Gaucho wrote:Rylan wrote:Messi with another fantastic game and now has 200 goals career in La Liga. Where is he ranked all time brain trust of LGP?
He's closing in on 1st, but I guess he needs to win at least one WC to challenge Pele and Maradona.
Meh, he's already 1st in my book. But 2nd and 3rd are Cruyff and Best.
I agree with Gaucho. He's definitely moving up the ranks, but needs a dominant World Cup performance and trophy (or two) to overtake Pele or Maradona. As usual, it's really hard to make these sorts of historical comparisons. Pele was before my time and I was a kid when Maradona was in his prime, so it's hard for me to judge when I primarily am going off of highlights of those guys. Pele sort of reminds me of Lemieux--just freakishly and naturally gifted with athletic and technical ability and basically unstoppable in their primes. Messi is more of a Gretzky type--not that big or fast, but quick enough, with insane technical ability and vision (and probably possessing a inimitable supporting cast).
By the way, I was watching some Fox Soccer filler show about the greatest players ever and they had an awesome quote from Best...something like, "I spend 90% of my money on women, alcohol, and fast cars. The other 10% I waste."