Chicken Wings

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Chicken Wings

Postby JarkkoVision on Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:50 am

count2infinity wrote:
JarkkoVision wrote:
Juice wrote:This thread is the reason canaan and I pounded down about 8 Yuengling 22's, 2 dozen wings, and a large pizza last night.

Thank you all from the bottom of our hearts/colons.

I might have to do that tonight.

ditto...

Minus the beer. I think drinking while taking antibiotics is frowned upon.
JarkkoVision
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:51 am

tell me about it...had strep throat last christmas/new years. was on antibiotics the whole time and couldn't drink :(
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JarkkoVision on Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:54 am

count2infinity wrote:tell me about it...had strep throat last christmas/new years. was on antibiotics the whole time and couldn't drink :(

I have it now. lol

I've been sick for the past two weeks. I'm finally starting to feel better. Hopefully this amoxicillin works.

When you had strep did you just have a sore throat and a cough? I went to see my uncle who is a doctor. He had a meeting so he was kind of rushing but he told me it was strep. I've had throat pain, trouble swallowing, and a cough with some mucus activity.
JarkkoVision
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:00 pm

i had white puss sacks (attractive i know...) all over my tonsils. couldn't swallow (even my own saliva hurt to swallow). and i had a really dry cough every once in a while, but not too much cough. also a pretty high fever and just achy all over. lost 10 pounds from it though.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:01 pm

You too have single handedly killed a food thread with white puss sac and mucus talk :)
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:03 pm

I have a sore throat too right now. No symptoms really other than the sore throat. Has been getting a little worse every day. Finally stayed home from work to rest and I am feeling better.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JarkkoVision on Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:04 pm

I had my tonsils removed when I was a kid. When I had mono a few years ago I discovered the surgeon left some of the tonsil in. That is why I don't think it is severe.

I think I should sue the surgeon who "removed" my tonsils though.
JarkkoVision
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JarkkoVision on Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:07 pm

slappybrown wrote:You too have single handedly killed a food thread with white puss sac and mucus talk :)

:face:

My bad.
JarkkoVision
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PensBeerGeek on Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:19 pm

mac5155 wrote:bud murphys in connellsville

Have you made it to DiMarco's in Uniontown? They have the really good full wings (the ones that are more like a piece of KFC chicken than a wing).

I finally tried the Buffalo Wild Wings boneless wings (Mango Habanero, which just seemed so much hotter on the boneless, so I'm sure I'll be having some "next day effects" shortly)....really not all that bad!
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby stopper40 on Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:45 pm

The Trolley Stop in Bethel Park have good ones, I get the hot then get some of the cajun seasoning and sprinkle that over them. Caribbean jerk at BWW is awesome. The wings at Hooters and Quaker steak have always been a huge disappointment to me.
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:48 pm

stopper40 wrote:The Trolley Stop in Bethel Park have good ones, I get the hot then get some of the cajun seasoning and sprinkle that over them. Caribbean jerk at BWW is awesome. The wings at Hooters and Quaker steak have always been a huge disappointment to me.

Really?

I grew up right off of clifton in BP and have never gone there...whats their beer selection like?

i might consider going there sometime when i'm back in the area.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby stopper40 on Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:03 pm

Troy Loney wrote:
stopper40 wrote:The Trolley Stop in Bethel Park have good ones, I get the hot then get some of the cajun seasoning and sprinkle that over them. Caribbean jerk at BWW is awesome. The wings at Hooters and Quaker steak have always been a huge disappointment to me.

Really?

I grew up right off of clifton in BP and have never gone there...whats their beer selection like?

i might consider going there sometime when i'm back in the area.

Beer selection is fair once in a while they'll have someting out of the ordinary but it's basically your standard bar/restaurant selection.
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:03 pm

PensBeerGeek wrote:

Have you made it to DiMarco's in Uniontown? They have the really good full wings (the ones that are more like a piece of KFC chicken than a wing).

I finally tried the Buffalo Wild Wings boneless wings (Mango Habanero, which just seemed so much hotter on the boneless, so I'm sure I'll be having some "next day effects" shortly)....really not all that bad!

no, but my roommate is from Smock and he preaches to me about them all the time. i'm gonna try em out one day
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensBeerGeek on Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:04 pm

mac5155 wrote:
PensBeerGeek wrote:

no, but my roommate is from Smock and he preaches to me about them all the time. i'm gonna try em out one day

It might help to know that they also have nearly 40 taps, almost all craft beer :D
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:12 pm

PensBeerGeek wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
PensBeerGeek wrote:

It might help to know that they also have nearly 40 taps, almost all craft beer :D

heading home tonight. maybe i'll stop there :thumb:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:24 pm

traditional "buffalo" sauce is franks red hot (or something similar) and melted butter. it has a consistency like a thinner salad dressing

ive noticed more places are using "hot" wing sauce that is quite a bit thicker, close to marinara or some kind of spaghetti sauce. it usually seems to have more stuff off the spice rack in it.

who likes which better? id like to find a recipe for the thicker style and give it a try. im soaking potatoes for chips now and im going to char broil some wings for game time today.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:26 pm

The chips recipe here is a winner:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... index.html

The key is to cook them twice.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Rylan on Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:27 pm

Whatever happened to JarkkoVision? I miss him making threads.

Big Shot Bob's wings Honey Bunny and Cool Runnings are my favorites. I wish I could have some today :(
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:38 pm

Aww Rylan.....
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PghSkins on Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:23 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:traditional "buffalo" sauce is franks red hot (or something similar) and melted butter. it has a consistency like a thinner salad dressing

ive noticed more places are using "hot" wing sauce that is quite a bit thicker, close to marinara or some kind of spaghetti sauce. it usually seems to have more stuff off the spice rack in it.

who likes which better? id like to find a recipe for the thicker style and give it a try. im soaking potatoes for chips now and im going to char broil some wings for game time today.

For the thicker I use Kroger store brand hot buffalo sauce. It is also good as pretzel dip. It has the spices I think you are talking about.

Normally I use QS&L Supercharged (formerly suicide) sauce w about a tbsp of butter melted in it.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:14 pm

Thanks to this thread I'll be ordering wings for dinner.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PghSkins on Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:18 pm

By the way, if you cook your own wings, here is a fantastic recipe for baked (actually broiled) wings that taste just like deep fried, nice and crispy (usually baked wings come out way too slimy for me). I think the boiling is what does it.

http://www.food.com/recipe/unbelievable-baked-buffalo-wings-155021
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:14 pm

i want Jarkko back... someone find him.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PghSkins on Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:21 pm

count2infinity wrote:i want Jarkko back... someone find him.

He is locked out.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:27 pm

stopper40 wrote:The wings at Hooters and Quaker steak have always been a huge disappointment to me.

IMO, the wings at QS&L used to be much better before they expanded into a chain restaurant. Back when I was in high school, we often drove up to Sharon (I'm from Slippery Rock) after high school on Fridays in order to get some wings. I also have family over in Youngstown, and on the way back from visiting them we would often detour to Sharon to get some buckets of wings. That was before QS&L expanded to any other towns and they were still making all of their sauces right there in the restaurant. I can remember seeing the industrial-size tubs of Tabasco and other ingredients they were bringing in to make the wing sauces. Today, I'm pretty sure that the sauces for all of the restaurants are made and bottled in some central factory. They just aren't the same.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NHR