LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Political Discussion Thread - Latest news at top

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:54 am

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/blum.asp

I am not ok with this...

The person who owns the company that is solely in charge of this multi-million-dollar transaction is Richard Blum, the husband of Senator Diane Feinstein
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:58 am

Crony Capitalism
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:18 am

PensFanInDC wrote:http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/blum.asp

I am not ok with this...

The person who owns the company that is solely in charge of this multi-million-dollar transaction is Richard Blum, the husband of Senator Diane Feinstein

But the guy from the SF Chronicle clearly talked to everyone, and the told him that its not bad, and what makes it even MORE ok is that Sen. Feinstein doesn't know how much money she makes from Blum Capital. See? Nothing to see here... :slug:
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby columbia on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:47 am

1 in 9 American Prisoners Has Been Sentenced to Die Behind Bars
http://www.theatlanticcities.com/politi ... bars/6944/
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:29 pm

The Pope is stirring the pot again....

Pope Bluntly Faults Church’s Focus on Gays and Abortion
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/20/world ... share&_r=0
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:39 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/09/18/remarks-president-business-roundtable

Now, this debt ceiling -- I just want to remind people in case you haven’t been keeping up -- raising the debt ceiling, which has been done over a hundred times, does not increase our debt; it does not somehow promote profligacy. All it does is it says you got to pay the bills that you’ve already racked up, Congress. It’s a basic function of making sure that the full faith and credit of the United States is preserved.

I would argue that the ease in which the debt ceiling is raised most certainly promotes profligacy, Mr. President.

The Executive Branch cannot spend a single dollar that is not appropriated to it by the Congress. The House of Representatives - where all spending bill must originate - has been in Republican control for something like 10 or 12 of the last 14 years.

Meanwhile, the deficit (as a share of GDP) is half what it was in 2009.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:43 pm

Traffic stop caught on camera causes controversy

At what point would a bystander (armed or otherwise) be legitimately able to conduct a citizen's arrest on the cop in question?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:47 pm

Speaking of idiot cops, have there been any recent updates on the LAPD getting those people new trucks, tif?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:49 pm

Meh, I'm going into the field of policing, and I am of the opinion all cops should wear cameras.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:51 pm

Or atleast there should be a better avenue for police misconduct to be judged. It seems that the injured parties have an impossible task of proving that there was wrongdoing.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:53 pm

I see the camera as a win-win. If the police is following protocol, there's nothing to hide. Force can always be justified or explained if the situation is on camera.
GSdrums87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:10 pm

Am I the only one that sees nothing wrong, minus the officer tossing the dude's phone away, with what happened in the video? The news story says some other stuff went down prior to the video starting and, if that is true, I am behind the citizens 100%. There is no video evidence of that though so if I am forming my opinion solely on the video I don't see anything wrong.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby redwill on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:14 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:Am I the only one that sees nothing wrong, minus the officer tossing the dude's phone away, with what happened in the video? The news story says some other stuff went down prior to the video starting and, if that is true, I am behind the citizens 100%. There is no video evidence of that though so if I am forming my opinion solely on the video I don't see anything wrong.

I agree. Without any other info, what did the cop do wrong?
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:16 pm

I just read the story, didn't watch the video. How does a traffic stop with regards to license plate infraction lead to teeangers being laid down on the pavement?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:17 pm

This might be a case of, "I'm the only cop here so I need to make sure I am safe." If there were other cops around I am thinking nobody is in cuffs and this isn't even a story.

I know there are a fair share of officers who abuse power, and this guy may be one of them, but there is no evidence of that. Cops are taught that ANYONE, no matter who or what they look like, can turn on you and attack you. He was just doing his (often thankless) job.

I would like to see all cops wearing cameras though.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:21 pm

Troy Loney wrote:I just read the story, didn't watch the video. How does a traffic stop with regards to license plate infraction lead to teeangers being laid down on the pavement?

In the video you can hear the cop say something like "Don't approach an officer." Maybe the cop turned around to see the kid walking up to him because he saw his mom in cuffs. Maybe he was running toward him. Either way, if I'm a cop and ANYONE is coming up on me and doesn't stop (which maybe he didn't) then your butt is on the ground.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:23 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:I just read the story, didn't watch the video. How does a traffic stop with regards to license plate infraction lead to teeangers being laid down on the pavement?

In the video you can hear the cop say something like "Don't approach an officer." Maybe the cop turned around to see the kid walking up to him because he saw his mom in cuffs. Maybe he was running toward him. Either way, if I'm a cop and ANYONE is coming up on me and doesn't stop (which maybe he didn't) then your butt is on the ground.

Fair enough,

there have been excessive cases here in pittsburgh with the city police lately, it's come to the point where i'm unable to give an officer the benefit of the doubt.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:32 pm

All three people were dragged out of the car. They were held at gunpoint because the man questioned the cop about the language his was using in issuing his daughter-in-law a license plate citation and blocking a driveway. All of the neighbors who witnessed the event corroborate each other's accounts and directly refute the police report as filed, specifically as regards the failure of the three people to follow instructions.

Just found out the officer in question has been placed on leave.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:44 pm

This doesn't make it right, but, the woman was admittedly saying stuff to the cop that she shouldn't have been. Im also guessing it wasn't whispered or said with a loving tone.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:47 pm

tifosi77 wrote:All three people were dragged out of the car. They were held at gunpoint because the man questioned the cop about the language his was using in issuing his daughter-in-law a license plate citation and blocking a driveway. All of the neighbors who witnessed the event corroborate each other's accounts and directly refute the police report as filed, specifically as regards the failure of the three people to follow instructions.

That is also what I understand. This appears to be a classic example where an officer on a power trip decides to “charge” people with contempt of cop.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:48 pm

A federal appeals court ruled that giving the finger "alone cannot establish probable cause to believe a disorderly conduct violation has occurred

good to know....
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:48 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:Either way, if I'm a cop and ANYONE is coming up on me and doesn't stop (which maybe he didn't) then your butt is on the ground.

Except that walking up to a police officer is not illegal, and you would have no basis to detain that person, let alone handcuff them or throw them on the ground. That's just more contempt of cop, which is not a crime or a basis for arrest.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:49 pm

From what the people have said, and considering how openly aggressive the cop was with people who were videoing the incident, the woman could have said nothing more than "What are you doing to my husband?!"
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:50 pm

Shyster wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:Either way, if I'm a cop and ANYONE is coming up on me and doesn't stop (which maybe he didn't) then your butt is on the ground.

Except that walking up to a police officer is not illegal, and you would have no basis to detain that person, let alone handcuff them or throw them on the ground. That's just more contempt of cop, which is not a crime or a basis for arrest.

Yeah, if that's your policy you aren't going to be a cop for very long.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:52 pm

tifosi77 wrote:From what the people have said, and considering how openly aggressive the cop was with people who were videoing the incident, the woman could have said nothing more than "What are you doing to my husband?!"

She could have said a lot of things. Why would she be kept to this?

I'm not on the side of the cop. The video alone shows no laws broken and that's what I have been basing all of my comments on. Now that corroborating witness accounts have been filed and administrative action taken that creates a different atmosphere.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR