Dexter Anyone? **Possible Spoilers Ahead**

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Dexter Anyone? **Possible Spoilers Ahead**

Postby Pitts on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:39 am

I see where you're coming from Krafster. My daughter and I were like "are they just going to give everyone a happy ending to close the series??" I never did like Vogel from the beginning, and agree about the Hanna treadmill scene. Just too predictable. But, I truly am wondering what happens with Secret Agent FBI man. I think Hanna might off him herself.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Samsdog on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:02 pm

Kraftster wrote:I haven't liked this season at all so far, but tonight was just so colossally bad. I was embarrassed for the show. There were a ton of gmafb moments. One general example, one specific. I think the writers just failed at making Dexter's "protectiveness" of Vogel right now be believable. Maybe it was the week off and if I watched it straight through I'd feel differently. Or maybe if I didn't watch it after Breaking Bad, which has been about the complete opposite of Dexter in terms of final season success, but the entire show I was like, "wait, why do we care about this Saxson dude? Who cares, man. Get on the plane and get out of town." Just no way to integrate Vogel enough to where she is the cause of Dexter's downfall. Hanging around to kill one last time in order to be a hero or protect Vogel, or...what?

As for specific example, the Harrison treadmill fall/Hannah trip to the ER? lol, come on.

I guess commenting on Quinn and Jamie would just be overkill.

Breaking Bad and Dexter to me have gone in completely opposite directions. Breaking Bad has a story they wanted to tell and took no more or less episodes than they thought it required to tell it. Dexter seems like the writers just thought, %*^$ it, we just need to fill 12 episodes, throw every POS storyline we can think of at the wall and see what sticks. This season has dragged so much. Totally dry. They're just trying to fill episodes and it doesn't feel like there's a real purpose to anything that's happened so far. For one of my favorite shows of all time it's a huge disappointment.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby the riddler on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:50 am

Only two episodes left and this still doesn't feel like it should be the final season of this show. I'm glad it is because with this current group of writers, we're not going to get much more from the character. They seem content with playing it safe and keeping to a formula. I thought the last season wasn't bad and the momentum would carry over to the final season but it hasn't at all. Maybe there will be a good ending but I'm not that hopeful.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Spangler on Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:06 am

3 characters have been killed off, and they all debuted this season. It's like they are trying for shock value, but there's no reason to care about these characters since we barely know them.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kaizer on Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:42 am

it has sucked, but it's good to see brooks orpik staying busy in the offseason.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:45 am

Screw all you guys. I still like it...

:lol:
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:57 am

the complaints i've seen about this season are the same as all the other seasons. how much longer would you guys have kept with this show if the end date wasn't announced?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:54 am

I've enjoyed every season except season 5 and this. If this wasn't the last season, I would probably not watch it during the season.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby 60sixx on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:13 pm

60sixx
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby blackjack68 on Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:17 pm

Not too much tonight except Dexter making a stupid decision again. Ok folks, it all comes down to next. Good luck getting satisfying out of this finale.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby PensFanInDC on Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:36 pm

We decided not to watch tonight and save it for a 2 hour series finale. Might be better that way.

I still love the show. Screw you guys... :-)
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:09 am

PensFanInDC wrote:We decided not to watch tonight and save it for a 2 hour series finale. Might be better that way.

I still love the show. Screw you guys... :-)

I don't think you missed anything then. Honestly, don't think anything at all happened this week.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:25 am

Spoiler:
Dexter and Hannah also had the same conversation I think three times last night. I’m paraphrasing here:

Hannah: “I really wish we could go to Argentina now.”

Dexter: “I know! I just have to kill Oliver Saxon first.”

Hannah: “Why?”

Dexter: *shrugs shoulders*

Read more: http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/09/dexter ... z2f3eVBF1E

I laughed out loud.

Edit: Mainly because it happened 3 times again last night, I think.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:24 am

"like having a post-coital cigarette laced with ricin and shame"

Read more: http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/09/dexter ... z2f4M3u0be
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MWB on Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:38 pm

That site is hilarious, and true. I've watched the last four seasons in the past two months after about a 4 year layoff from Dexter. For me, seasons 1-4 were all good to very good. Seasons 5 and 6 were okay. Season 7 was awful. This season has been mish-mashed together. I think the show could have ended with season 4 and I would have been happy.

And I think there is something to the BB/Dexter juxtaposition. You watch BB and everything has some sort of relevance to it. Everything is tied together. With Dexter, there is so much fluff in comparison. It becomes so clear when the shows are watched so close together.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:24 pm

That was disappointing.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mr. Colby on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:19 am

Horrible. Should have just let Dexter die protecting harrison hannah and deb
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:44 am

Fine. I give. **** this show...
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby knives of ice on Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:06 am

the writers couldn't have done a **** job

if you ever know anyone wanting to watch this show, just tell them watch season 4 and skip everything else. what an absolute joke.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:25 am

I read spoilers for the last 4 episodes, and the first 3 were dead on, however, they had the finale being that Quinn confesses to Dexter that he has known about him all along and that he let it go because he knew that Dexter was doing the right thing (i.e. killing bad guys). Quinn kills Saxon as revenge for Deb, and Dexter runs away with Hannah. Compared to what I read, I thought the finale was better than I expected, especially with the spoilers being dead on for the 3 preceding episodes.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby demondg1 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:39 am

So let me get this straight...

Spoiler:
- It turns out the final "big bad" was a blood clot.
- Dexter's final kill is Deb.
- Dexter swims through a hurricane to Canada so he can be a lumberjack.
- Quin, Batista, and Masuka never get any closure to their stories.
- Hanna and Harrison go to Argentina.

Man, this all went to hell. Just awful, awful writing.

Was anybody else expecting Alfred to give Hannah a head nod at that cafe?
demondg1
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby 60sixx on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:27 am

I dunno. I didn't mind it. I was late to the Dexter party and never thought it was the fantastic show that everyone else did (and no, not even the Trinity season). I thought it was too predictable and in parts badly acted (although never by Michael C. Hall). I guess this combined with the general crapshow that was this last season kept my expectations low. I AM glad that Dexter lives on. I'd rather have had Deb live (her character really grew on me over the years) to take care of Harrison. (Dexter leaving the "good" part of him with her to help her heal, I guess.) But for what it was I didn't think it was terrible.
60sixx
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:50 am

demondg1 wrote:So let me get this straight...

Spoiler:
- It turns out the final "big bad" was a blood clot.
- Dexter's final kill is Deb.
- Dexter swims through a hurricane to Canada so he can be a lumberjack.
- Quin, Batista, and Masuka never get any closure to their stories.
- Hanna and Harrison go to Argentina.

Man, this all went to hell. Just awful, awful writing.

Was anybody else expecting Alfred to give Hannah a head nod at that cafe?

Most laughable, Dexter setup up Elway in the airport by making a "bomb" out of water bottles. While creating the bomb, he puts his own fingerprints all over everything, and not one person figures that out once they let Elway go.

Absolutely no one wonders why Dexter would go to Saxon's cell to do something he never did on the job before...and amazingly, he kills Saxon in self defense -- the very man who murdered his sister. Batista's only question: "But you no longer work here."

Hannah happens to be carrying horse tranquilizers in syringes as she's attempting to flee the country as a Most Wanted Fugitive...for real?

As mentioned...What did Dex do? Swim through a friggin hurricane? C'mon people! He isn't a super hero!

Oh yeah -- Dexter driving his boat right to the hospital during a hurricane and wheeling a brain-dead patient out to it???? OMG!

This final episode was simply comical. What a sham after so many great seasons. There was that episode about 3 weeks ago when I thought they might actually make something of the end. Unfortunately, all the writers decided to take an early exit from the job apparently.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:11 pm

Clyde Phillips, former Dexter showrunner (seasons 1-4), spilled the beans on how he would have ended the show...

"In the very last scene of the series," Philips explained, "Dexter wakes up. And everybody is going to think, 'Oh, it was a dream.' And then the camera pulls back and back and back and then we realize, 'No, it's not a dream.' Dexter's opening his eyes and he's on the execution table at the Florida Penitentiary. They're just starting to administer the drugs and he looks out through the window to the observation gallery.
"And in the gallery are all the people that Dexter killed—including the Trinity Killer and the Ice Truck Killer (his brother Rudy), LaGuerta who he was responsible killing, Doakes who he's arguably responsible for, Rita, who he's arguably responsible for, Lila. All the big deaths, and also whoever the weekly episodic kills were. They are all there.
"That's what I envisioned for the ending of Dexter. That everything we've seen over the past eight seasons has happened in the several seconds from the time they start Dexter's execution to the time they finish the execution and he dies. Literally, his life flashed before his eyes as he was about to die. I think it would have been a great, epic, very satisfying conclusion."

http://www.eonline.com/news/461558/chil ... the-series
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby blackjack68 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:07 pm

Meh. It's over and I don't even care.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to NHR