LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby GaryRissling on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:02 am

I think it's awesome that congress is outraged when a baseball player lies to them and disgraces the game of baseball...but when the DNI lies about compromising the fourth amendment, it's not really an issue.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:04 am

I think it's a little funny that I haven't watched Hannity in years (outside of trips to my wife's FNC loving grandparents), and I don't really listen to rush and the like either.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:07 am

shafnutz05 wrote:I think it's a little funny that I haven't watched Hannity in years (outside of trips to my wife's FNC loving grandparents), and I don't really listen to rush and the like either.

That's the first time I watched in a while and haven't heard Rush in a few years (no local outlet). Hannity has changed format and now prefaces every discussion with O'Reilly like talking points.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:09 am

WLAN?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby redwill on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:10 am

Factorial wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:Yeah, if there really is anything coming of his reading material or his choice of fast food sammich then it's a different story. But, from what I can tell, the real issue is the stickers. I work for a company that does business with Monsanto, a company I detest and wish would drop off the face of the planet, but I wont be putting any anti-monsanto stickers on my car.

EPP wrote:How is that even remotely relevant to this ?

This is your government, who control so many aspects of your life that extend far beyond any worker/employer relationship.

It's not even remotely the same.

Yeah, PFIDC, you just don't realize that a corporation only regretfully must resort to gently firing you whereas the U.S. Government is looking for ANY excuse to kill millions of law-abiding U.S. citizens. WAKE UP!
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:50 am

redwill wrote:
Factorial wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:Yeah, if there really is anything coming of his reading material or his choice of fast food sammich then it's a different story. But, from what I can tell, the real issue is the stickers. I work for a company that does business with Monsanto, a company I detest and wish would drop off the face of the planet, but I wont be putting any anti-monsanto stickers on my car.

This is your government, who control so many aspects of your life that extend far beyond any worker/employer relationship.

Yeah, PFIDC, you just don't realize that a corporation only regretfully must resort to gently firing you whereas the U.S. Government is looking for ANY excuse to kill millions of law-abiding U.S. citizens. WAKE UP!

Yep, I think all Federal employees and all US service members should be forced to vote for whatever administration is currently "in charge".
:roll:
If you're a federal employee, you should be fired on the spot for disagreeing not only with any of the "party in charges" policies, whether or not the basis of those policies has anything to do with the branch of government you personally are involved with.

(for instance, if you're a grunt stationed in Japan, you should not be able to have an opinion on Obamacare)

Federal workers and service members should have the right to post bumper stickers supporting the current administration, but not the opposition party, on their personal vehicles.

Absolutely the same as private sector employment. For instance, if you work for Levi Strauss you should get fired for wearing any clothing items not made by Levi-Strauss.

My bad. Carry-on.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:45 am

:shock: fighting
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:53 am

New State Dep. scandal. Prostitutes, children involved, etc.. Investigation stopped by order from the top. Not yet sure what exactly it's about, but sounds big.

Watch flash video first.
http://xfinity.comcast.net/video/report-state-dept-may-have-covered-up-misconduct/33090115719/

http://www.humanevents.com/2013/06/10/state-dept-accused-of-covering-up-indiscretions-around-the-globe/
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby since1970 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:59 am

I didn't know Bill was assigned to her security detail........ :fist:
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GaryRissling on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:33 pm

Another thing to consider is, given the penchant for insider trading for many members of congress; can you imagine the advantage a person with access to prism would have in the market; even just considering the phone metadata? If no one has done it yet, they soon will.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:52 pm

I don't see how a deep and broad investigation into whether or not to censure is an avoidable action at this point. The level of personal impropriety is astounding, but we're reaching a point that you'd need one of 5-6 people to provide a signature -- or **cough** make a phone call -- to make this stuff 'go away'.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
redwill wrote:
Factorial wrote:

Yep, I think all Federal employees and all US service members should be forced to vote for whatever administration is currently "in charge".
:roll:
If you're a federal employee, you should be fired on the spot for disagreeing not only with any of the "party in charges" policies, whether or not the basis of those policies has anything to do with the branch of government you personally are involved with.

(for instance, if you're a grunt stationed in Japan, you should not be able to have an opinion on Obamacare)

Federal workers and service members should have the right to post bumper stickers supporting the current administration, but not the opposition party, on their personal vehicles.

Absolutely the same as private sector employment. For instance, if you work for Levi Strauss you should get fired for wearing any clothing items not made by Levi-Strauss.

My bad. Carry-on.

You are turning this into something it patently is not. At no juncture has someone said the guy had to change his politics or express support for anyone he did not support. (Which I would agree qualifies as unacceptable.) This isn't about opinions, it's about the public expression of those opinions.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:12 pm

Bingo. You can't equate insubordination to a superior officer under the UCMJ with working for Apple and owning a Droid. The military is a whole different animal as far as chain of command is concerned, and I'm sure EPP knows that.

You simply cannot publicly criticize a superior officer. You really shouldn't criticize a subordinate in public either, but that's beside the point.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:24 pm

From a Facebook page I liked called "Breach-Bang-Clear"

"...However, an opinion poll commissioned by the Washington Post suggests a majority of Americans think government monitoring of phone records is acceptable if the aim is to fight terrorism." (via the BBC) In other news, the ghosts of the founding fathers issued a statement to, "the majority of Americans" that said, "Punch Yourselves in the Face."

:wink:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:28 pm

To be fair, the Founding Fathers were only interested in the freedoms of a few and not all.
ie They aren't very relevant to this or any other conversation.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:30 pm

tifosi77 wrote:You are turning this into something it patently is not. At no juncture has someone said the guy had to change his politics or express support for anyone he did not support. (Which I would agree qualifies as unacceptable.) This isn't about opinions, it's about the public expression of those opinions.

Nice slight of hand, the discussion has always been about the right of an individual to free speech.

I guess it all depends on whether or not your "Free Speech" is for or against the administration in charge.

Showing support for the sitting administration is tolerated and even encouraged.

I'm sure that reading "The Audacity of Hope" or "Dreams from my Father" is fine.
I'm sure having a "Obama/Biden" or "Hope and Change" bumper sticker is tolerated.

No matter how you try and spin that, the double standard is not appropriate.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:32 pm

:face:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:39 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Showing support for the sitting administration is tolerated and even encouraged.

Um....... where and how?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:59 pm

GaryRissling wrote:Another thing to consider is, given the penchant for insider trading for many members of congress; can you imagine the advantage a person with access to prism would have in the market; even just considering the phone metadata? If no one has done it yet, they soon will.

That is the first thing I thought of. I wouldn't be leaking any of this, I would be tapping CEOs emails and making millions and then retiring. Can't ever be accused of insider trading because of state secrets lol.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bioshock on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:07 pm

GaryRissling wrote:I think it's awesome that congress is outraged when a baseball player lies to them and disgraces the game of baseball...but when the DNI lies about compromising the fourth amendment, it's not really an issue.

Tells you all you need to know about this country.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kaizer on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:14 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:You are turning this into something it patently is not. At no juncture has someone said the guy had to change his politics or express support for anyone he did not support. (Which I would agree qualifies as unacceptable.) This isn't about opinions, it's about the public expression of those opinions.

Nice slight of hand, the discussion has always been about the right of an individual to free speech.

I guess it all depends on whether or not your "Free Speech" is for or against the administration in charge.

Showing support for the sitting administration is tolerated and even encouraged.

I'm sure that reading "The Audacity of Hope" or "Dreams from my Father" is fine.
I'm sure having a "Obama/Biden" or "Hope and Change" bumper sticker is tolerated.

when some left leaning obama book reader is NJP'd for something completely unrelated, then cries about it on MSNBC, i guess we'll find out.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:15 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:Showing support for the sitting administration is tolerated and even encouraged.

Um....... where and how?

Really? You need step by step instructions on how to get subordinates to support your causes without explicitly telling them to do so?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 pm

Kaizer wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

when some left leaning obama book reader is NJP'd for something completely unrelated, then cries about it on MSNBC, i guess we'll find out.

"Supported and encouraged" would probably rule that eventuality out. Wouldn't you say?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kaizer on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:20 pm

i suppose it would, if that were remotely plausible, even for the marching band. with the amount of right wing types in the armed forces, there would be a **** load more of these stories if that were happening, and they couldnt ALL be as totally flimsy and laughable as this one.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to NHR