportion of individuals to teach. Not taking anything away from though. They had a problem and solved (are solving?) it.

And yes, your government spends money stupidly, but usually to make sure that they can ask you for more of it later when they screw up.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby MWB on Wed May 15, 2013 12:12 am

Pitt87 wrote:
MWB wrote:

Not sure how this relates to a country with virtually no immigration and a relatively low birth rate. A significant factor in performance in schools in class size. Hard to argue that its not easier to reduce class sizes when there is literally a smaller volume and proportion of individuals to teach. Not taking anything away from though. They had a problem and solved (are solving?) it.

And yes, your government spends money stupidly, but usually to make sure that they can ask you for more of it later when they screw up.

Class size is a factor in some areas, no doubt. However, my class sizes in 5th and 6th grade have been in the 20-24 range consistently. This is over 13 years and two states. High school classes tend to get larger. If you have more teachers who are well-trained, they can deal with those classes more easily.

There are plenty of schools that do very well at educating children. The problem is, there are some horrible schools and horrible teachers that get plenty of press. Those horrible teachers are most likely the ones who didn't really want to teach to begin with, or are burned out. If you make the training more rigorous, that helps eliminate the former. If you make evaluations more complete, that helps eliminate the latter. And of course, the real silver bullet is that you get all parents involved.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed May 15, 2013 12:14 am

Is burnout actually preventable?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 15, 2013 12:26 am

Rylan wrote:Is burnout actually preventable?

It can be, yes.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed May 15, 2013 12:29 am

How?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 15, 2013 12:32 am

Psychological training. Teach them how to deal with stress, workload, etc.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Wed May 15, 2013 6:10 am

Rylan wrote:Is burnout actually preventable?

I actually meant to have in there that the evaluations needed to be more complete combined with a willingness and ability to fire teachers who aren't successful in those evaluations. It wouldn't prevent burnout, but would get rid of or improve the teachers who are no longer doing what they should be doing.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Wed May 15, 2013 7:17 am

IRS, AP scandals bring tea partyers, ‘lamestream media’ together
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ ... days-opeds
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed May 15, 2013 12:14 pm

columbia wrote:IRS, AP scandals bring tea partyers, ‘lamestream media’ together
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ ... days-opeds

Gotta watch out for the tea-partiers. They're 'armed and dangerous'. :scared:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Wed May 15, 2013 12:50 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:How is he not impeached yet?

Benghazi
IRS
AP

What do you mean? He just heard about that on Friday... :slug: :scared: :roll: :shock: :lol: :pop: :face: :twisted:
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Sarcastic on Wed May 15, 2013 1:03 pm

You know what sucks. His replacement, whenever, will likely be even worse. I have no faith in politics anymore. They all work for the corps and the wealthy. Meanwhile, 1 in 4 Americans earns less than $10 an hour.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 15, 2013 1:06 pm

Sarcastic wrote:You know what sucks. His replacement, whenever, will likely be even worse. I have no faith in politics anymore. They all work for the corps and the wealthy. Meanwhile, 1 in 4 Americans earns less than $10 an hour.

1 in 4 PRIVATE SECTOR jobs. Not all Americans. There's a pretty big difference between the two that needs to be pointed out.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ulf on Wed May 15, 2013 1:26 pm

Well yeah you wouldn't expect a government employee to get shafted would you? :lol:
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Wed May 15, 2013 1:33 pm

ulf wrote:Well yeah you wouldn't expect a government employee to get shafted would you? :lol:

I would say that makes it even worse. Says how bad it really is in the private sector.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Wed May 15, 2013 2:10 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:You know what sucks. His replacement, whenever, will likely be even worse. I have no faith in politics anymore. They all work for the corps and the wealthy. Meanwhile, 1 in 4 Americans earns less than $10 an hour.

1 in 4 PRIVATE SECTOR jobs. Not all Americans. There's a pretty big difference between the two that needs to be pointed out.

And it should be noted that a huge percentage of those 1/4 private sector jobs paying less than $10 an hour are in the service industry or retail. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see everyone earning big money, but the only way we'll see the local fryboy at McDonalds, grocery store cashier or hotel maid earning over $10 an hour is if inflation goes crazy.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Factorial on Wed May 15, 2013 3:29 pm

Blame the private employers for squeezing every last bit of profit out of their businesses.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed May 15, 2013 3:32 pm

Factorial wrote:Blame the private employers for squeezing every last bit of profit out of their businesses.

I'm going to pay up to get the best talent I can.

I can't get an experienced Active Directory tech for minimum wage. I have to pay at least 50K.

If I want a really top notched one I need to double that.

On the other hand, I can get someone to sit at my security desk for minimum wage (no offense to the security types on LGP)

How is that the fault of the private employer?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Factorial on Wed May 15, 2013 3:35 pm

Blame EPP for squeezing every last bit of profit out of their businesses.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Factorial on Wed May 15, 2013 3:37 pm

But seriously EPP, we have a philosophical difference on how rewards should be distributed. In my mind, efficiency is not the be all end all.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Wed May 15, 2013 3:40 pm

Factorial wrote:But seriously EPP, we have a philosophical difference on how rewards should be distributed. In my mind, efficiency is not the be all end all.

What is the be all end all?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed May 15, 2013 3:44 pm

Factorial wrote:But seriously EPP, we have a philosophical difference on how rewards should be distributed. In my mind, efficiency is not the be all end all.

The company that I'm currently providing consulting servces for didn'r exist 11 years ago, today they have approximately 1500 direct employees and probably have created another 2,000 jobs in the Value Added Reseller channel.

I'd say the average employee probably makes about 90K.

How is that a bad thing?

Sure the company is agressive and effecient, but thats how they've been able to create so many high paying jobs. They never would have been successful if they weren't so aggressive.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

PreviousNext

Return to NHR