Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2016 Euros)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby pfim on Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:48 am

jmh470 wrote:I bet Wayne Rooney feels (to borrow a tired meme) vindicated. United was never really close to strengthening their areas of need, despite their transparently unrealistic overtures.

Having seen plenty of Ozil, more often than not I'm left wondering why people fawn all over him. He plays a tremendous pass every now and then, but he neither scores nor defends with any regularity. He's always been much better for his country IMO.

It's funny to see where Ozil and Fellaini landed, because I think both players would have been more valuable to his team had they switched destinations.

Welcome to the Dithering Dave era.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:44 am

I find it a little amusing that a lot of fans and half the Real team, including CR7, are bemused, incredulous and even a little angry at Mesuts departure.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:06 pm

Given how you'd expect a team to play with Bale and CR -- I assume Bale shifts to the right -- why do they need Ozil, and why would Ozil want to play for them? If RM think Isco is good enough to fill the role behind Benzema (assuming they only play with one pure striker), and you play Modric with Alonso in traditional central midfield roles, Ozil seems superfluous to an extent, because the focus is clearly going to be on the flanks. Modric can also play behind Benzema if Isco isn't the answer, and you can play Alonso/Khedira in central midfield for more steel.

Once they signed Bale, I would want to leave too if I were Ozil.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:21 pm

slappybrown wrote:Given how you'd expect a team to play with Bale and CR -- I assume Bale shifts to the right -- why do they need Ozil, and why would Ozil want to play for them? If RM think Isco is good enough to fill the role behind Benzema (assuming they only play with one pure striker), and you play Modric with Alonso in traditional central midfield roles, Ozil seems superfluous to an extent, because the focus is clearly going to be on the flanks. Modric can also play behind Benzema if Isco isn't the answer, and you can play Alonso/Khedira in central midfield for more steel.

For me Bale is CR7 lite/light. He does all the same things that Ronaldo does but not as good. They are essentially both wingers (Bale has played at lb plenty) who drift inside and occupy central spaces. He is incredibly left footed whereas Ronaldo can use both feet. They are both pacy and good driblers. Ronaldo already takes the free kicks so Bale will be taking hardly any. This seems like having two wr's who wanna go deep and no Hines Ward to run the underneath routes. Unless Bale totally takes a backseat to CR7.

I suppose all of Özil's teammates and the Madrid fans being angry he was sold speaks for itself. Apparently, a great deal of CR7's goals came from Özil assists. While what you say has merit it seems to be a big change in style of play and we shall see how CR7 reacts. It seems foolish to force out the guy who seems to have been their second best player and leading assister in Europe over the past number of seasons. I don't believe Madrid are better with the moves they have made and I think Barca wins the league easily. Selling Higuain was also a huge mistake imo. (Modric is much better as a deep-laying playmaker. I think Khedira is the other starter even when Xabi Alonso is healthy.)
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:42 pm

WDWBurghGooner wrote:
slappybrown wrote:Given how you'd expect a team to play with Bale and CR -- I assume Bale shifts to the right -- why do they need Ozil, and why would Ozil want to play for them? If RM think Isco is good enough to fill the role behind Benzema (assuming they only play with one pure striker), and you play Modric with Alonso in traditional central midfield roles, Ozil seems superfluous to an extent, because the focus is clearly going to be on the flanks. Modric can also play behind Benzema if Isco isn't the answer, and you can play Alonso/Khedira in central midfield for more steel.

For me Bale is CR7 lite/light. He does all the same things that Ronaldo does but not as good. They are essentially both wingers (Bale has played at lb plenty) who drift inside and occupy central spaces. He is incredibly left footed whereas Ronaldo can use both feet. They are both pacy and good driblers. Ronaldo already takes the free kicks so Bale will be taking hardly any. This seems like having two wr's who wanna go deep and no Hines Ward to run the underneath routes. Unless Bale totally takes a backseat to CR7.

I suppose all of Özil's teammates and the Madrid fans being angry he was sold speaks for itself. Apparently, a great deal of CR7's goals came from Özil assists. While what you say has merit it seems to be a big change in style of play and we shall see how CR7 reacts. It seems foolish to force out the guy who seems to have been their second best player and leading assister in Europe over the past number of seasons. I don't believe Madrid are better with the moves they have made and I think Barca wins the league easily. Selling Higuain was also a huge mistake imo. (Modric is much better as a deep-laying playmaker. I think Khedira is the other starter even when Xabi Alonso is healthy.)

I don't really disagree with you, which is why I wouldn't have moved heaven and earth to sign Bale in the first place.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:54 pm

slappybrown wrote:
WDWBurghGooner wrote:

I don't really disagree with you, which is why I wouldn't have moved heaven and earth to sign Bale in the first place.

Definitely agree.

Making your best player unhappy is never a wise thing to do. Ronaldo on Özil:
The sale of Özil is very bad news for me,' he said.
'He was the player who best knew my moves in front of goal... I'm angry about Özil leaving.'
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:54 pm

Most assists on Ronaldo's goals:

Ozil- 27
Benzema- 17
Giggs- 14 (I think)

I can see why he's upset.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jmh470 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:53 am

Football assists are more dubious than secondary assists in hockey.

I don't doubt CRon is sad to see Ozil leave for Bale, though, much like the pelican is sad to see the old man with bread crusts leave the pier.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:24 am

Nothing dubious about Özil's assists, really. Best #10 in the game today. Problem is that many coaches don't want a #10 anymore, Ancelotti apparently among them.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IamtheWaris on Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:03 am

I guess Ancelotti prefers Isco as the #10. I would have shifted Di Maria before Ozil but Florentino Perez is not the brightest.

The new English FA chief bemoaning the number of foreigners in the PL as one of the reasons why the national team is mediocre. If anything the foreigners have improved the national team as their players have better competition and have to constantly improve or they will lose their places in the team.
IamtheWaris
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:22 am

IamtheWaris wrote:I guess Ancelotti prefers Isco as the #10.

Not a bad choice, mind you.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:08 pm

Is US-Costa Rica televised?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:21 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Is US-Costa Rica televised?

Yeah beIn sport. We are getting destroyed, 2-nil down. Really missing Bradley. The back four is getting sliced through so easily. Some of the veterans need to settle things down and go from there.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:51 pm

Look much better for a couple of mins after the Deuce peno. Unfortunately half time comes immediately after that.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:54 pm

Down 2-1 at half is rough. Hopefully an early goal in the 2nd would help set a tone.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby largegarlic on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Pretty much everything about this US game stinks at the moment. The US looks bad, Bradley's apparently on crutches, I'm watching on a crappy stream, and the commentators are terrible.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:04 pm

Honduras take the lead against Mexico after being 1-0 down, 2-1 now.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:09 pm

WDWBurghGooner wrote:Honduras take the lead against Mexico after being 1-0 down, 2-1 now.

Wow...that makes me feel better, even if a Mexico win is probably better for the US' qualifying chances.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:19 pm

US playing a lot better 2nd half, midfield has got a bit more of a foothold.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:22 pm

Honduras miss an absolute sitter that would have iced it.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:30 pm

Honduras win
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:35 pm

Rylan