Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2016 Euros)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:16 am

WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Vulcania

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby Kraftster on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:27 am

largegarlic wrote:
slappybrown wrote:Is Giroud good? Because I'm not convinced.


I'm sure the Arsenal fans here will have more considered opinions, but I think he works well for Arsenal, kind of in the same way Benzema does for Real Madrid. He's able to be this hub in the flurry of midfield movement and creativity, holding the ball up when needed, laying it off to the midfielders buzzing around him, and popping up in the box to finish crosses and poke in rebounds. Definitely not a forward to build your team around and not able to create much (anything?) on his own, but useful in the right setting.


I would consider that to be a pretty reasonable assessment. Following his struggles in his first season--and man was he frustrating to watch that first season--he's really settled in nicely, I think. I would say that his hold up play last year was really top notch. Obviously he tired and that early season form fizzled a bit, but that's rather understandable given the fact that he was run into the ground.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,602
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Frolik

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:36 am

It will be somewhat harder to root for Barca next season.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 44,375
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Ignoranti

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:43 am

Kraftster wrote:
largegarlic wrote:
slappybrown wrote:Is Giroud good? Because I'm not convinced.


I'm sure the Arsenal fans here will have more considered opinions, but I think he works well for Arsenal, kind of in the same way Benzema does for Real Madrid. He's able to be this hub in the flurry of midfield movement and creativity, holding the ball up when needed, laying it off to the midfielders buzzing around him, and popping up in the box to finish crosses and poke in rebounds. Definitely not a forward to build your team around and not able to create much (anything?) on his own, but useful in the right setting.


I would consider that to be a pretty reasonable assessment. Following his struggles in his first season--and man was he frustrating to watch that first season--he's really settled in nicely, I think. I would say that his hold up play last year was really top notch. Obviously he tired and that early season form fizzled a bit, but that's rather understandable given the fact that he was run into the ground.


Bottom line, Giroud is not clinical by any stretch of the imagination but he is a useful player due to his hold up play as you both mentioned.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Vulcania

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:48 am

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 44,375
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Ignoranti

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:53 am

Debuchy has been close to signing for about a week now. Wenger is supposedly going after Khedira next.

It's all happening despite the WC still going on.
-Mandzukic signed for Atleti.
-Filipe Luis is close to signing for Chelsea and they may be going after Pogba.
-Gareth Barry signed permanently for Everton (props to the Toffee on the board).
-Apparently, the Vidal to United chat is total crap.
-Fulham paid 11 million for some striker from Leeds.
-Lazar Markovic and Divock Origi most likely to Liverpool. Maybe Bony as well.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Vulcania

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby slappybrown on Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:19 am

Gaucho wrote:It will be somewhat harder to root for Barca next season.

"Somewhat"
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,279
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: its like bologna with olives in it

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby canaan on Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:24 am

canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 39,700
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Nevin Shapiro A&M

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:48 am



looks like the player (and maybe the ref) were keeping an eye on it.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,067
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby largegarlic on Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:50 am

It will be hard to root for Barca, especially since this WC has made me realize I don't really like Neymar either. On the plus side, I can go back to liking Liverpool.

I'll be curious to see if Liverpool can handle the "sell one superstar, buy a half-dozen good players to replace him" move better than Spurs did last year.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,083
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:56 pm

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:59 am

As a Barca fan, the only transfer that would repulse me more would have been Arjen Robben.

Robben, Suarez, Neymar..... my three least favorite footie players. Yay.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,085
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:04 pm

So Tim Howard was not a finalist for the Golden Glove award. Probably not surprising, since he was only really spectacular in that one match. But I'm surprised Guillermo Ochoa was snubbed. Even tho Mexico was knocked out in the 16, I thought he was pretty mighty.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,085
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:05 pm

I guess the Argentina guy is going to win?
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,067
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby Avyran on Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:09 pm

According to Fernando Palomo of ESPN, the World Cup MVP's 10 finalists are: Messi, Di María, Masche (Javier Mascherano), Müller, Hummels, Lahm, Kroos, Robben, Neymar, James.

I'd actually gives it to James Rodriguez, because he was the (IMO) the sole reason why Colombia went so far.

--- Edit: The 3 finalists for Golden Glove are Manuel Neuer (Germany), Sergio Romero (Argentina), & Keylor Navas (Costa Rica).

I think the goalies have been the standouts of the tournament, to be honest. This would've been hard to narrow down to 3. The Nigerian goalie, Howard, Ochoa, the Algerian goalie... lots of good performances.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,854
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: Done.

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:21 pm

I guess you'd have to at least reach the semis to win these awards. Makes sense, too. I have no idea how Lahm makes that list, though.

Neuer, imo, has been outstanding all tournament.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 44,375
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Ignoranti

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby largegarlic on Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:08 pm

The choice for MVP is tough. I could see it going to Messi, Muller, or Kroos depending on the outcome on Sunday. I'd probably wait until we see who wins the final and then give it to whoever is the most influential out of that trio.

For me, Neuer wins the Golden Glove easily. I don't think I've seen him make a mistake all tournament, and he's even taken on the sweeper role to keep teams from exploiting the lack of pace on the German back line with balls over the top.

I have no idea how Romero is a finalist with all of the outstanding keeper performances in this tournament. I can't remember one impressive save he's had, but I do remember several times when he bobbled the ball.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,083
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:56 pm

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:16 pm

I think Romero is in because of the two saved spot kicks in the semi-final and the four clean sheets (which I think equals Neuer's total). But overall I don't think he merits inclusion -- if Argentina had lost to NED, I don't think he'd be a finalist.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,085
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby slappybrown on Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:20 pm

Avyran wrote:According to Fernando Palomo of ESPN, the World Cup MVP's 10 finalists are: Messi, Di María, Masche (Javier Mascherano), Müller, Hummels, Lahm, Kroos, Robben, Neymar, James.

I'd actually gives it to James Rodriguez, because he was the (IMO) the sole reason why Colombia went so far.

--- Edit: The 3 finalists for Golden Glove are Manuel Neuer (Germany), Sergio Romero (Argentina), & Keylor Navas (Costa Rica).

I think the goalies have been the standouts of the tournament, to be honest. This would've been hard to narrow down to 3. The Nigerian goalie, Howard, Ochoa, the Algerian goalie... lots of good performances.


I disagree with you here Avy. There have been some exceptional performances, but there's been a lot of bad goaltending as well. A lot of blunders IMO. Many keepers really unsure on their exits on set pieces and corners I've noticed as well. Enyeama had some excellent saves and then blundered his team out of the WC.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,279
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: its like bologna with olives in it

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:32 pm

I think I would actually give it to Navas. I thought he was exceptional throughout Costa Rica's run.

For MVP, I can't see giving it too anyone other than Muller.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Vulcania

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby Avyran on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:01 pm

slappybrown wrote:
Avyran wrote:According to Fernando Palomo of ESPN, the World Cup MVP's 10 finalists are: Messi, Di María, Masche (Javier Mascherano), Müller, Hummels, Lahm, Kroos, Robben, Neymar, James.

I'd actually gives it to James Rodriguez, because he was the (IMO) the sole reason why Colombia went so far.

--- Edit: The 3 finalists for Golden Glove are Manuel Neuer (Germany), Sergio Romero (Argentina), & Keylor Navas (Costa Rica).

I think the goalies have been the standouts of the tournament, to be honest. This would've been hard to narrow down to 3. The Nigerian goalie, Howard, Ochoa, the Algerian goalie... lots of good performances.


I disagree with you here Avy. There have been some exceptional performances, but there's been a lot of bad goaltending as well. A lot of blunders IMO. Many keepers really unsure on their exits on set pieces and corners I've noticed as well. Enyeama had some excellent saves and then blundered his team out of the WC.

Disagree? If I'm learned anything from PR, I'm supposed to insult you & your knowledge of stuff. :scared:

I, uh... I completely forgot about that mistake vs. France. But will be happy to disagree with you otherwise, haha. :P But perhaps that kinda speaks to the lackluster offense of the tournament, especially post-group stage? (Ignoring the Brazilian implosion.) There hasn't been a team that has amazed in its ball movement & offensive skill like Spain did in 2010, I think. Whereas when I think of the major stories of the World Cup (and especially the playoffs), I think of Ochoa, Howard, and other smaller teams giving the big countries all they could handle (Algeria v. Germany, Costa Rica v. Holland, etc), in large part to the strong saves of the goalies.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,854
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: Done.

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby Avyran on Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:04 pm

Absolutely absurd that Silva was not given a red card for taking down Robben like that. Penalty or not, he was absolutely the last person and blatantly took Robben down (whether Robben dove or not - and he did - Silva fouled him).

Algerian ref... Brazilian host, & right after Brazil is humiliated... oh well.

-- Edit: Oh god... this ref is going to be the story of the game. :face:

--- Edit #2: The Gfycat of the Silva foul on Robben.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,854
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: Done.

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby columbia on Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:23 pm

It seems like the Olympics should be reserved for sports, which do not have a bigger platform elsewhere.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,889
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: دعنا نذهب طيور البطريق

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby tifosi77 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:00 pm

One goal after a non-penalty, another on an offside play. Sweet.

#becausefutbol

Avyran wrote:But perhaps that kinda speaks to the lackluster offense of the tournament, especially post-group stage? (Ignoring the Brazilian implosion.)

The ‘lackluster offense‘ has only been the knockout round. The group stage had over 130 goals; that's only like 9 or 10 shy of the goal total for the entire tournament in 2010, and is the most for a group stage since the current 32-team format was implemented.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,085
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby Avyran on Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:12 pm

Yeah, that's what I meant. We go from where almost every game is interesting in the group stage, to incredibly defensive games where only one game has more than 3 goals.

Shoulda phrased that better though, sorry. I meant to focus on the playoffs, but threw the whole tournament in.
Avyran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,854
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:45 pm
Location: Done.

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby tifosi77 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:33 pm

This referee is horrendous.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,085
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


e-mail