LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World Cup)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby largegarlic on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:11 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Rylan wrote:Messi with another fantastic game and now has 200 goals career in La Liga. Where is he ranked all time brain trust of LGP?

He's closing in on 1st, but I guess he needs to win at least one WC to challenge Pele and Maradona.

Meh, he's already 1st in my book. But 2nd and 3rd are Cruyff and Best. :wink:

I agree with Gaucho. He's definitely moving up the ranks, but needs a dominant World Cup performance and trophy (or two) to overtake Pele or Maradona. As usual, it's really hard to make these sorts of historical comparisons. Pele was before my time and I was a kid when Maradona was in his prime, so it's hard for me to judge when I primarily am going off of highlights of those guys. Pele sort of reminds me of Lemieux--just freakishly and naturally gifted with athletic and technical ability and basically unstoppable in their primes. Messi is more of a Gretzky type--not that big or fast, but quick enough, with insane technical ability and vision (and probably possessing a inimitable supporting cast).

By the way, I was watching some Fox Soccer filler show about the greatest players ever and they had an awesome quote from Best...something like, "I spend 90% of my money on women, alcohol, and fast cars. The other 10% I waste."
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:58 pm

lol, I watched that too. Loved that quote.

Edit: Also, I think this is my favorite Messi pass.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:26 am

I've only been following soccer for a couple years, so I have no memories of either Maradonna or Pele. But based on what I have seen/read/heard from each in recent times, they both seem like colossal egomaniacs and truly genuine jerks. And that's something that Messi definitely has over those two..... no one really has a bad word to say about him, either on or off the pitch. By all accounts, he somehow manages to get on with being perhaps the greatest athlete currently playing any sport in the world today without being a massive turd. For that alone I'm inclined to rank him above Pele and Maradonna.

*Disclaimer: I'm a Barça fan and have a dresser drawer full of Blaugrana t-shirts, a couple of which bear the #10.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:39 am

I think I'm going to use Best's quote as my life motto from now on haha.

Both Pele and Maradona were before me as well. But watching highlights and a bit of studying and I personally have Pele number 1. His seeming grace with the ball beats Maradona's controlled chaos. Messi needs a world cup to move up the rankings anymore, or at the very least a great showing in one.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:51 am

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:58 am

tifosi77 wrote:I've only been following soccer for a couple years, so I have no memories of either Maradonna or Pele. But based on what I have seen/read/heard from each in recent times, they both seem like colossal egomaniacs and truly genuine jerks. And that's something that Messi definitely has over those two..... no one really has a bad word to say about him, either on or off the pitch. By all accounts, he somehow manages to get on with being perhaps the greatest athlete currently playing any sport in the world today without being a massive turd. For that alone I'm inclined to rank him above Pele and Maradonna.

I agree, he is sort of the anti-CR7, which is why he's a perfect fit for Barca (and Zlatan and Eto'o were not). Not that Barca does not employ egomaniacal ****** on occasion, but guys lke Xavi and Iniesta are not only great players, they're also very thoughtful, humble, and intelligent guys. I mean, what other player besides Xavi would even know the word "altruism", let alone use it to describe his own playing style?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:59 am

Oops.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:10 pm

He is this generation's Eusébio.
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:41 pm

Not sure I agree with that.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:04 pm

I will say that as a still relative noob, the beauty in the games of players like Xavi and Iniesta is much harder to appreciate than the obvious brilliance of a Messi or Ronaldo. It's there, it just doesn't smack you in the face. You need to understand more of the nuance of the game before their gifts are visible.

But then as you watch more, a breathtaking completeness emerges in Messi's game that, for my money, separates him from the rest of world. The dribbling in a phone booth, the delicate through balls, the seeing-eye finishes, the backchecking (or whatever it's called in soccer)...... it's like he's playing a slightly different version of soccer than everyone else, and everyone else is having a hard time understanding the rules of his version.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:22 pm

I watch random teams and games and I don't learn players names, but I love watching defenders work. That is an art that is unappreciated.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:32 pm

I read something awesome the other that I really hope is true. Some experts apparently have detected a very deceptive trait in Barcas game, which would be pure genius and extremely difficult to pull off. As I said, I can't vouch for the validity of it, but here goes: In the attacking zone and in certain areas Barca sometimes loses the ball deliberately, only to immediately attack and try to get it back. Wtf, you say? Welp, as you can imagine, opponents play in a very, tight defensive formation against Barca, so what better way to get them out of their shell than by forcing them into a transition deep in their own zone. So Barca gives up the ball, their opponent goes on the attack, Barca wins back the ball, their opponent is still disorganized ... profit.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:34 pm

Gaucho wrote:I read something awesome the other that I really hope is true. Some experts apparently have detected a very deceptive trait in Barcas game, which would be pure genius and extremely difficult to pull off. As I said, I can't vouch for the validity of it, but here goes: In the attacking zone and in certain areas Barca sometimes loses the ball deliberately, only to immediately attack and try to get it back. Wtf, you say? Welp, as you can imagine, opponents play in a very, tight defensive formation against Barca, so what better way to get them out of their shell than by forcing them into a transition deep in their own zone. So Barca gives up the ball, their opponent goes on the attack, Barca wins back the ball, their opponent is still disorganized ... profit.

That would be a remarkable strategy if true. That's just amazing even if it only works once in awhile.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the errey i breathe on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:12 pm

Balotelli to Milan!! While some creativity in MF and a better backline are more pressing needs I have to admit that I'm pretty excited to see Balotelli, El Sharaawy & Niang as a young core up front. This might be enough to get them into the CL next year as they're somehow only 6 back of 3rd. Does anyone know if he is cup tied to City or is he available vs. Barca?
the errey i breathe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jmh470 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:48 pm

Never has so much ink been spilled over such a mediocre player.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:01 pm

Copa del Rey first leg between Real and Barca underway.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:35 pm

jmh470 wrote:Never has so much ink been spilled over such a mediocre player.

Well I disagree on that point.

Additionally, Maradona is the greatest of all time IMO.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Avyran on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:56 pm

Kagawa knows how to pass the ball. First-touch curved pass, right into the direction of Rooney. Every time I watch it, I'm more impressed.

Suarez also knows how to pass.
Avyran
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:27 pm

I love Kagawa.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:23 pm

David Beckham signs with Paris Saint Germain for the rest of the season. Madrid, Milano, LA, Paris... Victoria approves.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Avyran on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:01 pm

Not only that, but Beckham will donate his entire salary to a children's charity.
"I won't receive any salary. My salary will go to a local children's charity. That's one of the things we are excited and proud to do."

He added: "It's something the guys [PSG management] do, but obviously it's a very good figure. That's one thing we're very excited about. To be able to give a huge sum to a children's charity in Paris is very special."

He's obviously rich enough as it is, but still a classy move.
Avyran
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:16 pm

:thumb:

Becks is good people.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:22 pm

Avyran wrote:Image
Kagawa knows how to pass the ball. First-touch curved pass, right into the direction of Rooney. Every time I watch it, I'm more impressed.

Of course Rooney's finish is clinical.
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:05 am

Julio Cesar and Mark Bunn are putting on quite a goalkeeping exposition in this QPR/Norwich City match.
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocco on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:17 pm

If Barca wants Reina they can have him. Ugh.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR