LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:58 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:If anyone has the chance, Google the story about Bush 41 shaving his head in solidarity with the two year old son of one of his Secret Service detail that is battling leukemia. The picture is awesome.

I gather all the members of the Detail shaved their heads, as well.

Always liked 41. :thumb:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:11 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:If anyone has the chance, Google the story about Bush 41 shaving his head in solidarity with the two year old son of one of his Secret Service detail that is battling leukemia. The picture is awesome.

"Read my lips"... after all the ensuing screwed up administrations, I still can't believe such a simple utterance played such a large role in his losing the election.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby columbia on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:38 pm

Gaucho wrote:Video of train crash in Northern Spain. Fair warning: not pleasant to watch.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2013/jul/25/santiago-de-compostela-train-crash-cctv-video

:shock:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:50 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:

"Read my lips"... after all the ensuing screwed up administrations, I still can't believe such a simple utterance played such a large role in his losing the election.

That's the GOP for ya.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:34 pm

Factorial wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:

That's the GOP for ya.

What are you implying? That only republicans voted in the general election?

This makes no sense.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Factorial on Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:49 pm

My point was enough of the GOP was so upset about him backing out of his no new taxes pledge that they went with Perot and handed Bubba the election. And to this day, the absolute refusal to raise taxes by the GOP stems from this.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Hockeynut! on Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:38 pm

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/0 ... last-wish/
John Arthur is dying. He is in the terminal stages of Lou Gehrig’s disease and has entered hospice care. Arthur is also gay, and in a 20 year relationship with a man named Jim Obergefell. Because the couple’s home state of Ohio will not allow them to marry, Arthur and Obergefell recently flew to Maryland together and were legally married on the tarmac — just weeks after the Supreme Court’s landmark marriage equality decision in United States v. Windsor. Arthur was unable to rise from his hospice bed.
In his final days, Arthur wants to honor his commitment to his husband. He wants his own death certificate to list Obergefell as his “surviving spouse.” And he wants to die knowing that his partner of 20 years can someday be buried next to him in a family plot bound by a directive that only permits his lawfully wedded spouse to be interred alongside him. And, on Monday, a federal judge ruled that Arthur should indeed have the dignity of dying alongside a man that Ohio will recognize as his husband.
And now, Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine (R) wants to take that dignity away from Mr. Arthur. The day after a judge issued a temporary restraining order requiring Ohio to list Arthur’s husband as his “surviving spouse” on his death certificate, DeWine announced that he would appeal this decision and try to strip a dying man of his final wish.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:55 pm

Well, we have to protect family values n'at.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:58 pm

Factorial wrote:My point was enough of the GOP was so upset about him backing out of his no new taxes pledge that they went with Perot and handed Bubba the election. And to this day, the absolute refusal to raise taxes by the GOP stems from this.

I think that's more confirmation bias than an accurate reflection of voter's motives in 1992. Conservatives hate taxes, Bush broke a promise to not raise taxes, Bush lost, ergo Bush raising taxes cost him the election.

Was the Bush tax thing an issue? Certainly. But I wouldn't characterize it as the crystallizing factor. The tax reversal ranked no higher than third among a laundry list of influences when Clinton and Perot supporters responded to exit polls on the day. (#1 influence: the candidate's economic proposals) Interestingly, taxes also only ranked third among Bush voters (like me). And then there's the fact that Perot's economic plan called for raising taxes on the wealthy and the gas tax. So there's a bit of a disconnect there as well.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:29 am

Al-Qaeda hosts a family fair in Syria, complete with ice cream and jihad
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wor ... and-jihad/

<insert Omar Abdel-Rahman, pin the tail on the donkey joke here>
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:05 am

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:31 am

There is some misleading information in this article from a technical standpoint, but if the overall premise is true (that the Feds are asking for, and in some case receiving, user account passwords), we're in an entirely new world with respect to government intrusion on our personal privacy.

Even Factorial can't argue that this is a good thing.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57595 ... passwords/
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:54 pm

McCain hopes $1 coin leads to bigger tips for strippers

Congress passes the COINS Act replacing the $1 paper bill for a coin, the U.S. government may be able to save billions in printing costs at the expense of a little more jangle in the average consumers' pockets. But what about the strippers?

"Then I hope that they could obtain larger denominations," McCain reportedly told The Hill.

According to The Hill, the 76 year-old McCain started answering questions from another reporter before a smile spread across his face and he shouted down the hallway to The Hill, "Fives, tens, one hundreds!"

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 ... ?hpt=hp_t3
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:39 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:McCain hopes $1 coin leads to bigger tips for strippers

Congress passes the COINS Act replacing the $1 paper bill for a coin, the U.S. government may be able to save billions in printing costs at the expense of a little more jangle in the average consumers' pockets. But what about the strippers?

"Then I hope that they could obtain larger denominations," McCain reportedly told The Hill.

According to The Hill, the 76 year-old McCain started answering questions from another reporter before a smile spread across his face and he shouted down the hallway to The Hill, "Fives, tens, one hundreds!"

CNN : News :: ESPN : Sports
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:51 pm

Fair play.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shoeshine boy on Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:11 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/07/25/2354941/ohio-plans-unspeakably-cruel-appeal-of-dying-mans-last-wish/
John Arthur is dying. He is in the terminal stages of Lou Gehrig’s disease and has entered hospice care. Arthur is also gay, and in a 20 year relationship with a man named Jim Obergefell. Because the couple’s home state of Ohio will not allow them to marry, Arthur and Obergefell recently flew to Maryland together and were legally married on the tarmac — just weeks after the Supreme Court’s landmark marriage equality decision in United States v. Windsor. Arthur was unable to rise from his hospice bed.
In his final days, Arthur wants to honor his commitment to his husband. He wants his own death certificate to list Obergefell as his “surviving spouse.” And he wants to die knowing that his partner of 20 years can someday be buried next to him in a family plot bound by a directive that only permits his lawfully wedded spouse to be interred alongside him. And, on Monday, a federal judge ruled that Arthur should indeed have the dignity of dying alongside a man that Ohio will recognize as his husband.
And now, Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine (R) wants to take that dignity away from Mr. Arthur. The day after a judge issued a temporary restraining order requiring Ohio to list Arthur’s husband as his “surviving spouse” on his death certificate, DeWine announced that he would appeal this decision and try to strip a dying man of his final wish.

shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shyster on Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:14 pm

columbia wrote:Lincoln Memorial vandalized
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-575 ... andalized/

For the record, I was nowhere near Washington D.C. last night, and I can prove it.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shyster on Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:16 pm

Senator McCain is apparently forgetting that the $2 bill is still alive and well and in active circulation.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shoeshine boy on Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:57 pm

I thought all of the decent strippers moved the Canada already?
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:54 pm

Berkshire’s Charlie Munger: Energy independence is a bad idea
http://blogs.marketwatch.com/energy-tic ... -bad-idea/
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:05 pm

The fact that Anthony Weiner is still a major front runner in the NYC Democratic mayoral race says a lot about the sheer stupidity of that voter base.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:14 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:The fact that Anthony Weiner is still a major front runner in the NYC Democratic mayoral race says a lot about the sheer stupidity of that voter base.

+1
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:15 pm

He's not going to win.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:19 pm

columbia wrote:He's not going to win.

Have you seen the rest of the field? :scared:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:19 pm

On the subject of the militarization of police:

Lawsuit Alleges That Pittsburgh SWAT Team Engaged in Gang-Style Retaliation
http://reason.com/blog/2013/07/26/lawsu ... h-swat-tea

The complaint for the lawsuit:
http://www.courthousenews.com/2013/07/2 ... plaint.pdf
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NHR