LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2016 Euros)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:35 am

Newcastle signed Remy Cabella for 12 mil. Excellent signing for them.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby npv708 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:28 am

I have a newb-question about the German team:

Why was Podolski used in a limited role throughout this World Cup? I seem to remember him being up front in 2006/2010, so did he fall off that strongly of late?
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:03 am

npv708 wrote:I have a newb-question about the German team:

Why was Podolski used in a limited role throughout this World Cup? I seem to remember him being up front in 2006/2010, so did he fall off that strongly of late?

He is up there a little bit in age. As well, Podloski is viewed as someone who provides goals and not much else. Isn't that the same as Klose? Yeah, but Klose is pretty much a classic center forward. Podolski also gets derided for his work rate and not tracking back to help out his fullback. That sort of thing is incredibly invaluable in the knockout rounds of the World Cup.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:31 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Image

How this ended up being a foul on Higuain still baffles me.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:51 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Image

How this ended up being a foul on Higuain still baffles me.

if the collision wasn't so violent, it would be a clear foul. but the optics make it seem like a crazy call.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:10 am

tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby stopper40 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:38 am

Came in 2nd in my World Cup Poll. Won $75
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:23 pm

Markovic to Liverpool is official.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:58 pm

Just bought tickets to the final of that series of friendlies for the big Euro teams here in Miami. Who knows how seriously any of the teams will take it or how many first-reamers will actually be playing, but on paper, it looks like the two group winners should Real Madrid and Man City.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:00 pm

Man U plays here next week, I think. If it wasn't a weekday, I'd totally go check it out.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby largegarlic on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:49 pm

Yeah, the game in Miami is a Monday night...kind of irritating, but I figure it might be a while until I get a chance to see teams of this quality (even if it's their B teams) live.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:25 pm

There's all these crazy Arturo Vidal rumors going around. Like Conte is resigning because he would never authorize the sale of Vidal to United. And that the deal might be concluded in the very near future. There are also rumors that United never had any chance of signing him. I have no idea what is going on.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocco on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:40 pm

Crap I thought I was in a different thread. I'm going senile.
Last edited by Rocco on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NashvilleCat on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:43 pm

Rocco wrote:Lucroy doing his part to make sure Game 7 is at PNC. Dee Gordon has ludicrous speed.

Dee "Dark Helmet" Gordon - isn't this a Futbol thread?
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavement on Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:48 am

WDWBurghGooner wrote:There's all these crazy Arturo Vidal rumors going around. Like Conte is resigning because he would never authorize the sale of Vidal to United. And that the deal might be concluded in the very near future. There are also rumors that United never had any chance of signing him. I have no idea what is going on.

Looks like he's had his contract terminated by 'mutual consent'. It's on sky sports website just now.
Pavement
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby redwill on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:44 am

DelPen wrote:Thinking of getting into Premier League this year if I only to give me another reason to start drinking before noon.

Now I just need to find the right team to root for.

Some years ago I got into EPL because DirecTV had a promotion and we got one of those channels that shows a lot of games.

For some reason I was drawn to Reading FC and followed them religiously for a season or so. I think I liked them because their ancient nickname was "The Biscuitmen."

They were plucky. Always great in the second tier and trying to make a splash with the big boys. Unfortunately, I think their biggest claim to fame was Stephen Hunt breaking Peter Cech's head.

Anyway, the DirecTV thing went away and soon after Reading got relegated and I mostly lost interest.

However, one of my dogs is named Reading. So something came of it.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby redwill on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:27 am

I heard a story on NPR yesterday about the MLB All-Star Game. One of the questions was why are people no longer very interested in the All-Star Game. One of the speculations was that it had to do with free agency in baseball. No longer are players associated with NL or AL exclusively. It's certainly like that with teams as well. Fans can't say, "He's one of us!"

I wonder if that's why the World Cup is so special. Sure, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man City, etc. are fantastic teams. But they're so corporate. They're like watching hired guns. Great football no doubt, but no allegiance.

No soul. Only a fraction of the passion. No ... community.

I know that's not news. People have been saying things like that for years.

But the World Cup and Euro and the Olympics and touneys like them are where it's at.

So what freaky unbelievable combo of stellar superstars is at Barca currently?

I don't really care.

Good for them.

I'm gonna go look up how The Biscuitmen are doing.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby superconan on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:57 am

Rocco wrote:Scary thing about this German team is that their average age is 26. They could bring back a lot of guys from this team who will be in their primes or just slightly past their primes but still good in 2018. Klose is retiring. Podolski's likely gone. Schweingsteiger will be 33 and may need replacing (had the game lasted another five minutes he might have died). Lahm will be 34 but I could see him aging well enough to still be playing. Mertesacker will be 33 which isn't that old for a CB and it may be a good thing if he's gone. Khedira will be 31. The rest of their outfield players will be 30 or younger. They also had guys who would have made this team but were hurt. You can insert your own joke about Germany successfully invading Russia this time here and get used to a bunch of them over the next 4 years.

I doubt they could rip off a Pax Espana-style run of winning titles over the next six years because other European teams (namely Spain and Belgium, and I think France) have a strong group of young talent as well. Plus winning a title is really hard and takes luck that isn't always there. On a better day Higuain converts one of his chances, or in an alternate reality Man City don't play Aguero when he's not healthy and he makes it to the tourney in one piece and gives Germany more trouble. It would however not be shocking if they added to their trophy haul either in 2016 or 2018 or even 2020 with this core. Hopefully Jurgen can find a few more Germans with American ancestors that won't crack the German setup and convince them to come home.

Gotze - 24
Kroos - 26
Muller - 26 (turning 27)
Reus - 27
Ozil - 27 (turning 28)
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:40 pm

redwill wrote:I wonder if that's why the World Cup is so special. Sure, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man City, etc. are fantastic teams. But they're so corporate. They're like watching hired guns. Great football no doubt, but no allegiance.

No soul. Only a fraction of the passion. No ... community.

Actually, one of the reasons why I'm such a fan of Barcelona is their development system and the association that comes with certain players. A lot of the long-time FCB guys of the current generation are products of the team's development system, La Masia. Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets, Puyol, Pique, Valdes.... even former coach Pep Guardiola. Between youth and senior careers, Xavi has been with FCB for over twenty years. Messi has been there for sixteen years now, which is four years longer than he lived in Argentina.

Do they have the big 'hired guns' from time to time, like Ibra and now Neymar? Sure. But the core of the team is, to me, that farmhouse development system.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby count2infinity on Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:59 pm

count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby redwill on Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:27 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Actually, one of the reasons why I'm such a fan of Barcelona is their development system and the association that comes with certain players. A lot of the long-time FCB guys of the current generation are products of the team's development system, La Masia. Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets, Puyol, Pique, Valdes.... even former coach Pep Guardiola. Between youth and senior careers, Xavi has been with FCB for over twenty years. Messi has been there for sixteen years now, which is four years longer than he lived in Argentina.

Do they have the big 'hired guns' from time to time, like Ibra and now Neymar? Sure. But the core of the team is, to me, that farmhouse development system.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. I just threw Barcelona in there because of Neymar. Actually, I was thinking mostly of Chelsea and Roman Abramovich, which for some reason I didn't list.

I think my sentiment still holds some water, though. As for Reading, they're as bad as any in the EPL. So ... bleh.

When does WC 2018 start?
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IanMoran on Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:34 pm

I've decided I really enjoy actually watching soccer. Its good entertainment. That being said, I just spend way too much of my time on sports already, I really don't have to develop another addiction with a different sport, so I'll probably just see you guys in another 4 years #csb
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Avyran on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:23 pm

Guessing you guys already read this story, but just in case...
Germany midfielder Mesut Ozil has confirmed that he has "supported the surgery" of 23 children in Brazil in the wake of his side's World Cup triumph.

Ozil, 25, helped fund operations for 11 sick children in the World Cup host nation before the tournament and Germany's successful World Cup campaign has inspired him to donate more money.

Just a nice thing done. Maybe I'll support Arsenal a little more this season.
Avyran
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:45 am

Anybody else finding themselves thinking that guys like Cavani and Thiago Silva (playing ability not leadership) are vastly overrated after this World Cup?
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:05 am

I definitely had the thought about Cavani.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR