LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Willie Kool on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:19 pm

But wait, did you order a pizza?
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Can't you feel it, now that Spring has come? That it's time to live in the scattered sun.

Postby columbia on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:21 pm

Willie Kool wrote:But wait, did you order a pizza?

DocEmrick did and Pavel Bure paid for it.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Willie Kool on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:21 pm

No way I'd eat that thing, after what PB did to me last game. :lol:
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Can't you feel it, now that Spring has come? That it's time to live in the scattered sun.

Postby Factorial on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:34 pm

Columbia's Pizza:

Spoiler:
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby GaryRissling on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:49 pm

They may not knock on our doors, but there can be little doubt that from Hoover to today federal law enforcement agencies have used such info for political purposes. Only now they have more info to use.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Factorial on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:13 pm

I get the argument against this on constitutional grounds but can you give me some specific scenarios that you can envision occurring? EPP mentioned Santorum becoming President and publishing "embarrassing" information (one's online pr0n viewing habits?) about you in the local paper. I think it if get to that point, that is the least of our concerns.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:17 pm

Given the history of self-righteous ****** like Santorum, I imagine that we could fine some pr0n on his Google-machine logs.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:30 pm

Here's another example of legislators being bought off and obstructing the free market, for the the benefit of....I guess themselves so they can be re-elected:
http://green.autoblog.com/2013/06/27/pr ... ect-sales/
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:31 pm

My concern about the government having access to any information they want on me is combining that with eventually managing my health care. If I self diagnose that can be used against me. If my purchase history falls under risky by HHS then that can hurt me. It's not a far jump to that at all.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:29 pm

Like if you buy 80/20 hamburger instead of 90/10 your ObamaCare premiums go up?
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:31 pm

New book reveals how KGB operation seeded Muslim countries with anti-American, anti-Jewish propaganda during the 1970s, laying the groundwork for Islamist terrorism against U.S. and Israel
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rgets.html
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:46 am

columbia wrote:New book reveals how KGB operation seeded Muslim countries with anti-American, anti-Jewish propaganda during the 1970s, laying the groundwork for Islamist terrorism against U.S. and Israel

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rgets.html

:shock:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:50 am

That looks like a fascinating read.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:53 am

Troy Loney wrote:That looks like a fascinating read.

I thought it was going to be a lot longer. The page length is about 8x longer than the actual article because of all of the garbage links the Daily Mail scatters down the right side. Still interesting.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:55 am

I meant the book.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:01 am

Troy Loney wrote:I meant the book.

Ahh yes....of course :face:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:28 am

Factorial wrote:I get the argument against this on constitutional grounds but can you give me some specific scenarios that you can envision occurring? EPP mentioned Santorum becoming President and publishing "embarrassing" information (one's online pr0n viewing habits?) about you in the local paper. I think it if get to that point, that is the least of our concerns.

Here are a couple of examples of how illicitly obtained intel is used. Further, it is widely speculated that such information may be used to induce people to become government informants, suppress political dissent, orchestrate politically beneficial events (fake terror attacks), fuel smear campaigns, get/suppress congressional votes on specific pieces of legislation, influence media, etc. etc.

Scenarios involving government abuse of intel are only hypothetical to the extent that it used to be more difficult to obtain the intel. No one can possibly argue that the scenarios listed below were in any way for the public's benefit, nor can anyone argue that our hi-tech programs offer sufficient safeguards to prevent similar attacks from occurring even more regularly. That the government isn't using this intel to disappear citizens on US soil is hardly an acceptable standard.

Rep. Louis Gohmert (R-TX)
Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX) thinks that the FBI may have been gathering information on former CIA Director David Petraeus to blackmail him so that he would testify favorably to the Obama administration’s position on the attack on Benghazi in September. “Hypothetically, of course,” as Gohmert put it.

http://thinkprogress.org/security/2012/ ... ?mobile=nc

Hoping to prove the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. was under the influence of Communists, the FBI kept the civil rights leader under constant surveillance.

The agency's hidden tape recorders turned up almost nothing about communism.

But they did reveal embarrassing details about King's sex life -- details the FBI was able to use against him.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/31/mlk.fbi.conspiracy/

Edit to add:

Mr. Hunt urged us to carry out a “covert operation” to get a “mother lode” of information about Mr. Ells-berg’s mental state, to discredit him, by breaking into the office of his psychiatrist, Dr. Lewis Fielding. Mr. Liddy told us the F.B.I. had frequently carried out such covert operations — a euphemism for burglaries — in national security investigations, that he had even done some himself.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/30/opini ... .html?_r=0
Last edited by GaryRissling on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kaizer on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:30 am

Let me guess, he liked to pee on them.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby GaryRissling on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:15 pm

I've never been the biggest Chris Hayes fan, but his commentary on the difference in treatment between those who advance pro-government leaks (Barbara Starr) vs those who advance leaks critical of the government (Greenwald) is highly poignant.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/2 ... _ref=media

On Thursday, Hayes made note of Barbara Starr's report for CNN, which contained leaks from administration and intelligence officials. Those sources said that terrorists are changing their communication methods in light of the Snowden leaks.

The report, Hayes said, supported allegations against Greenwald, but also revealed more about what the United States knows about terrorists than did Snowden's leaks. "And, yet, somehow I have not heard members of Congress calling Barbara Starr's reporting dangerous, or pushing for her prosecution the way some did when Glenn Greenwald reported the Edward Snowden leaks," he said.

Hayes continued, "It is a problem for this country and for the functioning of our democracy when Glenn Greenwald's leaked reporting is treated so differently than Barbara Starr. When, with Glenn Greenwald, they're not designed to advanced Pentagon's agenda, then we have calls for prosecution. When they are, as with the Barbara Starr reporting, radio silence."
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GaryRissling on Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:36 pm

TERROR!!!TERROR!!!TERROR!!!TERROR!!!TERROR!!!TERROR!!!TERROR!!!TERROR!!!TERROR!!!TERROR!!!TERROR!!!

About 87 percent of the [3,395 state and federal] wiretaps were issued in drug-related cases, the report said

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/0 ... =co9300584

TERROR!!!TERROR!!!TERROR!!!TERROR!!!TERROR!!!TERROR!!!TERROR!!!TERROR!!!TERROR!!!TERROR!!!TERROR!!!
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:42 pm

GaryRissling wrote:I've never been the biggest Chris Hayes fan, but his commentary on the difference in treatment between those who advance pro-government leaks (Barbara Starr) vs those who advance leaks critical of the government (Greenwald) is highly poignant.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/2 ... _ref=media

On Thursday, Hayes made note of Barbara Starr's report for CNN, which contained leaks from administration and intelligence officials. Those sources said that terrorists are changing their communication methods in light of the Snowden leaks.

The report, Hayes said, supported allegations against Greenwald, but also revealed more about what the United States knows about terrorists than did Snowden's leaks. "And, yet, somehow I have not heard members of Congress calling Barbara Starr's reporting dangerous, or pushing for her prosecution the way some did when Glenn Greenwald reported the Edward Snowden leaks," he said.

Hayes continued, "It is a problem for this country and for the functioning of our democracy when Glenn Greenwald's leaked reporting is treated so differently than Barbara Starr. When, with Glenn Greenwald, they're not designed to advanced Pentagon's agenda, then we have calls for prosecution. When they are, as with the Barbara Starr reporting, radio silence."

I'm glad all this stuff is coming out and respect what Snowden did. It gives Americans a glimpse into how the gov. operates, at the very least.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:48 pm

I couldn't agree more, but it's shocking to see that the media is shifting attention from the revelations to the character, not only of snowden, but of a journalist. I don't think I can remember another time when journalists were trying to dig up dirt on another journalist.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:54 pm

GaryRissling wrote:I couldn't agree more, but it's shocking to see that the media is shifting attention from the revelations to the character, not only of snowden, but of a journalist. I don't think I can remember another time when journalists were trying to dig up dirt on another journalist.

Yes. One would think the general media would start digging into what the gov. is doing, but they're mostly sitting quiet. That is not a good sign for our country when the media is so buddy-buddy with the authorities.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kaizer on Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:43 pm

I fail to see how that is remotely shocking.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Factorial on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:51 pm

Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to NHR