LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World Cup)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby pfim on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:42 am

GaryRissling wrote:I can't find a good article on the BeIn rights. I understand that the host nation can choose to sell the rights to whoever they want; but what made every host nation choose BeIn? And how could they compete with the likes of ESPN?

Yes, that is correct. They chose BeIn for the $$$$$$$.

Good to get the 3 points. Performance was a bit uneven, but there was a clear foul and offsides on the Jamaican goal, so a bit unlucky to concede as well. Klinsmann's substitutions were flat baffling, especially subbing in Edgar Castillo to play left midfield in place of Fabian Johnson.

I would say if you don't get BeIn now, you'll be getting it soon. They are gobbling up non-PL TV rights and are likely the home of the MLS after their contract with MLS expires.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:59 am

I would have thought that NBC targeted EPL rights in part so that it would cross-promote MLS. I'd think they'd only let it go if that plan flops?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:19 am

Kraftster wrote:I would have thought that NBC targeted EPL rights in part so that it would cross-promote MLS. I'd think they'd only let it go if that plan flops?

I think they got the EPL rights because the EPL rights are valuable, nothing to do with MLS. They've stated that they want to cross-promote, but their MLS ratings have been flat terrible.

Their peripheral coverage of the MLS has been much better than ESPN or Fox, but I can't tell you when they air games, there's no set schedule and you really need to look for them. They really need to have one day, one time when they televise a match. Sunday at 4. Thursday at 8.

It just reminds me of what my dad told me when we operated a retail store. If you don't open on time or if you close early, the people who show up and are turned away won't come back as they don't know when to come back. They don't want to show up again and be turned away, or go through the effort of making sure you're open. It's how I feel about the scheduling.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:34 am

pfim wrote:
Kraftster wrote:I would have thought that NBC targeted EPL rights in part so that it would cross-promote MLS. I'd think they'd only let it go if that plan flops?

I think they got the EPL rights because the EPL rights are valuable, nothing to do with MLS. They've stated that they want to cross-promote, but their MLS ratings have been flat terrible.

Their peripheral coverage of the MLS has been much better than ESPN or Fox, but I can't tell you when they air games, there's no set schedule and you really need to look for them. They really need to have one day, one time when they televise a match. Sunday at 4. Thursday at 8.

It just reminds me of what my dad told me when we operated a retail store. If you don't open on time or if you close early, the people who show up and are turned away won't come back as they don't know when to come back. They don't want to show up again and be turned away, or go through the effort of making sure you're open. It's how I feel about the scheduling.

I definitely agree with that. But I guess its only been, what, a year or so now that they've had the dedicated NBC Sports channel? If I were them, I'd go hard at soccer next year with EPL having a set MLS schedule and see if there's life. If not, then I guess no reason to go back to MLS rights after this term expires.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:02 am

I guess I'm a bit ambivalent, I think if they stay with NBC there's a better chance to grow, though in the short term if they went with BeIN, they'd be a lot more matches on.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:16 am

NBC is trying to make their sports network into a channel that can compete with ESPN. They have started small with hockey and MLS. Getting the Premier League rights is a move to gain a valuable property that ESPN doesn't already have a stranglehold on.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:41 am

If you haven't seen the NE Revolution play, I would take the chance whenever you can. Their attacking talent is very fun to watch. Need to get Diego Fagundez his citizenship and convince him to play for the US.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:14 am

Here's a 12 min preview of a documentary on Bob Bradley's time as Egypt's national team manager.
What he is doing amidst such turmoil (not to mention anti-american sentiment) is nothing short of courageous, IMO.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/06/tra ... aroah.html
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Avyran on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:53 pm

Mexico fans making themselves looking just grand by hitting Bryan Ruiz with objects while he tries to take a corner kick, not just once but twice.
Avyran
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GaryRissling on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:57 pm

What's worse: the field or Geoff Cameron's hair?
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:59 pm

The field. I think Geoff Cameron's hair is pretty cool. I wouldn't wear it, but it works for him.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:35 pm

He's been a monster either way tonight.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:43 pm

The team has been very good today. If the backline can find consistency and be strong, I actually can begin to start liking this team's chances of a quality world cup run. Especially if Donovan decides to go to one more tournament.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:56 am

Nothing to nitpick last night, they treated Panama just as they should. Eddie Johnson was excellent on the right side, Bradley was great in a role he doesn't get to play anymore with Jermaine Jones in the lineup, Beasley attacked well from the left back spot. Only negative is that he got a yellow at the end when it unraveled a bit, meaning he'll miss the Honduras match. Not feeling that great with Castillo in there against a much better Honduras squad.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:09 pm

So I was watching the Mexico-Costa Rica match last night between innings of the Pirates games. Can I ask why and broadcast produced in English is being commentated on by 3 guys who have heavy Spanish accents?
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:38 am

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/tacticsan ... 10?cc=5901

Scathing post-mortem on everyone's favorite player Mark Van Bommel.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:03 am

Honduras' top two CBs are out for Tuesday. Attack, attack, attack.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby largegarlic on Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:33 pm

The performance of the US national team these past three games has helped me get over the ignominious playoff exit by the Pens. Hopefully, they can keep it going against Honduras. Some general thoughts on the three game win streak:

1.) Bradley is really benefiting from his time in Italy. He's able to play out of pressure, dictate the tempo of the game, and still get forward to be dangerous offensively. He's looking like a legit, world-class central midfielder.

2.) The rest of the midfield has been good too. Jones and Cameron have paired well with Bradley. The Johnsons and Zusi have been good on the wings. Hopefully, Donovan comes back with a chip on his shoulder for the Gold Cup and puts himself back in the mix. If he can do that, this might be the best midfield the US has ever had, at least the best since 2002 when they had Reyna and O'Brien at their peaks.

3.) It looks like things are clicking into place for Altidore at the international level. I really loved that play against Panama when he posted up the center back, turned him, and forced him to foul for what should have been a penalty. He's just such a handful for defenses right now. I bet a team from one of the bigger leagues makes a bid for him this summer.

4.) Besler and Gonzalez are good for one or two serious breakdowns per game, but for the most part, have really stabilized the center of the defense. I forget the exact stats, but I think I read that the US has only given up one goal in the five games they've started together.

5.) The big question mark still looming for me is outside back. Beasley and Evans have done well enough, but we need real outside backs for the World Cup, not midfielders doing their best impersonations of outside backs. I really hope Chandler and Cherundolo get fit and in form for the fall qualifiers. I also wouldn't mind Castillo getting a more extended look at LB. He hasn't been very good for the US, but I keep hearing rave reviews of his club performances, which makes me hope he just needs to settle in a bit to show that at the international level. F. Johnson is good at LB, but I really like having his technical ability in the midfield.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:04 pm

Huge win for Portland. What a game to watch.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:29 pm

The Brazil side that Scolari fielded today against Japan doesn't scream World Cup winners to me. Outside of Neymar and Oscar their attack really doesn't scare me. I think Hulk is vastly overrated.

It's funny that their back four is probably their strength (Marcelo David Luiz Thiago Silva and Dani Alves). They aren't a brickwall, so they're not a strength in the conventional sense. But they all can support the attack (Luiz and Silva can chip in goals from set pieces) and have more skill and technical ability than most teams attacking players.

I'm struggling to come up with big names that are missing from this squad (Kaka and Robinho are past it). Guys like Sandro, Lucas, and Ramires are also overrated in my mind.

I think Spain, Italy, Holland, Germany, and Uruguay are all better than this Brazil side. Argentina may be better as well but they always choke.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:05 pm

Kraftster wrote:Huge win for Portland. What a game to watch.

Yeah, that was a really good game. It could have easily been 3-2 instead of 1-0...lots of amazing saves and near misses.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:10 pm

WDWBurghGooner wrote:The Brazil side that Scolari fielded today against Japan doesn't scream World Cup winners to me. Outside of Neymar and Oscar their attack really doesn't scare me. I think Hulk is vastly overrated.

It's funny that their back four is probably their strength (Marcelo David Luiz Thiago Silva and Dani Alves). They aren't a brickwall, so they're not a strength in the conventional sense. But they all can support the attack (Luiz and Silva can chip in goals from set pieces) and have more skill and technical ability than most teams attacking players.

I'm struggling to come up with big names that are missing from this squad (Kaka and Robinho are past it). Guys like Sandro, Lucas, and Ramires are also overrated in my mind.

I think Spain, Italy, Holland, Germany, and Uruguay are all better than this Brazil side. Argentina may be better as well but they always choke.

That's about what I thought of Brazil too. They're obviously a good team with some outstanding players, but they seem a clear cut below (at least) Spain and Germany, who have to be the two co-favorites for the World Cup.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:21 pm

I think that 2-1 scoreline flattered Mexico a bit. Italy could have easily won by another goal or two. Watching the Confed Cup and reading various 1-year-out-from-the-WC articles got me thinking about how I'd rank teams' chances for winning next year.

Favorites (i.e. it would be kind of surprising if one of them didn't win): Germany, Spain

Serious contenders (i.e. expected to be in quarters, wouldn't be surprising to see in semis or final, would be a little surprising to see them win over one of the favorites): Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Holland

Darkhorse contenders (i.e. expected to be in 2nd round, wouldn't be surprising to see them in the quarters, would be a little surprising to see them in the semis or final, would be very surprising to see them win over the teams above): Portugal, France, England, Belgium, Mexico, Uruguay

Long shots (i.e. expected to qualify, wouldn't be surprising to see them in the 2nd round with a good draw, would be surprising to see them in the quarters, would take a miracle for them to win the whole thing): Japan, South Korea, US, whichever mid-tier Euro sides qualify (e.g. Sweden, Czech Republic, Russia, etc.), whichever mid-tier South American sides qualify (e.g. Columbia, Ecuador), the better African teams (e.g. Ivory Coast, Ghana)

No hopers: Everyone else
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:30 pm

Looks good to me.

Extra points for including Belgium in the group of dark horses. :thumb:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:58 pm

I don't know what to make of Belgium. Clearly they are loaded. But this generation of players has never qualified for a major tournament. I could easily see them being similar to Poland from the Euros, a team that everyone tips to be a darkhorse but doesn't get out of the group.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR