LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby columbia on Tue May 21, 2013 2:24 pm

If this represents morality, then I'm pretty ok with being a heathen.

No one at the Catholic high school that fired Carla Hale in March claimed that she was anything less than a terrific physical education teacher and coach, devoted to the kids and adored by many of them.

No one accused her of bringing her personal life into the gym or onto the fields. By nature she’s private. And she loved her job too much to risk it that way.

But she lost it nonetheless, and the how is as flabbergasting as the why is infuriating.

Rather suddenly, her mother died, and an hour afterward, she and her brother numbly went through the paces of a standard obituary, listing survivors. Her brother included his wife. So Carla included her partner, Julie, whom her mother had known well and loved. Leaving Julie out would have been unthinkable, though Carla didn’t really think it through at the time. Her grief was still raw.

A parent of one of the school’s students spotted the obituary, and wrote an anonymous letter to the school and to the Diocese of Columbus, saying that they couldn’t allow a woman like Carla to educate Catholic children.

So they don’t, not anymore. In a termination notice, the principal explained that Carla’s “spousal relationship violates the moral laws of the Catholic Church.” That was the sum of the stated grievance against her, and after more than 18 years at Bishop Watterson High School, Carla, 57, was done.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/21/opini ... c=rss&_r=0
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Tue May 21, 2013 2:39 pm

That's just disgusting.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue May 21, 2013 2:44 pm

I heard about that (or a story very similar to it) a couple weeks ago, drove me batty.

But at the same time, I'm of two minds on the matter. Of course, being friend to the gays, I think firing someone after 18 years of services with an excellent record simply because of being outed in an anonymous letter is an outrage, especially given the nature of said revelation. However..... I'm pretty sure she knew what the Catholic Church's position on homosexuality was and is.

I'm not saying the Church was right to do what they did, but they reacted exactly as she should have expected them to react.

It's like a DEA agent's drug test coming back positive for pot. Sure, I get that it's no worse than booze..... but......
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue May 21, 2013 2:47 pm

tifosi77 wrote:I heard about that (or a story very similar to it) a couple weeks ago, drove me batty.

But at the same time, I'm of two minds on the matter. Of course, being friend to the gays, I think firing someone after 18 years of services with an excellent record simply because of being outed in an anonymous letter is an outrage, especially given the nature of said revelation. However..... I'm pretty sure she knew what the Catholic Church's position on homosexuality was and is.

I'm not saying the Church was right to do what they did, but they reacted exactly as she should have expected them to react.

It's like a DEA agent's drug test coming back positive for pot. Sure, I get that it's no worse than booze..... but......

I was contemplating how, or even if, I would respond. You summed it up pretty well.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue May 21, 2013 2:50 pm

Oh, I'm not surprised by it.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Tue May 21, 2013 3:08 pm

columbia wrote:If this represents morality, then I'm pretty ok with being a heathen.

No one at the Catholic high school that fired Carla Hale in March claimed that she was anything less than a terrific physical education teacher and coach, devoted to the kids and adored by many of them.

No one accused her of bringing her personal life into the gym or onto the fields. By nature she’s private. And she loved her job too much to risk it that way.

But she lost it nonetheless, and the how is as flabbergasting as the why is infuriating.

Rather suddenly, her mother died, and an hour afterward, she and her brother numbly went through the paces of a standard obituary, listing survivors. Her brother included his wife. So Carla included her partner, Julie, whom her mother had known well and loved. Leaving Julie out would have been unthinkable, though Carla didn’t really think it through at the time. Her grief was still raw.

A parent of one of the school’s students spotted the obituary, and wrote an anonymous letter to the school and to the Diocese of Columbus, saying that they couldn’t allow a woman like Carla to educate Catholic children.

So they don’t, not anymore. In a termination notice, the principal explained that Carla’s “spousal relationship violates the moral laws of the Catholic Church.” That was the sum of the stated grievance against her, and after more than 18 years at Bishop Watterson High School, Carla, 57, was done.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/21/opini ... c=rss&_r=0

She was never going to change who she was, and people were bound to find out, so this probably couldn't have ended any other way. If Catholic's want to close their society, its ultimately their own loss.

Its sort of a stretch to suggest that this is how 'religions' operate. I mean no offense if you are in fact a heathen, and I may be taking this out of context, but not being religious does not make you a 'heathen'.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby DelPen on Tue May 21, 2013 3:52 pm

Um, gay gym teacher? That's not appropriate in any school with children. If she's teaching English or math that would be one thing, but this is significantly different.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Tue May 21, 2013 3:54 pm

DelPen wrote:Um, gay gym teacher? That's not appropriate in any school with children. If she's teaching English or math that would be one thing, but this is significantly different.

I thought most female gym teachers were gay... :pop:
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Tue May 21, 2013 3:55 pm

DelPen wrote:Um, gay gym teacher? That's not appropriate in any school with children. If she's teaching English or math that would be one thing, but this is significantly different.

Because gays are more likely to molest children? Is this what you are saying?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue May 21, 2013 3:57 pm

slappybrown wrote:

No, I also wouldn't want a man in my daughters locker room. A gay woman shouldn't be in there either.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue May 21, 2013 3:57 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:

lol, I was just going to say the same thing. My two gym teachers in junior high school in Altoona were obviously clipped-hair lesbians, and it was the worst-kept secret in the world that they were partners. Heck, I saw them out together all the time.

I don't really see what the big deal is.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Tue May 21, 2013 3:57 pm

slappybrown wrote:

I think the reference is in regard to changing in the locker room, but thats quite a leap you've got there... :roll:
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue May 21, 2013 3:59 pm

DelPen wrote:No, I also wouldn't want a man in my daughters locker room.

I am certainly more willing to listen to the gender argument here.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Tue May 21, 2013 3:59 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
slappybrown wrote:

I think the reference is in regard to changing in the locker room, but thats quite a leap you've got there... :roll:

Its why I asked him what he was saying. Cool eye roll emoji.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kaizer on Tue May 21, 2013 4:09 pm

god help us if some lunatic ever pretends to be "normal" and ends up in that employment position.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitt87 on Tue May 21, 2013 4:36 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Hockeynut! wrote:

lol, I was just going to say the same thing. My two gym teachers in junior high school in Altoona were obviously clipped-hair lesbians, and it was the worst-kept secret in the world that they were partners. Heck, I saw them out together all the time.

I don't really see what the big deal is.

I can remember the girls gym teacher would remove herself from the lockerrooms -- sometimes auspiciously -- and would ask if 'everyone was decent' before entering. I always wondered if they were asked to do so.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue May 21, 2013 4:37 pm

Did you answer "Decent? I'm downright impressive!"
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby doublem on Tue May 21, 2013 4:53 pm

always teaching those kids good moral lessons.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Tue May 21, 2013 5:04 pm

Somehow, this seems like a more rational discussion than, say, benching Sutter.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MWB on Tue May 21, 2013 5:44 pm

DelPen wrote:
slappybrown wrote:

No, I also wouldn't want a man in my daughters locker room. A gay woman shouldn't be in there either.

I guess I don't look at it that way. I wouldn't have a problem with my daughters having a lesbian gym teacher or even going into a locker room as any gym teacher would. If I had boys I don't think I'd mind if it were the same with a male gym teacher who was gay.

There seems to be more to it than what sex someone is attracted to. Would you be ok with a gay man in a girls locker room? I wouldn't.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue May 21, 2013 6:46 pm

I wouldn't mind my child having a homosexual gym teacher any more (or less) than I would mind my child having a homosexual classmate in that same gym class. Which is to say I wouldn't mind it, period.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby redwill on Tue May 21, 2013 7:13 pm

I say let anyone into any locker room. Just give the kids guns. They'll sort things out fine.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue May 21, 2013 7:17 pm

Why would you want any adult in the locker room?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby redwill on Tue May 21, 2013 7:20 pm

columbia wrote:Why would you want any adult in the locker room?

Somebody with experience has to shoot the video, duh.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shyster on Tue May 21, 2013 7:38 pm

columbia wrote:Why would you want any adult in the locker room?

To stop any bullying or fights, for one thing.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NHR