LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby GaryRissling on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:19 pm

A couple of notes on extradition:

http://thelead.blogs.cnn.com/2013/06/25 ... om-russia/

"It could be handled differently if not for two words: Viktor Bout," said The New Republic's Julia Ioffe, referring to the Russian arms smuggler who was captured in Thailand and taken to the U.S. for trial. Bout is currently in prison in the U.S.

"The Russians were about as mad at that as we are about Edward Snowden. And we did not extradite him as Russia asked. I think maybe the Americans would have been able to get a better deal before Victor Bout," said Ioffe.

so...we told them to fly a kite on an extradition request as well.

and when it comes to extradition requests, we should also remember this piece of work we're sheltering from justice:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/20 ... n-request/

On Friday, the President of Bolivia, Evo Morales, announced that the U.S. government was refusing to extradite former President Gonzalo Sanchez de Lozada, who is facing formal charges of genocide.
“A document arrived from the United States, rejecting the extradition of people who have done a lot of damage to Bolivia,” announced Morales, who called the U.S. a “refuge for criminals.”
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kaizer on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:56 pm

last night giuliani was on piers morgan saying that if snowden was someone elses snitch, we'd send him back their way. yeah right.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:04 am

GaryRissling wrote:Nope. I was saying that I would laugh at the notion that Russia is our greatest geopolitical threat; and I named a think tank from which helped craft Romney's foreign policy platform as a greater threat. PFNAC's influence is also felt in the Obama admin, btw.

Agreed. WE are our greatest geopolitical threat.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:35 am

GaryRissling wrote:Old but still relevant regarding Syria. And it won't be the last time it will be relevant. Wolfowitz is a one despicable human being.

http://youtu.be/SXS3vW47mOE

There was a lot of talk about Syria and Iran at the time. I remember reading Israeli press and they had interviews with people like Paul Wolfowitz, Douglas Feith, and William Kristol. They were pushing for a new invasion of either country and sounded disappointed Bush hasn't decided yet. One of them said he believed US could handle two fronts at once, Iraq and Iran. I guess they had a bigger plan than I thought, though. Crazy people.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:58 am

From the not very surprising department.....

First Evidence Of Iranian Internet Throttling as a Form of Censorship
http://www.technologyreview.com/view/51 ... ensorship/
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:50 am

So Obama won't allow the Keystone Pipeline unless it's proven it won't add carbon pollution. Wouldn't not allowing the free flow of oil via pipeline from Canada pretty much directly to our refineries reduce the fuel used by tankers to get oil to the US from the mid-east and then is we aren't buying it, also prevent fuel being used to ship that oil from Canada to China and India? Just because we don't allow a pipeline doesn't mean Canada isn't going to sell the oil. If we are the buyers then it reduces fuel consumption simply from moving less transfers via tankers.

So by not building it you are part of the problem. Right?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:32 am

How does the amount of carbon pollution released from sand oil compare to the amount released from Saudi oil + the amount of carbon pollution released from the tankers? That's the important question.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:32 am

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20130626/DA75CB182.html

Marc Rich dies. I didn't know this at the time, but why am I not surprised that Eric Holder was one of the deputies strongly recommending Rich's pardon?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:05 am

Sarcastic wrote:
GaryRissling wrote:Old but still relevant regarding Syria. And it won't be the last time it will be relevant. Wolfowitz is a one despicable human being.

There was a lot of talk about Syria and Iran at the time. I remember reading Israeli press and they had interviews with people like Paul Wolfowitz, Douglas Feith, and William Kristol. They were pushing for a new invasion of either country and sounded disappointed Bush hasn't decided yet. One of them said he believed US could handle two fronts at once, Iraq and Iran. I guess they had a bigger plan than I thought, though. Crazy people.

Yep...and another thing to remember is that as we act aggressively abroad, domestic and international outrage will grow thus requiring more surveillance at home.

...you know, due to the natural predisposition for Muslims to sponanteously self-radicalize and all.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GaryRissling on Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:50 am

Any alleged necessity for programs like PRISM is predicated on blowback from our Cromwell-ian foreign policy.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:04 am

DOMA ruled unconstitutional by SCOTUS
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:05 am

GaryRissling wrote:Nope. I was saying that I would laugh at the notion that Russia is our greatest geopolitical threat; and I named a think tank from which helped craft Romney's foreign policy platform as a greater threat. PFNAC's influence is also felt in the Obama admin, btw.

Yes, having temporary leverage in the Syria matter because of some unfortunate timing related to a completely unrelated NSA leak and the inconvenient facts of our own refusal to deport certain 'bad actors' does not a major geopolitical rival make. I'm not even sure Russia figures in the top five.

Sarcastic wrote:

Never mind that that would have actually been three fronts at the time..... and Iraq was severely undermanned as it was to begin with. 'Shock and Awe' is all nice when you're in sales pitch mode, and you need catchy buzz words. But when you're carrying that stuff out and administering the aftermath, it's rather useless as a policy. After a startling brief amount of time, there isn't that much left to blow up with 2000 lb JDAMs and make big noisy booms and bright bangs for the CNN cameras. It quickly becomes a simple matter of a man in boots walking through a town trying to get the locals to not want to shoot him in the face.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Factorial on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:06 am

Left-wing activist court strikes down DOMA.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:08 am

The bipartisan consensus on DOMA from 17 years ago is pretty crazy:

Passed the House on July 12, 1996 (Yeas: 342; Nays: 67)
Passed the Senate on September 10, 1996 (Yeas: 85; Nays: 14)
Signed into law by President Bill Clinton on September 21, 1996
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:14 am

Same-sex equality is the fastest-moving civil liberty issue I've ever heard of. Twenty years ago, unthinkable matter of public policy. Today, SCOTUS says, yeah no. In another twenty years, it will simply not be talked about as an issue.

In four short years, public polling showed that if Prop 8 were up for another vote it would have been rejected by the same margin by which it was passed.

And there is language in the DOMA dissent that hints the Prop 8 case will be dismissed on the issue of standing.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby obhave on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:19 am

Factorial wrote:Left-wing activist court strikes down DOMA.

I may or may not have just danced around my room in happiness.

And I hope you are right tifosi, that in 20 years it just won't even be an issue at all.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:21 am

When will the battle for singles equality pick up?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby obhave on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:25 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:When will the battle for singles equality pick up?

People just aren't ready pitttsoccer. Give it time.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:29 am

Perry vacated and remanded. Prop 8 is dead.

The majority is Roberts with Scalia, Ginsburg, Breyer, and Kagan. Now that's a lineup you aren't likely to see often.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shoeshine boy on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:32 am

obhave wrote:
Factorial wrote:Left-wing activist court strikes down DOMA.

I may or may not have just danced around my room in happiness.

And I hope you are right tifosi, that in 20 years it just won't even be an issue at all.

in the words of Ellis Redding, "That's damn right!"

:fist:
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:33 am

tifosi77 wrote:Perry vacated and remanded. Prop 8 is dead.

The majority is Roberts with Scalia, Ginsburg, Breyer, and Kagan. Now that's a lineup you aren't likely to see often.

This is why I laugh when people complain about the "left" and "right" wings of the court. Sure, we get a lot of 5-4 rulings, but you see justices in odd alliances all of the time. Take the police DNA dissent, for example, when Scalia sided with Sotomayor, Kagan, and Ginsburg.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:40 am

PFIDC's band really timed all of this well.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:44 am

This is more or less as expected, wrt Prop 8. The only truly viable outcomes for this case were dismissal on lack of standing, or affirmation on the very narrow grounds that Prop 8 should be voided because it violated CA constitutional protections (once a right of the people has been recognized by the legislature, that right cannot be put to public referendum).

These aren't completely sweeping rulings; the Court has not addressed the question of whether or not states can limit same-sex marriage. Just that the federal government cannot choose to ignore it when states do recognize it, and that the people who wanted to ban in CA couldn't defend the ballot initiative in court. For as momentous as these rulings may seem, they are still fairly narrow in the scope.
Last edited by tifosi77 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:45 am

columbia wrote:PFIDC's band really timed all of this well.

:lol:

My band mates know my beliefs. This doesn't change how I feel about them.

Serious question; does this now remove the protection from religious institutions from refusing to perform gay marriage?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby obhave on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:49 am

PensFanInDC wrote:
columbia wrote:PFIDC's band really timed all of this well.

:lol:

My band mates know my beliefs. This doesn't change how I feel about them.

Serious question; does this now remove the protection from religious institutions from refusing to perform gay marriage?

I hope not. This should not be a battle with religious institutions or their definition of marriage. It is a battle with the government, and that is how I have always seen it.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR