Anyone know anything about cell phones?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Anyone know anything about cell phones?

Postby mikey287 on Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:13 pm

Currently, I have a Pantech C610 phone...which I like...it does what a normal phone does (i.e. has the numbers 0-9 on the front) which is really all I need...this one happens to have a 1.2 megapixel camera and a video camera on it, which is cool but not totally essential...

Well, my screen is cracked...a small crack that has been getting bigger every day and now engorges roughly half the screen...

How I cracked it:
Spoiler:
(in case you're wondering how I cracked it, look no further then Rob Scuderi's turnover in game 4 that led to Helm's first period goal...my phone was sitting in front of me, and about two seconds after that goal happened, my phone vibrated indicating that I had a text message [not game related] and I slapped it away from me in anger...it happens to hit a bottle of gin I had on my table and cracks...I have trouble keeping my emotions in check when it comes to the Pens and it costs me)

Anywho, these phones are like $55 on eBay, which is fine but this will mark the first time I actually spend money on a phone and I was thinking about going big...something I can get e-mail on and the interweb and all that fun stuff...

Ideally, it wouldn't have a full keyboard but I guess I'll adjust (how long before you got the hang of going from T9 to full keyboard? Because when I use my friend's phone to text it took me like 10 minutes to text someone because I'd mash all the buttons pretty much)...if it's just a matter of learning curve, then I'll take a full keyboard...

I'd like a decent camera (1.2 megapixel or better) because my digital camera is broken (and garbage), if it takes videos that'd be alright too - that comes in handy some nights at college...I guess if I'm gonna enter the 21st century, might as well be able to get e-mail and internet and all that...

I have AT&T. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a phone because I can just pick up an ok one for a few bucks probably...but no sense spending $55 to replace my current phone when like $20 or $30 more dollars can get me one of these super phones...

The thing is, I don't really know what's out there...I'll probably snag one off the 'bay because that's where I do most of my shopping...but there's roughly 10 or 20 trillion phones on eBay and I'm in over my head...I don't know what the difference between Blackberry Pearl or Blackberry Curve is...I don't know if 7100 is two years older than 8700 or two weeks older, etc.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? Any recommendations? Thanks for any help!
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Anyone know anything about cell phones?

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Spoiler:
mikey is an violent drunk
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:49 pm

Mikey

Call AT&T..tell them you need to upgrade for work to a better phone. If they say no, say I'm leaving for Verizon then...

BAM. New Blackberry Bold..
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:00 pm

Kovy27 wrote:Mikey

Call AT&T..tell them you need to upgrade for work to a better phone. If they say no, say I'm leaving for Verizon then...

I just upgraded a few months ago (2 or 3), are they gonna go for that?

And I wasn't drunk during the Pens game (I'm generally too nervous to consume anything leading up to or during playoff game...I will drink "socially" after a game (replace "socially" with "alone with lots of Jack) in the rare event that we lose... :idea:
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:06 pm

mikey287 wrote:

I just upgraded a few months ago (2 or 3), are they gonna go for that?

And I wasn't drunk during the Pens game (I'm generally too nervous to consume anything leading up to or during playoff game...I will drink "socially" after a game (replace "socially" with "alone with lots of Jack) in the rare event that we lose... :idea:

Spoiler:
Mikey is just generally violent
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:53 pm

I broke my TV remote during the Flyers series, so I feel your pain Mickey. Luckily it was the Comcast one and they replace it for free.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:54 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I broke my TV remote during the Flyers series, so I feel your pain Mickey. Luckily it was the Comcast one and they replace it for free.

Haha yeah, I had like 5 of them laying around.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:49 pm

I am so close to pulling a trigger on the BB Bold. Holy mother, that is a nice phone. I'm on a mission right now to find something I'll be happy with and this might be it. My g/f's contract also ran out, so we're gonna get a family plan. Maybe I can talk her into wanting an iPhone so I could play games on it, but she's not fond of touch screens either, so we'll see. I keep telling her it's a "lady phone"...

Before I left for Europe I spent a couple of weeks reading up and looking around, going from store to store trying different phones and I gotta tell you this BB Bold really stands out. Among other BBs too. Slightly bigger with a bigger screen, leather back, but the thing that I love about this phone most is the SPEAKER. I read 2 reviews last night (one on cnet and one some other place) which said it has the best speaker sound for music out of all the phones on the market. Which confirmed what I heard in the store... this thing is way way better than anything I have tried and I did maybe 15 phones among the 4 carriers. Loud (I had to lower the volume by 2 or 3 clicks so it wouldn't bother other people), clean (no distortion at top volume), bass (where most phones fail). This is something that's pretty important to me... maybe not someone else, but I am really blown away by the sound quality on this phone compared to everything else. You put it on your desk and you and your buddies can be satisfied enough to enjoy listening to something. Can't do that with MOST phones. Even other BBs don't sound this good. The BB Tour (Sprint) is the second worst sounding phone I tried... second only to the Samsung Impression (ATT).

Tip for some of you: go to a corporate store where all the phones are connected to the internet, then go to YouTube and listen to the same song or two on different phones. You can get a pretty good idea.

Anyway, this Sunday I spent 4 or 5 hours playing with different phones at the mall (thank God 3 of the carriers' stores are right next to each other and they're all connected to the web), so I have a good indication of what's out there. I'm going again today because I forgot to sound test the BB Storm (anybody likes the screen on this? really weird because it's a touch screen but you also have to click it) and the BB 8900.

By the way, if anyone else is looking to get the BB Bold, it's normally $299 from ATT, but if you go here it is FREE. If you want a second one for your girlfriend or your dog, it's only $199 for 2 phones vs $599 at ATT. Of course, look at the plan because you need an automatic $30 data plan per phone on a BB (or any smartphone from what I can tell).

http://www.letstalk.com/blackberry-bold-att
Last edited by Sarcastic on Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:02 pm

LOL @ Mike's spoiler.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:17 pm

mikey287 wrote:The thing is, I don't really know what's out there...

Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? Any recommendations? Thanks for any help!

Do what I'm doing. Go to a store and play with the damn things.

Also, some considerations. What do you want? A smartphone (extra $15 for data vs normal data plan... this seems as the standard pricing among all carriers)? Maybe all you need is a messaging phone, in which case I'd recommend the phone my g/f likes - hell, I like it too... it's an awesome messaging phone with my favorite keyboard out of all the phones I tried - the Samsung Exclaim on Sprint. Good web cruising if you install Opera Mini, too. Other texting phones I liked were the Samsung Impression (bad speaker sound for mp3s - practically unusable, IMO), and the enV Touch (pretty good sound but TOO QUIET). enV 3 seems to have a much better speaker sound than the Touch, but the Touch kills it otherwise. But, if you just want to listen with an earset, then it doesn't matter.

Touchscreen or Keyboard? Keyboard all the way for me. I can't type for jack on a touch screen. I am literally 3 times faster on a good keyboard and don't make almost any mistakes.

International calling. I've been on T-Mobile so long I forgot about that until this trip now. If you travel out of US/Canada, go with ATT or T-Mobile. Sprint and Verizon use a different network. Read this:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-gsm-and-cdma.htm

If you must stay with ATT, then I guess it limits it to their phones, but they probably have the best selection anyway.

Also, is Flash important to you for looking at Hulu or some other Flash-based site? Smartphones with Windows on them can do that. Also, there is a new browser called Skyfire that allows BBs to view Flash websites. Normal phones generally won't allow you to do that.

So, make a list of things you need in a phone and go play with some phones. I need good international calling and I want a good speaker phone. Maybe you don't and will be happy with something simpler.

Compare phone plans, too. They seem to be pretty much the same, except maybe for T-Mobile which seems a bit cheaper ($20 a month less for my options vs ATT or Sprint).
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:18 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:LOL @ Mike's spoiler.

lol

good thing it wasn't an iPhone
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:06 am

Kovy, do you own a BB Bold? Because I am not a happy camper tonight. I went back to ATT to play with their phones again and I can't figure out what happened but I wasn't happy. When I tried it earlier, I listened to a Reggae song and a Motown song, since both have good bass and just a good separation of sounds between the high-hat and everything else. I decided to listen to a couple metal songs tonight and to be honest I wasn't very happy. At the 2 highest volume clicks, the speakers got a bit distorted.

I couldn't connect to the web with the 8900 for some reason, but there was a John Mayer video on the phone and that sounded really good. Didn't exactly have much bass, but it was clean and didn't distort at all at the highest level. Wasn't as loud as the Bold, but it was loud enough. I like the Bold better otherwise... the screen is much bigger, for one.

I don't know anyone with a Bold and people at these places aren't exactly helpful with the details. If you have a Bold, can you load this up and tell me if it distorts at all?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvUi9drAumI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvn_h_CjffU

I think the Bold has an EQ, but that's only for the headset, isn't it?

I'm going to another ATT sometime this week to try another Bold and to hopefully connect with an 8900 to compare with the same songs.

I tested the BB Storm at Verizon and it sounded quiet good, but not as good as I thought the Bold originally sounded. Also, I can't figure out how someone can type on this thing. Gorgeous screen, but typing on it is nearly impossible.

If anyone can recommend a music phone that sounds good with the speaker, please do. I think the BBs are my favorite right now, but I'm open to suggestions.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to NHR