LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World Cup)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby slappybrown on Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:46 pm

Juve's wage bill is double Sunderland's notwithstanding the contract and EPL's riches.

Giaccherini made 600K Euro last year. Sunderland will prob top him up to 2-3mm GBP which will be a nice raise and put him at the top of their salary structure based on what I am guessing their other top players make.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,008
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:46 pm

Juve is skint as well.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Vulcania

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby slappybrown on Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:50 pm

WDWBurghGooner wrote:Juve is skint as well.

I don't know about that. They were the 11th highest wage bill in all of football last year. They aren't approaching Barca/RM/City who are in a tranche all their own at this point, but they were in the same ballpark as Pool, for example.

Giaccherini was also playing in Serie B and C as recently as 4 years ago, so its not surprising that as a late bloomer, he was making a relative pittance.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,008
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:51 pm

Kraftster wrote:Who are Arsenal actually going to add? Surely Sonogo isn't the only attacking player to be added with them being linked to so many other names?


No idea. Higuain looked all but done but has gone quiet. Clément Grenier is French and would be in the right price range but there have been no rumors about him recently. If significant upgrades aren't brought in the fans are gonna rage after being told 70mil was supposedly available.

Sanogo was playing in Ligue 2 last season and has a significant injury history. He doesn't fill me with a ton of confidence.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Vulcania

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:59 pm

slappybrown wrote:
WDWBurghGooner wrote:Juve is skint as well.

I don't know about that. They were the 11th highest wage bill in all of football last year. They aren't approaching Barca/RM/City who are in a tranche all their own at this point, but they were in the same ballpark as Pool, for example.

Giaccherini was also playing in Serie B and C as recently as 4 years ago, so its not surprising that as a late bloomer, he was making a relative pittance.


http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/86/italy ... ys-marotta

They bid about 12mil for RVP last year, he went for 24mil. They talked about signing all kinds of big name strikers last summer and ended up bringing in Bendtner on loan. They had to pull out of the Higuain sweepstakes bc they couldn't afford him. Sure, they signed Tevez for 12mil but Citeh were desperate to get his wage off the books. Maybe skint is an exaggeration. But the days of buying Zidane and Buffon are long gone.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Vulcania

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby slappybrown on Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:10 pm

WDWBurghGooner wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
WDWBurghGooner wrote:Juve is skint as well.

I don't know about that. They were the 11th highest wage bill in all of football last year. They aren't approaching Barca/RM/City who are in a tranche all their own at this point, but they were in the same ballpark as Pool, for example.

Giaccherini was also playing in Serie B and C as recently as 4 years ago, so its not surprising that as a late bloomer, he was making a relative pittance.


http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/86/italy ... ys-marotta

They bid about 12mil for RVP last year, he went for 24mil. They talked about signing all kinds of big name strikers last summer and ended up bringing in Bendtner on loan. They had to pull out of the Higuain sweepstakes bc they couldn't afford him. Sure, they signed Tevez for 12mil but Citeh were desperate to get his wage off the books. Maybe skint is an exaggeration. But the days of buying Zidane and Buffon are long gone.

No argument with respect to Zidane-type transactions. Only Barca/RM/City/PSG at present have the wherewithal and willingness to make those deals happen. Even Chelsea has looked like a relative minnow in comparison to the spending from those 4 in recent years. I think Juve/Milan/Inter sit in the same ballpark as Pool/Arsenal. Cazorla was the largest transfer Arsenal completed since the late-90s/early-2000s if I recall. Liverpool have certainly been more profligate (lol Andy Carroll) but that was also because they were flush with Torres money. Most of Juve's acquisitions have been in the mid-teens (Euros), which is comparable to what Arsenal and Pool (Sturridge/Henderson/Borini) have done barring the Torres-related deals.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,008
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:05 pm

I'm still not sure what our record transfer purchase is because a lot of them are undisclosed. Some people say its Jose Antonio Reyes, some say Sylvain Wiltord, some say Andrey Arshavin. I've heard anywhere between 10.5 mil and add-ons to 17mil for Cazorla. Malaga were in terrible financial trouble and took less money because we paid in one installment. The fee I hear most often is 12.8. Last summer was the first time we really added a few players in the 10+ mil range (Giroud, Cazorla, Poldi). Before that there was one every so often.

I think all those clubs you have listed have been slightly ahead of us in spending ability until this summer (assuming we bring in Higuain). The difference is we supposedly have 70 mil to spend this summer. AC Milan spent all their money on Balotelli. Thats why they are looking at a guy like Honda who is on a free.

Liverpool have actually spent somewhat big recently: Stuart Downing (20), Suarez (22), Joe Allen (15), Jordan Henderson (undisc. thought to be in between 16 and 20).
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Vulcania

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:29 pm

Also, there was an absolutely horrific two-footed tackle last night on Mix Diskerud that only warranted a yellow. Lulztastic decision by the official.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Vulcania

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby Kraftster on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:53 pm

Heard Mix looked pretty good last night from my friend who was in attendance. And he is cap-tied now.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,988
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Frolik

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby slappybrown on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:31 am

WDWBurghGooner wrote:I'm still not sure what our record transfer purchase is because a lot of them are undisclosed. Some people say its Jose Antonio Reyes, some say Sylvain Wiltord, some say Andrey Arshavin. I've heard anywhere between 10.5 mil and add-ons to 17mil for Cazorla. Malaga were in terrible financial trouble and took less money because we paid in one installment. The fee I hear most often is 12.8. Last summer was the first time we really added a few players in the 10+ mil range (Giroud, Cazorla, Poldi). Before that there was one every so often.

I think all those clubs you have listed have been slightly ahead of us in spending ability until this summer (assuming we bring in Higuain). The difference is we supposedly have 70 mil to spend this summer. AC Milan spent all their money on Balotelli. Thats why they are looking at a guy like Honda who is on a free.

Liverpool have actually spent somewhat big recently: Stuart Downing (20), Suarez (22), Joe Allen (15), Jordan Henderson (undisc. thought to be in between 16 and 20).

For what its worth, TransferMarkt has Reyes and Cazorla at the top (17.6mm GBP and 16.7mm GBP respectively):

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/arsen ... in_11.html

But, like most clubs outside of Barca/RM/PSG/Chelsea/City, spending now compared to late 90s/early 2000s has been considerably slowed. Of Arsenal's top 10 transfer, only 4 have occurred in the past 5 years -- Cazorla, Arshavin, Nasri, and Ox. Spending growth was previously more linear.

Its even more pronounced for the Italian clubs:

http://www.transfermarkt.it/it/ac-milan ... ein_5.html

Only 5 of Milan's top 20 transfers have occurred in the past 5 years.

Arsenal are also in much better shape financially. I'm a Milan supporter, but I'd rather be Arsenal when it comes to the balance sheet.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,008
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby pfim on Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:16 pm

Clint Dempsey supposedly transfer-listed by Tottenham. Great news for the USMNT, two best attackers will be joining new clubs before the World Cup. Donovan likely as well...
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,789
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby largegarlic on Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:22 pm

Kraftster wrote:Heard Mix looked pretty good last night from my friend who was in attendance. And he is cap-tied now.


I think Diskerud has looked pretty good against Guatemala and Belize, so I'm cautiously optimistic about him contributing against better teams. I would still say the only two players who have really boosted their stock in these past games are Donovan and Holden. They're guys who previously were in the A-team and have looked absolutely dominant against weaker opponents, so I think they've proven enough to get called in for A-team games.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,726
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:56 pm

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby largegarlic on Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:36 pm

pfim wrote:Clint Dempsey supposedly transfer-listed by Tottenham. Great news for the USMNT, two best attackers will be joining new clubs before the World Cup. Donovan likely as well...


I saw that rumor too. I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic about our best attackers switching clubs, but I'm optimistic that a transfer for Dempsey could result in him finding more playing time and more goals. Spurs clearly (and rightfully) want to bring in more weapons to finally push themselves into one of the CL spots. Dempsey might very well get benched in favor of new signings if he stays with Spurs. I feel like Dempsey merely fit in at Spurs--he didn't seem clearly below the level, but he also didn't really elevate them either. If he moves back down to a mid-table team, he'd be very likely to have a starting spot and play a key role in the attack.

Altidore, on the other hand, was the main guy up top for AZ and was thriving in that role. The EPL is obviously a bigger league, and I'm sure Sunderland is paying him more than AZ, but I worry that Sunderland will be bad again, they'll have to bunker constantly against better teams, he'll starved of service and support, and he won't confident or in form for the World Cup.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,726
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:56 pm

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby pfim on Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:40 pm

Yes, heavy sarcasm.

Thought Dempsey to Tottenham was strange from the beginning. For both the club and player. I guess he really wanted out of Fulham and made his spot so untenable he had to take whatever the best offer was on the table. Obviously I'm not saying Tottenham were desperate, nothing like that, it was just not a good fit for him.

For all his mediocrity, he did find ways to get on the field for a team that had some issues up top. I bet he moves out of England.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,789
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby jmh470 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:19 pm

I can't fathom why a stingy team like Tottenham would sell a player they bought not one year ago at a loss when that player can still be of use to them. This would have been much more likely had the deluge of CL money been in their forecast.

Also not sure what was so mediocre about Dempsey last season. Playing and scoring regularly for the 5th best team in the world's best league is about the highest rung an American has ever grasped.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,387
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:59 pm
Location: At my Ben Murphiest

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby pfim on Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:33 pm

I don't really think Tottenham are stingy? I mean, they once spent 15 million pounds on David Bentley and 9 million on Alan Hutton.

I think they expected more than 1 in 4 given his past two seasons at Fulham, so not sure about the scoring regularly thing either.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,789
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby largegarlic on Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:56 pm

jmh470 wrote:I can't fathom why a stingy team like Tottenham would sell a player they bought not one year ago at a loss when that player can still be of use to them. This would have been much more likely had the deluge of CL money been in their forecast.

Also not sure what was so mediocre about Dempsey last season. Playing and scoring regularly for the 5th best team in the world's best league is about the highest rung an American has ever grasped.


Without a doubt he's one of the most accomplished American players ever, but I can see why Spurs fans would be disappointed. They're trying to desperately to break into the CL club and need players that will raise them to that level. If Dempsey's played as a withdrawn, second forward (probably his best position at this point), and you look at who the big 3 have in that role, you can see why Dempsey is lacking.

United has Rooney or Kagawa in that spot. City has Silva or (had) Tevez. Chelsea has Mata. I like Dempsey, but he's not on the same level as those guys, and that's what Spurs want.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,726
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:56 pm

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby jmh470 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:31 pm

largegarlic wrote:Without a doubt he's one of the most accomplished American players ever, but I can see why Spurs fans would be disappointed. They're trying to desperately to break into the CL club and need players that will raise them to that level. If Dempsey's played as a withdrawn, second forward (probably his best position at this point), and you look at who the big 3 have in that role, you can see why Dempsey is lacking.

United has Rooney or Kagawa in that spot. City has Silva or (had) Tevez. Chelsea has Mata. I like Dempsey, but he's not on the same level as those guys, and that's what Spurs want.


Agree with all of that, but right now Tottenham is merely a Europa-level team that only sniffed the CL because of Bale. Dempsey's a Europa-level player, so I think it works for them. Anyone expecting him to score near the same rate as he did at Fulham fails to appreciate the different roles he played at each.

I just don't see Spurs spending what it will take to put them firmly past Arsenal. Even with Paulinho their squad is still thin and lacking top-end talent. Apparently, the ~17m they paid for him ties their record transfer fee, so, yes, their level of spending isn't quite in line with their ambition.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,387
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:59 pm
Location: At my Ben Murphiest

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby largegarlic on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:43 pm

jmh470 wrote:
largegarlic wrote:Without a doubt he's one of the most accomplished American players ever, but I can see why Spurs fans would be disappointed. They're trying to desperately to break into the CL club and need players that will raise them to that level. If Dempsey's played as a withdrawn, second forward (probably his best position at this point), and you look at who the big 3 have in that role, you can see why Dempsey is lacking.

United has Rooney or Kagawa in that spot. City has Silva or (had) Tevez. Chelsea has Mata. I like Dempsey, but he's not on the same level as those guys, and that's what Spurs want.


Agree with all of that, but right now Tottenham is merely a Europa-level team that only sniffed the CL because of Bale. Dempsey's a Europa-level player, so I think it works for them. Anyone expecting him to score near the same rate as he did at Fulham fails to appreciate the different roles he played at each.

I just don't see Spurs spending what it will take to put them firmly past Arsenal. Even with Paulinho their squad is still thin and lacking top-end talent. Apparently, the ~17m they paid for him ties their record transfer fee, so, yes, their level of spending isn't quite in line with their ambition.


I like this way of categorizing Spurs. Anyone who realistically wants to challenge the top trio of teams is going to have to spend serious money, and Spurs just haven't shown the willingness/ability to do that, despite what they state as their intentions.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,726
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:56 pm

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby Kraftster on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:08 am

Since we actually have more than a month before the start of the season, we should definitely set up an LGP Fantasy Premier League this year. I've only done yahoo and fantasy.premierleague.com, which I prefer to Yahoo! Not sure how good any of the other options are. Who would be interested?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,988
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Frolik

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:54 am

I would definitely be interested in a fantasy league.

Sp*rs have spent money, not to the same degree as Citeh and Chelsea of course. Levy is loaded. They just buy rubbish is all. Also, they are not going to draw the top players bc they can't offer CL football.

It will be interesting to see how us and Sp*rs do this season. The three big teams have all had coaching changes so this would be the year to overtake one or more of them. However, Mourinho will most likely pick up right where he left off.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Vulcania

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby pfim on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:05 am

I'm in for Fantasy PL.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,789
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby largegarlic on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:24 am

I'd be down for an EPL fantasy league too, especially now that NBC is supposed to have ALL the games available.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,726
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:56 pm

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby Kraftster on Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:12 pm

Definitely like the moves Norwich is making. :thumb:
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,988
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Frolik

Re: LGP Futbol Thread - (CL, EPL, Serie A, Liga, 2014 World

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:34 pm

Really interested to see how Ricky van Wolfswinkel does.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:42 pm
Location: Vulcania

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Beech_is_God, DudeMan2766 and 6 guests


e-mail