Strange Dreams

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Strange Dreams

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:33 pm

Last night I had a dream in which a raccoon got into my house. Everyone was staying away from it so I was tasked with the removal. The problem was that it was very cat-like in its appearance, and for some reason was the same colors as my aunt's cats(as opposed to any of my 3 cats), who in this dream were my cats. It basically looked exactly like a cat except with more rounded ears and a more rounded head. It was also hanging around my cats(and/or my aunt's cats), who didn't seem to care, making identification in the dark(apparently my home doesn't have electricity in this dream) difficult.

I was using a baseball bat to try to drag this raccoon into position to drop a box on top of it. Obviously this was not very effective, but eventually i got it under the box. Now instead of sliding this box on top of something so that I could pick both up and move them outside, I slid the box over the edge of the steps to use my hand to cover(how could I possibly cover the whole thing) the opening. As I got my hand under it, I came to the realization that the whole point of keeping our distance from it was that it was rabid, and I was likely to get bit. End Dream.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Strange Dreams

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:50 pm

I think the meaning is that you don't think things through before you do them, and end up being diseased. I would get checked for STDs. The rabid Racoon could be a metaphor for nameless, faceless sexual partners. Think of it......all ***** cats look the same, even rabid racoons?

Or it means that you put others safety before your own.

I think the first analysis is funnier though.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Bob McKenzie on Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:56 pm

The Snapshot wrote: I would get checked for STDs.

:lol:
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby jwienand on Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:05 pm

I had a weird dream the other night. Pygmies were throwing rocks at me and then they took over my house.
jwienand
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:10 pm

I had a dream the other night that Idoit40fans posted a thread about strange dreams.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:19 pm

The Snapshot wrote:I think the meaning is that you don't think things through before you do them, and end up being diseased. I would get checked for STDs. The rabid Racoon could be a metaphor for nameless, faceless sexual partners. Think of it......all ***** cats look the same, even rabid racoons?

Or it means that you put others safety before your own.

I think the first analysis is funnier though.

Don't think things through...check
nameless partners...check
end up diseased...was checked
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:25 pm

ive been out of school for several years now, but I still have dreams that I forgot about an assignment or an exam.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:26 pm

i have a somewhat recurring dream of people invading my grandparents house on motorcycles.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:27 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:ive been out of school for several years now, but I still have dreams that I forgot about an assignment or an exam.

Honestly, I have those dreams every few months. I dream I'm in high school (I've been graduated for 13 years), and I didn't do any of my homework assignments. And I'm racing to get them done before class starts. It's weird.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby LeopardLetang on Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:33 pm

this reminds me that i haven't had any recurring dreams in many years. nor have any of the familiar dream locations shown up in many years. many dreams always used to end up being in the same "set" which was always a mix of a real place (like my grandma's house, or elementary school) and a kind of wild/warlike/deserted place. i miss those places
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LeopardLetang on Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:36 pm

newarenanow wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:ive been out of school for several years now, but I still have dreams that I forgot about an assignment or an exam.

Honestly, I have those dreams every few months. I dream I'm in high school (I've been graduated for 13 years), and I didn't do any of my homework assignments. And I'm racing to get them done before class starts. It's weird.

i dream that i'm in some unfamiliar city walking to class but when i get there i realize the classes had started a few weeks before and i don't even have a book. it's awkward for a bit but then i end up just hanging around my new place with no worries for the rest of the dream. a lot like college.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby redwill on Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:45 pm

10 years or so ago, I went through a period of about a year where nearly every dream I had involved Tony Randall (the actor from "The Odd Couple.")

One I remember was that he was trying to save me from rampaging Japanese executives. He wasn't successful -- they kicked me out of a high-rise window.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Why Not Us on Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:04 pm

I've had a recurring dream about being back in high school and racing to classes I didn't know I had, to finish assignments, asking faculty what my locker combo is and I've been out of HS for 7 years now. I'm happy to see, as evidenced by this topic, that I'm not the only one.
Why Not Us
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Froggy on Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:32 pm

I had one that freaked the hell out of me about a week ago. I was walking alone on an empty highway and I came over a hill and the road was full of dead, eviscerated animals. It was the only way through, so I had to walk through. My girlfriend had to shake me to wake me up, because she thought something was really really wrong from my thrashing around. The worst thing was this was at 5:00 am and I couldn't get back to sleep.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:35 pm

My dream similar to that always involves some class that I skipped way too often and actually forgot about. I'd realize about 2/3 of the way through the semester that I should go, and get there and find out its possible to still pass because somehow i haven't missed an exam, but i have to learn 2/3 of a semester of material before the professor actually distributes the exams.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby viva la ben on Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:46 pm

It's funny because I've had the same dreams.....In college in a city thats vaguely like where I went to college. I always seem to know where I live, and I suddenly "remember" classes I'm supposed to be in. I hem and haw about going and usually wind up hanging out with my roommates or walking around town. Again, not very different from what actually happened.

I have lucid dreams frequently. Squeezing my hands is my trigger. Once you realize your dreaming in a dream it's like the Matrix.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby LeopardLetang on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:21 pm

viva la ben wrote:It's funny because I've had the same dreams.....In college in a city thats vaguely like where I went to college. I always seem to know where I live, and I suddenly "remember" classes I'm supposed to be in. I hem and haw about going and usually wind up hanging out with my roommates or walking around town. Again, not very different from what actually happened.

I have lucid dreams frequently. Squeezing my hands is my trigger. Once you realize your dreaming in a dream it's like the Matrix.

i had a good lucid dream once. at least one where i realized i was dreaming and i started doing whatever i wanted. i decided to fly and i could. but i got bored with it and woke up. after gathering my thoughts i got really mad that i didn't take advantage of it. i found i couldn't think creatively while dreaming.

what triggered it for me was that i was in a crazy car wreck but didn't wake up out of fear like i normally would and so i realized it was a dream.

i remember a funny dream where i started jumping higher and higher but once i got too high i looked down and it turned into a falling dream where i woke up when i was about to impact the ground
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:23 pm

LeopardLetang wrote:
viva la ben wrote:It's funny because I've had the same dreams.....In college in a city thats vaguely like where I went to college. I always seem to know where I live, and I suddenly "remember" classes I'm supposed to be in. I hem and haw about going and usually wind up hanging out with my roommates or walking around town. Again, not very different from what actually happened.

i had a good lucid dream once. at least one where i realized i was dreaming and i started doing whatever i wanted. i decided to fly and i could. but i got bored with it and woke up. after gathering my thoughts i got really mad that i didn't take advantage of it. i found i couldn't think creatively while dreaming.

what triggered it for me was that i was in a crazy car wreck but didn't wake up out of fear like i normally would and so i realized it was a dream.

i remember a funny dream where i started jumping higher and higher but once i got too high i looked down and it turned into a falling dream where i woke up when i was about to impact the ground

did it hurt?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:25 pm

newarenanow wrote:

I have that variation of a dream all the time too - it's usually half way through the semester and I haven't been to a class in weeks, and then I realize I may have missed a test or two, and i'm wondering how i'm going to be able to catch up.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:25 pm

I always dream that my teeth are all falling put and/or I am just randomly pulling them out. I hate it
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby viva la ben on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:28 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dream

has what you need to have lucid dreams....It works.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:28 pm

Lol snapper that was actally quite insightful as well as silly :thumb: :lol:
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:32 pm

This stuff has always facinated me.

The year or two before 911 i had a recuring dream about plane crashes - seeing them fall from the sky - usually at a very high altitute. Never saw them hit anything in my dream, but i think it's a strange coincidence, at the very least. Every once in a while i have that dream again, but not nearly as frequently. (i also hate to fly)

the last few years i've had dreams about a house - its about once a week at least. it's kind of a neutral maybe on the side of a bad dream, but i can't figure it out yet.

One of the strangest dreams i ever had, i was about 200 feet in the air looking down at myself, being chased a McDonalds - yeah, the restuarant and not the clown LOL. I think it was maybe 4th or 5th grade.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kicksave on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:58 pm

The Snapshot wrote:The rabid Racoon could be a metaphor for nameless, faceless sexual partners.

I have They have a name.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ben Klingston on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:05 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I was using a baseball bat to try to drag this raccoon into position to drop a box on top of it. Obviously this was not very effective, but eventually i got it under the box.

Are you sure it wasn't the money you could be saving with Geico?

Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to NHR