LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby GaryRissling on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:40 pm

columbia wrote:Google Pressure Cookers and Backpacks, Get a Visit from the Feds
http://news.yahoo.com/google-pressure-c ... 00667.html

:scared:

Sorry, didn't see that you posted that.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:40 pm

But the NSA did.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:08 pm

columbia wrote:Google Pressure Cookers and Backpacks, Get a Visit from the Feds
http://news.yahoo.com/google-pressure-c ... 00667.html

:scared:

Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... you guys are all paranoid. Our Government would NEVER do something like that.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:37 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nathan-j-winograd/peta-kills-puppies-kittens_b_2979220.html

This article surfaced on Reddit the other day, but actually came out in April. I found it to be an utterly disturbing read, and I warn you of the same. It really exposes the truth behind PETA, which I would suspect the vast majority of Americans have no idea about.

I understand euthanizing animals is a sad side effect of our nation's irresponsibility with our critters, but they seem to slaughter domestic animals with an almost sadistic glee.

To be fair, here's their response:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ingrid-ne ... 36311.html

To many "no kill" shelters are on a crusade that can't be won. Shelters simply have to euthanize healthy animals because they run out of room. At that point, it's either euthanize the animals that have been there and are not getting adopted, or stop taking in new animals. If they refuse to take in new animals, those animals will be left to run wild where they will either quickly die, or live and continue to breed, perpetuating the overpopulation problem. The average "feral" cat survived 2 to 3 years in the wild and, in that time, can easily have 50+ kittens. If people took care of their animals, this problem could be greatly curtailed.

There is nothing that Ingrid Newkirk says that I can accept as valid. She's a raging hypocrite, known consort of domestic terrorist organizations and has - on the record - defended bestiality. I think she's such a staunch animal rights advocate (and I use that term ironically) because she herself is a troll.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:03 pm

http://thelead.blogs.cnn.com/2013/08/01/exclusive-dozens-of-cia-operatives-on-the-ground-during-benghazi-attack/

Since January, some CIA operatives involved in the agency's missions in Libya, have been subjected to frequent, even monthly polygraph examinations, according to a source with deep inside knowledge of the agency's workings.

The goal of the questioning, according to sources, is to find out if anyone is talking to the media or Congress.

It is being described as pure intimidation, with the threat that any unauthorized CIA employee who leaks information could face the end of his or her career.

In exclusive communications obtained by CNN, one insider writes, "You don't jeopardize yourself, you jeopardize your family as well."

Another says, "You have no idea the amount of pressure being brought to bear on anyone with knowledge of this operation."

"Agency employees typically are polygraphed every three to four years. Never more than that," said former CIA operative and CNN analyst Robert Baer.

In other words, the rate of the kind of polygraphs alleged by sources is rare.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:08 pm

I wish I grew up in the 50s where nuclear attacks and the draft of the 60s were my biggest issues.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:11 pm

Rylan wrote:I wish I grew up in the 50s where nuclear attacks and the draft of the 60s were my biggest issues.

I did, and you're right, it wasn't too bad. Best thing about it was no social media.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Factorial on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:48 pm

We should feel sorry for CIA employees now?
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:15 am

How Google searches for 'pressure cookers' and 'backpacks' led the cops to a writer's door

The Suffolk County Police Department verified as much later that evening, emailing a statement to reporters confirming that its officers had indeed visited the home. But they said they did so not from some automated surveillance system, nor Google, but rather due to a "tip from a Bay Shore based computer company regarding suspicious computer searches conducted by a recently released employee." As the statement continues:

The former employee’s computer searches took place on this employee’s workplace computer. On that computer, the employee searched the terms "pressure cooker bombs" and "backpacks." After interviewing the company representatives, Suffolk County Police Detectives visited the subject’s home to ask about the suspicious internet searches. The incident was investigated by Suffolk County Police Department’s Criminal Intelligence Detectives and was determined to be non-criminal in nature.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/1/458065 ... bomb-scare
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:05 pm

columbia wrote:How Google searches for 'pressure cookers' and 'backpacks' led the cops to a writer's door

The Suffolk County Police Department verified as much later that evening, emailing a statement to reporters confirming that its officers had indeed visited the home. But they said they did so not from some automated surveillance system, nor Google, but rather due to a "tip from a Bay Shore based computer company regarding suspicious computer searches conducted by a recently released employee." As the statement continues:

The former employee’s computer searches took place on this employee’s workplace computer. On that computer, the employee searched the terms "pressure cooker bombs" and "backpacks." After interviewing the company representatives, Suffolk County Police Detectives visited the subject’s home to ask about the suspicious internet searches. The incident was investigated by Suffolk County Police Department’s Criminal Intelligence Detectives and was determined to be non-criminal in nature.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/1/458065 ... bomb-scare

It was Suffolk county. LONG ISLAND.

Hmmmmmm, let's just say that particular unit doesn't have a reputation for honesty when it comes to their press releases.
I actually had some involvement with them two three years ago on a different cyber crime case.
June 19, 2011 we identified a minor from Suffolk County as claiming to be part of anonymous and stealing credit card data from two of the three major credit card companies.
The Suffolk county police actually lied in the press release about there involvement with a federal law enforcement agency over the matter.

So, I don;t trust anything out of that office.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Factorial on Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:19 am

They're covering for the Feds? Can you imagine the man-power required to visit every house that has "suspicious" google searches.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:25 am

Teju Cole ‏@tejucole 7m
Spy on one person and you're a creep. Spy on a dozen and you're a criminal. Spy on everyone and you're the greatest of patriots.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:21 pm

Exclusive: U.S. directs agents to cover up program used to investigate Americans
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/ ... 9R20130805
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:37 pm

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kaizer on Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:40 pm

columbia wrote:Exclusive: U.S. directs agents to cover up program used to investigate Americans
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/ ... 9R20130805

finally pushing their luck on what they can get away with. of course, that means they might be even more inclined to use brute force later.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shyster on Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:02 pm

The New Yorker has a nice article on the blatant highway piracy represented by civil asset forfeiture:
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013 ... ntPage=all

Edit: To tie in to that Reuters article on the intentional obfuscation of the source of information being used by law enforcement, note that one of the case studies in this article—the seizure of Shamoon Yousif’s home, car, grocery stores, bank accounts, and personal property—came after information was received from the “Arizona Counter Terrorism Information Center.” I wonder if any of that info was “recreated” from warrantless spying?
Last edited by Shyster on Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:04 pm

I don't see how a binding agreement concerning a minor child can be legally enforceable on that child once they reach the age of majority.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kaizer on Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:06 pm

1. frack
2. profit
3. buy silence
4. i'm assuming they get their money back or something if the kids talk, so profit again
5. frack
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:09 pm

Frack you
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:17 am

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/05/world/yemen-us-drone-strike/index.html

A pair of suspected U.S. drone strikes killed four al Qaeda militants in Yemen as the United States maintained a heightened security alert in the country and urged all Americans to leave immediately.

Security sources told CNN about the strikes but didn't offer additional details. A Yemeni official said four drone strikes have been carried out in the past 10 days.

None of those killed on Tuesday were among the 25 names on the country's most-wanted list, security officials said.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:30 am

That gag-order story is why I love being in the oil and gas business.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:42 pm

Is it just me or does this "biggest terror threat since 9/11" talk right on the heels of the NSA/Snowden shenanigans seem awfully reminiscent of the "threat rainbow" alerts during the 2004 election cycle?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:49 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Is it just me or does this "biggest terror threat since 9/11" talk right on the heels of the NSA/Snowden shenanigans seem awfully reminiscent of the "threat rainbow" alerts during the 2004 election cycle?

It's not just you. Also, it's interesting that the threat is also confined to Mid-East and North African Embassy's. Not trying to compensate for Benghazi or anything are they?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:03 pm

Saxby Chambliss is on the conspiracy too....

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la ... 7477.story
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:11 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:Is it just me or does this "biggest terror threat since 9/11" talk right on the heels of the NSA/Snowden shenanigans seem awfully reminiscent of the "threat rainbow" alerts during the 2004 election cycle?

It's not just you. Also, it's interesting that the threat is also confined to Mid-East and North African Embassy's. Not trying to compensate for Benghazi or anything are they?

Shocking that virtually no news org's are drawing that conclusion... unless they are asked nicely not to do so... leaky punks.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

PreviousNext

Return to NHR