LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:57 pm

Why is there a Berlin in PA?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:59 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Why is there a Berlin in PA?

To help us remember which is the potato-chip company and which is the pretzel company?
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:01 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Why is there a Berlin in PA?

Who in the world would have thought Mars and Moon were 30 miles apart?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:06 pm

Because both cities were named in honor of captain George Vancouver. Why didn't you say so? Do I always have to google things by myself?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:07 pm

Gaucho wrote:Because both cities were named in honor of captain George Vancouver. Why didn't you say so? Do I always have to google things by myself?

Yes because I doubt anyone knew that off hand.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jf on Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:37 pm

Pucks_and_Pols wrote:Obamacare, when you strip away all the partisan outrage it inherently induces, seems like a fairly moderate piecemeal of reforms, regulations, subsidies, and market solutions. I don’t see it as the all encompassing boogey man that conservatives seem to want to make it out to be. Are there flaws in the system? Certainly. The individual mandate still seems, and has always seemed, rather onerous to me. But it is a necessary part of the law that seeks to stop health insurance companies from capping rates or denying coverage. Its stops people from only buying insurance once they already are sick, which undermines the essential point of the insurance system, that healthy people pay in to cover the sick with the knowledge that they one day will be in the “sick” pool themselves.

Obamacare is not a big government takeover of the healthcare system. A big government takeover would have been 100% publically funded insurance across the board while maintaining a private healthcare delivery system. The Government pays the Doctors who make the decisions for each paitient based upon best practice medicine for each individual patient regardless of cost. That is the system I would have in my ideal world. Obamacare falls quite short of that. In many ways it maintains the status quo and sometimes it frustratingly further complicates what I already view as the most inefficient healthcare system in the modern industrialized world. It very much resembles the alternate plan that the 1994 era GOP was pushing for, and of course more famously the plan that Mitt Romney ushered in as Gov of Massachusetts.

The way this practically moderate Republican plan is absolutely demonized in the right wing press; and the zealous crusade by the GOP in the House to repeatedly repeal it as a solution for literally any problem that comes up in this country, keeps me on the side of letting the system get into place before we tear it down. Lets just wait and see how good or bad this plan really is. Because it is not going away anytime soon.

HR -2668 passed with the vote of 22 Democrats. Let's see what happens next .
jf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Kaizer on Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:03 am

Gaucho wrote:No, just kidding. Why is there a Vanvouver in the USA?

its future leverage. we'll sell it to canada after they burn theirs down.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:00 am

jf wrote:
Pucks_and_Pols wrote:Obamacare, when you strip away all the partisan outrage it inherently induces, seems like a fairly moderate piecemeal of reforms, regulations, subsidies, and market solutions. I don’t see it as the all encompassing boogey man that conservatives seem to want to make it out to be. Are there flaws in the system? Certainly. The individual mandate still seems, and has always seemed, rather onerous to me. But it is a necessary part of the law that seeks to stop health insurance companies from capping rates or denying coverage. Its stops people from only buying insurance once they already are sick, which undermines the essential point of the insurance system, that healthy people pay in to cover the sick with the knowledge that they one day will be in the “sick” pool themselves.

Obamacare is not a big government takeover of the healthcare system. A big government takeover would have been 100% publically funded insurance across the board while maintaining a private healthcare delivery system. The Government pays the Doctors who make the decisions for each paitient based upon best practice medicine for each individual patient regardless of cost. That is the system I would have in my ideal world. Obamacare falls quite short of that. In many ways it maintains the status quo and sometimes it frustratingly further complicates what I already view as the most inefficient healthcare system in the modern industrialized world. It very much resembles the alternate plan that the 1994 era GOP was pushing for, and of course more famously the plan that Mitt Romney ushered in as Gov of Massachusetts.

The way this practically moderate Republican plan is absolutely demonized in the right wing press; and the zealous crusade by the GOP in the House to repeatedly repeal it as a solution for literally any problem that comes up in this country, keeps me on the side of letting the system get into place before we tear it down. Lets just wait and see how good or bad this plan really is. Because it is not going away anytime soon.

HR -2668 passed with the vote of 22 Democrats. Let's see what happens next .

I am 99.9% sure what happens next is what has happened the previous few dozen times that the House has tried to repeal, reduce, or delay Obamacare. Same old song and dance again. I hate to be so cynical, but I don't see any improvement or further solutions coming out of this divided congress. The dual party impasse we have been in since 2010 isn't going to break anytime soon unless the voter's change it in 2014 one way or another.
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:04 am

Libertarians FTW
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby GSdrums87 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:19 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:Libertarians FTW

:thumb:
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:19 am

Kaizer wrote:
Gaucho wrote:No, just kidding. Why is there a Vanvouver in the USA?

its future leverage. we'll sell it to canada after they burn theirs down.

Well played, Sir.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:11 pm

It's being reported that the yemeni journalist, Shaye has finally been released from prison today.

Shaye is the Yemeni journalist who in 2009 exposed his government’s coverup of a U.S. missile strike that, according to McClatchy’s newswire, ended up killing “dozens of civilians, including 14 women and 21 children.” McClatchy notes that for the supposed crime of committing journalism, Shaye was sentenced to five years in prison following a trial that “was widely condemned as a sham” by watchdog groups and experts who noted that the prosecution did not “offer any substantive evidence to support (its) charges.”

http://www.salon.com/2013/06/28/obamas_ ... ournalism/
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:19 pm

Australians Question U.S. Reassurance After Navy Jettisons Bombs on Great Barrier Reef
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/23/world ... world&_r=0
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BigMcK on Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:46 pm

Let free market save health care

"Government always seems to think it best knows how to run the lives of its citizens, but the marketplace consistently comes up with more efficient, less expensive responses to our needs than our elected and appointed officials. So it’s no surprise that in the realm of health care, against the backdrop of the junkyard blaze that is ObamaCare, some free-market thinking has proved extremely successful."

http://www.reviewjournal.com/opinion/editorials/let-free-market-save-health-care
BigMcK
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Drawing 1 line in the sand, followed by another, and another, and another. TIC TAC TOE

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:47 pm

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:59 pm

columbia wrote:Australians Question U.S. Reassurance After Navy Jettisons Bombs on Great Barrier Reef
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/23/world ... world&_r=0

I call BS on the story; the Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6) is an amphibious assault ship that happens to carry planes. It is not an 'aircraft carrier'.

Spoiler:
I like planes.
:P

BigMcK wrote:Let free market save health care

"Government always seems to think it best knows how to run the lives of its citizens, but the marketplace consistently comes up with more efficient, less expensive responses to our needs than our elected and appointed officials. So it’s no surprise that in the realm of health care, against the backdrop of the junkyard blaze that is ObamaCare, some free-market thinking has proved extremely successful."

http://www.reviewjournal.com/opinion/editorials/let-free-market-save-health-care

I think you quoted the wrong part of the article there....

"By not dealing with insurance, the center’s cost savings are so significant — it doesn’t need staff to handle all the reimbursement issues — that patients are flocking to the Surgery Center of Oklahoma."

By not dealing with insurance. Hmm.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby GaryRissling on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:16 pm

For me, this story is far more disturbing than, say, the story of the woman who was jailed for reporting rape in Dubai as the policies of the UAE government will have no effect on my life. That my government is allegedly imprisoning journalists and political dissidents [while waging wars which nominally are supposed to be in protection of the principles for free speech/press/privacy, etc], however, is an issue for me.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ju ... e-released
The charges against Shaye provoked an outcry among tribal leaders, human-rights activists and fellow journalists. Bowing to the pressure, then-president Ali Abdullah Saleh pardoned Shaye weeks after his sentencing. But in a February 2011 phone call with Saleh, President Barack Obama "expressed his concern over the release" of Shaye. The pardon was revoked.

GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GaryRissling on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:38 pm

Spencer Ackerman ‏@attackerman 32m
Panic on the streets of Washington, panic on the streets of surveillancestan

Pending in the House is an amendment to a defense spending bill, written by Republican Rep. Justin Amash of Michigan. It would end "authority for blanket collections under the Patriot Act," according to an official summary of the measure and it would bar the collection of telephone records for people "who are not subject to an investigation."
While it's not clear whether the amendment has enough votes to pass, the rapid response from top intelligence officials was evidence of the administration's deep concerns about opposition to the program.
The White House issued a statement Tuesday evening, saying that it opposes the amendment and urges the House to reject it.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/23/politics/ ... ?hpt=po_c2
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shoeshine boy on Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:44 am

is Anthony Weiner possibly the dumbest politician of all-time? discuss.
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 ... ?hpt=hp_t1

also, his wife needs to accept that he's just not that into her and move on.
prediction: NYC elects him mayor because they do sh*t like that. :scared:
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:55 am

shoeshine boy wrote:is Anthony Weiner possibly the dumbest politician of all-time? discuss.

Yes.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:15 am

Water is a public good, not a commodity. We invite the European Commission to propose legislation implementing the human right to water and sanitation as recognised by the United Nations, and promoting the provision of water and sanitation as essential public services for all. The EU legislation should require governments to ensure and to provide all citizens with sufficient and clean drinking water and sanitation.

http://www.right2water.eu/
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:16 am

shoeshine boy wrote: NYC elects him mayor because they do sh*t like that. :scared:

It wouldn't be the first time that voters have overlooked bad behavior when voting for / supporting a mayor.

Marion Berry and Buddy Cianci

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Cianci

Notably, (Cianci) was forced to resign from office twice due to felony convictions. His first administration ended in 1984 when he pleaded guilty to assault. His second stint as mayor ended when he was forced to resign following his conviction for racketeering conspiracy (running a corrupt criminal enterprise), and he served four years in federal prison.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marion_Barry

His celebrity transformed into international notoriety in January 1990, when Barry was videotaped smoking crack cocaine and arrested by FBI officials on drug charges. The arrest and subsequent trial precluded Barry seeking re-election, and Barry served six months in a federal prison. After his release, however, he was elected to the D.C. city council in 1992 and ultimately returned to the mayoralty in 1994, serving from 1995 to 1999.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:17 am

You can also add Mr. Appalachian Trail to that (general) list.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:26 am

In addition to bearing a strong resemblance to a former boss of mine, Anthony Wiener is a complete tool. Just an utter moron.

I think Eliot Spitzer is an intelligent and thoughtful public servant, but his transgressions were of a far more serious nature than Wiener's. I mean, what he did was actually illegal, what Wiener did/does is just appallingly stupid.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:52 am

tifosi77 wrote: Anthony Wiener is a complete tool.

That's about the most appropriate, yet succinct description of the man that I've ever read! :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR