LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:44 pm

I don't get it.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:55 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:From the article:

Janczewski said they’re being targeted because they want the six teachers and a board member who sat with the pedophile’s family in court fired.

Personally I wouldn't want a teacher who supports a child rapist working in a school either...

my wife knows a teacher who was wrongfully accused of molestation, and later cleared of all charges. it was a flimsy load of bullspit that almost ruined his life. he needed the support from his friends and colleagues to emotionally get him through the trial. so i can't necessarily blame them for that. but the rest...yeah - bunch of scumbags
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MWB on Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:59 pm

Since he admitted to it, I don't really see how his colleagues can write letters in his defense. Even though the letters were just to reference the good he did and not defend the rape, it's poor judgement at the very best. I get supporting his family and being there for them, but not trying to help him out.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:03 pm

MWB wrote:Since he admitted to it, I don't really see how his colleagues can write letters in his defense. Even though the letters were just to reference the good he did and not defend the rape, it's poor judgement at the very best. I get supporting his family and being there for them, but not trying to help him out.

i didn't read that bit about his admission.

welp - nevermind. they can all rot
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:18 pm

NRA Hates Keeping Lists of Gun Owners, Except for Its Own Secret Database
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... abase.html

Not only do members of the NRA know who to rob, because the potential victims don't have guns (as has been argued here), they know who to rob, in case they want to acquire more guns.
It seems like a bad idea.
Last edited by columbia on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:59 pm

Nah, the NSA doesn't collect private email.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/ ... 4Y20130822
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:36 am

I find it a bit funny that the WH spokesman hadn't even heard of the Christopher Lane murder until it was brought up to him at a press conference yesterday. My oh my, how times have changed.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:46 am

Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:51 am

Someone needs to teach him how to properly put makeup on, for crying out loud. Heck, even I could do a better job than that.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:57 am

You'd think that there would be a Wikipedia page for that.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:13 am

It's awesome that there's been much more time and attention here devoted to the ramifications of the actions of rodeo clowns in Missouri than to the Manning trail and sentencing. Until now, of course.

It's amazing who we choose to imprisrison in this country and who we don't.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Factorial on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:35 am

shafnutz05 wrote:I find it a bit funny that the WH spokesman hadn't even heard of the Christopher Lane murder until it was brought up to him at a press conference yesterday. My oh my, how times have changed.

I find it a bit funny that you are trying to equate this random act of murder to a anything else.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Factorial on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:37 am

GaryRissling wrote:It's awesome that there's been much more time and attention here devoted to the ramifications of the actions of rodeo clowns in Missouri than to the Manning trail and sentencing. Until now, of course.

It's amazing who we choose to imprisrison in this country and who we don't.

So, any person in the military should be free to to break the rules with impunity?
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby GaryRissling on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:43 am

I'm not the most ardent Manning defender, but few would argue that his treatment for the past 1000+ days has been anything less than atrocious and vastly disproportionate to his actions.

Yet John Yoo, dick Cheney, Hayden and the rest are all free to write books and hit the Sunday talk show circuit.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:56 am

Factorial wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:I find it a bit funny that the WH spokesman hadn't even heard of the Christopher Lane murder until it was brought up to him at a press conference yesterday. My oh my, how times have changed.

I find it a bit funny that you are trying to equate this random act of murder to a anything else.

Well, things like this do happen 100x more often than what happened to Trayvon, but that was a big enough deal that it warranted POTUS speaking multiple times about it.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:00 am

Factorial wrote:So, any person in the military should be free to to break the rules with impunity?

Over the last 15 years, who would you say posed the greater threat to national security.... pardon....... National Security in this country:

Bradly Manning

Dick Cheney

Keeping in mind, of course, that only one can unequivocally be shown to have gotten thousands of Americans and untold tens of thousands of foreign nationals killed or maimed. And it's not the tranny.

I think that's the frustration that's being expressed. It certainly is on my part, at least.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby GaryRissling on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:10 am

Exactly.

John Cusack posted a great Malcolm X quote yesterday:

If you're not careful newspapers will get you hate the oppressed and love the oppressor.

--

We cheer and laugh as our civil liberties are being obliterated.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Factorial on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:15 am

tifosi77 wrote:
Factorial wrote:So, any person in the military should be free to to break the rules with impunity?

Over the last 15 years, who would you say posed the greater threat to national security.... pardon....... National Security in this country:

Bradly Manning

Dick Cheney

Keeping in mind, of course, that only one can unequivocally be shown to have gotten thousands of Americans and untold tens of thousands of foreign nationals killed or maimed. And it's not the tranny.

I think that's the frustration that's being expressed. It certainly is on my part, at least.

They both deserve to be punished but it's not an either or situation.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:18 am

tifosi77 wrote:

Bradly Manning

Dick Cheney

As Factorial already pointed out, not really a fair question.

However, when you consider the 'punishment' and compare them on that basis, yeah, it's kind of striking.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:21 am

Factorial wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:

Bradly Manning

Dick Cheney

They both deserve to be punished but it's not an either or situation.

Apparently it is, because only one of them has been or ever will be made to answer for their actions.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby GaryRissling on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:29 am

What an absurd thing to say in an era when big banks can launder money for drug cartels and AQ, commit mortgage fraud thousands of times over, manipulate libor rates and no one goes to prison; the government can violate every constitutional amendment, kill people without having to provide evidence of crimes, and start wars- and no one goes to prison. Only the unprotected citizens are accountable for anything.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:30 am

Well, I didn't vote for em.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:03 am

GSdrums87 wrote:Well, I didn't vote for em.

:face:

Every time you give up personal freedoms, you give it to government as a whole.

This is what I was trying to tell Factorial when the NSA story first broke.

Sure maybe he trusts the current administration not to abuse the power (I don't, but just for example), but what about the next administration? What if the next administration is Santorum/Bachman and they want to use Prism to look into social issues?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:08 am

I'm subscribed to the ideology that nothing will change until there's a total overhaul. One charismatic candidate can do a lot to get the wheels moving if elected, but it'll require quite the wakeup call for the American citizens to do anything about it (i.e. a huge detriment to their very comfortable lives). Apparently even being shown how their personal freedoms have been and are being taken away in the past decade isn't enough. How anyone can still be subscribed as either a Democrat or a Republican is insanity in my eyes, by it's dictionary definition. I understand the "work with what we have in place" mindset and "better to vote for the lesser evil." Well, I refuse to vote for evil. Ever.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR