LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby Shyster on Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:20 pm

Every time Obama or anyone else from the administration speaks on the topic of a strike on Syria, they keep mention how teeny, tiny, itty, bittly it will be. No troops! Nobody on the ground! Extremely limited!

If it's going to be that small, I propose we mail Mr. Assad a letter that says, in very large letters, "BOOM." That should do it and save millions of dollars in expensive cruise missiles.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:26 pm

Good to see Obama is clairvoyant knowing that these limited strikes will be all it takes to send the message. No chance we ever get sucked into another quagmire.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Shyster on Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:25 am

The recall election of two Democratic Colorado state senators, which was solely based on their participation in ramming through gun-control legislation, finished tonight after a week of early voting. The president of the Colorado Senate just conceded defeat, and the second state senator subject to recall is currently trailing. Message for politicians: vote for gun control at your peril.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:32 am

Shyster wrote:The recall election of two Democratic Colorado state senators, which was solely based on their participation in ramming through gun-control legislation, finished tonight after a week of early voting. The president of the Colorado Senate just conceded defeat, and the second state senator subject to recall is currently trailing. Message for politicians: vote for gun control at your peril.

I think it's more vote for things the people who elected you overwhelmingly oppose at your own peril.

I don't think we will see any state legislature members recalled in MD, NJ or any other very liberal states. Colorado is a little bit different.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Geezer on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:42 am

Factorial wrote:
Geezer wrote:Obama painted himself in a corner with his saber rattling and erased red line. Putin gave him a face saving out with their/Kerry's proposal. In return Russia gets what it wants; Assad stays in power; Russia,Hezbollah and Iran heve their client state and there's a dragged out phony giving up of chemical weapons. The issue fades out of the public's attention and Barry moves back to his even-greater-society agenda of bankrupting the country. Nancy Pelosi was already celebrating what a great victory this is for Obama.
Reminicent of Catch 22 when a couple generals were going to court martial someone for a royal screw up but decided to give him a medal and declare him a hero instead to make themselves look better.

What does Mrs. Geezer think of this? She should get an account here.

She thinks he's a good president. She's also a huge Hilary fan which is why I never talk politics with my wife. What's kind of funny is I have no idea what my kids,daughters in law or son in law political views are although one son, my daughter and her husband are so non-political that I doubt they ever vote. I always told my kids to learn to think for themselves and didn't try to sway the. My mom and dad were die hard dems but never tried to indoctrinate me. I may be interested in this thread because I don't talk politics at work or with friends.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Geezer on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:47 am

Kaizer wrote:if i'm reading that right, John McCain wont be happy until the USA makes something in Syria explode.

We should send a platoon of our politicians; they could explode Syria's national debt in one working day.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:02 am

Geezer wrote:
Kaizer wrote:if i'm reading that right, John McCain wont be happy until the USA makes something in Syria explode.

We should send a platoon of our politicians; they could explode Syria's national debt in one working day.

:lol:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:57 am

http://www.mintpressnews.com/witnesses-of-gas-attack-say-saudis-supplied-rebels-with-chemical-weapons/168135/

However, from numerous interviews with doctors, Ghouta residents, rebel fighters and their families, a different picture emerges. Many believe that certain rebels received chemical weapons via the Saudi intelligence chief, Prince Bandar bin Sultan, and were responsible for carrying out the dealing gas attack.

“My son came to me two weeks ago asking what I thought the weapons were that he had been asked to carry,” said Abu Abdel-Moneim, the father of a rebel fighting to unseat Assad, who lives in Ghouta.

Abdel-Moneim said his son and 12 other rebels were killed inside of a tunnel used to store weapons provided by a Saudi militant, known as Abu Ayesha, who was leading a fighting battalion. The father described the weapons as having a “tube-like structure” while others were like a “huge gas bottle.”

Ghouta townspeople said the rebels were using mosques and private houses to sleep while storing their weapons in tunnels.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:46 pm

I pretty much don't care who kills who in the Middle East anymore and just want the US to stay the heck out of there.

The real interesting thing is what will happen if Obama loses the House vote when this Russia plan is surely exposed as a delay tactic.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Geezer on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:01 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/09/1 ... =obnetwork I'm sure NOW would like studies on what great dads eunichs would make
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:12 pm

shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:14 pm

The 9/11 rescue dogs: Portraits of the last surviving animals who scoured Ground Zero one decade on
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2ebpbWYdF
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:21 pm

columbia wrote:The 9/11 rescue dogs: Portraits of the last surviving animals who scoured Ground Zero one decade on

I am not really fazed by a lot of the stuff anymore, but oh man :cry:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:21 pm

Yep.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:33 pm

So, are we blowing anyone up this week?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:35 pm

There's dust all over my office...
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:36 pm

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/09/wall-street-journal-elizabeth-obagy-fired-96637.html

The Syria researcher whose Wall Street Journal op-piece was cited by Secretary of State John Kerry and Sen. John McCain during congressional hearings about the use of force has been fired from the Institute for the Study of War for lying about having a Ph.D., the group announced on Wednesday.

“The Institute for the Study of War has learned and confirmed that, contrary to her representations, Ms. Elizabeth O’Bagy does not in fact have a Ph.D. degree from Georgetown University,” the institute said in a statement. “ISW has accordingly terminated Ms. O’Bagy’s employment, effective immediately.”

:lol:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:46 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:I pretty much don't care who kills who in the Middle East anymore and just want the US to stay the heck out of there.

The real interesting thing is what will happen if Obama loses the House vote when this Russia plan is surely exposed as a delay tactic.

He would lose that vote. According to the most recent of the various "whip reports" I've seen on news sites, the no or leaning no votes are already a substantial majority in the House.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:56 pm

columbia wrote:The 9/11 rescue dogs: Portraits of the last surviving animals who scoured Ground Zero one decade on

SAR dogs are amazing animals. Think about what it must have been like for that first wild wolf to wander into a human camp and not attack anyone, and in turn what it must have been like for those first humans to have a wolf just sort of warming itself by the fire. (That's how I imagine it may have happened, anyway) 15,000 years on, dogs are an indispensable part of our existence.

:thumb:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:21 pm

On this 12th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, let us pause to reflect on what it means to

José Meléndez-Pérez was a Vietnam veteran who was working as a Customs inspector the arrivals desk at the airport in Orlando, FL. On August 4, 2001 he was presented with the travel documents of a man identifying himself as Mohammed al Qahtani, a Saudi national coming to the U.S. from Dubai. In addition to his documents being incorrectly filled out, Mr. al Qahtani had no return ticket and no hotel reservation, but he did have nearly $3,000 in cash. Unable to provide consistent answers to simple questions, and growing increasingly belligerent, Meléndez-Pérez recommended that al Qahtani be denied entry to the U.S. He was returned to Dubai and eventually made it back to Saudi Arabia.

But al Qahtani's story does not end there. Four months after being denied entry, he was taken prisoner in the Battle of Tora Bora. Some ten months after his capture, fingerprints identified as the man Meléndez-Pérez refused to allow entry in Orlando. Investigators began scouring surveillance tapes from the airport and were able to ID the car of Mohammad Atta, who was there to pick up al Qahtani.... the man who was supposed to be the 20th hijacker and one of the men charged with taking Flight 93. Who knows what would have happened had there been one more strongarm on that flight...

While in detention at Guantanamo Bay, al Qahtani was subjected to interrogation techniques that led the head of the U.S. Office of Military Commissions to drop all charges against al Qahtani, as his treatment met the legal definition of torture. (Charges which were later reinstated) But some of the information he divulged (it is disputed whether or not it was under duress) was the name of a person he believed to be bin Laden's personal courier. Even armed with a name, it took intelligence and military operatives another eight years to put that name to a real person.... who, it turns out, actually was bin Laden's courier. And as we all know, it was tracking this courier that ultimately led SEAL Team SIX to Abbottabad in May 2011. The courier was the only man in the compound that night who put up any armed resistance, and was the first person killed by the assault force.

All because José Meléndez-Pérez's bullsh1t detector fired off.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:22 pm

Commentary from Dave Kopel on last night's recall elections in Colorado:

http://www.volokh.com/2013/09/11/colora ... explained/

One of the two senators was recalled in a district where Democrats outnumber Republicans by 47% to 23%, and the incumbent's campaigns—using money from Michael Bloomberg's anti-gun Mayors Against Illegal Guns organization—outspent the pro-recall folks by an 8:1 margin.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:41 pm

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:06 pm

This is the first 9/11 since 2001 where I've spent part or all of the day in NYC.

And you know, it was very healing for me. Just another day. First 9/11 anniversary where I wasn't replaying the scene in my head.

12 years.... 12 long years.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby redwill on Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:37 pm

Geezer wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/09/10/men-with-smaller-testicles-predisposed-to-hands-on-parenting-study-suggests/?intcmp=obnetwork I'm sure NOW would like studies on what great dads eunichs would make

Reminds me of a joke:

Dumb guy to a eunuch: How many children do you have?

Eunuch: Duh, I'm a eunuch. I don't have any children.

Dumb guy: Oh ... So how many grandchildren do you have?

Hahahaha.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:23 pm

A Plea for Caution From Russia
By VLADIMIR V. PUTIN
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/12/opini ... inion&_r=0
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner