LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:50 pm

MWB wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

That's a single ANTIMATED character (not even a featured one) on an existing show. Again, quit different from an entire show dedicated to lampooning the POTUS like "That's my Bush"

You asserted that Matt and Trey wouldn't dare do a show about Obama because they'd be called racist. I pointed out that they have done a show that is satirical of Obama. No, it's not a show strictly dedicated to him, but it clearly shows that they don't shy away from him. I don't know why it matters that the show is animated. Everyone knows it is Obama, whether it's animated or not. The subject is still the same. All the other shows that do political satire have not shied away from Obama either.

I've watched those (four?) episodes in which the Obama character appears... the great majority of the appearances in those episodes are lampooning Obama supporters (Randy Marsh?), there really aren't any jokes about Obama himself. Unless "General Tso's Chicken!" or "We'll name the puppy Sparkles" are to be considered satire on Obama.

In fact, he's probably one the few characters that have appeared in SP that hasn't been generally made fun of.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Pitt87 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:14 pm

Pucks_and_Pols wrote:
Shyster wrote:
Mike Godwin wrote:As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1.

‘Bush / Hitler’: google results: 25,500,000
‘Obama / Hitler’: google results: 53,400,000
‘Reagan / Hitler’: google results: 5,540,000
‘Clinton / Hitler’ google results: 10,300,000

Not surprising. Obama is the president now, and web content has grown exponentially over the last 5 years.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:56 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Tif you normally express yourself better than that. You're all over the place there. First you say the clown was racist. I think the lip fumbling probably qualifies as racist, but clown masks of presidents are nothing new, why should this President get a pass? (I'm not find of the masks myself, but the existence of an O AMA version is t racist in and of itself.) Secondly, you try and dismiss my comment by comparing it to someone with no credibility. You can do better than that (you sound like Joe Biden :) ) and then you seguway into forgeign dictators as though that has anything to do with our discussion.

Doesn't look like anyone else had a hard time discerning my point, or else they simply chose not to respond to it... which makes me sad. :(

Spoiler:
:wink:

The clown wearing an Obama mask was not, imo, racist. I don't follow the line of thought that it represents 'blackface'; he's portraying a specific character, not a generalized Everyman, so it makes sense that the clown was wearing a mask in the same way that others have worn Bush and Clinton masks. The mask itself wasn't the issue, nor do I think the clown wearing the mask was the person who should be getting in trouble. The other nitwits at the rodeo, however....

The only people who have any real relevance to the critique of double standards for behavior inviting a negative response are the posters here who chide those like Gary Rissling and myself as somehow defending terrorists because we think there might be something akin to 'contributory negligence' in U.S. policies. I brought up Rush because I had just heard him make the comment about Obama on late night talk shows earlier in the day, and I found it interesting that you made essentially the same point vis-a-vis partisan rhetoric. I wonder how El Rushbo feels about people who say that U.S. policies might have been a motivation for 9/11 as opposed to 'our freedoms'. The fact that you (and I) don't think he has any credibility doesn't mean there aren't millions of people who do find him quite credible and an authority figure in discussions of this nature.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:14 pm

And in F-35 news.....

F’d: How the U.S. and Its Allies Got Stuck with the World’s Worst New Warplane
Sprey warned it could take years of expensive experimentation and a steep learning curve for American aerospace engineers to relearn the principles of sound fighter design that have been lost during the F-35's emerging monopoly — and that the only way to get there is to fund a series of inexpensive head-to-head competitions based on head-to-head mock dogfights between rival prototypes.

But that investment of time, talent and cost would be better than continuing with an over-budget, past-due warplane that can’t turn, can’t climb and can’t run because it’s hauling around a lift fan that makes Marines feel better about World War II but isn't actually practical in the present day.

Replacing America’s useless, universal fighter would be a headache, according to Wheeler, but keeping it would be far worse. The F-35, he wrote, “will needlessly spill the blood of far too many of our pilots.”

Article gives a pretty accurate timeline of the F-35 Turdbucket's development going all the way back to Guadalcanal.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:29 pm

tifosi77 wrote:And in F-35 news.....

F’d: How the U.S. and Its Allies Got Stuck with the World’s Worst New Warplane
Sprey warned it could take years of expensive experimentation and a steep learning curve for American aerospace engineers to relearn the principles of sound fighter design that have been lost during the F-35's emerging monopoly — and that the only way to get there is to fund a series of inexpensive head-to-head competitions based on head-to-head mock dogfights between rival prototypes.

But that investment of time, talent and cost would be better than continuing with an over-budget, past-due warplane that can’t turn, can’t climb and can’t run because it’s hauling around a lift fan that makes Marines feel better about World War II but isn't actually practical in the present day.

Replacing America’s useless, universal fighter would be a headache, according to Wheeler, but keeping it would be far worse. The F-35, he wrote, “will needlessly spill the blood of far too many of our pilots.”

Article gives a pretty accurate timeline of the F-35 Turdbucket's development going all the way back to Guadalcanal.

"We Never Forget Who We're Working For" :lol:
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:13 pm

I have to agree with her: I've been afraid of white guys in suits most of my life....

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-a ... a-williams
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:35 am

Michael Grunwald, Time Magazine Reporter, Sends Out Shocking Tweet About Julian Assange

A TIME magazine reporter caused ire on Twitter Saturday night when he said that he "can't wait to write a defense of the drone strike that takes out" Wikileaks founder Julian Assange.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/1 ... 73981.html

:scared:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:05 pm

http://www.equality-of-opportunity.org/

PGH ranked 6th among large cities for upward mobility.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tjand72 on Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:23 pm

I wonder why the southeast seems to have such a negative trend.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:08 pm

Is WikiLeaks bluffing, or did it really just post all its secrets to Facebook?
http://www.dailydot.com/politics/wikile ... encrypted/

It should be noted that the files are encrypted and they have not provided the key.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:11 pm

columbia wrote:Is WikiLeaks bluffing, or did it really just post all its secrets to Facebook?
http://www.dailydot.com/politics/wikile ... encrypted/

It should be noted that the files are encrypted and they have not provided the key.

I'm on my mobile so I can't easily check but depending on the type of encryption (DES vs. AES) , and the length of the key, it may not be all that tough to crack.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby columbia on Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:24 pm

256 AES.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:31 pm

columbia wrote:256 AES.

AES is tougher than DES but a 256 key is better than 512.

Someone will have it in about four weeks. (But the NSA probably already has it - and I'm being serious)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:09 pm

Glenn Greenwald's partner detained at Heathrow airport for nine hours
The 28-year-old was held for nine hours, the maximum the law allows before officers must release or formally arrest the individual. According to official figures, most examinations under schedule 7 – over 97% – last under an hour, and only one in 2,000 people detained are kept for more than six hours.

Seems a mighty odd coincidence.

I wonder what Michael Hastings' family might have to say about this.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby GaryRissling on Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:48 pm

http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2013/08/ ... ald-right/

More to the point, although David was released, his entire digital library was confiscated – including his laptop and phone. So any journalist passing through London’s Heathrow has now been warned: do not take any documents with you. Britain is now a police state when it comes to journalists, just like Russia is.

In this respect, I can say this to David Cameron. Thank you for clearing the air on these matters of surveillance. You have now demonstrated beyond any reasonable doubt that these anti-terror provisions are capable of rank abuse. Unless some other facts emerge, there is really no difference in kind between you and Vladimir Putin. You have used police powers granted for anti-terrorism and deployed them to target and intimidate journalists deemed enemies of the state.

You have proven that these laws can be hideously abused. Which means they must be repealed. You have broken the trust that enables any such legislation to survive in a democracy. By so doing, you have attacked British democracy itself. What on earth do you have to say for yourself? And were you, in any way, encouraged by the US administration to do such a thing?
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GaryRissling on Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:50 pm

From the Brazilian Ministry of the Exterior:
http://www.itamaraty.gov.br/sala-de-imp ... em-londres

Brazilian citizen held in London

The Brazilian government expresses grave concern about the episode that happened today in London, where a Brazilian citizen was held without communication at Heathrow airport for 9 hours, in an action based in the British anti-terrorism legislation. This measure is without justification since it involves an individual against whom there are no charges that can legitimate the use of that legislation. The Brazilian Government expects that incidents such as the one that happened to the Brazilian citizen today do not repeat.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:10 pm

This last decade has seen the rise of the power of the nation state and the erosion of personal liberties.

Plot this trend on a graph and tell us where we'll be in ten years.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:32 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:This last decade has seen the rise of the power of the nation state and the erosion of personal liberties.

I would argue that never before in history have there been so many named individuals categorized as potential enemies of a state. Leaders of democratic states are ever more willing to transgress on core principles to maintain the market shares of their big contributors.

On a different but related note, I think it's vitally important to attach a real definition to the word "terrorism", as it is always that particular word which is trumpeted out to justify anything the government wants to do. It's always been my thought that terrorism is when a violent, geopolitically motivated attack is intentionally perpetrated on a civilian target. It's a strategy. Jihadists who are flying in to Yemen and Somalia may be bad, bad, evil, terrible people who may be worth fighting; but they are not - by and large - actually engaging in the strategy of terrorism. Throwing around that word carelessly is a threat to our civil liberties, as we see today with the detention of a man who is clearly not a terrorist which happened in part because of how broad of a definition we apply to the word.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Factorial on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:12 am

Rafael "Ted" Cruz releases his birth certificate.

Hmmm, that font face looks like one that was only used in Havana in the early 1970's. Castro mole? And where is the long-form version?

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics ... s-u.s..ece
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:29 pm

NJ governor signs ban on gay conversion therapy
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... 9-06-47-21

That will certainly endear him to the GOP faithful. :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:36 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:This last decade has seen the rise of the power of the nation state and the erosion of personal liberties.

East Germany?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:29 pm

GaryRissling wrote:On a different but related note, I think it's vitally important to attach a real definition to the word "terrorism", as it is always that particular word which is trumpeted out to justify anything the government wants to do. It's always been my thought that terrorism is when a violent, geopolitically motivated attack is intentionally perpetrated on a civilian target. It's a strategy. Jihadists who are flying in to Yemen and Somalia may be bad, bad, evil, terrible people who may be worth fighting; but they are not - by and large - actually engaging in the strategy of terrorism. Throwing around that word carelessly is a threat to our civil liberties, as we see today with the detention of a man who is clearly not a terrorist which happened in part because of how broad of a definition we apply to the word.

Terrorism is a statist’s dream come true. War has always been used by statists of all stripes to increase the power and scope of government, but the big problem with at is that wars eventually end, and when the war ends the people try to get their liberties back—usually getting some, but not all, of what they had before. But the “war on terrorism” has no defined enemies, no clear definitions of win or loss, no clear targets or goals. It permits the government to claim perpetual crisis and serves as a ready excuse for any sort of abuse or infringement of liberties. It also permits the government to target anyone it likes, claim there are enemies everywhere (whether real or phantasmal), and target practically anyone as a perceived “enemy” or “supporter” of terrorism.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby redwill on Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:41 pm

RE: terrorism.

Back when I was in grad school, I vaguely remember reading about the Soviet Union's alleged response to terrorism perpetrated against its agents in Lebanon in the early '80s. The response was harsh. It involved capturing terrorists' family members, chopping them up into little pieces, and mailing the pieces back to the terrorists.

Sort of like the People's Front of Judea's plan for Pilate's wife in Life of Brian.

I remember that there was a quote from Adolf Hitler: "The only answer to terror is terror."

Maybe it was all a joke.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:56 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/08/19/obama-administration-asks-supreme-court-to-allow-warrantless-cellphone-searches/?print=1

If the police arrest you, do they need a warrant to rifle through your cellphone? Courts have been split on the question. Last week the Obama administration asked the Supreme Court to resolve the issue and rule that the Fourth Amendment allows warrantless cellphone searches.

shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Grunthy on Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:01 pm

columbia wrote:NJ governor signs ban on gay conversion therapy
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... 9-06-47-21

That will certainly endear him to the GOP faithful. :pop:

Just because someone supports the GOP doesn't mean they hate gay rights.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NHR