LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby BigMcK on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:29 pm

I have a great overhead shot of SFO from takeoff from Oakland, and the runways are close to the end of land. As EPP says, that approach is fun, in a not-too-fun way.
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:53 pm

Gaucho wrote:Reminds me of Air France Flight 447 from Rio to Paris a few years ago. Turned out be a much bigger tragedy, of course, but bottom line was: had the pilot (or co-pilot, the pilot was napping, iirc) done nothing, the crash doesn't happen. At least that's how I remember it.

Well that was a different circumstance because at least one of their instruments was wonky. The aircrew in that accident applied a combination of correct and incorrect control inputs given the flight data available to them. And a major contributor to the accident was the actual design of the Airbus cockpit itself.

But the short version is pretty much what you said; if they had done nothing the plane probably wouldn't have crashed.

BigMcK wrote:I have a great overhead shot of SFO from takeoff from Oakland, and the runways are close to the end of land. As EPP says, that approach is fun, in a not-too-fun way.

Water water water water water water water water water water LAND.

:lol:

I enjoy it.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:45 pm

Employer mandate suspended for (at least) one year. Check.
No income verification done for those who apply for Obama-care subsidies. Check

To the former, nothing like changing a law at your own discretion.

To the latter, what a joke. Too tough to verify? That shouldn't be an excuse. It's what the Democrats crammed through.

ACA is going to implode much faster than I anticipated.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Shyster on Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:57 pm

columbia wrote:Here's one for Shyster.....

US Air Force My Little Pony Patch Is Apparently Real
http://www.neatorama.com/2013/07/07/US- ... ntly-Real/

:thumb:
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shyster on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:21 pm

Salon has a preview of Randy Balko's upcoming book Rise of the Warrior Cop: The Militarization of America's Police Forces:

http://www.salon.com/2013/07/07/%e2%80% ... f_control/

I've already pre-ordered the Kindle version.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:06 pm

That same year, Virginia’s government spent $20 million promoting the state lottery.

:face:

This is a huge pet peeve of my father-in-law. He's a lifetime cop and a graduate of the FBI Academy, and he's been seeing this since he was part of his county's SWAT team in Illinois back in the early 80s. He says far too many units (particularly the small town outfits) are stocked with weekend warriors kitted out in mil-spec utilities and body armor because it makes them feel tough. But the truth is, they're little more than under-trained and over-weaponized hooligans.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:41 pm

Frustrated Obama Considers Full Troop Withdrawal From Afghanistan
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/09/world ... istan.html

I can't wait hear what Mr. and Mrs. McCain have to say about that.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kaizer on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:09 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
Kaizer wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:Just as I suspected, sounds like the tail was so low it scraped the Seawall on the landing.

They have automated systems to prevent these things, I've heard a lot of pilots (especially foriegn ones) don't use them. Hard to fathom.

The most the plane does is warn you that you're close to the ground, which will happen whether you crash or land perfectly. Catch some wind shear, and it won't matter how sophisticated your aircraft is, its almost impossible to keep in the air.

Heard a very clear and concise description of the mishap on Sirius this morning provided by a pilot and attorney who specializes in aviation law.

- Captain had over 12,000 hours in 'heavies' (mostly 747) but had less than 100 in-type (777), and had never performed an over-water approach (which can mess up your visual references) in-type.

- SFO Instrument Landing System (ILS) has been disabled since early June and is undergoing renovation work through early August. (My return flight from SFO last week was delayed by about an hour because of FAA checks of the ILS system that effectively shut down all the runways for half an hour; the conga line at the end of all four runways was impressive)

- 777 carries an on-board GPS system that provides much the same information as ILS, but it wasn't activated; approach was 100% "VFR"... and was likely the first VFR approach ever flown in-type by this captain.

- Normal approach speed is 137 KIAS (knots indicated airspeed), but this aircraft was down to 103 KIAS... which basically means he was falling more than flying.

- The First Officer's main job during landing is to monitor airspeed and and glideslope and to physically take over the controls if the Captain is out of normal parameters at 500' above ground level (AGL). He did not do this, despite excessively slow airspeed and excessively high sink rate.

- To arrest the sink approaching the runway threshold the pilot applied power and increased pitch simultaneously, but because of the normal lag in a turbofan engine the increased power hadn't actually come in which meant the change in pitch just raised the nose up - and lowered the tail - and somewhat increased the sink rate, which led to the tail section striking the ground and bringing the rest of the plane down hard on the main mounts.

- If the pilot had done nothing, the likelihood is the plane would have landed well short of the touchdown zone (which is 1,100' from the runway threshold) and harder than normal but would have otherwise been completely safe.

In short: Pretty clear case of human error.

well, thats a wrap. although i dont understand how he could have 100 hours without a single VFR approach.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shyster on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:15 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Heard a very clear and concise description of the mishap on Sirius this morning provided by a pilot and attorney who specializes in aviation law.
[ snip ]

From watching many, many episodes of Mayday/Air Crash Investigation/Air Disasters in the past, I can say that more than one crash has occurred because other members of the cockpit crew have been hesitant to countermand a perceived senior officer flying the plane. For example, the Tenerife disaster was caused in part by the hesitancy of the KLM 747’s crew to countermand the actions of their captain, who was KLM’s chief of flight training and one of the airline's most senior pilots (Captain van Zanten was so senior that when KLM got word of the disaster, they initially suggested he serve on the investigation team before they realized he’d actually been flying the plane in question). United Airlines Flight 173 ran out of fuel and crashed in Portland because the captain got confused and distracted but the other junior officers were hesitant to take over even though they knew full well their DC-8 was running on fumes. Korean Air Cargo Flight 8509 crashed shortly after takeoff from London Stansted Airport because the captain’s artificial horizon was malfunctioning, and he didn’t realize how sharply he was banking, but the much-more-junior first officer (whose instruments were working properly) deferred to him and didn’t take over the controls even though their 747 freighter was banked almost on its side and was clearly stalling. The report issued for that crash criticized Korean Air’s company culture (which may have derived from Korean culture itself) where junior officers were expected to defer to their seniors rather than work as equals on a team.

It would be premature to say that anything like that happened in this case, but it has been a factor in the past, and this was another Korean airline. The pilot who was landing the plane was less experienced in flying a 777, but he had overall seniority on his copilot. The first officer may have been hesitant to take over from a perceived superior even though that superior was flying far too low and too slow.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:32 am

There's amateur video of the crash on YouTube (don't want to post it here cos that seems in bad taste), shot from across the bay. From the first moment the aircraft appears in frame it's clear it's considerably too low even 1/4 mile from the runway threshold.

In related news, apparently one survivor is claiming that after all the crashing and banging stopped the standard arrival announcement came on over the intercom advising passengers that they had arrived safely and they were to remain in their seats until they were parked at the gate.

Kaizer wrote:well, thats a wrap. although i dont understand how he could have 100 hours without a single VFR approach.

From what I've read, it's pretty uncommon to be 100% VFR with the pilot in total control of every aspect of the approach and landing. Usually - even under VFR conditions - the won't take command of the aircraft until they're down to about 500' and perhaps a mile from the runway. This Asiana guy wasn't even using the auto-throttle to maintain airspeed; it was pure stick-and-rudder stuff....... and he did..... well, poorly.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:31 am

PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:43 am

Where is Snowden going?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:13 pm

Venezuela.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:27 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:

It's really frightening how stupid some people are.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:02 pm

A very good piece on the situation in Egypt: http://www.jadaliyya.com/pages/index/12779/on-sheep-and-infidels
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:23 pm

Rand Paul aide has history of neo-Confederate sympathies, inflammatory statements
http://freebeacon.com/rebel-yell/

So anyway....who are the libertarians here pushing for in 2016?
It certainly can't be that clown.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:38 pm

columbia wrote:Rand Paul aide has history of neo-Confederate sympathies, inflammatory statements

You're absolutely correct. I have no intention to support Jack Hunter for President. Although I don't think he's announced he's running.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:48 pm

Now that I think about it, you consider Lincoln to be a war criminal.....so perhaps Hunter is up your alley.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby redwill on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:54 pm

Yeah, reading that, I don't see much difference between Hunter and LGP-brand libertarianism.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:58 pm

Some, but not most.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:10 am

British public wrong about nearly everything, survey shows
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 97821.html
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:33 am

columbia wrote:Rand Paul aide has history of neo-Confederate sympathies, inflammatory statements

I urge the denizens of el gippy to click that link if only for the high comedy of seeing an image of a grown man wearing a confederate luchador mask.

And I absolutely love the whinging about white people not being able to celebrate their 'cultural identity'. Yes we are.... it's called Every Single Day of the Year. To paraphrase Louis C.K., being white is awesome. There's really no point in history that you couldn't travel back to, as a white person, and it wouldn't be fantastic to be you. But go back just 40, 50 years as a black person in this country and it would totally suck.

I also appreciated the statement from Sen Paul's office: "Sen. Paul holds his staff to a standard that includes treating every individual with equal protection and respect, without exception". It's as if since Paul opined that the Civil Rights Act was essentially bunk, he has to go out of his way to underscore that equal protection is a personal tenet of his.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:44 am

columbia wrote:British public wrong about nearly everything, survey shows
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 97821.html

To be honest, if the published statistics in all segments are anything like the way the British government tracks crime, I'm not surprised the public is wrong on everything.

In Britain, a crime does not get statistically recorded unless and until someone is arrested and charged. So that means that the only time in my life I've ever been the victim of a street crime didn't actually happen according the British government. My Panasonic GD87 flip phone was pickpocketed in Picadilly Circus in front of what used to be a Virgin Megastore. I reported it to the Metropolitan Police on Saville Row the next day, but since no arrest was ever made that incident never made it into the reckoning of national crime statistics. As if by magic, the British government made my theft disappear! Of course, it would have been much more useful if they had been able to make my phone reappear, but they aren't in the business of doing that.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Factorial on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:51 am

I'm going with:

Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:15 am

So....... in an effort to ban evil internet cafes, Florida has managed to banned all computers, smartphones and tablets.

The actual text of the law is worded incredibly badly.
"As used in this chapter, the term "slot machine or device" means any machine or device or system or network of devices is a slot machine or device within the provisions of this chapter if it is one that is adapted for use in such a way that, upon activation, which may be achieved by, but is not limited to, as a result of the insertion of any piece of money, coin, account number, code, or other object or information, such machine or device or system is directly or indirectly caused to operate or may be operated and if the user, whether by application of skill or by reason of any element of chance or of any other outcome of such operation unpredictable by the user......"
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR