LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:51 am

obhave wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
columbia wrote:PFIDC's band really timed all of this well.


:lol:

My band mates know my beliefs. This doesn't change how I feel about them.

Serious question; does this now remove the protection from religious institutions from refusing to perform gay marriage?


I hope not. This should not be a battle with religious institutions or their definition of marriage. It is a battle with the government, and that is how I have always seen it.


But, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, this removes the federal protection on religious institutions to deny people marriage based on sexual orientation. If so then I am rather unhappy with the decision. If not, then I will continue to not care.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,916
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby obhave on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:55 am

tifosi77 wrote:These aren't completely sweeping rulings; the Court has not addressed the question of whether or not states can limit same-sex marriage. Just that the federal government cannot choose to ignore it when states do recognize it, and that the people who wanted to ban in CA couldn't defend the ballot initiative in court. For as momentous as these rulings may seem, they are still fairly narrow in the scope.


Although they are "narrow in the scope", what I see them as is a step forward. It is finally a federal recognition of rights. And to me, that is momentous for the movement.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,918
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:56 pm

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:56 am

Oh certainly, if for nothing more than the symbology of the SCOTUS saying anything that affirms same-sex marriage rights it's a momentous day. But in terms of controlling legal precedent, I think both cases are a little weak in the knees.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,085
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:58 am

PensFanInDC wrote:
obhave wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
columbia wrote:PFIDC's band really timed all of this well.


:lol:

My band mates know my beliefs. This doesn't change how I feel about them.

Serious question; does this now remove the protection from religious institutions from refusing to perform gay marriage?


I hope not. This should not be a battle with religious institutions or their definition of marriage. It is a battle with the government, and that is how I have always seen it.


But, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, this removes the federal protection on religious institutions to deny people marriage based on sexual orientation. If so then I am rather unhappy with the decision. If not, then I will continue to not care.

I don't know why it would. The two are completely separate issues. Where are you getting that information?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,085
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:04 am

It amazes me how stupid people are on my Facebook feed.

"HOOORRRAYYYYYY DOMA IS DEAD!!! YAYY!!!!!!!! WE WIN!!!!!!"

SCOTUS invalidated one section of the law. The rest of DOMA is still alive and well.

It's funny how many people think the law has been completely stricken from record.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 60,559
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:06 am

tifosi77 wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
obhave wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
columbia wrote:PFIDC's band really timed all of this well.


:lol:

My band mates know my beliefs. This doesn't change how I feel about them.

Serious question; does this now remove the protection from religious institutions from refusing to perform gay marriage?


I hope not. This should not be a battle with religious institutions or their definition of marriage. It is a battle with the government, and that is how I have always seen it.


But, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, this removes the federal protection on religious institutions to deny people marriage based on sexual orientation. If so then I am rather unhappy with the decision. If not, then I will continue to not care.

I don't know why it would. The two are completely separate issues. Where are you getting that information?


There is a reason I asked for someone to correct me if I was wrong. This is going strictly on my understanding of the law which is admittedly not very broad.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,916
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Pitt87 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:32 am

shafnutz05 wrote:It amazes me how stupid people are on my Facebook feed.

"HOOORRRAYYYYYY DOMA IS DEAD!!! YAYY!!!!!!!! WE WIN!!!!!!"

SCOTUS invalidated one section of the law. The rest of DOMA is still alive and well.

It's funny how many people think the law has been completely stricken from record.


The key items that infringed on equal rights were stricken. It's no longer in violation of peoples rights, as I understand the ruling.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,476
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:35 am

Pitt87 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:It amazes me how stupid people are on my Facebook feed.

"HOOORRRAYYYYYY DOMA IS DEAD!!! YAYY!!!!!!!! WE WIN!!!!!!"

SCOTUS invalidated one section of the law. The rest of DOMA is still alive and well.

It's funny how many people think the law has been completely stricken from record.


The key items that infringed on equal rights were stricken. It's no longer in violation of peoples rights, as I understand the ruling.


This is correct, but a lot of people are interpreting this as gay marriage being approved federally. States still don't have to recognize gay marriage, and THAT is going to be a much more difficult hill to climb. It is certainly good news for gay couples living in states that currently allow it.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 60,559
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby IanMoran on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:43 am

shafnutz05 wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:It amazes me how stupid people are on my Facebook feed.

"HOOORRRAYYYYYY DOMA IS DEAD!!! YAYY!!!!!!!! WE WIN!!!!!!"

SCOTUS invalidated one section of the law. The rest of DOMA is still alive and well.

It's funny how many people think the law has been completely stricken from record.


The key items that infringed on equal rights were stricken. It's no longer in violation of peoples rights, as I understand the ruling.


This is correct, but a lot of people are interpreting this as gay marriage being approved federally. States still don't have to recognize gay marriage, and THAT is going to be a much more difficult hill to climb. It is certainly good news for gay couples living in states that currently allow it.

I think its the best day for gay marriage that anyone could have REASONABLY predicted based on the cases brought to SCOTUS
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,997
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Minneapolis, via Pittsburgh

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:45 am

^That is a fair and accurate assessment. Just noticing a lot of misinformation out there.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 60,559
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby shoeshine boy on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:46 am

shafnutz05 wrote:
This is correct, but a lot of people are interpreting this as gay marriage being approved federally. States still don't have to recognize gay marriage, and THAT is going to be a much more difficult hill to climb. It is certainly good news for gay couples living in states that currently allow it.


the MUCH bigger deal is the access to federal benefits for couples that are legally married.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,511
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:44 am
Location: me, 3 years Super League

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby columbia on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:23 pm

El Rushbo doesn't sound happy.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,888
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: دعنا نذهب طيور البطريق

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Pitt87 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:53 pm

IanMoran wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:It amazes me how stupid people are on my Facebook feed.

"HOOORRRAYYYYYY DOMA IS DEAD!!! YAYY!!!!!!!! WE WIN!!!!!!"

SCOTUS invalidated one section of the law. The rest of DOMA is still alive and well.

It's funny how many people think the law has been completely stricken from record.


The key items that infringed on equal rights were stricken. It's no longer in violation of peoples rights, as I understand the ruling.


This is correct, but a lot of people are interpreting this as gay marriage being approved federally. States still don't have to recognize gay marriage, and THAT is going to be a much more difficult hill to climb. It is certainly good news for gay couples living in states that currently allow it.

I think its the best day for gay marriage that anyone could have REASONABLY predicted based on the cases brought to SCOTUS


I like to think of it as a good day for the rights of married people in general. Times have changed, and our system allows for corrections. This was a good correction.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,476
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby rasbatch on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:55 pm

columbia wrote:El Rushbo doesn't sound happy.

That's reason enough for me to celebrate :fist:
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,133
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:05 am
Location: morgantown WV

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Grunthy on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:57 pm

Serious question. Are marriage benefits provided by the govrrnment bc married people will be a net benefit to the government, i. e. they provide children? What benefit does a same-sex couple bring to the government?

Again I am asking a question not advocating one side or the other.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,328
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:08 pm

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Pitt87 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:00 pm

shoeshine boy wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
This is correct, but a lot of people are interpreting this as gay marriage being approved federally. States still don't have to recognize gay marriage, and THAT is going to be a much more difficult hill to climb. It is certainly good news for gay couples living in states that currently allow it.


the MUCH bigger deal is the access to federal benefits for couples that are legally married.


Not sure what benefits, but its the equal treatment under the law that is changed. Before, even if the state said you're married, Fed was required to not acknowledge it. Now, they must acknowledge same-sex marriage as a legit. States will have to decide if they want to be inclusive or exclusive, which is their entitlement.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,476
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby columbia on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:11 pm

Image
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,888
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: دعنا نذهب طيور البطريق

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby MWB on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:15 pm

A duck and a deer? Weird.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,748
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby columbia on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:16 pm

Think about having a relationship with a cicada: talk about a lot of free time!
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,888
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: دعنا نذهب طيور البطريق

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby rasbatch on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:17 pm

I have always thought there wasn't something quite right about that AFLAC duck
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,133
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:05 am
Location: morgantown WV

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby columbia on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:24 pm

I saw a bit of CNN during lunch. The caption under a witness for the Zimmerman trial read said, "witness is attending college hoping to be a lobotomist."
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,888
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: دعنا نذهب طيور البطريق

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Hockeynut! on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:26 pm

columbia wrote:
Spoiler:
Image

That's hilarious!
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,056
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:55 am

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:28 pm

columbia wrote:I saw a bit of CNN during lunch. The caption under a witness for the Zimmerman trial read said, "witness is attending college hoping to be a lobotomist."


Did you hear about the prosecution's star witness? She seems like a real winner.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/twitter/rachel-jeantel-758403

In a post Sunday, Jeantel wrote “Court nails” and included a link to a photo (seen at right) showing fingernails with fresh orange polish.

On her Facebook page, Jeantel uploaded a photo Sunday showing an empty bottle of Hennessy cognac, along with the caption, “Last drink for the week long ass week too.” According to her Facebook profile, Jeantel attended Miami Norland Senior High School and has “studied criminal justice at Miami University.” As for where she works, Jeantel reported, “My mama n daddy do all the work I just spend it.”
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 60,559
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby columbia on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:29 pm

Pride of the ACC right there.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,888
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: دعنا نذهب طيور البطريق

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:37 pm

Grunthy wrote:Serious question. Are marriage benefits provided by the govrrnment bc married people will be a net benefit to the government, i. e. they provide children? What benefit does a same-sex couple bring to the government?

Again I am asking a question not advocating one side or the other.

Not all heterosexual couples procreate, and same-sex couples can adopt.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,085
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


e-mail