Letang Is The Truth wrote:they probably werent doing anything else
Knowing the guys in this building, they weren't.
In fact, they caused it. The hot water tap heater shorted out. Instead of disconnecting it, they just tagged it with a sign that it wasn't working.
Turns out as it shorted out, it started a small fire and melted all the wiring around it. The knowledgable maintenance guy that showed up (one of the few) said it was fortunate the fire didn't spread up through the walls.
What we smelled was a combination of burning plastic and freon, because the fire damaged our mini fridge as well.