LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:17 pm

That's an interesting choice of words, Shaf, considering the subsidy isn't about paying farmers to produce something as much as it is about paying to not produce something else.

Nearly three quarters of all farm subsidy dollars are paid to less than 10% of farmers.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Factorial on Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:52 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
columbia wrote:In terms of the cost, one of them is far worse and it's the one that was funded.

I'm not a fan of subsidies, but at least a lot of their beneficiaries actually, you know, produce something.

(unless we are counting votes as a consumer good)

And as Tif mentioned, the Food Stamp program is seriously out of control right now.

Agree on the program being out of control. Maybe if employers paid better people wouldn't need them as much. And maybe force people to use their 401K's, etc before coming for food stamps and extended unemployment.

The same goes for disability. Way too many free-loaders on disability now (like my ex mother-in-law). They should hire some freecandy types to bust these people.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:05 pm

Factorial wrote:The same goes for disability. Way too many free-loaders on disability now (like my ex mother-in-law). They should hire some freecandy types to bust these people.

This is one that I actually hear the most rampant abuse about, and it doesn't get as much publicity.

Tif, you are correct, most of those subsidies are going to "Big Ag".
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:17 pm

NSA officials testify to angry House panel that agency can perform 'three-hop queries' through Americans' data and records
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ju ... se-hearing
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:49 pm

Yeah, I posted that yesterday and was surprised it didn't get a reaction... Especially when considering that its estimated that no one on the Internet is ever more than 4.75 hops away from one another. So, they're damn near collecting all private Internet communications from everyone worldwide.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:24 pm

Factorial wrote:Maybe if employers paid better people wouldn't need them as much.

3/4 of SNAP households have a child, an elderly person, or a disabled person. Roughly 70% of SNAP aid recipients last year had no earned income, averaging under $800/month. Over half the recipients are not in the labor force and are not looking to join the labor force (for whatever reason), and just under half of the recipients are minor children. Less than 7% of SNAP beneficiaries also received jobless benefits. But in the last year that I could find data (2010) roughly 4/5 of SNAP payees were employed.

So I'm not sure the ballooning participation is an issue with low wages.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Guinness on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:32 pm

Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Factorial on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:37 pm

:pop:
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby GaryRissling on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:49 pm

:thumb:
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:51 pm

In before c2i and Godric.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:57 pm

lol, I just saw a commercial for a "magnificent 24k gold" coin documenting Bin Laden's death, with quotes from Obama and others on the back side. But wait, it comes with the Operation Geronimo "briefing pack"!

From "Justicecoin.com"
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bh on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:58 pm

I was just thinking of putting something about 1984. Guinness for the :thumb:
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bh on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:00 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:lol, I just saw a commercial for a "magnificent 24k gold" coin documenting Bin Laden's death, with quotes from Obama and others on the back side. But wait, it comes with the Operation Geronimo "briefing pack"!

From "Justicecoin.com"

:face: I just...
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:01 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:lol, I just saw a commercial for a "magnificent 24k gold" coin documenting Bin Laden's death, with quotes from Obama and others on the back side. But wait, it comes with the Operation Geronimo "briefing pack"!

From "Justicecoin.com"

The grey market precious metals industry never fails to, well, fail.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:26 pm

shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:54 pm

I have to go the there for work next April....can't wait.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:48 am

Sgt. Sean Murphy, a tactical photographer with the Massachusetts State Police who has photographed the funerals of many officers killed in the line of duty, is furious with the magazine. Murphy, who also acts a liaison to the families of fallen officers, is so angered by the cover—which he says is both dangerous and insulting to the victims of the bombings—that he feels the need to counter the message that it conveys.

Murphy wants the world to know that the Tsarnaev in the photos he took that night—defeated and barely alive, with the red dots of sniper rifles lighting up his forehead—is the real face of terrorism, not the handsome, confident young man shown on the magazine cover. Following are a number of his photos from that day. A more complete collection will appear in our September issue.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog/2013/07/18/tsarnaev/

“As a professional law-enforcement officer of 25 years, I believe that the image that was portrayed by Rolling Stone magazine was an insult to any person who has every worn a uniform of any color or any police organization or military branch, and the family members who have ever lost a loved one serving in the line of duty. The truth is that glamorizing the face of terror is not just insulting to the family members of those killed in the line of duty, it also could be an incentive to those who may be unstable to do something to get their face on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine.

“I hope that the people who see these images will know that this was real. It was as real as it gets. This may have played out as a television show, but this was not a television show. Officer Dick Donohue almost gave his life. Officer Sean Collier did give his life. These were real people, with real lives, with real families. And to have this cover dropped into Boston was hurtful to their memories and their families. I know from first-hand conversations that this Rolling Stone cover has kept many of them up—again. It’s irritated the wounds that will never heal—again. There is nothing glamorous in bringing more pain to a grieving family.

“Photography is very simple, it’s very basic. It brings us back to the cave. An image like this on the cover of Rolling Stone, we see it instantly as being wrong. What Rolling Stone did was wrong. This guy is evil. This is the real Boston bomber. Not someone fluffed and buffed for the cover of Rolling Stone magazine.”
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:03 am

BS, terror has no "real face".
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:03 am

I really think this photographer and those criticizing the image (outside of the family members) are missing the point. Rolling Stone didn't glamorize him, they were showing that this seemingly good looking, normal kid became an absolute monster after getting involved with radical Muslims. It's to show that the boogeyman isn't necessarily a dark skinned guy who "looks like" a terrorist. It's showing how radical Islam takes these people who are missing something in their lives and turns them into killers.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:07 am

People don't like to be reminded that every single one of us is capable of pretty much anything. They'd rather talk about some vague nonsense about "evil" and want to put a face on it.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:10 am

Hockeynut! wrote:I really think this photographer and those criticizing the image (outside of the family members) are missing the point. Rolling Stone didn't glamorize him, they were showing that this seemingly good looking, normal kid became an absolute monster after getting involved with radical Muslims. It's to show that the boogeyman isn't necessarily a dark skinned guy who "looks like" a terrorist. It's showing how radical Islam takes these people who are missing something in their lives and turns them into killers.

well said.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby GaryRissling on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:18 am

The photos compliment the RS story well, IMO. The whole point of the cover was to illustrate how Tsarnev by all accounts was a pretty typical american before he spiraled into the bomber.

IMO, the contentious issue with the cover has more to do with ourselves and how we want/demand to ignore the trajectory that takes americans like Tsarnev and al-Alawki from moderate individuals to terrorists. IMO, that trajectory and what causes it is the larger and much more relevant story from all perspectives: from a humanist point of view as well as a NatSec point of view.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GaryRissling on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:50 am

Can't wait to hear what Lindsay Graham has to say about this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23367401
A former CIA station chief convicted by an Italian court of kidnapping a terror suspect has been detained in Panama, Italian officials say.

Robert Seldon Lady was sentenced to nine years in jail for his involvement in the abduction of the man, an Egyptian cleric, in Milan in 2003.

GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:57 am

Liz Cheney is already getting blowback:

Sen. John Barrasso, a Cowboy State conservative like Enzi, called Cheney’s bid “the wrong race at the wrong time.”

Rep. Cynthia Lummis, a Wyoming Republican who was an early member of the House Tea Party Caucus, called Cheney a “shiny new pony” and said Enzi “has done nothing to merit a primary challenge.”

Sen. Jerry Moran (R-Kan.), who surfed the tea party wave to power in 2010 and now runs the Senate Republicans’ 2014 campaign, said, “Our support will be there for Mike.”

Even Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), a tea party icon, mocked the recently transplanted Cheney by saying he “wondered if she was running in her home state of Virginia.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ ... days-opeds
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby yubb on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:26 am

Hockeynut! wrote:I really think this photographer and those criticizing the image (outside of the family members) are missing the point. Rolling Stone didn't glamorize him, they were showing that this seemingly good looking, normal kid became an absolute monster after getting involved with radical Muslims. It's to show that the boogeyman isn't necessarily a dark skinned guy who "looks like" a terrorist. It's showing how radical Islam takes these people who are missing something in their lives and turns them into killers.

The cover most certainly did glamorize him.

Suppose, though, that they didn't put a "rock star" picture of him on the cover and instead just put the picture shown above or any other picture of him. That would be just as bad. Part of the problem with school shootings and these other crazy things is the notoriety and perceived fame that the criminals achieve through these acts.

Stop broadcasting names and pictures of the shooters and bombers. Stop giving the next kid a reason to think he's going to be on TV if he does something awful. I know this kid had other motivations than "fame". However, in many cases it plays a role.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR