LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2016 Euros)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:21 am

Very good players. Small sample size. Cavani set up Suarez brilliantly vs England.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Trip McNeely on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Cavani had a little bit of a downyear compared to his usually high standards, both for club and country. Some of it has to do with where he is playing positionally. Ibra basically plays his favored position for PSG, and for Uruguay he plays a little more like a winger due to Suarez. He did get his start as more of a winger than out and out striker, but for Napoli he formed into a true modern striker. He can play as a target, run at people, and track back. He was probably a little low of confidence going into the World Cup due to his domestic campaign. He is a very good player though, dont let the world cup fool you.

In regards to Thiago Silva, he is legit. He might have lost his place as the best centre back in the world, but he is still top 3. He was a little off the pace in the third place game, especially on the penalty he gave up. But look at Brazils defensive record while he was in the lineup versus without him. He does alot to organize the defense for Brazil.... he is einstein in soccer sense compared to David Luiz. He is very good positionally and has good pace. Didnt look good in the third place game, but he also didnt have much support considering Luiz was doing his usual forays into the midfield and oscar/luis gustavo/willian were doing there best to run as little as possible.
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:34 pm

Trip McNeely wrote:Cavani had a little bit of a downyear compared to his usually high standards, both for club and country. Some of it has to do with where he is playing positionally. Ibra basically plays his favored position for PSG, and for Uruguay he plays a little more like a winger due to Suarez. He did get his start as more of a winger than out and out striker, but for Napoli he formed into a true modern striker. He can play as a target, run at people, and track back. He was probably a little low of confidence going into the World Cup due to his domestic campaign. He is a very good player though, dont let the world cup fool you.

In regards to Thiago Silva, he is legit. He might have lost his place as the best centre back in the world, but he is still top 3. He was a little off the pace in the third place game, especially on the penalty he gave up. But look at Brazils defensive record while he was in the lineup versus without him. He does alot to organize the defense for Brazil.... he is einstein in soccer sense compared to David Luiz. He is very good positionally and has good pace. Didnt look good in the third place game, but he also didnt have much support considering Luiz was doing his usual forays into the midfield and oscar/luis gustavo/willian were doing there best to run as little as possible.

I'm not a regular watcher of Ligue Un or Serie A. So, I don't watch Thiago Silva much but have heard him referred to as the best defender in the world for a few years now. Oh, it's obvious he's asked to cover up for David Luiz's forays.

I would say Cavani is overrated in the sense that I was hearing his price tag would be 60mil. I'd put him in more of the 40-45 mil range.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:22 pm

Lahm retires from international football
So that's a bit of a surprise. He's only 30 years old.

Avyran wrote:Guessing you guys already read this story, but just in case...
Germany midfielder Mesut Ozil has confirmed that he has "supported the surgery" of 23 children in Brazil in the wake of his side's World Cup triumph.

Ozil, 25, helped fund operations for 11 sick children in the World Cup host nation before the tournament and Germany's successful World Cup campaign has inspired him to donate more money.

Just a nice thing done. Maybe I'll support Arsenal a little more this season.

Watching the group stage matches, I noticed Cristiano Ronaldo had a funky design shaved into the hair on the side of his head. I thought it was a highly stylized CR7 motif, and was all like "What a doosh" Then I found out that he apparently paid for some poor kid's brain surgery, and he shaved the design to match the kid's scar as a show of support.

Derp on me.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby largegarlic on Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:32 pm

tifosi77 wrote: Watching the group stage matches, I noticed Cristiano Ronaldo had a funky design shaved into the hair on the side of his head. I thought it was a highly stylized CR7 motif, and was all like "What a doosh" Then I found out that he apparently paid for some poor kid's brain surgery, and he shaved the design to match the kid's scar as a show of support.

Derp on me.

Well, crap...I had made the same assumption.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:15 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Lahm retires from international football
So that's a bit of a surprise. He's only 30 years old.

Avyran wrote:Guessing you guys already read this story, but just in case...
Germany midfielder Mesut Ozil has confirmed that he has "supported the surgery" of 23 children in Brazil in the wake of his side's World Cup triumph.

Ozil, 25, helped fund operations for 11 sick children in the World Cup host nation before the tournament and Germany's successful World Cup campaign has inspired him to donate more money.

Just a nice thing done. Maybe I'll support Arsenal a little more this season.

Watching the group stage matches, I noticed Cristiano Ronaldo had a funky design shaved into the hair on the side of his head. I thought it was a highly stylized CR7 motif, and was all like "What a doosh" Then I found out that he apparently paid for some poor kid's brain surgery, and he shaved the design to match the kid's scar as a show of support.

Derp on me.

I thought there were conflicting reports on whether that story was actually true or not.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:26 pm

Well, apparently the child has yet to have the surgery (or at least as of the end of the group stage of the WC had yet to have it), but the haircut still mimics the surgery scar. He's not said one way or the other, but the kid's mom confirmed that the operation had not yet taken place.

I read one story that said "There’s never been a bigger chasm between “commendable, righteous” and “preening toolbag” with respect to one haircut." Preening toolbag is my new favorite phrase.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby largegarlic on Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:08 pm

What's up with Man City this transfer season? They haven't made any big buys (right?) and don't even seem to be implicated in many rumors. Chelsea and maybe even Arsenal seem to be closing the gap.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavement on Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:29 pm

largegarlic wrote:What's up with Man City this transfer season? They haven't made any big buys (right?) and don't even seem to be implicated in many rumors. Chelsea and maybe even Arsenal seem to be closing the gap.

The only rumours i've seen are that they are after Elaquim Mangala, the young French defender. My spelling might be a bit off there. Also a few newspapers reported that Man Utd had made a bid for Yaya Toure that has been rejected.
Pavement
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:11 pm

I thought for sure Lahm would give it another two years and be available for the Euro 2016. For all the great midfieldes they develop, Germany is very short on full-backs, with Lahm being the only one that could really be considered world-class.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Trip McNeely on Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:29 pm

Mustafi might turn out to be pretty good
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:34 pm

He didn't look that good, I thought. Boateng can play the position, Durm is talented. There may be other, younger guys I'm not really aware of. Oh, there's Emre Can of course.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:37 pm

Gaucho wrote:I thought for sure Lahm would give it another two years and be available for the Euro 2016. For all the great midfieldes they develop, Germany is very short on full-backs, with Lahm being the only one that could really be considered world-class.

I thought you were disappointed with Lahm?
(Maybe I made that up?)
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RJW76 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:47 pm

largegarlic wrote:What's up with Man City this transfer season? They haven't made any big buys (right?) and don't even seem to be implicated in many rumors. Chelsea and maybe even Arsenal seem to be closing the gap.

Ask and ye shall receive

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... ey-everton

IIRC, City kinda stood pat after winning in 2012 and they had a down year (by their new standards). Still early, though.
RJW76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:38 pm

Agree with author-don't know how Barkley replaces Toure. That said, I love Barkley. I really hope Everton hang onto him.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:01 pm

columbia wrote:
Gaucho wrote:I thought for sure Lahm would give it another two years and be available for the Euro 2016. For all the great midfieldes they develop, Germany is very short on full-backs, with Lahm being the only one that could really be considered world-class.

(Maybe I made that up?)

I thought he wasn't very convincing in midfield, yes. As a full-back, he's a marvel.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:26 pm

Gaucho wrote:He didn't look that good, I thought. Boateng can play the position, Durm is talented. There may be other, younger guys I'm not really aware of. Oh, there's Emre Can of course.

What about Sebastian Jung?
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:46 pm

WDWBurghGooner wrote:
Gaucho wrote:He didn't look that good, I thought. Boateng can play the position, Durm is talented. There may be other, younger guys I'm not really aware of. Oh, there's Emre Can of course.

I don't think he's better than, say, Marcel Schmelzer, who Löw never seemed to like much. I forgot about Antonio Rüdiger, he looks promising.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby superconan on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:03 pm

columbia wrote:

(Maybe I made that up?)

Poor against Ghana and Italy (Euro 2012), but overall has been solid.
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby superconan on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:09 pm

WDWBurghGooner wrote:Anybody else finding themselves thinking that guys like Cavani and Thiago Silva (playing ability not leadership) are vastly overrated after this World Cup?

Every time I see Cavani I think that. Not Silva when I have seen him for club.
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:16 pm

superconan wrote:
columbia wrote:

(Maybe I made that up?)

Poor against Ghana and Italy (Euro 2012), but overall has been solid.

If we're talking overall, he's been one of the best full-backs on the planet for a solid decade. He looked uncharacteristically indecisive and hesitant in midfield vs Portugal and Ghana.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:34 pm

Apparently the Lahm retirement rumors were true
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:00 am

Gaucho wrote:As a full-back, he's a marvel.

Which, let's not kid ourselves, is kind of amazing. That's like saying Peregrin Took or Meriadoc Brandybuck are spectacular defenders.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:50 am

tifosi77 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:As a full-back, he's a marvel.

Which, let's not kid ourselves, is kind of amazing. That's like saying Peregrin Took or Meriadoc Brandybuck are spectacular defenders.

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:24 am

Gaucho wrote:
WDWBurghGooner wrote:

I don't think he's better than, say, Marcel Schmelzer, who Löw never seemed to like much. I forgot about Antonio Rüdiger, he looks promising.

Right, plus he's 22. He could be a total different player for good or for bad come France '16 let alone Russia '18.

Edit: He's 24, if he was going to make an impact he most likely would have by now.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR