LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:34 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:Showing support for the sitting administration is tolerated and even encouraged.

Um....... where and how?

Really? You need step by step instructions on how to get subordinates to support your causes without explicitly telling them to do so?

I don't really want instructions. A few concrete examples of it happening in the ranks to support your assertion will suffice.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:39 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:Showing support for the sitting administration is tolerated and even encouraged.

Um....... where and how?

Really? You need step by step instructions on how to get subordinates to support your causes without explicitly telling them to do so?

I don't really want instructions. A few concrete examples of it happening in the ranks to support your assertion will suffice.

Let me just concede that your point that subordinates never try and ingratiate themselves to their superiors for the purposes of advancement.

You can now eliminate "Ass Kissing" from the popular lexicon.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:44 pm

Wait, now you're talking about affirmative actions on the part of the subordinates - for their own self-interested purposes of career advancement - rather than the coercive assertion of authority requiring action contrary to the subordinates' beliefs by those up the chain of command?

I don't mean to be snarky here, but I'm not following your line of thought at all.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:12 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Wait, now you're talking about affirmative actions on the part of the subordinates - for their own self-interested purposes of career advancement - rather than the coercive assertion of authority requiring action contrary to the subordinates' beliefs by those up the chain of command?

I don't mean to be snarky here, but I'm not following your line of thought at all.

Coerced.

If my OIC has a new Obama Bumper sticker and is reading "Dreams of my Father", it certainly encourages advancement minded individuals to express complimentary opinions and values.

Look, all I'm saying is that if you're going to prohibit political expression, you have to do it agnostically.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:27 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Look, all I'm saying is that if you're going to prohibit political expression, you have to do it agnostically.

Okay, um....... that's no different to what we've been saying all along.

If a member is displaying material and expressing positions similar to what Sommers was doing - but in support of the current administration instead of in opposition - they'd be just as guilty of breaking the rules and should be reprimanded accordingly. The rule breaking has nothing to do with the position itself but rather the expression of an opinion in a public way that contravenes rules of conduct for the uniformed military (and I think to a certain extent all federal employees, for that matter).
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:36 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:Look, all I'm saying is that if you're going to prohibit political expression, you have to do it agnostically.

Not everyone.

shafnutz05 wrote:Back in 2004, I had a Bush Cheney sticker on my truck. If it would have been Kerry Edwards no biggie. But in the military there is a certain line you cannot cross.

Also

tifosi77 wrote:If a member is displaying material and expressing positions similar to what Sommers was doing - but in support of the current administration instead of in opposition - they'd be just as guilty of breaking the rules and should be reprimanded accordingly. The rule breaking has nothing to do with the position itself but rather the expression of an opinion in a public way that contravenes rules of conduct for the uniformed military (and I think to a certain extent all federal employees, for that matter).

Do you honestly believe that the policy is being enforced in that fashion?

My personal experience, having been on a number of US military installations in the course of my business over the last few years, is that it most definitely is not.

But that's just my anecdotal experience.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:58 pm

All I know is that if I were in the military and looking to advance my career, I would be as pro-current president and his policy as I could because I would know there could be problems otherwise. Reading more on the story right now, I think that point is pretty valid. :scared:

What I understand from looking at your discussion is that the question is whether the soldier would have gotten into this much trouble if he instead had an Obama sticker on his car and I would say likely 'no'.

I'm trying to learn more on this story only now because I really don't like the military. There are some in Congress trying to pass an amendment to help the soldier.

http://townhall.com/columnists/toddstarnes/2013/06/11/congressman-antigay-soldiers-being-singled-out-for-punishment-n1617608
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:19 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:

Not everyone.

shafnutz05 wrote:Back in 2004, I had a Bush Cheney sticker on my truck. If it would have been Kerry Edwards no biggie. But in the military there is a certain line you cannot cross.

I'm going to have to bow out of this because I genuinely have no idea what your point is anymore.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:48 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I think it's a little funny that I haven't watched Hannity in years (outside of trips to my wife's FNC loving grandparents), and I don't really listen to rush and the like either.

Even before I was pushed from being a Republican into the Libertarian column, I thought Hannity was a complete tool bag. He's way worse than Limbaugh, IMO.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:54 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I think it's a little funny that I haven't watched Hannity in years (outside of trips to my wife's FNC loving grandparents), and I don't really listen to rush and the like either.

I listen to Rush a couple times a week. :)
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:59 pm

Still stuck with a broken car radio. I can listen to the liberal morning radio show for a while, cos I think they're genuinely funny. But I tune them out when they actually start talking politics in any detail; substantive they are not. I can only handle Limbaugh, Hannity and Levin (who is, imo, the worst of the three) for about 4-5 minutes tops before I feel like punching my car.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:59 pm

columbia wrote:

I listen to Rush a couple times a week. :)

Rush actually has a great sense of humor. Sean does not.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:00 pm

EIB.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kaizer on Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:10 pm

Sarcastic wrote:All I know is that if I were in the military and looking to advance my career, I would be as pro-current president and his policy as I could because I would know there could be problems otherwise. Reading more on the story right now, I think that point is pretty valid. :scared:

What I understand from looking at your discussion is that the question is whether the soldier would have gotten into this much trouble if he instead had an Obama sticker on his car and I would say likely 'no'.

I'm trying to learn more on this story only now because I really don't like the military. There are some in Congress trying to pass an amendment to help the soldier.

http://townhall.com/columnists/toddstarnes/2013/06/11/congressman-antigay-soldiers-being-singled-out-for-punishment-n1617608

being "pro" the current president wouldnt advance you one iota unless you were a General Officer in line for an appointment to something that can only come from the white house.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:32 pm

Kaizer wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:All I know is that if I were in the military and looking to advance my career, I would be as pro-current president and his policy as I could because I would know there could be problems otherwise. Reading more on the story right now, I think that point is pretty valid. :scared:

being "pro" the current president wouldnt advance you one iota unless you were a General Officer in line for an appointment to something that can only come from the white house.

you're right. a grunt is a grunt. shut up and do your pushups. but i'm sure it would make things a lot more comfortable.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:20 pm

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:24 pm

That "Number of Warrants Rejected" data point is a dandy.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:30 pm

Apparently, it's a deeply deliberative body.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kaizer on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:14 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
Kaizer wrote:

you're right. a grunt is a grunt. shut up and do your pushups. but i'm sure it would make things a lot more comfortable.

Not many people bother to ask in my experience, much less give a ****. Never have I seen it affect morale. If it did with this guy, its because he was likely the senior enlisted soldier in his unit, used to speaking his mind about whatever he wanted, and the gay junior troops would surely be put off by that.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:07 pm

Russian lawmakers pass anti-gay bill in 436-0 vote
http://news.yahoo.com/russian-lawmakers ... 59267.html
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:14 pm

columbia wrote:Russian lawmakers pass anti-gay bill in 436-0 vote

Holy crap. I would think gay rights would at least get 2 votes.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:34 pm

Dear NSA, you can do whatever with my data. But not with my eyes. Those slides are hideous.
http://www.slideshare.net/EmilandDC/dea ... ke-care-ou
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:57 am

columbia wrote:Russian lawmakers pass anti-gay bill in 436-0 vote

Model democracy.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:23 am

columbia wrote:Dear NSA, you can do whatever with my data. But not with my eyes. Those slides are hideous.
http://www.slideshare.net/EmilandDC/dea ... ke-care-ou

Is it wrong of me that this is one of the things that I was upset with when talking about the program with Mrs Tif?

I mean....... Power Point isn't that hard, guys. Come on. :lol:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:26 am

"They are violating a raft of Constitutional rights, they are vesting the Executive with frightening powers, they are becoming what we once beheld...... and their deck is an eyesore!"
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR