Chicken Wings

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Chicken Wings

Postby JarkkoVision on Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:27 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Jesus I can't read this thread anymore......

lol

I'm so hungry. My classroom is near the cafeteria. It is hell every day.
JarkkoVision
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PghSkins on Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:41 am

JarkkoVision wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:
jaysmiter wrote:.
-Quaker Steak makes great sauces, but they are over priced and the actual wing usually sucks.

I've had wings at the original Quaker Steak and Lube in Sharon. Those are good wings. The satellite stores just are up to the same quality.

The best wings I had out of the city where in Buffalo, but not at the Anchor Bar. I've had wings at the Buffalo Head Bar and Gabriel's Gate (same owner). Those wings were just melt in your mouth amazing.

I think you got lucky. The original QSAL is just about the same quality as every other one of their restaurants. Which is about a 50/50 chance of having it be a decent experience.

I absolutely disagree. Unless it has changed since I have been there about 5 years ago, the original has always had the most consistent quality in the chain. I frequent the ones in Cranberry, Robinson and used to go to the ones in Cleveland on business and it amazes me how one week you can get excellent wings and the next they are terrible. Seems like there is no in between, they're either crispy, saucy, and awesome or rubbery, dry and blech. I always get extra sauce on the side just in case. There are other wing places with similar quality issues. We go to Zooky's on 51 in Beaver County and they are also hit and miss.

Also, bleu cheese is critical. If you want me to never go back to your resaturant, forget the bleu cheese, especially since I will have always, always asked specifically for extra. Marzetti's is fine, although you get bonus points for good homemade bleu cheese.

The absolute best are at Duff's in suburban Buffalo. Perfectly cooked and they come in a bowl bathed in sauce. I am sitting here drinking coffee at 10:30 AM and my mouth is watering thinking about it.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:53 am

JeffDFD wrote:Buffalo from the local Pizza Roma in Cranberry Twp (best wings!!!)

Best local chain FTW
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:55 am

I never was overwhelmed with Pizza Roma's wings (not that they are bad or anything), but I LOVE their Buffalo Chicken pizza... just had some the last time I was in the Burgh. :thumb:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:55 am

Im going for the atomic wings at Quaker next time I go to Pittsburgh.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:59 am

PensFanInDC wrote:Im going for the atomic wings at Quaker next time I go to Pittsburgh.

I won't go near those. Anything you have to sign a waiver for is a no go for me. 150,000 SHUs? No way
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:01 pm

Froggy wrote:Mango habanero from buffalo wild wings. Mmmmmmmm

Those are interesting in that when you bite into one for the first time - you think, "hot?? no way, these are sweet" - then the pepper kicks in and they kick your butt with the spice. (for me at least LOL).

Like most people it seems - their spicy garlic is my favorite. Their wings & food in general aren't anything special - but I do like their sauces. I use their sauces alot on the grill etc.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:01 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:Im going for the atomic wings at Quaker next time I go to Pittsburgh.

I won't go near those. Anything you have to sign a waiver for is a no go for me. 150,000 SHUs? No way

biggest let down ever. i dont know if they werent trying that day or what the problem was. the hottest wings at BW3 and Fatheads are both definitely hotter than what I had that day.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:09 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:
Wing Pitt, which was in Oakland but is now closed, had the best wings I have ever had in Pittsburgh. I have no idea why they closed.

Great gyros and fries too. I loved living on Semple. Especially the living room set burning aspects of it.

Semple wins the prize for crappiest street running perpindicular to Forbes and Fifth. Thats not a prize that is easily won.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:12 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:
Wing Pitt, which was in Oakland but is now closed, had the best wings I have ever had in Pittsburgh. I have no idea why they closed.

Great gyros and fries too. I loved living on Semple. Especially the living room set burning aspects of it.

Semple wins the prize for crappiest street running perpindicular to Forbes and Fifth. Thats not a prize that is easily won.

lol....how about that dollar store all the way near forbes....but yeah...semple looks like a third world country

Oakland Ave FTW!!! (lived there for 2 years)
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:16 pm

id say Chesterfield gives Semple a run for it's money. Chesterfield is just about as trashed but has the addition of a mideval/ancient roman style stone block street.

semple looks like a demiliterized zone after semple fest every year though.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:18 pm

Cluck U in Maryland is pretty good.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:24 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:id say Chesterfield gives Semple a run for it's money. Chesterfield is just about as trashed but has the addition of a mideval/ancient roman style stone block street.

Chesterfield is in a world of its own...its outside of the s. bouquet - mckee land mass...which i think is what kenny was comparing.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:31 pm

the wicked child wrote:I never was overwhelmed with Pizza Roma's wings (not that they are bad or anything), but I LOVE their Buffalo Chicken pizza... just had some the last time I was in the Burgh. :thumb:

It is important we are talking about the one in Cranberry Township. There are many "Pizza Roma's," "Roma's," etc, but the one in Cranberry has the best hot hoagies and buffalo wings (not to mention good pizza). It is nice that when you order "hot" wings from them...they are actually hot. When you get "hot" from QSL or most other restaurants...they are not even as spicy as the Mediums at Pizza Roma.

Now I want an Italian Hoagie and small order of wings from Pizza Roma.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:35 pm

JeffDFD wrote:
the wicked child wrote:I never was overwhelmed with Pizza Roma's wings (not that they are bad or anything), but I LOVE their Buffalo Chicken pizza... just had some the last time I was in the Burgh. :thumb:

It is important we are talking about the one in Cranberry Township. There are many "Pizza Roma's," "Roma's," etc, but the one in Cranberry has the best hot hoagies and buffalo wings (not to mention good pizza). It is nice that when you order "hot" wings from them...they are actually hot. When you get "hot" from QSL or most other restaurants...they are not even as spicy as the Mediums at Pizza Roma.

Now I want an Italian Hoagie and small order of wings from Pizza Roma.

The original is on Perry Hwy in McCandless. The one you are talking about is a franchised location. I agree the Cranberry one is good, but the originl is still the best.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:52 pm

Hmm, never been - is that the one just called "Roma Restaurant?"

I have been going to the one in cranberry for about 20 years now - If I am in the restaurant it is an Italian Hoagie and maybe wings for an app if I am hungry - smae thing for 20 years...maybe tried 2-3 other things on the menu. Order out Pizza is good though too.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:54 pm

Troy Loney wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:id say Chesterfield gives Semple a run for it's money. Chesterfield is just about as trashed but has the addition of a mideval/ancient roman style stone block street.

Chesterfield is in a world of its own...its outside of the s. bouquet - mckee land mass...which i think is what kenny was comparing.

I was indeed thinking of that region. Once you get beyond Bates Street, its a whole new ballgame. That being said, while actual street on chesterfield is quite crappy, the magical combination of empty lots, crappy housing, and garages make semple a stand out in Oakland.

I was a 2 year resident of Meyran Ave, for the record.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pfim on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:56 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:

I always thought that was McKee. At least there was a reason to go to Semple even though it was trashed. McKee just sucked.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:04 pm

Best wings I've had were at the SOD in Oakland when that was open.

Can't beat the variety of flavors at Quaker Steak.

And I hate breaded wings. Makes no sense to me.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PghSkins on Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:14 pm

The Pizza Roma in Chippewa bakes their wings. Big time wing foul.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby demondg1 on Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:23 pm

Wings, by far my favorite food.

Best Wings: Original North Park Lounge McCandless - cajun, spicey parm, or if you want something really special ask them to mix the cajun and sweet teriyaki

Honorable mention: Primanti's(surprisingly), Royal Lounge in the South Hills

Don't waste your time: Quaker Steak, Buffalo Wild Wings, Anchor Bar in Buffalo(supposed birthplace of wings)
demondg1
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kicksave on Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:26 pm

demondg1 wrote:Best Wings: Original North Park Lounge McCandless - cajun, spicey parm, or if you want something really special ask them to mix the cajun and sweet teriyaki

Yes.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:35 pm

I like the LA Lickers at Quaker Steak.

Harold's in Hopewell has really good wings too.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:01 pm

JeffDFD wrote:Hmm, never been - is that the one just called "Roma Restaurant?"

I have been going to the one in cranberry for about 20 years now - If I am in the restaurant it is an Italian Hoagie and maybe wings for an app if I am hungry - smae thing for 20 years...maybe tried 2-3 other things on the menu. Order out Pizza is good though too.

Yes that is the original. The others pay him franchise fees to use the name.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:02 pm

PghSkins wrote:The Pizza Roma in Chippewa bakes their wings. Big time wing foul.

Disagree, baked wings can be very good, and you usually get a better crispiness. Ive never been to that location though.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR