LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:47 pm

columbia wrote:France supports an attack in Syria.
I think that's about it.

Yes, France has indicated that they'll be part of a coalition. But there involvement would be extremely limited.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Kaizer on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:16 pm

instead of complete non intervention, i'd like to see us put out the kind of effort we had in Iraq in a few african countries that have nothing to offer us. what KBR managed to build for the troops during that occupation was stunning.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jf on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:12 pm

columbia wrote:2008 current value of $10,000 invested in January 1980:

Gold = $10,600
S&P 500 = $279,000

What if we invested the same amount in each in Jan. 2000 and sold it in Jan. 2011 ? Which increased the most in value ?
jf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:39 am

PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:21 pm

Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby DelPen on Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:48 pm

jf wrote:
columbia wrote:2008 current value of $10,000 invested in January 1980:

Gold = $10,600
S&P 500 = $279,000

What if we invested the same amount in each in Jan. 2000 and sold it in Jan. 2011 ? Which increased the most in value ?

Gold 1980: 559.50
S&P 1980: 105.22

Gold 2000: 282.05
S&P 2000: 1455.22

Gold Now: 1309.40
S&P Now: 1704.47

Pick your poison.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:39 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:

Good video. I've seen that guy do another similar rundown video recently, but I can't remember what it was.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:25 pm

Universal healthcare, please, thank you.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Grunthy on Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:02 pm

Uh that video was annoying. The first thing that needs to be done is tort reform throughout the united states, not just two states. Allow health insurers to sell in more than just one state to create competition. Reduce all the ridiculous paperwork and regulations that doctors have to jump through to treat a patient. Basically the less lawyer involvement the better.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Willie Kool on Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:46 pm

Grunthy wrote:Uh that video was annoying. The first thing that needs to be done is tort reform throughout the united states, not just two states.

So, you're saying if a doctor negligently kills you in the street, he should be held more responsible than if he kills you while negligently operating on you?

Grunthy wrote:Allow health insurers to sell in more than just one state to create competition.

That creates competition? Seems more likely that we would see one or two giant corporations eat up all the currently existing competition.

Grunthy wrote:Reduce all the ridiculous paperwork and regulations that doctors have to jump through to treat a patient.

Hell, we may as well let barbers perform surgery again.

Grunthy wrote:Basically the less lawyer involvement the better.

Sorry, the correct answer is: The less profit involvement, the better.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Can't you feel it, now that Spring has come? That it's time to live in the scattered sun.

Postby Gaucho on Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:52 pm

Willie Kool wrote:

:thumb:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:54 pm

I'd point that Jesus would probably be on board with that, but Grunthy would accuse me of bashing religion.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:56 pm

I don't claim to know the solution to the problems facing healthcare in the United States right now, but I am extraordinarily skeptical that universal, government-run healthcare is the answer to them.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Grunthy on Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:01 pm

columbia wrote:I'd point that Jesus would probably be on board with that, but Grunthy would accuse me of bashing religion.

At least I don't try to be cool on a message board all the time like you, because I actually have a life. :thumb:
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:01 pm

Much like Dianne Feinstein, Harry Reid is a pathetic piece of garbage. The nerve to blame the excessive rainfall in Colorado on "climate change" is hideous, disingenuous, and flat-out wrong. It would be the equivalent of pointing out that there have been ZERO hurricanes in the Atlantic basin in 2013 as a sign that climate change doesn't exist.

Between Dianne Feinstein calling for additional gun control (before the real facts came out, and before the corpses had achieved room temperature) and Harry Reid talking out his ass about something he knows nothing about, I'm fed up with the grandstanding.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/09/17/Reid-Blames-Colorado-Floods-On-Climate-Change
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:02 pm

Grunthy wrote:
columbia wrote:I'd point that Jesus would probably be on board with that, but Grunthy would accuse me of bashing religion.

At least I don't try to be cool on a message board all the time like you, because I actually have a life. :thumb:

You shouldn't rip on shad like that.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Grunthy on Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:02 pm

Willie Kool wrote:
Grunthy wrote:Uh that video was annoying. The first thing that needs to be done is tort reform throughout the united states, not just two states.

So, you're saying if a doctor negligently kills you in the street, he should be held more responsible than if he kills you while negligently operating on you?

Grunthy wrote:Allow health insurers to sell in more than just one state to create competition.

That creates competition? Seems more likely that we would see one or two giant corporations eat up all the currently existing competition.

Grunthy wrote:Reduce all the ridiculous paperwork and regulations that doctors have to jump through to treat a patient.

Hell, we may as well let barbers perform surgery again.

No the problem is more government. People didn't die in the streets in the 70s before all these **** up regulations, why would they now with all the advances?
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Willie Kool on Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:26 pm

Grunthy wrote:No the problem is more government. People didn't die in the streets in the 70s before all these **** up regulations, why would they now with all the advances?

What? I have no idea what you are even talking about.

My reference to someone dying in the street was in the context of a doctor acting negligently outside of the practice of medicine. As in - you are crossing the street, legally, in the crosswalk. A drunk doctor comes speeding through the intersection in his car and runs you down and maims or kills you. You or your survivors wouldn't be limited in the amount you could seek in a lawsuit. But with medical tort reform, if he comes in to the hospital drunk and kills you on the operating table, the damages would be limited. Negligence is negligence.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Can't you feel it, now that Spring has come? That it's time to live in the scattered sun.

Postby Willie Kool on Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:35 pm

Not to mention the fact that if left up to the private sector, there will never be another cure for anything. A cure doesn't make Drugs, Inc. enough money. Diseases will be 'managed' and 'controlled' by continuous treatment and / or a lifetime of drugs.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Grunthy on Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:36 pm

Willie Kool wrote:
Grunthy wrote:No the problem is more government. People didn't die in the streets in the 70s before all these **** up regulations, why would they now with all the advances?

My reference to someone dying in the street was in the context of a doctor acting negligently outside of the practice of medicine. As in - you are crossing the street, legally, in the crosswalk. A drunk doctor comes speeding through the intersection in his car and runs you down and maims or kills you. You or your survivors wouldn't be limited in the amount you could seek in a lawsuit. But with medical tort reform, if he comes in to the hospital drunk and kills you on the operating table, the damages would be limited. Negligence is negligence.

Yeah if that happens it wouldn't be malpractice...
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Grunthy on Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:42 pm

Willie Kool wrote:Not to mention the fact that if left up to the private sector, there will never be another cure for anything. A cure doesn't make Drugs, Inc. enough money. Diseases will be 'managed' and 'controlled' by continuous treatment and / or a lifetime of drugs.

What the hell are you talking about? If a Pharmaceutical company found out how to cure a certain cancer or disease they would damn sure release it. They would be forfeiting billions upon billions of dollars by not doing it. This whole argument that they hold them back indefinitely is utter ****. They might delay the release of drugs to let the other drugs mature, but they would never stop something like that.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MWB on Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:43 pm

If tort reform is one of the big answers, why would the results of what has happened in one of the states with tort reform not be very relevant? How would making it national change things?
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:43 pm

Willie Kool wrote:Not to mention the fact that if left up to the private sector, there will never be another cure for anything. A cure doesn't make Drugs, Inc. enough money. Diseases will be 'managed' and 'controlled' by continuous treatment and / or a lifetime of drugs.

This is where I have to wholeheartedly disagree with you. The synergy between the public and private sector is in the best interest of finding cures for all kinds of diseases. Eliminating the private sector would be a horrible idea.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Willie Kool on Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:43 pm

Grunthy wrote:
Willie Kool wrote:

OK, then what exactly would it be?
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Grunthy on Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:45 pm

Willie Kool wrote:
Grunthy wrote:
Willie Kool wrote:

OK, then what exactly would it be?

I'm pretty sure you could file a murder charge...
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NHR