LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby GaryRissling on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:56 pm

That is awesome.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,635
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:58 pm

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:50 pm

Bit of good news:

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2013/06/28/NFL-Obamacare

On Friday, the NFL indicated that the league had no desire to help the Obama administration sell and implement Obamacare this fall.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy emailed the Washington Examiner's Philip Klein to say the NFL had no plans to help promote Obamacare:

We have responded to the letters we received from members of Congress to inform them we currently have no plans to engage in this area and have had no substantive contact with the administration about PPACA’s implementation.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 60,558
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:35 pm

Can someone explain this New Yorker cover to me?

Spoiler:
Image


Since when are Bert and Ernie gay? I'm a supporter of gay marriage, but I find this cover to be incredibly self-serving and a bit sickening. This cover reeks to me of trying to be edgy/flashy. Why can't we celebrate a victory for homosexuals without turning Bert and Ernie into gay lovers?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 60,558
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby columbia on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:40 pm

They're not gay....they're ganstas:

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,888
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: دعنا نذهب طيور البطريق

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Hockeynut! on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:43 pm

Why can't two straight men sit on the couch together and celebrate a gay right's victory? :pop:
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,059
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:55 am

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Willie Kool on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:44 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Can someone explain this New Yorker cover to me?

Spoiler:
Image


Since when are Bert and Ernie gay? I'm a supporter of gay marriage, but I find this cover to be incredibly self-serving and a bit sickening. This cover reeks to me of trying to be edgy/flashy. Why can't we celebrate a victory for homosexuals without turning Bert and Ernie into gay lovers?

August 2011:

Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,430
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Can't you feel it, now that Spring has come? That it's time to live in the scattered sun.

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Willie Kool on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:45 pm

And honestly, I've suspected it since '74.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,430
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Can't you feel it, now that Spring has come? That it's time to live in the scattered sun.

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby pittsoccer33 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:10 am

pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,756
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Geezer on Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:25 am

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/06 ... latestnews
I hope the Army can keep some of the historical units and make their cuts elsewhere.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,775
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:24 am

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Sarcastic on Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:22 am

Image

That moron is outright embarrassing.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/06/30/19214380-report-nsa-bugged-european-union-offices-computer-networks
http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/nsa-spied-on-european-union-offices-a-908590.html

BRUSSELS, Belgium - The United States has bugged European Union offices and gained access to EU internal computer networks, according to secret documents cited in a German magazine on Saturday, the latest in a series of exposures of alleged U.S. spy programs.

The document outlines how the NSA bugged offices and spied on EU internal computer networks in Washington and at the United Nations, not only listening to conversations and phone calls but also gaining access to documents and emails.

According to Der Spiegel, the NSA also targeted telecommunications at the Justus Lipsius building in Brussels, home to the European Council, the collective of EU national governments.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,340
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Geezer on Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:03 am

Sarcastic wrote:Image

That moron is outright embarrassing.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/06/30/19214380-report-nsa-bugged-european-union-offices-computer-networks
http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/nsa-spied-on-european-union-offices-a-908590.html

BRUSSELS, Belgium - The United States has bugged European Union offices and gained access to EU internal computer networks, according to secret documents cited in a German magazine on Saturday, the latest in a series of exposures of alleged U.S. spy programs.

The document outlines how the NSA bugged offices and spied on EU internal computer networks in Washington and at the United Nations, not only listening to conversations and phone calls but also gaining access to documents and emails.

According to Der Spiegel, the NSA also targeted telecommunications at the Justus Lipsius building in Brussels, home to the European Council, the collective of EU national governments.

Shocking!!! Do you realize that all countries spy on each other and that they have since pre-biblical times? Or does just American spying offend you?
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,775
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:24 am

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby columbia on Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:04 am

This twice in two days that I've agreed with Geezer. :scared: :lol:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,888
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: دعنا نذهب طيور البطريق

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Sarcastic on Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:14 am

Geezer wrote:Shocking!!! Do you realize that all countries spy on each other and that they have since pre-biblical times? Or does just American spying offend you?


OMG. You are siding with Obama. Let's just spy on everybody then. Americans and non-Americans. Just spy spy spy. I understand the spying game, but it seems the US government knows no boundaries and is the only one that seems to be getting caught spying on everyone else. First, Bush and the UN and now Obama and the EU. If you don't think this will impact our relations with the EU, then I don't know what to tell you. Or maybe you're one of those isolationists who just wants to lock himself up within own borders and piss on anyone else in the world.

"Martin Schulz, the president of the European Parliament, said that if the report was correct, it would have a "severe impact" on relations between the EU and the United States."
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,340
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Sarcastic on Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:25 am

I'll add one thing before I log off for now.

It's one thing to play the spying game with China where they supposedly hack our computers and we theirs.

It's a whole different issue when we get caught spying on 50 nations at once, nations that we are trying to have good relationships with, and many of whom are true allies. Sadly, the US is becoming a despicable country. We start wars at will and we get caught spying on everyone else en masse including our own allies.

We can also now see why Obama wanted to catch Snowden. He wanted to get to him before this came out. Ha.

This is a giant embarrassment for the United States and the Obama administration any way you look at it.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,340
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Factorial on Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:24 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I'll add one thing before I log off for now.


Didn't think you ever logged off. :)
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,123
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Gleefully Ignorant

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Kaizer on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:02 pm

telling geezer why obama is bad is like telling sidney crosby what its like to score goals.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,542
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:02 am
Location: Crazy Town

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Sarcastic on Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:03 pm

Factorial wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:I'll add one thing before I log off for now.


Didn't think you ever logged off. :)


lol. you know what i'll sometimes do. just stay logged in all day, even if i'm not touching the pc for hours or even leave the house. my pc stays on most of the time, though I do have a good firewall just in case.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,340
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Sarcastic on Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:09 pm

Kaizer wrote:telling geezer why obama is bad is like telling sidney crosby what its like to score goals.


I know. I thought this would be a time where I'd see Geezer HAMMER Obama.

btw, aren't you in Germany? They're reportedly furious at Obama.

from above link.... I think they updated the story because I don't remember these comments before. This is really serious:

Some policymakers said talks for a free trade agreement between Washington and the EU should be put on ice until further clarification from the United States.

"Partners do not spy on each other," the European commissioner for justice and fundamental rights, Viviane Reding, said at a public event in Luxembourg on Sunday.

"We cannot negotiate over a big transatlantic market if there is the slightest doubt that our partners are carrying out spying activities on the offices of our negotiators," Reding said in comments passed on to reporters by her spokeswoman.

The European Parliament's foreign affairs committee head Elmar Brok, from Chancellor Angela Merkel's Christian Democrats. echoed those views.

"The spying has taken on dimensions that I would never have thought possible from a democratic state," he told Der Spiegel.

"How should we still negotiate if we must fear that our negotiating position is being listened to beforehand?"
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,340
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:26 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Bit of good news:

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2013/06/28/NFL-Obamacare

On Friday, the NFL indicated that the league had no desire to help the Obama administration sell and implement Obamacare this fall.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy emailed the Washington Examiner's Philip Klein to say the NFL had no plans to help promote Obamacare:

We have responded to the letters we received from members of Congress to inform them we currently have no plans to engage in this area and have had no substantive contact with the administration about PPACA’s implementation.


What a joke. Washington DC is reaching out to professional sports to help get Obamacare over the hump. We are a pop-culture society.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,032
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:41 am

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Beveridge on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:28 am

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Bit of good news:

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2013/06/28/NFL-Obamacare

On Friday, the NFL indicated that the league had no desire to help the Obama administration sell and implement Obamacare this fall.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy emailed the Washington Examiner's Philip Klein to say the NFL had no plans to help promote Obamacare:

We have responded to the letters we received from members of Congress to inform them we currently have no plans to engage in this area and have had no substantive contact with the administration about PPACA’s implementation.


What a joke. Washington DC is reaching out to professional sports to help get Obamacare over the hump. We are a pop-culture society.


Politics is downstream from culture
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,974
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:38 pm
Location: Punxsutawney

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby shoeshine boy on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:50 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Can someone explain this New Yorker cover to me?

Spoiler:
Image


Since when are Bert and Ernie gay? I'm a supporter of gay marriage, but I find this cover to be incredibly self-serving and a bit sickening. This cover reeks to me of trying to be edgy/flashy. Why can't we celebrate a victory for homosexuals without turning Bert and Ernie into gay lovers?


ummm..since like, forever. Gaydar is a very tricky thing. some folks have it, some folks don't.
might be some celebrities that you didn't hear about as well so I'll catch you up with 2 of them: Jody Foster and Ricky Martin
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,487
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:44 am
Location: me, 3 years Super League

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:19 am

A tangible result of DOMA's demise.....

Gay Married Man in Florida Is Approved for Green Card
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/01/us/ga ... .html?_r=0

Great....now the terrorists are going to start marrying US citizens. :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,888
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: دعنا نذهب طيور البطريق

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby shoeshine boy on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:33 am

I was wondering about this yesterday. I have a couple of friends, one Canadian and one American who were forced to move to Canada because the Canadian's work visa expired and the school she worked for wasn't willing to keep up her sponsorship. since the move they have been legally married in Canada. I doubt they'll move back because they seem quite happy where they are but sound like it might be an option for them now.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,487
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:44 am
Location: me, 3 years Super League

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:36 am

Related:

I know a couple that was married in Canada in 2006.
They live in PA....so does the federal government recognize that?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,888
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: دعنا نذهب طيور البطريق

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby GaryRissling on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:25 am

http://m.democracynow.org/stories/13745

A new book on last year’s Benghazi attack in Libya concludes the killing of U.S. ambassador Christoper Stevens and three others was in part blowback for a secret assassination operation run in North Africa by the Joint Special Operations Command and John Brennan, President Obama’s then counterrorism advisor, now director of the CIA. According to "Benghazi: The Definitive Report," President Obama’s counterterrorism adviser, John Brennan and JSOC commander Admiral Bill McRaven were running "off the books" unilateral operations in North Africa that were not coordinated through the Pentagon or other governmental agencies, including the CIA. Ambassador Stevens was reportedly never informed about these operations.


FYI, these are the books authors:

Brandon Tyler Webb (born 1974) is a former United States Navy SEAL and SEAL Sniper Head Instructor, with combat deployments to southwest Asia, including Iraq and Afghanistan, and an author.[1][2] He served as the Navy SEAL Sniper Course Manager, where he developed new curricula and trained snipers, including Chris Kyle. He is the editor in chief of SOFREP[3] and a media commentator on snipers and related Special Operations Forces military issues.[4] Webb is the co-author of The 21st Century Sniper: A Complete Practical Guide and his memoir The Red Circle.


FYI, these authors (both former special ops soldiers) were on hannity (of all places).

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/02/18/wa ... in-hannity
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,635
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:58 pm

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


e-mail