LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World Cup)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby largegarlic on Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:43 pm

Definitely got shaky there at the end. It's think it was a combo of the US getting a little lax and Germany picking up the intensity. Still though, much, much better than the Belgium game.

That's the best Altidore's looked in years for the US. Not sure what to think of the left back situation. Beasley was getting smoked, Castillo looked good for a couple minutes, then got smoked, and Fabian Johnson was taken off with a hamstring strain. I really like the idea of having two of those three guys at LB and LM to get some pace and width on the left side, but I'm not sure what combo I'd go with there.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:51 pm

largegarlic wrote:Definitely got shaky there at the end. It's think it was a combo of the US getting a little lax and Germany picking up the intensity. Still though, much, much better than the Belgium game.

That's the best Altidore's looked in years for the US. Not sure what to think of the left back situation. Beasley was getting smoked, Castillo looked good for a couple minutes, then got smoked, and Fabian Johnson was taken off with a hamstring strain. I really like the idea of having two of those three guys at LB and LM to get some pace and width on the left side, but I'm not sure what combo I'd go with there.

Agree with you about being a much better match than the Belgium game. They looked all around better. Altidore's play was what I have always expected from him and if he and Dempsey can continue to control up front I think they have a half decent team on paper. Bradley in the middle is what makes USA run though. As for the left side, they need to figure something out because it did not have a strong performance all game. Good game, a finish that was less than flattering, and hopefully it will translate and help them in the match against Jamaica.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:01 pm

To me, Michael Bradley has been the US's most important player for a long time now. Deuce is a baller, too bad he plays for such a Mickey Mouse outfit at club level.

Jozy can be frustrating at times but he was excellent today. I really don't like the idea of Beasley at left back. I hope Johnson's injury isn't bad because I like him a lot.

It's only their "B" squad but c'mon a win against Germany is still a win against Germany. My boys big Per and Poldi didn't exactly cover themselves in glory.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocco on Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:31 pm

With the ball, the US looked pretty good. Without the ball? Back line is a mess. Can we clone Eddie Pope and get a 25 year-old version of him out there?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:35 am

Rocco wrote:With the ball, the US looked pretty good. Without the ball? Back line is a mess. Can we clone Eddie Pope and get a 25 year-old version of him out there?

How good was Eddie Pope? Think he is the best CB the US has ever fielded, by a large margin. Too bad injuries limited his career.

I think Gonzalez will pull through. Belgium/Germany is a good learning experience for him, he doesn't see that type of movement in the MLS. Besler and Beasley, I'm not sure about but I don't see better options at the moment. The bad thing about that is they both play the left side. Certainly Bradley's pressure helped them out, as opposed to Kljestan who is a CM only in name.

They still miss Donovan. And I don't see how Bocanegra is not in this squad at this time next year, even if he isn't starting. He's a blunt instrument, but he's still better than Goodson. Best XI right now, regardless of injuries

Altidore
E. Johnson Dempsey Donovan
J. Jones Bradley
Beasley Besler Gonzalez Cherundolo

Other than Cherundolo, lots of questions in the back 4.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:23 am

count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:59 am

count2infinity wrote:http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/3199099/title/mourinho-appointed

Mourinho back in at Chelsea

I'm totally shocked.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:10 am

Jesus Navas is a quality signing for Citeh if he has his homesickness issues sorted out.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:38 pm

Gaucho wrote:Barca won the Neymar sweepstakes. It will be interesting to see if he's able to be the team player that he needs to be to be effective for them. To be to be to be. Me fail English. Whatever.

Not unexpected, but as a Barca fan I have to say this is still a little confusing. Puyol is 129 years old, Abidal is gone, Xavi's minutes have to be managed... granted, Fabregas and Villa are likely gone, but I think the team has more pressing concerns.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:15 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Barca won the Neymar sweepstakes. It will be interesting to see if he's able to be the team player that he needs to be to be effective for them. To be to be to be. Me fail English. Whatever.

Not unexpected, but as a Barca fan I have to say this is still a little confusing. Puyol is 129 years old, Abidal is gone, Xavi's minutes have to be managed... granted, Fabregas and Villa are likely gone, but I think the team has more pressing concerns.

Supposedly, Mourinho's first move as Chelsea boss is to sell David Luiz to Barca. Also Supposedly, of Thiago and Cesc, one is going to be sold and one is going to be the longterm Xavi replacement. I'd gladly take Cesc off your hands.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GaryRissling on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:30 pm

If you haven't read "fever pitch", you really, really should. Like now.

The jury of the ninth Vázquez Montalbán International Journalism Award has named the winner of the sportswriter category as Britain’s Nick Hornby, highlighting him as “a magnificent journalist and writer, an author who has been able to interpret sport as one of the great social phenomena of our time, showing style, grandeur and creativity, just like Vázquez Montalbán himself”.

http://foundation.fcbarcelona.com/detai ... lism-award
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:34 pm

So is the game tonight available on PPV or anything? Or is it with beIN subscription only?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:06 pm

I'm sure it's only with a beIN subscription. Which I have, thank you Time Warner.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:08 pm

Yeah, I confirmed that. I'm just going to go to Fox & Hound.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tomas on Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:09 pm

Official twitter of the Czech Football Association:

Mario Balotelli after getting a red card:

https://twitter.com/fotbalova_repre/sta ... 3903308800

(but Italy was able to defend the 0:0 tie in Prague)
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby GaryRissling on Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:57 pm

Explain to me again how or why US soccer would hope to promote it's brand by selling half of it's rights to a channel that makes current tv seem ubiquitous.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:08 pm

Wait, tonights qualifier is not on TV?!
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:12 pm

GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Avyran on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:28 pm

A potential disaster of a game saved in injury time.

But hey, a win's a win.

Bradley is so freaking steady in midfield though.
Avyran
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:32 am

As far as tv rights go, I believe the host team can sell the rights to whomever they want, so the US has no control over away qualifiers.

Regarding the game itself, I thought the US was about ten times better than they were at Jamaica in the first round of qualifying (when they lost 2-1). They had much better passing and created more opportunities going forward. The defense continues to look a bit shaky though.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GaryRissling on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:47 am

I can't find a good article on the BeIn rights. I understand that the host nation can choose to sell the rights to whoever they want; but what made every host nation choose BeIn? And how could they compete with the likes of ESPN?
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:58 am

I don't know this for a fact but I'm betting that it's the football association's choice to sell their rights to who/mever (I was always terrible at who and whom) they want. BeIn Sport is owned by Al Jazeera, I'm betting they have deep pockets. I know they are trying to establish themselves as a legit sports channel in this country. That's why they went hard after La Liga and Serie A and were hoping to get the Premier League.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:50 am

WDWBurghGooner wrote:I don't know this for a fact but I'm betting that it's the football association's choice to sell their rights to who/mever (I was always terrible at who and whom) they want. BeIn Sport is owned by Al Jazeera, I'm betting they have deep pockets. I know they are trying to establish themselves as a legit sports channel in this country. That's why they went hard after La Liga and Serie A and were hoping to get the Premier League.

Yeah, supposedly Bein is throwing some serious cash around to buy up US tv rights for various games/leagues. I'm sure ESPN would like the away qualifiers, but they're not going to take a loss to outbid Bein. It is crazy though that it's easier to watch Mexico away qualifiers than US ones.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:41 pm

largegarlic wrote:
WDWBurghGooner wrote:I don't know this for a fact but I'm betting that it's the football association's choice to sell their rights to who/mever (I was always terrible at who and whom) they want. BeIn Sport is owned by Al Jazeera, I'm betting they have deep pockets. I know they are trying to establish themselves as a legit sports channel in this country. That's why they went hard after La Liga and Serie A and were hoping to get the Premier League.

Yeah, supposedly Bein is throwing some serious cash around to buy up US tv rights for various games/leagues. I'm sure ESPN would like the away qualifiers, but they're not going to take a loss to outbid Bein. It is crazy though that it's easier to watch Mexico away qualifiers than US ones.

After 2014, ESPN/ABC no longer has the WC and they won't have the Premier League starting with this upcoming season. So, they might not have pursued the away qualifiers as hard as they otherwise would have.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:13 pm

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR